Author Topic: BREAKING- DeSantis drops out of presidential race  (Read 5969 times)

Offline LMAO

Re: BREAKING- DeSantis drops out of presidential race
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2024, 02:58:36 pm »
Correct.  Look what happened to Mike Pence.  Only a fool would step up and run (and serve) as Trump's Vice President.

And they hate Mike Pence for doing the right thing
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline the OlLine Rebel

« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2024, 03:32:03 pm »
INSTANTLY credz all gone if he latches onto the tar baby.

Well today there is a crawl saying DeSantis has no chance of being on the cabinet, per Trump?

Of course, that could be Klintoon speak for “VP is not cabinet”.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2024, 03:45:26 pm »
Correct.  Look what happened to Mike Pence.  Only a fool would step up and run (and serve) as Trump's Vice President.

It would be career suicide.  I'm not sure DeSantis gets the picture though.  He was deferential to Trump over the past year, and it made his campaign a pointless exercise. 

Online roamer_1

« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2024, 09:16:37 pm »
Well today there is a crawl saying DeSantis has no chance of being on the cabinet, per Trump?

Of course, that could be Klintoon speak for “VP is not cabinet”.

Who knows? Everything is a shake of the bones with Tumpy. It is never by intent or long term design.
So his picks, I believe, are of the moment (much as his governance), and in that, as prescient as drawing a name out of a hat.  :shrug:

It is more from the other direction... That DeSantis would purposefully join to Tumpy as VP, and literally throw fiscal Conservatism, libertarianism, and his battle against the woke empire all to the wind, for the singular sake of advancement - THAT would be a mortal scar.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2024, 09:21:09 pm »
It would be career suicide.  I'm not sure DeSantis gets the picture though.  He was deferential to Trump over the past year, and it made his campaign a pointless exercise.

In a normal campaign season, candidates ARE deferential to each other - It is not supposed to be about the man... I is supposed to be about the plan. If that is true, the debate can be deferential and polite, as different plans are aired and discussed.

I think DeSantis was trying to adhere to that. He certainly knows how to throw stones. He is merciless against the woke. But he held his fire, for the most part, in the campaign.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2024, 11:07:37 pm »
But it is an interesting situation.

Why would this man drop out right before another primary, just a week after a primary where Ron finished MUCH BETTER than anyone expected?  He was 2nd and he was above 20%!  All the downers were saying Ron is at single digits, he can’t even beat Haley.  But he did, if only a little.  It was very competitive and I think they are making inroads.  We’ll see tomorrow.  But as it is it does not make sense to me to drop out just now.

Two possible reasons, I think.

One is that he may believe that he couldn't beat Trump unless he could add the support of moderate Republicans to that of some conservatives, but Haley has that lane.  The other is that he was GOP Public Enemy No. 1 to many Trumpers because he was challenging Trump, and now, it's Haley who is the villain to them.  So maybe he figures that stopping now is the best way to preserve his viability for 2028.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2024, 11:11:12 pm »
Two possible reasons, I think.

One is that he may believe that he couldn't beat Trump unless he could add the support of moderate Republicans to that of some conservatives, but Haley has that lane.  The other is that he was GOP Public Enemy No. 1 to many Trumpers because he was challenging Trump, and now, it's Haley who is the villain to them.  So maybe he figures that stopping now is the best way to preserve his viability for 2028.

I don’t think it will be Ron DeSantis in 2028.

Trumper’s have convinced themselves of the myth that Donald Trump saved Ron DeSantis’s political career.

Even after Trump loses here again in 2024, I would not doubt for one second his supporters will try to run him again
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2024, 11:13:39 pm »
In a normal campaign season, candidates ARE deferential to each other - It is not supposed to be about the man... I is supposed to be about the plan. If that is true, the debate can be deferential and polite, as different plans are aired and discussed.

I think DeSantis was trying to adhere to that. He certainly knows how to throw stones. He is merciless against the woke. But he held his fire, for the most part, in the campaign.

With Trump you almost can't win. If you do nothing he pecks you to death. If you fight back he makes himself a martyr. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I have no use for that kind of passive-aggressive bleeding vagina campaigning (sorry ladies). I think RDS realized that no matter what he did he wasn't going to crack the Trump wall of never ending loyalty.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2024, 11:15:05 pm »

Trumper’s have convinced themselves of the myth that Donald Trump saved Ron DeSantis’s political career.

Even after Trump loses here again in 2024, I would not doubt for one second his supporters will try to run him again

My money is on Sarah Huckabee Sanders. She right now is acceptable to both camps.

That is if the nation isn't a smoldering ruin by then.
The Republic is lost.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2024, 12:52:04 am »

Yes. Cruz faces that dilemma.