Author Topic: Kevin McCarthy’s fate on the line, House conservatives warn speaker’s election could take days  (Read 10511 times)

Offline Mesaclone

A correction is in order.  Here goes:

Kevin McCarthy sucks!

Are we back on point now?

Finally we take back the House, and a handful of buffoons ruin any chance to hold the Left accountable for all of the lies,cheating and dishonest of the past two years. As importantly, the rest of the nation now sees Conservatives as incompetent morons who can't even rally behind a Speaker. The people will forgive much, but incompetence at this level is long remembered...way to go idiots, you've tarnished conservatism and damaged the only party that has a chance to hold the Dems accountable.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Online roamer_1

Finally we take back the House, and a handful of buffoons ruin any chance to hold the Left accountable for all of the lies,cheating and dishonest of the past two years. As importantly, the rest of the nation now sees Conservatives as incompetent morons who can't even rally behind a Speaker. The people will forgive much, but incompetence at this level is long remembered...way to go idiots, you've tarnished conservatism and damaged the only party that has a chance to hold the Dems accountable.

With McCarthy as Speaker, they will not hold the Democrats accountable. They will not rein in spending, they will not move rightward. It will simply be more of the same.

BRAVO to those few willing to try to tear the RINO hand from the throat of America.

Online DB

LOL... Like all the times they did before... They give intense talk with furry actually doing nothing. Over and over. The IRS going after Obama opponents in an election and no one was fired. Now the federal agencies do whatever they like because the Republicans do nothing to stop them.

Offline Mesaclone

With McCarthy as Speaker, they will not hold the Democrats accountable. They will not rein in spending, they will not move rightward. It will simply be more of the same.

BRAVO to those few willing to try to tear the RINO hand from the throat of America.

And yet no one else has anywhere near enough support to be Speaker. McCarthy at least has the support of 203 fellow Republicans...if not him, then who should be the Speaker. Can't be Jordan, he's turned it down and is endorsing McCarthy. So how does this end, genius?  Let me guess...not your problem.

Offline BellyAche

This really is embarrassing. They should adjourn and figure things out behind closed doors instead of having this public spectacle!  :pop41: *****rollingeyes*****
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Hoodat

Ditto.  And shame on the members here for backing Democrat-lite.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

And yet no one else has anywhere near enough support to be Speaker. McCarthy at least has the support of 203 fellow Republicans...if not him, then who should be the Speaker. Can't be Jordan, he's turned it down and is endorsing McCarthy. So how does this end, genius?  Let me guess...not your problem.

Well let's see.  Jordan is steadily gaining ground while McCarthy is losing ground.  Maybe McCarthy is the one who should save us from this by withdrawing his name from consideration.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
This really is embarrassing. They should adjourn and figure things out behind closed doors instead of having this public spectacle!  :pop41: *****rollingeyes*****

McCarthy won't do that. He's trying to beat on the locked door like a toddler throwing a temper tantrum. He's a three time loser now and won't pass the torch to someone else.
The Republic is lost.

Offline BellyAche

And with each round he lost votes because of his egotistical stubbornness.  :chairbang: 

Of course CNN is having a field day!!!  :smokin:

They're adjourning until noon tomorrow....
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Kevin McCarthy’s fate on the line, House conservatives warn speaker’s election could take days

"Rep. Scott Perry, a conservative Republican from Pennsylvania, outlined the demands Mr. McCarthy has so far rejected, including commitments to consider term limits for members of Congress, a balanced budget measure and legislation to replace income taxes with a national sales tax.

“Kevin McCarthy had an opportunity to be speaker of the House,” Rep. Mr. Perry said Tuesday. “He rejected it.”
"

Okay, I'm not sure I've ever heard of Scott Perry before this, but now I know I absolutely despise him because performative crap isn't a valid reason to have chaos over the speakership.

The Supreme Court already has held that the Constitutional requirements to hold office are the only ones that can be imposed by states (U.S. v. Thorton), and that reasoning is just as applicable to Congress setting limits that go beyond the Constitution.  So voting on term limits is pointless.  There also is absolutely zero chance that you'd get Constitutional Amendments -- because that's what it would take -- on a balanced budget or national sales tax through the Senate, much less through 38 states.  So those other two demands are purely performative as well.

This isn't about actually changing anything.  It's basically just conservative virtue signaling, and Perry and his ilk know it.  They're just pandering to their base because they lack the courage to say "Sorry guys, I agree with you on these issues but they can't go anywhere and here is why"  I can't stand that kind of condescending crap regardless of whether it comes from the left or right.

@Maj. Bill Martin

Gaetz had a presser, and simply stated that all McCarthy had to do, to get their endorsement for speaker was:

1. Agree to term limits vote on the House Floor
2. Bring up Balanced Budget provisons up from committe for review, and conferencing.
3. Bring up Border Protection Plan developed by the Texas Delegate for floor vote.

Please let me know exactly which of those 3 that you find unacceptable or unreasonable.....

Under the same condtions and terms, I wouldn't vote for this dim capitulating RINO either
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
McCarthy won't do that. He's trying to beat on the locked door like a toddler throwing a temper tantrum. He's a three time loser now and won't pass the torch to someone else.

McCarthy went scorched earth today and was quoted saying he'll press on as long as there are 4 people (inferred majority) standing with him, no matter what.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
You didn't answer the question again.  What good does it do to ask for a term limits bill when the Supreme Court already has held that they are unconstitutional? 

Last I looked Congress formulates, and passes laws, even when they are of new precedence, or precedent changing.  SCOTUS just interprets.

The Supreme Court once ruled slavery was not only legal, but debated its expansion.  With your rationale it'd still be legal.

Online DB

McCarthy went scorched earth today and was quoted saying he'll press on as long as there are 4 people (inferred majority) standing with him, no matter what.

It's his turn damn it.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
K Street in Washington is filled with people who spend all of their time working to "refine" the definition of "INCOME"!

Yep, their next step is redefine capital gains as income.

Government wealth confiscation is well underway, and with our feckless GOP, I doubt they'll put up much of a fight.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Kevin McCarthy’s fate on the line, House conservatives warn speaker’s election could take days..."

I'm disgusted with the "republican" party.
Let the Speaker votes go on for a couple of WEEKS, with nobody winning.

Really, folks...
Who cares any more?

The more that is done to keep Congress "incapacitated", the better off ordinary Americans are.

Offline Hoodat

You didn't answer the question again.  What good does it do to ask for a term limits bill when the Supreme Court already has held that they are unconstitutional?

The first step to implementing term limits requires a two-thirds vote of both houses.  Then it goes to the States.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Hope Kevie has a better plan than his 1855 predecessor.....

https://www.politico.com/story/2012/12/this-day-in-politics-dec-3-1855-084492

2 months and 133 ballots....     :thud:

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Ditto.  And shame on the members here for backing Democrat-lite.

lol...they might question you level of "comprehension".  :silly:

Online roamer_1

I doubt it would be Jordan. Though his endorsements mean nothing. He could still step up. But it won't be him. It won't be anyone from the right wing.

I thought this was a plan for concessions, but it looks now like outright rebellion. which makes me a  happy camper.
Probably Scalise, with major favors owed.

Online roamer_1

The public spectacle is the point. That's why they are doing it now.

Online roamer_1

I would laugh and laugh if he got to pack up his sh*t and move out of that office he was so confident was his.  :silly:

Today has been a great ride.  :beer:

Offline Mesaclone

The public spectacle is the point. That's why they are doing it now.

So a spectacle that does nothing but ensure increasing Left wing power in all branches of government…for a generation…that’s the plan? A “spectacle” that sets back conservatism and ensures liberal predominance for decades. What a bunch of utter morons if that’s the goal.

I agree that all of the clowns involved in this “liberal helping fiasco” be banned from committee assignments entirely.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 11:24:26 am by Mesaclone »

Offline Mesaclone

I would laugh and laugh if he got to pack up his sh*t and move out of that office he was so confident was his.  :silly:

Today has been a great ride.  :beer:

This is the liberals wet dream. I guess y’all can celebrate together.

Offline EdinVA

I doubt it would be Jordan. Though his endorsements mean nothing. He could still step up. But it won't be him. It won't be anyone from the right wing.

I thought this was a plan for concessions, but it looks now like outright rebellion. which makes me a  happy camper.
Probably Scalise, with major favors owed.

The speaker does not have to be a member of the house...  :pondering:

Online roamer_1

So a spectacle that does nothing but ensure increasing Left wing power in all branches of government…for a generation…that’s the plan? A “spectacle” that sets back conservatism and ensures liberal predominance for decades. What a bunch of utter morons if that’s the goal.

I agree that all of the clowns involved in this “liberal helping fiasco” be banned from committee assignments entirely.

Well that's pretty hysterical. And I see that quite the other way around - This is probably the most conservative thing I have seen in years.

By the way, which liberals are you speaking of? The democrat ones or the Republican ones? Because less the facade of partisanship, this congress just gave the liberals everything they wished for in the next year -  And these are the same people expecting to ascend to leadership.... How is that advancing conservatism?