Author Topic: Why Trump Is Right to Withdraw Troops  (Read 5753 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Why Trump Is Right to Withdraw Troops
« on: December 21, 2018, 12:11:57 am »
National Interest, Dec 20, 2018, Doug Bandow

[...]

The cacophonous criticism of the president’s decision within the Beltway may be the best evidence of his wisdom. Syria is not America’s war. Washington’s security interests always were minimal. The humanitarian tragedy in the country has been overwhelming, but it is beyond America’s ability to fix it.

Most directly, the president’s critics complain that the Islamic State is not yet eradicated from the earth. Wrote the New Yorker’s Robin Wright, “long-term stability is still far from guaranteed against a force that remains a powerful idea—both in war-ravaged Syria and throughout the volatile region—even as its military wing is decimated.” However, the United States can’t fix the underlying causes of radicalism. Moreover, the Islamic State’s long list of enemies—Iraq, Syria, Turkey, Jordan, Gulf States, Iran, Russia—should be able to handle the aftermath. America should not do everything for everyone forever.

Washington’s “usual suspects” came with a gaggle of bizarrely ambitious alternative objectives to justify America’s continued military presence. Why remain in a multisided civil war filled with bad participants and choices? Why stay to protect the Kurds, satisfy the Turks, limit the Iranians, cow the Syrians, moderate the Russians, and perhaps cure the common cold?  [...]

Russia’s involvement in Syria doesn’t matter. Washington is allied with Turkey, Egypt, Jordan, Israel, and the Gulf States. The United States shares influence in Iraq and Lebanon. Moscow has a close relationship with Syria, a long-time ally now a wreck of its former self. Russia has some clout with Iran, an overstretched, uneasy partner at best. Who is winning the Russo-American contest? Americans can sleep at night.

More: https://nationalinterest.org/blog/skeptics/why-trump-right-withdraw-troops-39352

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Why Trump Is Right to Withdraw Troops
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 12:16:28 am »
Whoever wrothe this article is taking some MAJOR drugs and should seek help immediately!  Before it's too late!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 12:16:42 am »
FTA

The Washington Post  complained of “the stab in the back,” but the United States never promised Syria’s Kurds military protection, which would have to run forever.

Indeed, Washington already made that strategic choice when it did not protect Kurdistan from retaliation by Iraq, Iran, and Turkey after the latter held an independence referendum. Washington also made little to no effort to block decades of brutal military operations against the Kurds in Turkey or protect them in the assault on Afrin and surrounding territory in Syria earlier this year.

The Pentagon cannot justify a permanent garrison illegally occupying Syria amid a civil war to protect an unofficial militia from attack by both the legally legitimate government and a neighboring NATO ally.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 12:19:12 am »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 12:21:04 am »
I seem to recall something about Assad using chemical weapons on his own people.  Funny, the op-ed makes no mention of that fact.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 12:22:58 am »
Maybe the Russians really did buy Trump. 

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 12:23:07 am »

Sorry...

Keane and Mattis are 100% right and Trump is 1005 wrong on this one!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 12:24:32 am »
Gen Keane speaks the truth...people need to listen..
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 12:39:37 am »

https://youtu.be/eZxopmVM7a8

Rubio, Keane and Mattis are all totally correct.

Trump's decision is horrible, as Rubio alludes to, there is some tension on this with NATO member Turkey and it is complex. They sent troops to fight after 911 in Afghanistan, they sent troops to fight in the Korean war, it's not exactly that they are totally wrong in a blanket-statement way.

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 12:43:26 am »

Trump's decision is horrible, as Rubio alludes to, there is some tension on this with NATO member Turkey and it is complex. They sent troops to fight after 911 in Afghanistan, they sent troops to fight in the Korean war, it's not exactly that they are totally wrong in a blanket-statement way.

I'm not seeing it @TomSea ... please, tell me why it's horrible.  Thx.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 12:48:39 am »
Here is what is wrong with the whole thing:

1. ISIS isn't gone. They are still around.
2. He should have told his generals and his officials in what he was doing. NOT TWEET IT.
3. He stabbed our Kurdiish allies in the back.
4. It would allow Russia to have influence in the region again.

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline TomSea

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 12:50:45 am »
I'm not seeing it @TomSea ... please, tell me why it's horrible.  Thx.

We are abandoning allies, the Kurds who did, with our help, route one of the greatest evils since World War II,  ISIS, They did the dirty work, we provided air support, they spilt blood. That is it in a nutshell, again the videos provide more info.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 12:53:22 am »
Some believe that the judgement of military types is superior,
implying that there are no political considerations in their
decisions; an utter absurdity as politics has been a component
of military decisions since Alexander. 
Precisely what is our specific national interest in Syria and Afghanistan?
Kindly ration the piety and sanctimony!!!

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 12:54:35 am »
I remember the hullabaloo when Mattis was nominated for Sec. of Defense.  If I remember correctly it was because this has always been a civilian position.    He received some sort of dispensation to be confirmed for the post. 

I see the logic in this, now (although at the time I was very pro-Mattis).  The business of every General, retired or active, is war.  It's in their blood.  A General's role should be to give an opinion at the request of the President, not fill a civilian cabinet post and attempt to set policy.

There were also a lot of complaints that the President was filling his inner circle with too many retired Generals.  Again, at the time I dismissed this.  But today I see this point, too.   

War is their business.  And they think they're always right.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 12:54:45 am »

Don't worry, in 6 months (just before the impeachment) Rubio will declare Trump was right all along.

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2018, 12:55:12 am »
We are abandoning allies, the Kurds who did, with our help, route one of the greatest evils since World War II,  ISIS, They did the dirty work, we provided air support, they spilt blood. That is it in a nutshell, again the videos provide more info.

What are we doing for the Kurds now that we've not done in the past?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2018, 12:56:34 am »
Gen Keane on fox now
Support the USO

Offline TomSea

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2018, 12:56:47 am »
Obama withdrew troops from Iraq, that is when things went to hell largely in Iraq, it was a rather pacified country. It was said early on, we are close to repeating the same mistake.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2018, 12:58:50 am »
Here is what is wrong with the whole thing:

1. ISIS isn't gone. They are still around.
2. He should have told his generals and his officials in what he was doing. NOT TWEET IT.
3. He stabbed our Kurdiish allies in the back.
4. It would allow Russia to have influence in the region again.

Right on. Let's eff up another place with no value to the world so that we can have another disaster like Iraq on our hands. Regime change is awesome. It was real swell when we were forced to cut a deal with the Taliban to try and inject some stability there. What a grand idea. In 20 years after more billions are flushed down the toilet and all the Christians are exterminated we can cut a deal with effing Isis. Whatever it takes to support these nomadic shit farmers the Kurds, right?

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2018, 01:33:55 am »
Obama withdrew troops from Iraq, that is when things went to hell largely in Iraq, it was a rather pacified country. It was said early on, we are close to repeating the same mistake.

Are we trying to nation build in Syria, too?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2018, 01:39:20 am »

Tom, I agree, and I'm shocked that you have to explain it.

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2018, 01:43:35 am »
Tom, I agree, and I'm shocked that you have to explain it.

Why?  Why can't someone tell me what the U.S. has actually done to help the Kurds?  It's not like they're safe with us there .... we're not going to war with a NATO ally for the Kurds.  So, what's our role?

Offline Major Confusion

• If you don't like my opinion, Byte Me.
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2018, 01:48:27 am »
Never thought we'd be the cheese eating surrender monkeys.

Everything's different now.
If you don't like my opinion, Byte Me.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2018, 01:52:21 am »

Because our resident sycophant queen thinks the sun rises and sets on Trump’s ass.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2018, 02:01:50 am »

Because our resident sycophant queen thinks the sun rises and sets on Trump’s ass.

What?  Are we supposed to look forward to the 18th anniversary in Syria like we are in Afghanistan?  Is that how you want to spend our blood and treasure?