Author Topic: Kevin McCarthy’s fate on the line, House conservatives warn speaker’s election could take days  (Read 10204 times)

Offline Hoodat

If you had ever taken the time to actually read the proposed legislation (HR25 in the last congress) you would know that is directly addressed in the legislation @Hoodat

OK, so help me understand.  Bill Gates buys a new yacht - not from a US yacht maker, but from one in Italy.  And he registers the yacht in the Bahamas, or Isle of Man, or some place like that.  Let's say he forks over around $400 million for it, and then pays $1 million per year to keep it staffed.  How does the US government get its money?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

There is no way in hell I am signing on to a national sales tax while our government still has the authority to tax our incomes.

That's right - That's a sticky bit. Even if it starts out right, the thought that they could add income tax back in later is an uncomfortable reality.

And then there will be the creation of a new cottage industry for the super-wealthy that will specialize in the avoidance of hefty sales tax bills.  Yacht purchases and registrations will no longer occur in the US.  The same for private planes, etc.  Gulf Stream will have to move offshore in order to remain in business.

I don't know that's true. The wealthy will no longer be being taxed otherwise, so I don't know how that will shake out... Schedule C would be another concern... a worthy point.

Offline Hoodat

:beer: happy77

That's right. I have always been a flat tax fan - Hands down! The only reservation I would have is in taxing groceries and medical/medicines... and maybe housing. Retail goods, no problem. But the ability to live... Taxing that is a bother. I know that sounds more like a luxury tax, but that is not what I mean to do...  :shrug:

I still prefer a flat tax on income.  If it is good enough for G-d, it's good enough for me.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The stakes are much much lower for those 45 states.  And it is State agents policing those things, not Federal agents.  We will end up with more tax agents than we have now.  Every current IRS agent will find a new job at BATF.  And that still won't be enough.

There would be no federal agents policing the federal sales tax I'm in favor of either @Hoodat Read the bill!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I still prefer a flat tax on income.  If it is good enough for G-d, it's good enough for me.

When you can provide me with a definitive, immutable, not subject to change at every whim of congress, definition of the word "Income" we'll talk. 

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

There is some value in that - That everybody must crack a vein personally - That responsibility is more personal... skin in the game.

But it also is secondary to the economy. Uncle gets his vig no matter how you are doing... I like the idea that uncle gets his vig from the economic market directly and only - Because that makes it in Uncle's interest to keep the economy sailing, and it would make it damn hard for them to want to over tax and slow the economy down.

The balance becomes inevitable and self-sustaining.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

Read, watch, and learn!

https://fairtax.org/about/how-fairtax-works

Will do.  In the meantime, how does the yacht scenario fit into the picture?  Or the guy smuggling Canadian whiskey into the US?  Or Turkish cigarettes?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

Will do.  In the meantime, how does the yacht scenario fit into the picture?  Or the guy smuggling Canadian whiskey into the US?  Or Turkish cigarettes?

D00d. smugglers don't pay tax. That's all part of the cash economy. That's the point of smuggling... To avoid the tax.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Read the three papers at the link below.

https://fairtax.org/research-library/evasion

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

OK, reading the details.  First of all, 23% is way too high.  Second of all, the prebate is bullshit.  We would effectively be subsidizing anyone who doesn't spend money.  That is a deal-breaker for me.

With a flat income tax, a person making $10k per year is vested because that person would owe tax on that income.  Under the sales tax proposal, a person spending $10k would be getting free money from the government.  A great big 'hell no' to that.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
D00d. smugglers don't pay tax. That's all part of the cash economy. That's the point of smuggling... To avoid the tax.

The guy down on the corner selling drugs to your kids doesn't go find an IRS agent at the end of the year either! But he does eat, drive fancy cars, wear spiffy duds...

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

The guy down on the corner selling drugs to your kids doesn't go find an IRS agent at the end of the year either! But he does eat, drive fancy cars, wear spiffy duds...

That's right.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
OK, reading the details.  First of all, 23% is way too high.  Second of all, the prebate is bullshit.  We would effectively be subsidizing anyone who doesn't spend money.  That is a deal-breaker for me.

With a flat income tax, a person making $10k per year is vested because that person would owe tax on that income.  Under the sales tax proposal, a person spending $10k would be getting free money from the government.  A great big 'hell no' to that.

Many papers available on the subject. I'm not going to reproduce them here.

https://fairtax.org/research-library/taxes-and-tax-reform

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
K Street in Washington is filled with people who spend all of their time working to "refine" the definition of "INCOME"!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

Read the three papers at the link below.

https://fairtax.org/research-library/evasion

Looking through the first one.  It repeats the claim that tax evasion will be lower, but it does nothing to explain how.

The gist of it is that a national sales tax will have ZERO effect on a yacht bought in Italy and registered in the Bahamas.  Meanwhile, a crew with a $1 million income would no longer be subject to income taxes for their labor.

As for the Canadian lumber smuggler, the only way you are going to catch him is by using BATF agents that will follow him in each State he visits.  No different from DEA agents tracking drug smugglers in every US State.

This is not the panacea that this site makes it out to be.  And 23% is way too high, considering that with the new subsidies, you still won't collect more than 19% of GDP.  I prefer a 17% flat income tax, and then force government to live within that.  No more free tax credit handouts from the IRS.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

The income used to purchase those drugs has already been taxed.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online DB

Any income tax is ripe for fraud and will be morphed into what it is now over time no matter how flat it starts out as.

A sales tax is the only way to limit the damage congress can do and reduce the huge burden of tax management on people and business.

Offline Hoodat

Any income tax is ripe for fraud and will be morphed into what it is now over time no matter how flat it starts out as.

An employer has a built-in incentive for reporting income (i.e. it lowers tax liability).  There is no such incentive for anyone selling goods.

A sales tax is the only way to limit the damage congress can do and reduce the huge burden of tax management on people and business.

Sure, until they begin reducing the size of the incentive carrot they use to entice sellers to do something that benefits them negatively.   Or until they start increasing the subsidies paid out to "the poor".  Before long, 'the poor' will be getting their subsidy checks directly deposited into their bank accounts as they pay cash for 'goods' from their local street dealers.  No thanks.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

An employer has a built-in incentive for reporting income (i.e. it lowers tax liability).  There is no such incentive for anyone selling goods.

The burdens of employment and the cost of employees caused me to quit trying on a large scale and is why I went back to sole prop.

All those burdens would be removed. You might get me to hire a dozen people again.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

:yowsa: pointing-up

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Polly Ticks

Maybe we should change the name of this thread to Flat Tax debate?
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Point well taken @Polly Ticks

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

Sales tax is equally ripe for fraud.  Even a VAT, which has a lot more robustness than a retail sales tax when it comes to providing the means to catch fraud, is still subject to substantial fraud.

And sales tax audits make income tax audits look like the epitome of accuracy and correctness.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 07:43:32 pm by Kamaji »

Offline Hoodat

A correction is in order.  Here goes:

Kevin McCarthy sucks!

Are we back on point now?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-