Author Topic: Trump Shreds DeSantis: He ‘Can’t Win the General Election’ Because of Record on Entitlement Programs  (Read 7134 times)

Offline corbe

Weren't that what Al Gore's lockboxes were about?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Show me the law that says that

@LMAO

Show me the law that says it is legal.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
You paid taxes to support people who are now dead.  That money is gone.  The working age population could vote to cut you off at any time.  Might as well face the ugly truth - it’s a Ponzi Scheme. I have never understood the affection people have for SSA. It’s something akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

@cato potatoe

Which means you grew up privleged,not poor. I remember watching my father get on his knees in the bathtub and pull some of his own teeth (I think it  was 3 or them) one weekend because he couldn't afford to lose a half-day of work,or maybe a full day,to go to a dentist. He used a pair of pump pliers and a nut pick.

The day he got so old he had to quit working was the same day he and my mother had no income.

The first place I can remember living was in an abandoned camper trailer in the woods because my  family  couldn't afford to pay rent while he looked for a job and got his first paycheck. Even then,the house we rented after he did get a job didn't have running water . It had a hand pump that had to be primed. It didn't have a toilet either. It had an outhouse. Got cold in the winter because the only heat came from the kitchen stove,and we couldn't afford to run it unless my mother was cooking,or first thing in the morning when we all got out of our beds. We lived there for a year or two before we could afford to move into a good house with central heat and running hot water.

My older brother (he was 12 at the time) came down with Type 1 diabetes and spend time in a hospital recovering,and of course we didn't have any health insurance. I don't think many working-class families did back in the early 50's.

He finally had to quit working as a carpenter when he was in his 60's,and starting drawing SS.

There was nothing remarkable about his circumstances back then. It was common for working-class people.

I am sure there are others here with similar family histories.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
??? It's one thing to pay taxes on goods, property, etc., and it's quite another to have money taken out of your check for your labor.

That is what I object to.  You get paid to work a job; that is your labor...to be taxed for working is ridiculous -- again, regardless of law, to be taxed on your labor is plain absurd. The gov't didn't lay those bricks, nail shingles, cut wood to build houses, paint, answer the phone, serve dinner, bake a cake, clean homes, clean a sewer, work on an oil rig, teach a class, drive a bus, etc. However money is automatically taken out for your labor before you see a dime.  So -- $$ is taken out for your labor.  Think about it.  On your paycheck stubs for your labor it indicates $$ automatically deducted going into FICA and Medicare. 7.6% of money that you worked for is automatically deducted.

So, don't tell me it isn't MY money. The gov't didn't do my darn job.

That is just plain WRONG!

@libertybele

Ok,so WHERE was/is the government supposed to get all the money to build roads,sewers,water systems,etc,etc,etc,if not from tax money?

Simple question,and I expect an answer given that you  are so convinced they don't need  to tax citizens.

Online LMAO

@LMAO

Show me the law that says it is legal.

You made the claim that spending Social Security money on other things outside of SS  was  a crime. Show me the law that says that.

I will help you out. There is nothing that says that money collected for Social Security must all be spent on Social Security payments.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online LMAO

For those that are claiming that the law on SS is subservient to their feelings, and that they’re entitled to that  money they paid into Social Security, what legal recourse do you believe you have if tomorrow the government said we’re taking Social Security money and we’re going to invest it in green energy?

Answer… You would be  shit out of luck if they did that. That’s why I’ll never understand why people have so much faith in government to take care of them.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Online LMAO

@LMAO

As for even those entitled to it getting more than they paid in,there is no secret about this. It's called "inflation".

That is not the reason why many people are getting more in SS benefits than they paid into it. It’s laughable you think that the reason  is inflation.

Barry Goldwater

Online LMAO

It’s mind-boggling how people think that their  personal beliefs and opinions somehow overrides the law

Nobody is entitled to Social Security benefits. I don’t care what a politician tells you.  Barack Obama claimed that you would still get to keep your insurance plan under his Obamacare. But if you read the ObamaCare law, and the requirements it places on insurance,  there was no way that most people would be able to keep their plans

It didn’t matter what Obama told people or what he promised people. What mattersed is what the law said.

Barry Goldwater

Online roamer_1

Nobody is entitled

There's the truth of it. There is no entitlement. Other then the protection of our rights.

Online cato potatoe

Which means you grew up privleged,not poor.

Nope, not privileged like con artist Donald Trump, who prefers to hire third world migrants, but also delights in stiffing people like your father.  The stories are endless. 

Social Security is a rather successful scam which has kept the bulk of Americans desperate for a monthly check, and fearful of any changes to the law.  Most of them have no financial independence because they were required to participate in a Ponzi scheme. 

Online LMAO

Social Security is a rather successful scam which has kept the bulk of Americans desperate for a monthly check, and fearful of any changes to the law.  Most of them have no financial independence because they were required to participate in a Ponzi scheme.

Not just fearful, but entitled. You can see it here. We have posters that believe that it’s their money that was taken out of their check and put away for them for their future and no amount of telling them that that’s not the law is convincing them.  You can’t talk people out of their fantasies.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 11:14:50 am by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Nope, not privileged like con artist Donald Trump, who prefers to hire third world migrants, but also delights in stiffing people like your father.  The stories are endless. 

The ONLY difference between what Bernie Madoff did and what our government continually does is government backing. 

Somebody please point me to the constitutional language that authorizes government run insurance schemes, I can't find it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
@libertybele

Ok,so WHERE was/is the government supposed to get all the money to build roads,sewers,water systems,etc,etc,etc,if not from tax money?

Simple question,and I expect an answer given that you  are so convinced they don't need  to tax citizens.

User fees.

There are some things that need to get funded beyond that, especially defense.  But those things should not amount to more than 10 percent of GDP, maybe a bit more in war time. Ten percent of GDP could easily be collected with a VAT, national sales tax or flat income tax of some kind.  There is no need for the kind of intrusion into our personal lives that the IRS engages in.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
User fees.

There are some things that need to get funded beyond that, especially defense.  But those things should not amount to more than 10 percent of GDP, maybe a bit more in war time. Ten percent of GDP could easily be collected with a VAT, national sales tax or flat income tax of some kind.  There is no need for the kind of intrusion into our personal lives that the IRS engages in.

I'm all in for the method universally endorsed by our founders. Taxes on articles of consumption only!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

Not just fearful, but entitled. You can see it here. We have posters that believe that it’s their money that was taken out of their check and put away for them for their future and no amount of telling them that that’s not the law is convincing them.  You can’t talk people out of their fantasies.

Fantasy?  How is it a fantasy that every single paycheck money is taken out and how is it a fantasy that on that paycheck $$ is appropriated to FICA and Medicare?  Thinking that it doesn't happen or that there is some justification to tax me on my labor is fantasy.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

User fees.

Amen!

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

@libertybele

@sneakypete if you read my post I mention tax on goods -- again what I have a problem with is being taxed on my labor.

Offline Hoodat

The ONLY difference between what Bernie Madoff did and what our government continually does is government backing. 

Also with Madoff, you had a choice.  You didn't have to 'invest' with him if you didn't want to.  But with Social Security, there is no such choice.  You are forced to invest at the point of a gun.

If Madoff deserved prison, then many times more so for those who plague us with Social Security, the greatest guarantor of cyclical poverty that our government has ever engaged in.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Also with Madoff, you had a choice.  You didn't have to 'invest' with him if you didn't want to.  But with Social Security, there is no such choice.  You are forced to invest at the point of a gun.

If Madoff deserved prison, then many times more so for those who plague us with Social Security, the greatest guarantor of cyclical poverty that our government has ever engaged in.

The social security payroll tax is the most regressive tax in existence. If you earn any amount you pay it!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Kamaji

The social security payroll tax is the most regressive tax in existence. If you earn any amount you pay it!

And once you earn above a certain amount, you stop paying the social security portion of the payroll tax (the medicare tax does not have a cap), which makes it doubly regressive.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Fantasy?  How is it a fantasy that every single paycheck money is taken out and how is it a fantasy that on that paycheck $$ is appropriated to FICA and Medicare?  Thinking that it doesn't happen or that there is some justification to tax me on my labor is fantasy.

:beer:   We finally agree on something, lately!!   :laugh:

And for most of my working careers I was a 1099 Independent Contractor.

But I remember my 1st part time job when in high school, working a short-order grill.

$1.25 an hour. 

They took money out of that for FICA    :silly:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 03:43:21 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Hoodat

And once you earn above a certain amount, you stop paying the social security portion of the payroll tax (the medicare tax does not have a cap), which makes it doubly regressive.

Another way it violates equal protection is by allowing exemptions for government workers.  If you work for a state or local government that has its own retirement fund, you don't have to pay social security taxes.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Kamaji

Another way it violates equal protection is by allowing exemptions for government workers.  If you work for a state or local government that has its own retirement fund, you don't have to pay social security taxes.

That's not a violation of equal protection.

Offline Hoodat

That's not a violation of equal protection.

A public school teacher can opt out while a private school teacher cannot?  That violates equal protection.  If one person can voluntarily opt out, then anyone should be able to opt out.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Kamaji

A public school teacher can opt out while a private school teacher cannot?  That violates equal protection.  If one person can voluntarily opt out, then anyone should be able to opt out.

No, it does not.  Why?  Why should everyone be able to opt out?  That might make good policy - one could debate that - but equal protection is a Constitutional right, and not a matter of judgment in the wisdom, or lack, of a certain policy.