Author Topic: DeSantis underwhelms Britain’s business chiefs  (Read 6607 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

DeSantis underwhelms Britain’s business chiefs
« on: April 29, 2023, 03:20:07 pm »
UK captains of industry lambast ‘low-wattage’ US presidential hopeful.
Politico EU, Apr 29, 2023

LONDON — He hopes to win the hearts and minds of devoted Donald Trump supporters ahead of next year’s U.S. election.

But Republican presidential hopeful Ron DeSantis failed to impress British business chiefs at a high-profile London event Friday, in a tired performance described variously as “horrendous,” “low-wattage” and “like the end of an overseas trip.”

The Florida governor, expected to launch his bid next month to challenge Trump as the Republican nominee for the 2024 presidential race, met with more than 50 representatives of major U.K. firms and business lobbying groups as a part of a four-country “trade mission” ending in London Friday.

His trip was officially billed as an attempt to build Florida’s economic relationships with the U.K., Israel, South Korea and Japan, but it has been widely seen in Washington as a chance for DeSantis to present himself as a statesman on the world stage.

For several of those present, however, the statesmanship was lacking.

One U.K. business figure said DeSantis “looked bored” and “stared at his feet” as he met with titans of British industry in an event co-hosted by Lloyd’s of London — the world’s largest insurance marketplace.

“He had been to five different countries in five days and he definitely looked spent, but his message wasn’t presidential,” they told POLITICO. “He was horrendous.”

A second business figure who was in the room said it was a “low-wattage” performance and that “nobody in the room was left thinking, ‘this man’s going places’.”

They said: “It felt really a bit like we were watching a state-level politician. I wouldn’t be surprised if [people in attendance] came out thinking ‘that’s not the guy’.”

“There wasn’t any stardust.”

A third person present at the event agreed “it felt like the end of an overseas trip — which it was,” but insisted DeSantis “came across well.” The best a fourth could muster was that DeSantis was “fine.”

https://www.politico.eu/article/ron-detedious-how-desantis-underwhelmed-britains-business-chiefs/

Offline Kamaji

Re: DeSantis underwhelms Britain’s business chiefs
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2023, 03:21:00 pm »
But they're in love with the Orange Nincompoop, no doubt.

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2023, 03:23:39 pm »
But they're in love with the Orange Nincompoop, no doubt.

And your point?

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2023, 03:30:31 pm »
And your point?

That whatever you might have to say about RDS - other than your baldfaced lies - applies 10x over to Trump.

I find it simply fascinating that such a cult of personality has developed around Trump that he can go right back to spouting old-school 20th Century liberal pablum, and you people lap it up like it was some new-found revelation from God.

The truest thing Trump ever said was that he could go out onto Fifth Avenue and shoot someone in cold blood, and people like you would not only continue to support him, you'd cheer him on and justify his act of murder.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2023, 03:37:35 pm »
That whatever you might have to say about RDS - other than your baldfaced lies - applies 10x over to Trump.

I find it simply fascinating that such a cult of personality has developed around Trump that he can go right back to spouting old-school 20th Century liberal pablum, and you people lap it up like it was some new-found revelation from God.

The truest thing Trump ever said was that he could go out onto Fifth Avenue and shoot someone in cold blood, and people like you would not only continue to support him, you'd cheer him on and justify his act of murder.

Yup
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2023, 04:00:37 pm »
UK captains of industry lambast ‘low-wattage’ US presidential hopeful.

Did any of those British economist know or bring up the fact that DJT rang up a record budget defict (actual and inflation adjusted) than any other POTUS in history?

Now that is not only underwhelming, but almost criminal.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2023, 04:05:32 pm »

Nah....titans of industry from around the world appreciate Donald Trump --- a man who understands global economics, the art of the trade deal, and who doesn't need a a script written by staffers to talk any and all of it.  Trump's the real deal; DeSantis isn't even good at hiding he's not.

I'm sure global business leaders also appreciate Trump shaking their hands and looking them in the eye when talking with them.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2023, 04:08:49 pm »
Nah....titans of industry from around the world appreciate Donald Trump --- a man who understands global economics, the art of the trade deal, and who doesn't need a a script written by staffers to talk any and all of it.  Trump's the real deal; DeSantis isn't even good at hiding he's not.

I'm sure global business leaders also appreciate Trump shaking their hands and looking them in the eye when talking with them.
Utter baloney.  Corporate titans understand how corporate debt impact EPS, market cap, and business development.  Trump and his predecessors are effectively bankrupting this country.  Are you for that?

If you keep on touting Trump's economic accumen, you are going make yourself look ridiculous.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2023, 04:09:54 pm »

:mauslaff:

They enjoy another big-government liberal who, when the chips are down, makes sure that they get all the government subsidies they need.

Pfizer luvs them some Trump!

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2023, 04:11:39 pm »
Did any of those British economist know or bring up the fact that DJT rang up a record budget defict (actual and inflation adjusted) than any other POTUS in history?

They were business leaders there to discuss trade with Desantis ---- and Desantis couldn't do it.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2023, 04:14:39 pm »
They were business leaders there to discuss trade with Desantis ---- and Desantis couldn't do it.

Okay, you got me there.  Maybe he needs to bone up a little on some peripheral issues.  But OTOH, don't make DJT out to be some kind of Coolidge.

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2023, 04:15:14 pm »
If you keep on touting Trump's economic accumen, you are going make yourself look ridiculous.

I'll keep touting Trump's trade accumen, but only if you keep touting DeSantis's.   wink777

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2023, 04:17:21 pm »
Okay, you got me there.  Maybe he needs to bone up a little on some peripheral issues. 

"Peripheral"???   :facepalm2:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2023, 04:19:33 pm »

:mauslaff:

There isn't a single substantive criticism of DeSantis in that entire article from these supposed British business leaders.  Instead, their complaints amount to "he wasn't bushy-tailed and bright-eyed enough".  Here are the complaints:

DeSantis “looked bored” and “stared at his feet”

- nothing of substance there

“He had been to five different countries in five days and he definitely looked spent, but his message wasn’t presidential,”

- no substantive criticism there, either.

it was a “low-wattage” performance and that “nobody in the room was left thinking, ‘this man’s going places’.”

- again, no substantive criticism.

Then there's that infamous creature, "they" who had this to say:

“It felt really a bit like we were watching a state-level politician. I wouldn’t be surprised if [people in attendance] came out thinking ‘that’s not the guy’.”

- again, no substantive criticism, just whingy complaints about optics.

But here's the best - this is devastation in true Trumpian fashion:

“There wasn’t any stardust.”

Meanwhile, on the actual substantive matters, here's the key point:

A government official said Badenoch, a rising star in the Conservative Party, and DeSantis had a “fruitful” conversation and that the pair “got on well.”

However, the pair did not discuss the prospect of a state-level economic Memorandum of Understanding between the U.K. and Florida, despite Britain’s efforts to sign similar arrangements with other U.S. states.

A second official said Badenoch’s team “wanted to avoid talking about a Florida MoU” as others are being prioritized, and because of the difficult optics for a British government also dealing with Joe Biden’s White House on several trade-related issues.

In other words, DeSantis was able to talk trade, and did so in a "fruitful" manner.

So, just another hit-piece from the master of TBR PhD.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2023, 04:19:49 pm »
Politico.  Nice going RIV.

Let’s not kid ourselves.  Everyone in the world knows Trump is an idiot, except for some angry people in the rural United States.  Our image suffered tremendously after his election. 

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2023, 04:20:23 pm »

And Trump was prepared in 2015?  Damn, you've gotten silly.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2023, 04:20:51 pm »
Okay, you got me there.  Maybe he needs to bone up a little on some peripheral issues.  But OTOH, don't make DJT out to be some kind of Coolidge.

@catfish1957

Except that, if one reads the actual article, that is not what the story is about.  In fact, the only comment on the substantive matters indicated that DeSantis had a "fruitful" discussion with Business and Trade Secretary Kemi Badenoch.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2023, 04:22:08 pm »

Let’s not kid ourselves.  Everyone in the world knows Trump is an idiot, except for some angry people in the rural United States.  Our image suffered tremendously after his election.

Thanks ....  I didn't even notice it was Poltico.   Not that those guys have ever been caught distorting or lying.   :thud:

RIV's getting desperate for sources of his RDS hit pieces.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2023, 04:22:48 pm »

Wow.  You really don't even both reading the articles you post, do you.  For all intents and purposes, you appear to just read the headline, and if it's suitably anti-DeSantis, you just post it.

Here's the only meaningful comment on DeSantis' grasp of substantive matters, from that very same article:

A government official said Badenoch, a rising star in the Conservative Party, and DeSantis had a “fruitful” conversation and that the pair “got on well.”

However, the pair did not discuss the prospect of a state-level economic Memorandum of Understanding between the U.K. and Florida, despite Britain’s efforts to sign similar arrangements with other U.S. states.

A second official said Badenoch’s team “wanted to avoid talking about a Florida MoU” as others are being prioritized, and because of the difficult optics for a British government also dealing with Joe Biden’s White House on several trade-related issues.

A Foreign Office spokesperson said Cleverly and DeSantis discussed “the close and important relationship between the U.K. and Florida.”

Sounds to me like DeSantis did quite nicely where it matters - on the substance.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2023, 04:23:02 pm »
All this would be mildly entertaining if there wasn’t so much at stake. It would be different if Trump was winning elections for Republicans but he’s an election loser outside the reddest of red areas. He got very lucky in 2016. History hasn’t repeated itself.

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2023, 04:36:13 pm »

Back away from the democrat Kool-Aid ---- while you're still able.   000hehehehe

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2023, 04:40:29 pm »

There isn't a single substantive criticism of DeSantis in that entire article from these supposed British business leaders.  Instead, their complaints amount to "he wasn't bushy-tailed and bright-eyed enough".  Here are the complaints:

- nothing of substance there

- no substantive criticism there, either.

- again, no substantive criticism.

Then there's that infamous creature, "they" who had this to say:

- again, no substantive criticism, just whingy complaints about optics.

But here's the best - this is devastation in true Trumpian fashion:

Meanwhile, on the actual substantive matters, here's the key point:

In other words, DeSantis was able to talk trade, and did so in a "fruitful" manner.

So, just another hit-piece from the master of TBR PhD.

You sound more angry than usual, bro.  The article must have clipped an artery.   88devil

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2023, 04:45:45 pm »
You sound more angry than usual, bro.  The article must have clipped an artery.   88devil

Heh heh heh  :laugh:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2023, 05:36:01 pm »

Yeah, putting up with your lies will do that to even the most level-headed of us here.

Online libertybele

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2023, 05:59:29 pm »
DeSantis making trade deals??? That's not his job.

IMHO DeSantis is slowly introducing himself to world leaders.  Nothing more.  He's getting his feet wet to see if there's a viable path to the presidency in '24.

Trump was a known presence on the global stage, that can't be denied.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.