Author Topic: Leftover Discussion Thread: AL Special Election  (Read 90561 times)

Offline DiogenesLamp

Re: Leftover Discussion Thread: AL Special Election
« Reply #575 on: December 13, 2017, 03:49:18 pm »
@Sighlass

Bullshit. 

First of all, I’m not a Republican.  I called myself a conservative up until this mess, but I’m done with that after watching conservatives turn off their brains, put on blinders, throw common decency out the window,

No! It is *YOU*   who turned off your brain and threw decency out of the  window.    You gleefully repeated every nuance of every false allegation made against the man.

You threw stones.   Deliberately,  and with malice aforethought. 

I have no interest in hearing you lecture anyone on "decency."

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #576 on: December 13, 2017, 03:49:37 pm »
"kiddie raper"

Trolling, trolling, trolling
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #577 on: December 13, 2017, 03:51:36 pm »
The MSM has found a winning formula and, apparently, just enough suckers for it to make a difference. Expect alot more of it.
Yeah, the fake straw hat may go the way of the Dodo Bird, but the manure spreaders will be working overtime next time. We have finally reached the tipping point where enough of the electorate can be told bullshit is cotton candy and they come running to eat their fill and proclaim it good.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #578 on: December 13, 2017, 03:52:40 pm »
I did, yet the guys who called you a Commie Pinko and said your family were questionable get all the accolades.

You know damn well that my insults really smarted.

You're a good man, Frank.

Silver Pines

« Reply #579 on: December 13, 2017, 03:53:43 pm »
I did, yet the guys who called you a Commie Pinko and said your family were questionable get all the accolades.

You know damn well that my insults really smarted.

@Frank Cannon

*sigh*

I guess now I have to carve out the time to make a long-winded post on why you’re the scum of the earth.  Maybe make it a thread. 

Are you happy now??

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #580 on: December 13, 2017, 03:54:12 pm »

Where in the Constitution does it say bleep can get married? Do you think the founders would have approved of that? Where in the Constitution does it say you can't have a religious symbol on public property? That doesn't establish a State Religion through Congress (the ones who are proscribed from doing so), but it does permit the free exercise thereof.

Hey Constitutional scholar. Where does it say anything about marriage in the Constitution? That tells me the founders didn't give a shit.

BTW, are you defending states from defying federal court orders? That's what Moore did to get canned. William Pryor and the AL Supreme Court agreed. They were his boss.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #581 on: December 13, 2017, 03:55:30 pm »
People think Luther Strange would have been a good candidate,   but had he won the primary,  the Democrats would have trotted out the accusation that he conspired with the governor to stop an investigation into wrongdoing on the governor's part in exchange for being appointed to that Senate seat.

You’ve mentioned that before.  What you’ve omitted is that Strange, being the ‘establishment pick,’ would have made a cogent counter argument to the allegations, unlike Moore on Hannity.  Strange would have had a legal team that doesn’t advertise on bus benches.  He also would have a competent spokesperson, not a Jim Bakker PTL Club reject.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 03:56:24 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Silver Pines

« Reply #582 on: December 13, 2017, 03:55:41 pm »

No! It is *YOU*   who turned off your brain and threw decency out of the  window.    You gleefully repeated every nuance of every false allegation made against the man.

You threw stones.   Deliberately,  and with malice aforethought. 

I have no interest in hearing you lecture anyone on "decency."

@DiogenesLamp   

Fair enough. 

All of those women in Alabama who wrote in names can lecture you.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #583 on: December 13, 2017, 03:56:11 pm »
Ah, but we are.   Moore's election would have led to an ethics investigation and the truly divisive prospect of forcing out a member elected by the voters.   

That was another false mantra intended to damage his candidacy.    Glenn Reynolds made a pretty good legal argument that the Senate would have been powerless to oust him,  and it was based on court rulings and "Precedent",   of which you are a big fan. 

Moore's defeat allows this debacle to be put behind us so we can concentrate on keeping the Senate, which is of course the key to securing conservative jurists.      The numbers still favor the GOP - and without Moore's baggage I remain cautiously optimistic.   

By stabbing Moore in the back,   various other Senators have convinced me that they deserve to lose the next election.   I suspect others will feel the same way as do I,  and there is a possibility many of them will choose to sit home rather than support people they regard as traitors.   Letting one of ours be a scapegoat may very well come back to bite them in the @$$.   

Some people consider unprovable accusations against a man from 40 years ago to be a bridge too far.   Do you know what I consider to be a bridge too far?   

Stabbing our people in the back.    There is no reconciliation  from supporting the enemy.    If Jeff Flake was standing for re-election,   I would send a picture of a check I would be writing for his enemy.   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #584 on: December 13, 2017, 03:57:51 pm »
YOU and the Weekly Standard don't get the fact that Roy Moore was upholding the oath he swore to the Alabama Constitution when he did that!  And he was removed by a bunch of sick lawyers for doing it!

William Pryor and the AL Supreme Court are sick lawyers? LOL. Good luck with that.

No wonder Roy lost his ass in a solid red state. There is no plausible defense to his stupidity and zealotry.

BTW I noticed you glossed over the part where Constitutional scholar Roy claimed that you needed to be sworn in on a bible to be Constitutionally placed in elected office.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #585 on: December 13, 2017, 03:58:33 pm »
Yeah, the fake straw hat may go the way of the Dodo Bird, but the manure spreaders will be working overtime next time. We have finally reached the tipping point where enough of the electorate can be told bullshit is cotton candy and they come running to eat their fill and proclaim it good.

On the bright side, now that they also believe we're at that tipping point, a great many of the Big Tent capital R types who joined up back when it was the political thing to do are now finally throwing off pretense of being 'Conservative'.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 04:00:57 pm by skeeter »

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #586 on: December 13, 2017, 03:59:13 pm »
Preach it, sister.  But don't give up on conservatism.   The number of write-ins last night exceeded Jones' margin of victory.    Good Alabamians and conservatives who would not let the ends justify the means kept Moore from the Senate.   

And what is the end?    That the Democrats can stop 100% of certain legislation with that 1% of the power they were handed.     

People who think throwing the baby out with the bathwater is a good result are just stupid.   

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #587 on: December 13, 2017, 03:59:24 pm »
@Frank Cannon

*sigh*

I guess now I have to carve out the time to make a long-winded post on why you’re the scum of the earth.  Maybe make it a thread. 

Are you happy now??

It's about time I get some recognition around this place.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #588 on: December 13, 2017, 04:00:00 pm »
One things for sure, conservatives cannot work together.  Throw out anything, no matter how weak or even an outright lie and they'll tear each other apart.  Nobody is perfect enough for them and they'd rather lose then have  an imperfect candidate win.

A bigger bunch of fools hasn't been gathered in one place since Chamberlain gave his speech.

Based on facts and the evidence – exhibit A: reliably Republican Alabama – this appears to be the sad reality.

Which made Trump’s election all that more remarkable. His example, shows us that possessing perfect morals is praiseworthy but incidental to job performance. Trump is flawed, but his actions, his performance, have mitigated his foibles to the benefit of conservatives.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #589 on: December 13, 2017, 04:00:37 pm »
"We have finally reached the tipping point where enough of the electorate can be told bullshit is cotton candy and they come running to eat their fill and proclaim it good."

@Smokin Joe, TBR, 12/13/2017

Get's my vote for quote of the decade!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #590 on: December 13, 2017, 04:01:57 pm »
Hey Constitutional scholar. Where does it say anything about marriage in the Constitution? That tells me the founders didn't give a shit.

BTW, are you defending states from defying federal court orders? That's what Moore did to get canned. William Pryor and the AL Supreme Court agreed. They were his boss.
You are right, Marriage was the purview of the Church until the government stepped in and made it a travesty. As for "Federal Court orders" on the marriage issue, the people ordered to issue the licenses were not the judges, but the Secretary of State. That's like ordering a carpenter to build a truck frame of steel--not his job. Moore just stuck with the Alabama Constitution. 10th Amendment and all that:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the People
The power to regulate marriage was not delegated to the United States. Ergo, it has and should have absolutely no say in the matter. Moore was and still is right, the court is out of line and in violation of the US Constitution in ordering the Alabama Government to violate its own State Constitution.

No wonder the Ten Commandments are so reprehensible to that nest of snakes.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 04:03:11 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #591 on: December 13, 2017, 04:05:32 pm »

Will I get those compliments if every other post, I post some profanity? Maybe?  Girly photos?

Oh, well, let's not forget Cruz-Ers stick together.  Er, I mean "alleged" Cruz supporters...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 04:15:26 pm by TomSea »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #592 on: December 13, 2017, 04:06:18 pm »

Obviously the media-weapon constantly portraying him as a bible thumping loon has nothing to do with the problem.   

He earned the appellation,  DL,  when he defied a court order to display a billboard to his religion,  when he proclaimed that Muslims couldn't serve in Congress unless they swore an oath on a Christian Bible, and when he complained we'd be better off without the 14th and 17th amendments.  Just to cite a few examples of his abject looniness. 

This fight's over, the people of Alabama have spoken.  Give it up, DL, there will be other battles in the future.     

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Silver Pines

« Reply #593 on: December 13, 2017, 04:07:52 pm »
It's about time I get some recognition around this place.

*****rollingeyes*****

Silver Pines

« Reply #594 on: December 13, 2017, 04:10:06 pm »
Will I get those compliments if every other post, I post some profanity? Maybe?  Girly photos?

Oh, well, let's not forget Cruz-Ers stick together.

Frank better tone it down.  Somebody’s jealous.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #595 on: December 13, 2017, 04:12:49 pm »
On the bright side, now that they also believe we're at that tipping point, a great many of the Big Tent capital R types who joined up back when it was the political thing to do are now finally throwing off pretense of being 'Conservative'.
They are just facing a reality that was obvious to those of us who were on board when Goldwater ran.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #596 on: December 13, 2017, 04:13:26 pm »

@Sanguine

Knock it off. You're ruining my street cred.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #597 on: December 13, 2017, 04:14:26 pm »
Isn't it time to close this "live" election thread @mystery-ak ?

There is other news we can all argue about. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #598 on: December 13, 2017, 04:15:18 pm »

Oh, well, let's not forget Cruz-Ers stick together.

Tommy. Maybe you will get posts like that if you ever post something coherent.

Cruz 2020!

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #599 on: December 13, 2017, 04:16:04 pm »
@Smokin Joe, TBR, 12/13/2017

Get's my vote for quote of the decade!

This gets mine.....

Roy Moore's Horse
@RoyMooresHorse
·
16h
I HAD NO CHOICE

I KNOW THINGS ABOUT ROY MOORE THAT WILL HAUNT YOUR SOUL

https://mobile.twitter.com/RoyMooresHorse?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fcrooksandliars.com%2F2017%2F12%2Fhorse-twitter-goes-after-roy-moore
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.