Author Topic: ‘Never Trump’ Conservatives Soften to President Trump, Hail His Achievements  (Read 19213 times)

Offline corbe

While I'm all for dropping labels and sticking to arguments...there's still an avalanche of dumb comments like "orange-lovers" and other silly references aimed at Trump supporters. I'll agree that its the flip side of the same coin in which people are labeled NT's in lieu of making a rational argument...but lets not forget which party has turned out to be radically wrong about our President.

I've seen very few on this board who are unwilling to acknowledge fair criticisms about President Trump, and in many cases those labeled as "Trumpers" are dishing out the critique. So the issue isn't that Trump supporters are intolerant of those criticizing the actions of the president, but rather, we tend to get "snippy" when the same old Trump Haters repeat the same old Trump Hate. We are smart enough to distinguish between those who have rational criticisms...and even of those who display a deep dislike of Trump's style, actions and behavior...but the broken record, everything Trump says or does is wrong folks...that's another story altogether.

@Mesaclone I read your post and understand the point you are trying to make.  I just feel a little bit differently about how you reached  your conclusion, SURE there are just a couple of 'rabid' anti-Trumpers here but most of us have moved on and ridicule through sarcasm (a form of butt-hurt) if you will, but we also have just as many 'rabid' Trumpers here who spam multiple threads also. 
    I have grown, I think, as most of us have here.  It's a tight, passionate, intellectual Community here and to the Mods go the Credit for keeping it interesting.

Merry Christmas My Friend.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
They can sure dish it out, but they can't take it.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
I listen to Mark Levin fairly often.  On Monday night he was attempting to do just what you describe.

(If you hate Mark Levin and don't view him as an intelligent, experienced, constitutionally literate, conservative voice, then skip the rest of this post!  lol)

I don't hate Levin.  I thought he did what Limbaugh used to do, but better in terms of defining and explaining Constitutionalism and how Conservatism worked under Reagan.

I thought he articulated our principles through a legal and historical prism no one else in media was doing.  I had bought all his books, was a subscriber to Levin TV when he first got that off the ground.

He was the last one I listened to before I turned it all off and canceled all my subscriptions.

There are those who warned me (one on this very board in-fact) that when push came to shove - for all of Levin's ranting and threats to leave a fallen and corrupted party - he would betray the very principles he had written and spoken of in order to put party first.  His so-called reluctant endorsement of Trump (to stop Hillary) while bashing actual Constitutionalists running on third party tickets revealed that truth that I dismissed.

Then Levin began to sound just like everyone else right before the election - and I turned him off too.

If by some cruel twist of fate, Bernie Sanders ran on the GOP ticket and won the primary - we would have had the same damn "we gotta stop Hillary" being said, the same support insisted and encouraged by the talk radio heads that they gave Trump while dismissing every concern the grassroots would have about him.

So, talk radio is off in my life.

For good.

If you respect and think Levin is the greatest thing since sliced bread - good for you.  Hooray.  Glad you can have your beliefs tickled in your ears and assuaged online.

Personally, I no longer have any use for them, and do not give my time to people who just pay lip service to principles they preach, but in the end, have no problem betraying/compromising them in order to embody a man or party with salvation and undying devotion and support.

I refuse to support a wholly corrupted institution and think if only we support them they will see the light.

It is time to think and do things differently - away from DC.  Talk radio and Levin cannot even entertain the thought much less give it anything but derision.

So - they can practice insanity without me, and I am not going to bother listening to those talking the talk, but not walking the walk.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline roamer_1

I'm considering changing my tune, when I see less of the red highlighted stuff. Until then, I'm right up on my high horse, for picking the right guy AND then seeing why I was correct to do so.

--Lower taxes

Higher spending... and printing debt.

--Less regulation

Gone in four years with the stroke of a pen.

--Defeat ISIS

Nope.

--Gorsuch

Ready to say yes on that one... Get some more history before I do.

--Etc. etc.

Meh. At best.

Peace

Nope. Farthest thing from it.

Offline Frank Cannon

Both *sides* have trigger words and they are used to incite and start fights.

Yeah. I'm damn tired of folks here triggering me with "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" at every turn.

It must stop!

Offline Night Hides Not

Yeah. I'm damn tired of folks here triggering me with "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" at every turn.

It must stop!

Some might say that's a code word for Orange Brigadiers... lol
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Frank Cannon

Some might say that's a code word for Orange Brigadiers... lol

What the hell does that mean?

Offline Night Hides Not

What the hell does that mean?

Nothing, absolutely nothing.  :thud:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline GrouchoTex

I shouldn't be so holier than thou about the Never Trumpers.

I spent the entire primary season being one of them, to the point that I was driven off of TOS (where I was a charter member) with people in hot pursuit with torches and bullwhips.

Me too, for being a Cruz supporter

But, I am proud to say that I learned quickly ... like overnight.  I wasn't struck blind on the road to Damascus, but when I woke up and Hillary wasn't president, it was a beautiful morning and, then and there, I decided to support Donald Trump if and when I could.

I woke up the day after the election and felt fine.

And I was pleasantly surprised to find almost immediately that I could support him.

Took me a while for me to trust him, to be honest.

I'm not gonna do a list but I love Nicky Halley as ambassador to that corrupt den of thieves, the United Nations.  They dared to criticize Trump for the Jerusalem move.  She stuck it to those losers big time.

I love that he is an unabashed America first guy and is serious about keeping us free of muslims taking over the country.

Those are just a couple of the things I like. 

I agree.

I'm not gonna go into the things I still don't like.  What in God's green earth is the point of that ... besides enjoying moral superiority?

The Press is in a full-court press (pun intended) to take him down.  Why should we want that or contribute to it?

I wouldn't quite go this far, no matter who gets elected, as I think we have a civic duty to point out things that we think are wrong, but there is a helluva a lot to like, to be sure.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 02:58:28 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline GrouchoTex

He is subject to scrutiny 100% of the time but it should be fair and honest as well.

Fact check: True

Offline GrouchoTex

I set fire to some golf balls this morning....

Well, it's a start....

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

I don't know about civic duty but we should certainly speak up if Trump does something wrong ... policy wise.

But not about tweets or grammar or what he eats ... blah, blah, blah.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline andy58-in-nh

And here's the 'problem' with your reasoning, Andy.

You eloquently describe the Democrats (so much so I cited you in one of my FB conversations) here, yet because you had a hard-on for Donald Trump, you withheld your vote nonetheless.

How can you justify that?   :shrug:

@DCPatriot

DC - sorry that I took so long to get back to you. Busy as hell this time of year. But to answer your question...

Here's how justify my position: last year, at this time or thereabouts, I did not trust Donald Trump. Based on observations of his history, his words and his apparent character, I thought he was an enormous risk that the American people (at least a solid chunk of them) had by then chosen to take. I chose not to join them.

Many of us on our (yes, our) side of the political divide shared similar concerns, and were sometimes vilified for expressing them.

Today, approaching the end of his first year in office, he still concerns me. I do worry about his temperament and his judgment. But for me at least, Donald Trump has passed a crucial test of competency and political ability. He has accomplished a great deal in his first year; not as much as he might have, but far more than I would have guessed. His instincts are not always true, and his arguments are not well-enough reasoned to my way of thinking, but they are close enough. And that is true in no small measure because the Left has grown ever nuttier and more dangerous by the day.

And so now I find that I must support him; not because he is Ronald Reagan reincarnated, but because he is the best and only hope we have to keep the wolves from the door. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 12:42:12 am by andy58-in-nh »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Silver Pines

I don't know about civic duty but we should certainly speak up if Trump does something wrong ... policy wise.

But not about tweets or grammar or what he eats ... blah, blah, blah.

@Emjay

Why not?  How does it hurt?

Offline Mesaclone

@Mesaclone I read your post and understand the point you are trying to make.  I just feel a little bit differently about how you reached  your conclusion, SURE there are just a couple of 'rabid' anti-Trumpers here but most of us have moved on and ridicule through sarcasm (a form of butt-hurt) if you will, but we also have just as many 'rabid' Trumpers here who spam multiple threads also. 
    I have grown, I think, as most of us have here.  It's a tight, passionate, intellectual Community here and to the Mods go the Credit for keeping it interesting.

Merry Christmas My Friend.

Merry Christmas to you as well!
I have never felt the need to "rub it in" regarding those who have opposed Trump throughout...I started myself as a Rubio guy and have a number of "don't know if I can support this guy" moments as a Trump supporter. So we have all evolved regarding Mr. Trump and his candidacy...and this is even more true of his presidency. The people who get me fired up are the drive by "orange monkey" trolls who would crap on the President if he gave them a free unicorn and a pot of gold...I have no animus whatsoever with those like yourself who express dislike for certain actions and/or policies. No man, and especially no president/politician, should escape careful criticism...even harsh criticism.

As I've said, we need to all keep our eye on the true enemy of conservatism...the Left in all its aspects. We, as a group, must be able to disagree...even passionately...while understanding that we must also have the capacity to unite when needed to oppose the never relenting assault from the Left.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Mesaclone

I don't hate Levin.  I thought he did what Limbaugh used to do, but better in terms of defining and explaining Constitutionalism and how Conservatism worked under Reagan.

I thought he articulated our principles through a legal and historical prism no one else in media was doing.  I had bought all his books, was a subscriber to Levin TV when he first got that off the ground.

He was the last one I listened to before I turned it all off and canceled all my subscriptions.

There are those who warned me (one on this very board in-fact) that when push came to shove - for all of Levin's ranting and threats to leave a fallen and corrupted party - he would betray the very principles he had written and spoken of in order to put party first.  His so-called reluctant endorsement of Trump (to stop Hillary) while bashing actual Constitutionalists running on third party tickets revealed that truth that I dismissed.

Then Levin began to sound just like everyone else right before the election - and I turned him off too.

If by some cruel twist of fate, Bernie Sanders ran on the GOP ticket and won the primary - we would have had the same damn "we gotta stop Hillary" being said, the same support insisted and encouraged by the talk radio heads that they gave Trump while dismissing every concern the grassroots would have about him.

So, talk radio is off in my life.

For good.

If you respect and think Levin is the greatest thing since sliced bread - good for you.  Hooray.  Glad you can have your beliefs tickled in your ears and assuaged online.

Personally, I no longer have any use for them, and do not give my time to people who just pay lip service to principles they preach, but in the end, have no problem betraying/compromising them in order to embody a man or party with salvation and undying devotion and support.

I refuse to support a wholly corrupted institution and think if only we support them they will see the light.

It is time to think and do things differently - away from DC.  Talk radio and Levin cannot even entertain the thought much less give it anything but derision.

So - they can practice insanity without me, and I am not going to bother listening to those talking the talk, but not walking the walk.

To summarize: You've shut out any and all voices that might contradict the anti-intellectual house of cards you've built...because the cognitive dissonance generated in your head by such radically liberal voices as Rush Limbaugh, Mark Levin, Newt Gingrich, Jerry Falwell Jr, James Dobson, Pat Robertson and Peggy Noonan was too deafening. Its clear you prefer an echo chamber consisting only of those who agree with you in every way, and who meet your biblical litmus test.   

If I say so myself....nailed it.

Offline corbe

@andy58-in-nh that was brilliantly written and I totally agree with your analysis, Thank You for sharing.

@Mesaclone I always considered you one of the very rational Briefers here, in spite of our differences and look forward to another year of your thought.

Merry Christmas, both of you Gentlemen.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline andy58-in-nh

@andy58-in-nh that was brilliantly written and I totally agree with your analysis, Thank You for sharing.

@Mesaclone I always considered you one of the very rational Briefers here, in spite of our differences and look forward to another year of your thought.

:beer: :tree3: And the same to you, sir.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Mesaclone

You sir, just made my Christmas list :beer:
I shall now drink a Fat Tire in your honor!

Seriously, have a Merry Christmas. For my part, I'm going to have my first Christmas in a VERY long time without having to go to work...my bomb dog and I will have our feet up all day chugging eggnog and, in the case of my pup, indulging in many milk bones!

Offline Mesaclone

@DCPatriot

DC - sorry that I took so long to get back to you. Busy as hell this time of year. But to answer your question...

Here's how justify my position: last year, at this time or thereabouts, I did not trust Donald Trump. Based on observations of his history, his words and his apparent character, I thought he was an enormous risk that the American people (at least a solid chunk of them) had by then chosen to take. I chose not to join them.

Many of us on our (yes, our) side of the political divide shared similar concerns, and were sometimes vilified for expressing them.

Today, approaching the end of his first year in office, he still concerns me. I do worry about his temperament and his judgment. But for me at least, Donald Trump has passed a crucial test of competency and political ability. He has accomplished a great deal in his first year; not as much as he might have, but far more than I would have guessed. His instincts are not always true, and his arguments are not well-enough reasoned to my way of thinking, but they are close enough. And that is true in no small measure because the Left has grown ever nuttier and more dangerous by the day.

And so now I find that I must support him; not because he is Ronald Reagan reincarnated, but because he is the best and only hope we have to keep the wolves from the door.

This is a very mature evolution. Not many people are capable of that. Kudo's to you, sir. And just so you know, even those of us who are long time Trump voters have the same concerns you do about Mr. Trump. He has no free pass from any of us, but as you said...the wolves are at the door.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
@DCPatriot

Thanks for a good post.

You have explained your position well and I totally agree with it.

And the wolves are ravenous and howling as we speak.

That's why I will never join in the anti-Trump rhetoric so popular around here.  The wolves do not need any help and I won't give it to them.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
You sir, just made my Christmas list :beer:
I shall now drink a Fat Tire in your honor!

Seriously, have a Merry Christmas. For my part, I'm going to have my first Christmas in a VERY long time without having to go to work...my bomb dog and I will have our feet up all day chugging eggnog and, in the case of my pup, indulging in many milk bones!

Merry Christmas, @Mesaclone Have a great day.  I love eggnog but will have to settle for beer.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
No one has mentioned this and it may be totally off topic but Trump has given us a great First Lady.

Melania is a STAR.

Offline corbe

Oh yea

Uncle Lucius - Keep The Wolves Away
! No longer available

Offline libertybele

No one has mentioned this and it may be totally off topic but Trump has given us a great First Lady.

Melania is a STAR.

Yes she is.  It didn't take long for Michael to lose her popularity; the MSM is still trying to make comparisons, but they've become laughable.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.