Author Topic: Exclusive: Trump invokes War of 1812 in testy call with Trudeau over tariffs  (Read 8791 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Good post, but I think there is another reason the GOP politicos/pundits are so willing to undercut Pres. Trump at every turn. They are as much a part of the "faculty lounge" set as the Rats and casn't stand to see an outsider who just doesn't understand the complexities of govt/ policy succeed.

That's what I meant by the "Bushwood Country Club" set.  He's not a member of "the Club", and they think membership in "the Club" is more important than substantive policies.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

That's what I meant by the "Bushwood Country Club" set.  He's not a member of "the Club", and they think membership in "the Club" is more important than substantive policies.

Trump paid big money to both parties but can't get a membership in the club?  pathetic.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Trump paid big money to both parties but can't get a membership in the club?  pathetic.

"Hey Wang, don't tell em your Jewish.  This club is restricted"
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline bilo

We're pretty much on the same page.  I think of the country club set as the "privileged" group who condemn Pres. Trump because he's rough around the edges. I think of the "faculty lounge" as those who think they are intellectually superior to Pres. Trump. We can lump them into one, or separate them, either way they are the idiots.

What I really like about Pres. Trump is he confronts the big issues head on. He doesn't always win because the party behind have to many of the "Bushwood Country Club" set in it, but he confronts the big things and doesn't back off.   

A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Yep, "Never-Trumpers" are so "2016 one-hit wonders" as far as commenting goes...boooooring! Election over...move on...and let's talk policy.

Ya know @Drago, if it wouldn't hurt the rest of us, I almost wish that a few posters here would get what they seem to want ... no Trump, Hillary in charge, unlimited illegals, supporting unfair trade policies, a bad economy and so on.

But I only see their posts when someone quotes them so I got that going for me.  I would read their posts if they were just expressing opposing views, but they never have anything original or interesting to say ... just childish Trump insults.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Those of us to appreciate irony always like to see the arbiter of what is original and interesting post the same unoriginal and uninteresting comment thread after thread.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Suppressed

If someone wants to talk politics with me relating to Trump, the first thing I establish is that I have zero interest in discussion his tweets, or stupid shit he says.  That stuff is so much less important and interesting to me than policy discussions that I can't be bothered.

And that right there is the problem.

It would be like evaluating George W. Bush but not being willing to account for his spending and lack of border security.

Trump's tweets and stupidity do damage to us.   

I am curious, though, if you have no interest in this side of things...why are you on this thread?  I'll gladly discuss his assault on ordinary Americans in a tariff thread, or his alienation of Congress on a thread about why he's so ineffective in long-term solutions, etc.   But we're here.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

It would be like evaluating George W. Bush but not being willing to account for his spending and lack of border security.

I am curious, though, if you have no interest in this side of things...why are you on this thread?  I'll gladly discuss his assault on ordinary Americans in a tariff thread, or his alienation of Congress on a thread about why he's so ineffective in long-term solutions, etc.   But we're here.

@Suppressed   I don't ordinarily see your posts because you are fixated on Trump hate and it gets old.

But you do make a good point here.  I used to feel the way you do but I've evolved enough that I can take the Trump tweets and even admit they may be a good thing.

Trump tweets do not harm him or the country.  He gets his viewpoint out there and does it everyday.  The media cannot totally dominate any more.  It's like today's version of Roosevelt's fireside chats. 

I cannot believe you hang your Trump hate and animosity on the tweets. 

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Those of us (who) appreciate irony always like to see the arbiter of what is original and interesting post the same unoriginal and uninteresting comment thread after thread.

This! goopo

Offline Suppressed

@Suppressed   I don't ordinarily see your posts because you are fixated on Trump hate and it gets old.

Blah, blah, blah.

But you do make a good point here.

Of course I do.  You'd know that if you read my stuff.

I used to feel the way you do but I've evolved enough that I can take the Trump tweets and even admit they may be a good thing.

They can be a good thing.  He sometimes has someone else write them.

Trump tweets do not harm him or the country.

:silly:

Gotta get outside your bubble.  Engage with people around the world. 

He gets his viewpoint out there and does it everyday.

Yes, often on opposite sides, depending on what day.

I cannot believe you hang your Trump hate and animosity on the tweets.

I don't hate him.  What I feel is distaste, disgust, and revulsion at his behavior.  He's a pathetic little child, and despite being from NY, I paid him little regard until his fetor encroached upon that which I love: the American republic.

He occasionally does positive things, and I give credit for them.  Mostly, though, I shake my head at lost opportunities.  He wipes away Executive Orders with Executive Orders that can be just as easily wiped away, and his sycophants cheer like major victories have been won, rather than just morsels of red meat being tossed to their salivating (i.e., drooling) maws.

Much of what he does, he accomplishes via risky maneuvers.  Of course they usually pay off, like the guy getting to his destination faster by driving recklessly.  That doesn't mean that it was smart, just because he hasn't gotten unlucky yet.

So when he tweets as if he's accomplishing great things, or antagonizing others like a petty schoolboy, they aren't only facepalm moments, but they reflect on the republic and what we could accomplish if we didn't have such an ineffectual, impotent puffed-shirt gasbag in office.

Edit:  Oh, I supposed I was supposed to ping you, since you paraded around with your ignore sign.  Here you go: @Emjay
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 06:52:59 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Yep, "Never-Trumpers" are so "2016 one-hit wonders" as far as commenting goes...boooooring! Election over...move on...and let's talk policy.

Oh we talk policy...both good and bad...until someone doesn't speak 110% glowingly about something Trump does or says...then that upsets a certain subset around here.

Gotta be careful.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

No, it's nothing like that at all.

Personally, I think any "damage" done by his tweets is transitory, and of little or no substantive policy import.  It may affect his popularity, poll numbers or the daily press narrative because other people care about that stuff, but I find those topics generally uninteresting.  You may feel differently, but I have no interest in trying to persuade you to my position, or to listen to yours.

But that's not really my point anyway, or why I have no interest in debating it.  My point is that everything you've said about him being a "petty schoolboy", or "an ineffectual, impotent puffed-shirt gasbag" has been said by you and many, many, many others almost continuously since the summer of 2015.  I even agree with much of it.  But it is not new.  It amounts to having the exact same discussions over and over and over again, with guys like you making the exact same argument.  Even if you're right...doesn't it bore you to keep saying the same things about his character?

I'd rather discuss substantive issues, that do change, that do have a direct effect on us, and that I do think are interesting to discuss.  I honestly cannot fathom why some people are still interested in debating, after three freaking years, how much of a cad Trump is.

Let me put it this way:  I will stipulate that Trump is very often childish, rude, immature, and says amazing stupid and offensive things.  That's a given -- I agree.  So why the f*ck would I want to keep having that discussion????  Why is my lack of desire to discuss for the 10,000 time the exact same issue, when I actually agree with most of the criticism, "the problem."???  I literally do that with people.  I will say "I'll stipulate that Trump's tweets are stupid and offensive, that he says a lot of stupid and offensive things, etc..  So, now that we got that out of the way, can we please discuss actual policies, and not the stupid things he says?"

It's amazing how often some people simply are not willing to do that.  They can't take "yes" for an answer.  To me, that is the perfect definition of a "Trump Derangement Syndrome", because you want to keep debating a point even if the person on the other side isn't even arguing.  It's like a daily regimen of personal catharsis or something that you need to do to maintain mental health.

It is completely unfathomable to me. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 06:16:49 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
The only people who get upset about Trump's tweets are the people that don't like him. They are annoying but they cost us nothing.

Canadians have bragged about burning the WH for decades. Now they never heard of it.  Whatever. Justgrabher Trudeau will have to grope around to find something else of substance.
Countdown to Resignation

Oceander

Poor little snowflakes; simply cannot understand what is so objectionable about their new “God”.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Poor little snowflakes; simply cannot understand what is so objectionable about their new “God”.

@Oceander
There's only one God ma'am and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline cato potatoe

Can one of y'all explain why Canada would boycott the United States during wartime?  There must be some logic behind this move, if so many people are supportive.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
No, it's nothing like that at all.

Personally, I think any "damage" done by his tweets is transitory, and of little or no substantive policy import.  It may affect his popularity, poll numbers or the daily press narrative because other people care about that stuff, but I find those topics generally uninteresting.  You may feel differently, but I have no interest in trying to persuade you to my position, or to listen to yours.

But that's not really my point anyway, or why I have no interest in debating it.  My point is that everything you've said about him being a "petty schoolboy", or "an ineffectual, impotent puffed-shirt gasbag" has been said by you and many, many, many others almost continuously since the summer of 2015.  I even agree with much of it.  But it is not new.  It amounts to having the exact same discussions over and over and over again, with guys like you making the exact same argument.  Even if you're right...doesn't it bore you to keep saying the same things about his character?

I'd rather discuss substantive issues, that do change, that do have a direct effect on us, and that I do think are interesting to discuss.  I honestly cannot fathom why some people are still interested in debating, after three freaking years, how much of a cad Trump is.

Let me put it this way:  I will stipulate that Trump is very often childish, rude, immature, and says amazing stupid and offensive things.  That's a given -- I agree.  So why the f*ck would I want to keep having that discussion????  Why is my lack of desire to discuss for the 10,000 time the exact same issue, when I actually agree with most of the criticism, "the problem."???  I literally do that with people.  I will say "I'll stipulate that Trump's tweets are stupid and offensive, that he says a lot of stupid and offensive things, etc..  So, now that we got that out of the way, can we please discuss actual policies, and not the stupid things he says?"

It's amazing how often some people simply are not willing to do that.  They can't take "yes" for an answer.  To me, that is the perfect definition of a "Trump Derangement Syndrome", because you want to keep debating a point even if the person on the other side isn't even arguing.  It's like a daily regimen of personal catharsis or something that you need to do to maintain mental health.

It is completely unfathomable to me.

@Maj. Bill Martin   See, Bill, it's posts like the one you just made that keep me coming back to the forum.  You make so much dang sense, I'm just sitting here amazed at the insight and the articulate post.

That is exactly my problem with a majority of the NTers around here.  They will not let it go.  They keep harping on the things most of us admit and acknowledge about Trump.

I'm not as offended by Trump's tweets as I used to be.  They are Trump's weapon against a ruthless and lying media.  I don't begrudge him that weapon even though it might not be to my taste.

The reason that I have these naysayers on ignore is that they are repetitive, boring and depressing and they will not discuss issues on their merits if it is something that makes Trump look good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Edit:  Oh, I supposed I was supposed to ping you, since you paraded around with your ignore sign.  Here you go: @Emjay

No, no, no!  Don't do that!  I've seen that one blow up when people on her Iggy list ping her, even if there's no way of knowing directly if they are on it.  Pings from people on "Ignore" still get through to the recipient, and I've seen that cause blind rages.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
@Oceander
There's only one God ma'am and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that.

@driftdiver @Oceander   See, that post right there kind of encapulates the bizarre thinking that has evolved among the NTers. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Maj. Bill Martin   See, Bill, it's posts like the one you just made that keep me coming back to the forum.  You make so much dang sense, I'm just sitting here amazed at the insight and the articulate post.

That is exactly my problem with a majority of the NTers around here.  They will not let it go.  They keep harping on the things most of us admit and acknowledge about Trump.

I'm not as offended by Trump's tweets as I used to be.  They are Trump's weapon against a ruthless and lying media.  I don't begrudge him that weapon even though it might not be to my taste.

The reason that I have these naysayers on ignore is that they are repetitive, boring and depressing and they will not discuss issues on their merits if it is something that makes Trump look good.

@Emjay, love you, but you posting stuff like this just keeps it going.  The NTers can make a good argument about the ETers, too.  And, between the two poles, y'all can keep this going on forever.  Those of us who refuse to go to either extreme are getting really, really tired of the stupid back and forth between the ETs and NTs.

Keeps interesting, and intelligent conversation from happening.  And aggravates and irritates the rest of us. 

Why do it?  Do y'all really think that by insulting the other side you will bring them around to your point of view?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
No, no, no!  Don't do that!  I've seen that one blow up when people on her Iggy list ping her, even if there's no way of knowing directly if they are on it.  Pings from people on "Ignore" still get through to the recipient, and I've seen that cause blind rages.

@Cyber Liberty   See, I don't go around with blind rages.  I go around with irritation sometimes.  But, you are wrong.  Simply pinging someone does not result in that person seeing your post.  I would have to be very curious, indeed, to look at that person's post when I know it will only irritate me.  And since that person hasn't had an original thought since the primaries, what is the point?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
@Emjay, love you, but you posting stuff like this just keeps it going.  The NTers can make a good argument about the ETers, too.  And, between the two poles, y'all can keep this going on forever.  Those of us who refuse to go to either extreme are getting really, really tired of the stupid back and forth between the ETs and NTs.

Keeps interesting, and intelligent conversation from happening.  And aggravates and irritates the rest of us. 

Why do it?  Do y'all really think that by insulting the other side you will bring them around to your point of view?

You are right. 

Offline Lando Lincoln

100% correct.  Despite being charged otherwise, I'm a "neither" or a "tweener".  My favorite part of the forum was always the commentary and the unique viewpoint of members.  Now, it always seems to default to what camp you are in.  It is, as you say, irritating.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

@Sanguine
Strangely I never see you post anything like this in response to posts like @Oceander made telling us we considered Trump to be God. 

Something which is far more offensive to people of faith then anything Emjay has ever posted.

@Emjay   
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
@Sanguine
Strangely I never see you post anything like this in response to posts like @Oceander made telling us we considered Trump to be God. 

Something which is far more offensive to people of faith then anything Emjay has ever posted.

@Emjay

Thanks @Sanguine I didn't think I was being that nasty either, but I do admit it prolongs threads.  But has anyone ever seen an extended thread here that didn't involve infighting?  Nope, sad to say.  But thanks for pepping me up; I was gonna call it quits for the day.