Author Topic: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread  (Read 46459 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread
« Reply #1000 on: January 06, 2023, 08:02:32 pm »
Rumor has it that part of the agreement/concessions was that there would now be no more funding from the PAC to flip safe R seats.

It's more than rumor .....   happy77

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1001 on: January 06, 2023, 08:02:53 pm »
And I am all for that.  But this isn't what Gaetz has been saying.  The moment it became crystal clear Gaetz was fundraising off a personal vendetta he should have been backbenched and removed as the face and driver of the opposition.  Conservatives need to learn this lesson, too.

I don't like the deeper split this has created in the caucas.  It has created a level of fury that will be remembered and could surface at the most inopportune times.  The first time Gaetz calls for a vacate the chair vote (and he will, unless leashed), the caucas will rupture.

While the goals were solid and necessary, the process was extremely damaging.  All I can hope is the damage isn't permanent.

@LilLamb

No major disagreements on the merits of the post, but I have to ask the same that I asked the Major....

McCarthy has known through polling and trending, that the GOP would be in the majority since last summer

Why and how did it take till 0 Hour to address this and prevent this mess?  Seems like a major direlection of leadership, when we needed it most.  Wasn't or isn't this enough to legitimately question his ability to adequately lead this Congress in the first place, and this rebellion really valid?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

« Reply #1002 on: January 06, 2023, 08:04:15 pm »
🇺🇸 Mike Davis 🇺🇸
@mrddmia
·
27m
Kevin McCarthy has given away his shirt, pants, socks, and underwear.

He has gutted the Speaker's powers.

All to become Speaker.

Even if he can twist enough arms, it will be a Pyrrhic victory.

Lauren Boebert will have Kevin McCarthy's balls in her purse for the next 2 years.

Nice way to mend a fractured caucas.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1003 on: January 06, 2023, 08:04:33 pm »
I agree this was a shit show from Ballot No. 1.  But please explain why McCarthy didn't work out all of these details long ago.  He honestly has had since last summer to prepare.

Wouldn't that show the leadership, knowing the backlash, and hard feelings this might create within the party? 

I'm on board when the smoke clears.  But McC's screwed the pooch, and I have a suspicion that there is going to be residual congressional animosity among the 20 for the next two years.  McCarthy is at some point have to ask himself.....   Was it worth it, and why I didn't prepare earlier.

Simple... The RINOs ran over the Conservatives in conference, where their numbers did the trick. And then they just expected Conservatives to kowtow now...Much like my opposition here expected...

That ain't what happened.  happy77

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1004 on: January 06, 2023, 08:06:13 pm »
Nice way to mend a fractured caucas.

It don't need mended. It needs deeper fractures.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1005 on: January 06, 2023, 08:10:37 pm »
Simple... The RINOs ran over the Conservatives in conference, where their numbers did the trick. And then they just expected Conservatives to kowtow now...Much like my opposition here expected...

That ain't what happened.  happy77

He just needs two of these to cave-

Biggs
Boebert
Crane
Gaetz
Good
Rosendale

They are isolated now like the the last few at the Alamo.  I think he picks off 2 before the end of the day.

I am guessing Crane and Good.  Gaetz, Boebert, and Biggs (definitey not) Rosendale (Likely not)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 08:12:53 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1006 on: January 06, 2023, 08:13:31 pm »
He just needs two of these to cave-

Biggs
Boebert
Crane
Gaetz
Good
Rosendale

They are isolated now like the the last few at the Alamo.  I think he picks off 2 before the end of the day.

I said all along they probably didn't have the poop to depose him. *just* levering rule changes is a huge win, and if that's all they get done, I am more than satisfied.

« Reply #1007 on: January 06, 2023, 08:13:50 pm »
No major disagreements on the merits of the post, but I have to ask the same that I asked the Major....

McCarthy has known through polling and trending, that the GOP would be in the majority since last summer

I don't know.  But, a serious negotiation takes two sides.  On the opposition side it's Chip Roy.  It took him until Wednesday night to really show up

We could debate how many angels can dance on the head of a pin ad nauseam.  Or, we can settle this and refocus on working against the democrats.

The choice is ours.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1008 on: January 06, 2023, 08:17:31 pm »
McCarthy Votes (218 needed)

Ballot #- votes

1- 203
2- 203
3- 202
4- 201
5- 201
6- 201
7- 201
8- 201
9- 200
10- 200
11- 200
12- 213
13- 214

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #1009 on: January 06, 2023, 08:17:40 pm »
I agree this was a shit show from Ballot No. 1.  But please explain why McCarthy didn't work out all of these details long ago.  He honestly has had since last summer to prepare.

But we didn't even know who was going to be in Congress back then. We didn't know which party was going to control Congress, how much of a margin they would have, what would be the factions with them whichever margin was elected, etc.  Heck, Boebert was a pubic hair away from not getting elected at all.  So none of this realistically could start until after the election because you wouldn't know how to even begin counting the votes, or what concessions would be required to get to 218.

It sounds like the limits being imposed on the Speaker are more or less unprecedented, and I don't think those concessions were ever going to be made unless/until it got down to the wire.

I still think the FC shot conservatism in the foot with this, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 08:18:45 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1010 on: January 06, 2023, 08:19:00 pm »
I don't know.  But, a serious negotiation takes two sides.  On the opposition side it's Chip Roy.  It took him until Wednesday night to really show up

We could debate how many angels can dance on the head of a pin ad nauseam.  Or, we can settle this and refocus on working against the democrats.

The choice is ours.

That work has already started by the Holdouts reigning in old Kevs' flip entitled attitude and preventing another Omnibus disaster, rather than coronating him with a full cheer squad pep rally.
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1011 on: January 06, 2023, 08:20:51 pm »
But we didn't even know who was going to be in Congress back then. We didn't know which party was going to control Congress, how much of a margin they would have, what would be the factions with them whichever margin was elected, etc.  Heck, Boebert was a pubic hair away from not getting elected at all.  So none of this realistically could start until after the election because you wouldn't know how to even begin counting the votes, or what concessions would be required to get to 218.

Even since early summer, no one, even the dims gave themselves a chance to win the house.  Do you even look at or watch RCP?

Incorrect statment.

Offline corbe

« Reply #1012 on: January 06, 2023, 08:22:24 pm »
   Crane, Good is my pick to flip.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #1013 on: January 06, 2023, 08:27:35 pm »
Even since early summer, no one, even the dims gave themselves a chance to win the house.  Do you even look at or watch RCP?

Incorrect statment.

RCP turned out to be wrong.  They had Republicans at 227 seats with 34 still decided. We ended up at 222, which shouldn't have been possible.  And even that was a near thing.

The point is that without knowing exactly how many seats we have, and exactly who is in each of those seats, it is impossible to know what concessions would have to be made to get McCarthy to 218.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1014 on: January 06, 2023, 08:31:59 pm »
. . . you of all people, someone I continually look up to for solid conservatism . . .

You might want to re-evaluate your standards.  There is nothing at all 'Conservative' about supporting Paul Ryan's lackey.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1015 on: January 06, 2023, 08:32:24 pm »
   Crane, Good is my pick to flip.

Unless my math is wrong, if the GOP gets everybody back tonight for a vote as planned they will have to pick off 4 holdouts instead of 2.

To me that becomes a hell of lot more difficult .

The tandem of Biggs-Boebert-Gaetz could still sink this thing, if they don't play

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1016 on: January 06, 2023, 08:32:33 pm »
The point is that without knowing exactly how many seats we have, and exactly who is in each of those seats, it is impossible to know what concessions would have to be made to get McCarthy to 218.

There weren't supposed to be ANY concessions. It was to be a coronation.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1017 on: January 06, 2023, 08:33:06 pm »
There is a huge difference between just taking conservative actions, and achieving conservative results.

Handing the Speaker's chair over to Kevin McCarthy is NOT a Conservative result.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1018 on: January 06, 2023, 08:34:34 pm »
And 90% plus of the party aren't going to forget Gaetz, Boebert, and Biggs.  Money will pour into their districts to finance a primary challenger.

That's what the Establishment already does.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1019 on: January 06, 2023, 08:35:57 pm »
RCP turned out to be wrong.  They had Republicans at 227 seats with 34 still decided. We ended up at 222, which shouldn't have been possible.  And even that was a near thing.

LMAO....  No one, I mean absolutley no one expected the dims to reach 218.  McCarthy had plenty of time to prepare, and he didn't.

And as far as the GOP getting 218, 228, 238...  whatever.....   Can Kev, walk down the sidewalk and chew gum?  He had plenty of time  to work out all the scenrios he'd need to build the caucus?  Instead he made himself and the GOP to look like fools.

Offline DB

« Reply #1020 on: January 06, 2023, 08:36:14 pm »
That's what the Establishment already does.

That irony escapes him.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1021 on: January 06, 2023, 08:37:20 pm »
Handing the Speaker's chair over to Kevin McCarthy is NOT a Conservative result.

Yep, the next two years have basically been pissed away into a Kevin-Jeffries love fest.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1022 on: January 06, 2023, 08:39:09 pm »
There weren't supposed to be ANY concessions. It was to be a coronation.

Yep...'Ol Kev had a surprise when the Boehner-Ryan playbook didn't work out as planned. 

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1023 on: January 06, 2023, 08:42:33 pm »
You don't by chance believe in passing bills first so you can read them, do you?

↑    ↑    ↑    ↑
    T    H    I    S

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1024 on: January 06, 2023, 08:45:33 pm »
I'm not happy with conservatives going off half-cocked @LilLamb  They end up shooting themselves in the ass, every time, and gain nothing but a sore ass.  This is why I have asked from the very start:  "What's the plan?" .

These guys didn't have a plan either.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-