Author Topic: Exclusive: Trump invokes War of 1812 in testy call with Trudeau over tariffs  (Read 8787 times)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Now that’s just insulting .... to sh*t.

And he is STILL your President
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Oceander

And he is STILL your President

Unfortunately.  And to all appearances, <<Unflattering description redacted>> don’t seem to have learned anything yet.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 11:18:41 pm by Mod5 »

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Unfortunately.  And to all appearances, <<Unflattering description redacted>> don’t seem to have learned anything yet.

Show some respect Or I will hold you in contempt of TBR!

*look*
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 11:19:05 pm by Mod5 »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline driftdiver

@Oceander

Right now it's only the idiot's and faces for brains who wont admit hes doing good. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 11:19:41 pm by Mod5 »

Oceander

@Oceander

Right now it's only the idiot's and faces for brains who wont admit hes doing good. 

He ain’t doing much good right now.  Most of the good he’s done - like nominating judges - has come about because he’s kept his pudgy little fingers out of the mix and let people who know what they’re doing run the show.  Whenever he gets personally involved, good results are exceedingly hard to find.

Offline driftdiver

He ain’t doing much good right now.  Most of the good he’s done - like nominating judges - has come about because he’s kept his pudgy little fingers out of the mix and let people who know what they’re doing run the show.  Whenever he gets personally involved, good results are exceedingly hard to find.

Uh yeah. 

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
Yep, "Never-Trumpers" are so "2016 one-hit wonders" as far as commenting goes...boooooring! Election over...move on...and let's talk policy.

Offline Frank Cannon

Yep, "Never-Trumpers" are so "2016 one-hit wonders" as far as commenting goes...boooooring! Election over...move on...and let's talk policy.

LOL. You got that shit pretty summed up.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Now that’s just insulting .... to sh*t.

I'm sorry.  I misspoke when I said dumb, I meant deranged.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
 :shrug:

Is it possible Trump was joking?

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

:shrug:

Is it possible Trump was joking?
@Weird Tolkienish Figure
You mean like "Lock her up,""Build the Wall," and "I'm really smart?"  I suppose it's possible.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

As I've always stated ... you can either join the attempt to restore our Republic or you can be party to those who are trying to take her down

That's what honestly confuses me.  If it was the 2020 primary season, I could understand completely why some Republicans/conservatives would be actively tearing the guy down, because there would be a prospect of replacing him with someone they'd prefer.  But there isn't.  He's not resigning, and there isn't a realistic shot at impeachment and conviction, so trashing Trump doesn't even get you Pence.  So realistically, tearing him down is only going to make Democrats stronger.

It's not that I expect conservatives who don't like him to support him - just not actively collaborate with the leftists who have made it their mission to try to destroy his Administration since day one.

The only reason I can surmise as to why some GOP (or conservative) politicos/pundits are doing that is either 1) they are so opposed to his stance on immigration that it outweighs everything else, and/or 2) they believe that proper decorum/compliance with the rules of Bushwood Country Club is more important than any substantive policy.  Otherwise...it just makes no sense to me.

And btw, I think there is an enormous distinction (too often overlooked here) between individual posters/citizens criticizing the guy in forums like this, and public figures like politicians and pundits doing so.  The former really doesn't weaken or strengthen him at all -- expressing opinions here really doesn't impact the real world.  But the latter really can hurt his Administration, and thereby strengthen the radical left.

Offline aligncare

That's what honestly confuses me.  If it was the 2020 primary season, I could understand completely why some Republicans/conservatives would be actively tearing the guy down, because there would be a prospect of replacing him with someone they'd prefer.  But there isn't.  He's not resigning, and there isn't a realistic shot at impeachment and conviction, so trashing Trump doesn't even get you Pence. So realistically, tearing him down is only going to make Democrats stronger.

It's not that I expect conservatives who don't like him to support him - just not actively collaborate with the leftists who have made it their mission to try to destroy his Administration since day one.

The only reason I can surmise as to why some GOP (or conservative) politicos/pundits are doing that is either 1) they are so opposed to his stance on immigration that it outweighs everything else, and/or 2) they believe that proper decorum/compliance with the rules of Bushwood Country Club is more important than any substantive policy.  Otherwise...it just makes no sense to me.

And btw, I think there is an enormous distinction (too often overlooked here) between individual posters/citizens criticizing the guy in forums like this, and public figures like politicians and pundits doing so.  The former really doesn't weaken or strengthen him at all -- expressing opinions here really doesn't impact the real world.  But the latter really can hurt his Administration, and thereby strengthen the radical left.

A point I’ve often iterated, usually preceding it with “what’s the point [of criticizing every little thing Trump]?” Which always seemed to spur critics here to double down then justify it with a virtue signal.  :shrug:

Stabbing the commander in the back leading the charge against your enemies seems like piss-poor strategy to me.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

A point I’ve often iterated, usually preceding it with “what’s the point [of criticizing every little thing Trump]?” Which always seemed to spur critics here to double down then justify it with a virtue signal.  :shrug:

Stabbing the commander in the back leading the charge against your enemies seems like piss-poor strategy to me.

But again, I do think there is a huge difference between someone expressing frustration/opposition to Trump here, and politicians/pundits doing it publicly.  Here, it's basically just venting.  But publicly, it can actually affect things.

Offline aligncare

But again, I do think there is a huge difference between someone expressing frustration/opposition to Trump here, and politicians/pundits doing it publicly.  Here, it's basically just venting.  But publicly, it can actually affect things.

It’s taken me a while but I’ve come to accept that’s the nature of the environment here, and not to take it personally, though I will never accept being called derogatory names or characterizations personally aimed at me.

Offline skeeter

Great post @libertybele   but you are talking to people who have abandoned reason for hate and keep making self-indulgent cutesy posts designed to annoy the rest of us.

I guess it never occurred to any of these geniuses Trump may have said this with tongue in cheek. Or maybe it did.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
It’s taken me a while but I’ve come to accept that’s the nature of the environment here, and not to take it personally, though I will never accept being called derogatory names or characterizations personally aimed at me.

And, you shouldn't have to.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Too much personalizing happens on both sides, blended with a belief that the opinions expressed here actually "matter".

Offline aligncare

I guess it never occurred to any of these geniuses Trump may have said this with tongue in cheek. Or maybe it did.

Trash talk (for lack of a better term) is an ingrained feature of Trump’s speech pattern. If one can’t abide it then they’ll forever find fault with Trump.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 01:57:02 pm by aligncare »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Trash talk (for lack of a better term) is an ingrained feature of Trump’s speech pattern. If one can’t abide it then they’ll forever find fault with Trump.

If someone wants to talk politics with me relating to Trump, the first thing I establish is that I have zero interest in discussion his tweets, or stupid shit he says.  That stuff is so much less important and interesting to me than policy discussions that I can't be bothered.

Offline skeeter

If someone wants to talk politics with me relating to Trump, the first thing I establish is that I have zero interest in discussion his tweets, or stupid shit he says.  That stuff is so much less important and interesting to me than policy discussions that I can't be bothered.

Increasingly, that all his critics have. At least the ones who aren't progressive.

Offline bilo

??? Idiot ??? He's attempting to re-negotiate NAFTA, trying to get the darn wall built, attempting to put China in their place and has brought recognition to Jerusalem as Israel's capital.

If you think that demonstrates idiocy, your definition of idiocy is much different than mine.  This President is standing between a full blown take over from the leftists/marxists and Islamic terrorists and us. 

As I've always stated ... you can either join the attempt to restore our Republic or you can be party to those who are trying to take her down.  The choice is yours.

I've been surprised at how Pres. Trump has actually tried to implement the promises he made on the campaign trail. He does deserve credit. It's the cowards in the Pub party, the Rats, the media and the leftist news that are the idiots for not seeing the existential threat tro the Republic.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Night Hides Not

An equally poor strategy, or leadership style, is when the commander keeps throwing his subordinates under the bus, as evidenced by the inordinate turnover of cabinet officials.

Trump has voiced that he thrives on chaos. That's not a leadership style IMO. I had a Battalion Commander back in Germany who turned a C-3 battalion into a C-1 (Combat Ready) in 18 months. I got chewed out plenty of times, as I provided many opportunities as a primary staff officer while a 1st LT. However, I knew that once I walked out of his office, the criticism was over and forgotten. I never doubted he had my back.

We had plenty of chaos to deal with in 79-80: manpower shortages, in part due to drumming out poor soldiers...it was about 60 in about a year, we killed a lot of trees thanks to the paperwork. Equipment and budgetary shortages existed until mid-1980, as Carter was scrambling to hold onto his job. We didn't see it as "chaos", but as daily challenges to overcome.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline bilo

That's what honestly confuses me.  If it was the 2020 primary season, I could understand completely why some Republicans/conservatives would be actively tearing the guy down, because there would be a prospect of replacing him with someone they'd prefer.  But there isn't.  He's not resigning, and there isn't a realistic shot at impeachment and conviction, so trashing Trump doesn't even get you Pence.  So realistically, tearing him down is only going to make Democrats stronger.

Good post, but I think there is another reason the GOP politicos/pundits are so willing to undercut Pres. Trump at every turn. They are as much a part of the "faculty lounge" set as the Rats and casn't stand to see an outsider who just doesn't understand the complexities of govt/ policy succeed.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline aligncare

An equally poor strategy, or leadership style, is when the commander keeps throwing his subordinates under the bus, as evidenced by the inordinate turnover of cabinet officials.

Why is fitting the right person to a job, holding them accountable for their performance, firing them if screw up or cannot perform up to expectations a poor strategy?