Author Topic: Kevin McCarthy’s fate on the line, House conservatives warn speaker’s election could take days  (Read 10568 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Oh the hell he ain't...

LOL! McCarthy won't go to the mat either.
And no, the liberal wing - while it has always been the money, is relatively unpopulated. It is the globalist moderate wing that is the problem, and has been all along - A group to which McCarthy is enjoined.

You've already said that you want things to get worse, and that you want to see the GOP destroyed.  So I figure that pretty much the opposite of whatever you say is probably the wisest course.

Online Hoodat

You've already said that you want things to get worse, and that you want to see the GOP destroyed.  So I figure that pretty much the opposite of whatever you say is probably the wisest course.

If the GOP chooses to be Democrat-lite (which is what McCarthy advocates), then hell yes, it needs to be destroyed.  But if the GOP chooses to be a Conservative party (which McCarthy opposes), then by all means save it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

ZERO advancement on any front in real terms - *NO WINS*  in my whole political life.
At some point, you become aware they ain't even trying.
And they ain't.

In fact, they are more aligned with the other side.

I ain't of a mind to destroy the GOP - if it were to have any value (which it don't, and historically hasn't). But neither will I preserve it just so it can continue to betray, and continue to supply NO opposition to liberalism.

What I am interested in is adherence to Conservatism, and opposition to liberalism - Neither of which can be found in the GOP.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
This is a serious post.

I kinda like things as they are right now.

The House paralyzed. No action being taken.

The Senate can accomplish nothing without the House. Good, let them sit idle.

No laws being passed.
The fewer, the better.

I repeat:
I like things as they are RIGHT NOW.

Online Hoodat

Four days in, and Congress hasn't appropriated a dime in new spending.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline EdinVA

This is a serious post.

No laws being passed.
The fewer, the better.

I repeat:
:thumbsup:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

This is a serious post.

No laws being passed.
The fewer, the better.

I repeat:

But you know it's not going to stay that way, right?

I think people are forgetting that the appropriations bills for this year have already been passed. What this Congress is supposed to work on this year are the appropriations for next fiscal year, which starts on October 1.   So this delay in getting started doesn't stop any money from being spent right now.  They're still spending away.

What do you think is going to happen politically if it comes to October 1, and the Republican Congress hasn't yet passed any of the 12 appropriations bills for that fiscal year?

Online Hoodat

What do you think is going to happen politically if it comes to October 1, and the Republican Congress hasn't yet passed any of the 12 appropriations bills for that fiscal year?

Then America will know that McCarthy's promises were complete bullshit.  The Republican brand will be further tarnished.  And the Democrats will revel in how much pork they are able to push into the next omnibus bill.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Then America will know that McCarthy's promises were complete bullshit.  The Republican brand will be further tarnished.  And the Democrats will revel in how much pork they are able to push into the next omnibus bill.

Hey, we finally agree!

Online Hoodat

Hey, we finally agree!

If we agree, then it comes down to a matter of probability.  What is the likelihood that McCarthy will do this?

Without the guarantees that Conservatives have been pushing for here, I put the likelihood of McCarthy not getting separate appropriations bills passed before the deadline at 100%.  Which is why I believe it is important to push for those guarantees.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

If we agree, then it comes down to a matter of probability.  What is the likelihood that McCarthy will do this?

I don't think McCarthy wants that to happen at all.  I think he'd be thrilled to pass all 12 appropriations bills on time.   Huge feather in his cap if that happens.  I was just addressing the earlier post saying that having the House do "nothing" is so great.

The only ones who will benefit from the GOP-led House failing to do its job will be the Democrats, because they'll swoop in and make a few deals with a dozen or so of the most liberal Republicans.

Without the guarantees that Conservatives have been pushing for here, I put the likelihood of McCarthy not getting separate appropriations bills passed before the deadline at 100%.  Which is why I believe it is important to push for those guarantees.

I don't think there's a chance in hell McCarthy can get all those bills passed by October 1 no matter how hard he tries.  Just for starters, that has only been done 4 times in the last forty years, and not once in the last quarter of a century.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 02:44:35 am by Maj. Bill Martin »