Author Topic: Exclusive: Trump invokes War of 1812 in testy call with Trudeau over tariffs  (Read 8788 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
(CNN)President Donald Trump and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had a testy phone call on May 25 over new tariffs imposed by the Trump administration targeting steel and aluminum imports coming from Canada, including one moment during the conversation in which Trump made an erroneous historical reference, sources familiar with the discussion told CNN.

According to the sources, Trudeau pressed Trump on how he could justify the tariffs as a "national security" issue. In response, Trump quipped to Trudeau, "Didn't you guys burn down the White House?" referring to the War of 1812.

The problem with Trump's comments to Trudeau is that British troops burned down the White House during the War of 1812. Historians note the British attack on Washington was in retaliation for the American attack on York, Ontario, in territory that eventually became Canada, which was then a British colony.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/06/politics/war-of-1812-donald-trump-justin-trudeau-tariff/index.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Trudeau is an idiot
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Canadian scum always letting someone else do their fighting for them. :smokin:
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I can't picture Trudeau being testy. 

Offline WingNot

I can't picture Trudeau being testy.

Maybe having a conniption fit or in a tizzy....

Offline libertybele

Maybe having a conniption fit or in a tizzy....

Yeppers and by now he probably has his knickers in a twist!    :rolling:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Oceander

Trump is the idiot.

Offline edpc

Wait until he snaps a Merkel for bombing Pearl Harbor.

Oceander

And the Japanese for torpedoing the Lusitania. 

Offline libertybele

Trump is the idiot.

??? Idiot ??? He's attempting to re-negotiate NAFTA, trying to get the darn wall built, attempting to put China in their place and has brought recognition to Jerusalem as Israel's capital.

If you think that demonstrates idiocy, your definition of idiocy is much different than mine.  This President is standing between a full blown take over from the leftists/marxists and Islamic terrorists and us. 

As I've always stated ... you can either join the attempt to restore our Republic or you can be party to those who are trying to take her down.  The choice is yours.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline WingNot

That's my material.   Back off! :smokin:

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump accuses Canada of burning down the White House in the War of 1812
by Katelyn Caralle
 | June 06, 2018 02:18 PM

President Trump made an inaccurate historical reference to the War of 1812 during a phone call with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau last month when they were discussing tariffs imposed on Canada by the Trump administration.

Trudeau asked Trump how he could justify tariffs as a national security issues, and in response Trump said, “Didn’t you guys burn down the White House?” referring to the War of 1812, sources familiar with the conversation told CNN.

British troops burned down the White House during the War of 1812 as a retaliation for the American attack on York, Ontario, which at the time was a British colony but eventually became a Canadian territory.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/foreign/trump-accuses-canada-of-burning-down-the-white-house-in-the-war-of-1812

:facepalm:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

That's my material.   Back off! :smokin:

I had your rousing speech in mind as I was typing.

Offline Suppressed

Trudeau is an idiot
@driftdiver

Trump makes a factual error, and you call Trudeau an idiot?     

But yes, Trudeau is an idiot.  Amazing we have just as bad here.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 08:33:48 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Is that really smart? Canada considers the War of 1812 one of their biggest victories, their Revolution.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline edpc

Trump is still miffed that Trudeau was unimpressed with his tie.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
Trump is the idiot.

I have to agree with you here @Oceander.
James 1:20

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
??? Idiot ??? He's attempting to re-negotiate NAFTA, trying to get the darn wall built, attempting to put China in their place and has brought recognition to Jerusalem as Israel's capital.

If you think that demonstrates idiocy, your definition of idiocy is much different than mine.  This President is standing between a full blown take over from the leftists/marxists and Islamic terrorists and us. 

As I've always stated ... you can either join the attempt to restore our Republic or you can be party to those who are trying to take her down.  The choice is yours.

Great post @libertybele   but you are talking to people who have abandoned reason for hate and keep making self-indulgent cutesy posts designed to annoy the rest of us.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline cato potatoe

Problem is, the guy is trashing our geopolitical allies far worse than Obama.  What has Canada done, besides purchasing more of our stuff than any other country?

Oceander

:bigsilly:

Extra dibs on tinfoil, eh?  And denial.   Trump has no clue what he’s doing, other than effing things up for the sake of effing things up. He’s not renegotiating NAFTA, he’s putting a permanent kink in what was a very profitable trade deal for the US.  The Wall is just fictional pablum used to get the votes of the brain dead.  There will be no “Wall” a la Gaza, just bits and pieces here and there.  Putting China in its place by raising the costs for all Americans, in order to line the pockets of the fatcat steel and aluminum owners?  Yeah, right. 

Do-dee-doody, do-de-dooo.   
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 10:13:05 pm by Oceander »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Trump is "dumb as sh*t." - Gary Cohn

Offline driftdiver

@driftdiver

Trump makes a factual error, and you call Trudeau an idiot?     

But yes, Trudeau is an idiot.  Amazing we have just as bad here.

@Suppressed

Trudeau is destroying his country.  Trump is improving his.

Yes Trudeau is an idiot.  The kind that goes to India and tries to dress his entire family as Indians.  The kind that invites terrorists into his country.

Offline driftdiver

:bigsilly:

Extra dibs on tinfoil, eh?  And denial.   Trump has no clue what he’s doing, other than effing things up for the sake of effing things up. He’s not renegotiating NAFTA, he’s putting a permanent kink in what was a very profitable trade deal for the US.  The Wall is just fictional pablum used to get the votes of the brain dead.  There will be no “Wall” a la Gaza, just bits and pieces here and there.  Putting China in its place by raising the costs for all Americans, in order to line the pockets of the fatcat steel and aluminum owners?  Yeah, right. 

Do-dee-doody, do-de-dooo.

@Oceander

Tinfoil?  If anything he understated it.  Only a fool would deny what the globalists are pushing for.

Oceander

Trump is "dumb as sh*t." - Gary Cohn

Now that’s just insulting .... to sh*t.