Author Topic: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread  (Read 46375 times)

Online Hoodat

Re: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread
« Reply #1025 on: January 06, 2023, 08:47:08 pm »
But, they are standing up to hold McCarthy’s feet to the fire. They want solid conservative concessions from him BEFORE they vote for him. I can’t see how you don’t stand up for that.

Once you realize that the "drain the swamp" mantra has been complete bullshit from Day One, it becomes clear.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1026 on: January 06, 2023, 08:47:23 pm »
These guys didn't have a plan either.

I think this went EXACTLY according to plan.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1027 on: January 06, 2023, 08:48:04 pm »
🇺🇸 Mike Davis 🇺🇸
@mrddmia

Lauren Boebert will have Kevin McCarthy's balls in her purse for the next 2 years.

If only.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #1028 on: January 06, 2023, 08:48:47 pm »
What are we on now...roynd 14?    Man this should have been a drinking game.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #1029 on: January 06, 2023, 08:50:41 pm »
What are we on now...roynd 14?    Man this should have been a drinking game.

:thumbsup:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #1030 on: January 06, 2023, 08:52:42 pm »
He had plenty of time  to work out all the scenrios he'd need to build the caucus?

There were literally hundreds of possible combinations of people that could have ended up in the GOP caucus after the election.   The idea that McCarthy should have been able to negotiate with each of those possible combinations, figuring out exactly what concessions would have to be made to each person within each of those combinations to get them to 218, while all those people were in the middle of a race, is just ridiculous.  If you want to believe that, though, that's your business.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 08:53:52 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1031 on: January 06, 2023, 08:53:32 pm »
I think this went EXACTLY according to plan.

Whodathunk they'd have held strong for that many votes and extracted what concessions they did?

We came out alot better than what I thought we would going in.

If there was an organizer for all that, they get a hat tip for the testicular fortitude or titanium ovaries alone.
The Republic is lost.

Online DB

« Reply #1032 on: January 06, 2023, 08:54:03 pm »
There were literally hundreds of possible combinations of people that could have endedup in the GOP caucus after the election.   The idea that McCarthy should have been able to negotiate with each of those possible combinations, figuring out exactly what concessions would have to be made to each person within each of those combinations to get them to 218, while all those people were in the middle of a race, is just ridiculous.  If you want to believe that, though, that's your business.

The election was a month ago.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1033 on: January 06, 2023, 08:54:11 pm »
I've been fighting @roamer_1  for years here at TBR about the so called binary choice for the betterment of the country around party loyalty.  I am about to concede. 

If any thing has taught me this week, is that the "Uni-Party label"  is more than a motif.  It's a real and destructive force strangling  the long term functionality of this country.

I was a pioneer southern Republican, and the 3rd in the history of my County to Register so in 1975.  Looks like that relationship is crumbling
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #1034 on: January 06, 2023, 08:54:38 pm »
Adjourned for the day it looks like.

Anyone catch when they were to reconvene?
The Republic is lost.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1035 on: January 06, 2023, 08:55:55 pm »
Adjourned for the day it looks like.

Anyone catch when they were to reconvene?

10 p.m EST
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online corbe

« Reply #1036 on: January 06, 2023, 08:56:09 pm »
    10 EST
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1037 on: January 06, 2023, 08:56:53 pm »
Whodathunk they'd have held strong for that many votes and extracted what concessions they did?

We came out alot better than what I thought we would going in.

If there was an organizer for all that, they get a hat tip for the testicular fortitude or titanium ovaries alone.

That's ALL right, despite the hand-wringing and pearl-clutching of the various detractors around here.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1038 on: January 06, 2023, 08:58:28 pm »
That's ALL right, despite the hand-wringing and pearl-clutching of the various detractors around here.

We still don't know all the details of this so called agreement.  Anyone here trust McCarthy?

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #1039 on: January 06, 2023, 09:00:14 pm »
We still don't know all the details of this so called agreement.  Anyone here trust McCarthy?

Oh, hell no.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1040 on: January 06, 2023, 09:00:30 pm »

If any thing has taught me this week, is that the "Uni-Party label"  is more than a motif.  It's a real and destructive force strangling  the long term functionality of this country.

That is profoundly true, and self-evident.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1041 on: January 06, 2023, 09:03:30 pm »

No, not until I can poke him with a stick to make sure he's dead...

BUT, I do trust Freedom Caucus a ways, and I assume there are ways and means to secure guarantees. So the win is coming.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1042 on: January 06, 2023, 09:03:41 pm »
The fact that the Democrats and their media support McCarthy for speaker tells you all you need to know.
If the Democrats want it, whatever it is, you know it cannot be a good thing for America.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online corbe

« Reply #1043 on: January 06, 2023, 09:07:25 pm »
    Boebert explains why we just witnessed this CF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i5YhBXEFMA
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 09:10:21 pm by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #1044 on: January 06, 2023, 09:08:38 pm »
Just wanted to read this excellent analysis again. Insightful and so true.

Let me second that...the Major is killing it today!
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #1045 on: January 06, 2023, 09:09:49 pm »
It's more than rumor .....   happy77

Not until it shows up in writing, it's not.  Trust but verify.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1046 on: January 06, 2023, 09:10:29 pm »
No more funding from that one particular PAC, yes.  But that won't stop any other PAC from doing the exact same thing

If it is that simple to bypass, then why won't McCarthy give it up?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #1047 on: January 06, 2023, 09:10:39 pm »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #1048 on: January 06, 2023, 09:11:01 pm »

I hope they realize that this is the first shot in a long battle. They are going to have to hold together and keep the feet to the fire.
The Republic is lost.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #1049 on: January 06, 2023, 09:12:21 pm »