Author Topic: Beto O'Rourke: The Democrat launching a surprisingly strong challenge against Ted Cruz  (Read 5528 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Beto O'Rourke: The Democrat launching a surprisingly strong challenge against Ted Cruz
by Laura Barrón-López | Mar 6, 2018, 8:00 AM

Rep. Beto O’Rourke still faces an uphill battle in his race against Republican Sen. Ted Cruz, but the El Paso Democrat is creating an energy that many in his party say they’ve never seen in Texas.

Written off as a long shot, O’Rourke is attracting new attention in his bid to unseat Cruz, thanks in part to stunning fundraising numbers. In the first 45 days of the year, O’Rourke raised $2.3 million to Cruz’s $800,000. O’Rourke boasts that he isn’t taking any PAC money, instead taking $25 contributions.

O’Rourke’s fellow Texas Democrats have seen a shift since the new year, noticing unusual excitement in their districts.

more
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/beto-orourke-the-democrat-launching-a-surprisingly-strong-challenge-against-ted-cruz/article/2650774
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
O’Rourke boasts that he isn’t taking any PAC money, instead taking $25 contributions

What do you want to bet these are from prepaid VISA cards, purchased by an organization.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline jpsb

If the illegals vote Cruz is toast.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Poquito Beto.  Your basic nonhispanic hispanic.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
ROFLMFAO!!!!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
They also said this about Wendy Davis.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Victoria33

Beto O'Rourke: The Democrat launching a surprisingly strong challenge against Ted Cruz
by Laura Barrón-López | Mar 6, 2018, 8:00 AM  Rep. Beto O’Rourke still faces an uphill battle in his race against Republican Sen. Ted Cruz, but the El Paso Democrat is creating an energy that many in his party say they’ve never seen in Texas.
mystery-ak

I read that and the pollster is going to look at the numbers voting today just as I am, to help determine what is going to happen in November.  We could lose Cruz.  I hope today's numbers show me that won't happen.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
mystery-ak

I read that and the pollster is going to look at the numbers voting today just as I am, to help determine what is going to happen in November.  We could lose Cruz.  I hope today's numbers show me that won't happen.

Yeah!  And the sun might come up in the West tomorrow as well!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
http://www.newsweek.com/ted-cruz-beto-orourke-texas-826727

U.S. Representative Beto O’Rourke of Texas is a former punk guitarist who curses like a sailor. He’s pro-choice, pro-gun control, pro-pot and pro-immigration, and he’s aiming to take Ted Cruz’s Senate seat in November.

Born Robert Francis O’Rourke, the Irish-American candidate goes by his childhood nickname of Beto, short for Roberto. He speaks fluent Spanish and regularly jaunts from El Paso to Juarez for lunch or a drink. His congressional district is 75 percent Hispanic, and he openly opposes Trump's border wall. States that border Mexico have "never been more secure," he says.

O’Rourke, a fourth-generation El Pasoan, grew up in a political household. His father was a county judge who worked with former Texas Governor Mark White, but O'Rourke himself was drawn to the anti-establishment ideals of the 1990s emerging punk scene in West Texas. Eventually, he moved to New York to attend Columbia University. After spending a few years working in New York’s tech sector, he moved back to El Paso in 1998 and established an internet services and software company.

Offline Just_Victor

Given the volume of sought endorsements from Senator Cruz, for those seeking office in Texas, this fear is probably garbage.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline jpsb

mystery-ak

We could lose Cruz. 

Only if the illegals vote in force. I'm GOP and I did not vote today. But I will vote in Nov.

Offline WingNot

Poquito Beto and his fellow Rats live in an Austin bubble.  They never grasp how real Texans live, work, and play, and most importantly...vote. 

Offline DB

Trump and his supporters wanted to "primary" him didn't they?

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Beto seems to be a real nice guy; but I could never vote for the Democratic agenda. That seems to be the saving grace across the board for the GOP.

He appears to me to be full Anglo/White, he just knows how to speak Spanish well.

El Paso, the city has a reputation and stats show it as one of the safest American cities there is. That shouldn't have much of an effect, just an interesting sidenote, it's been that way for decades.

Offline goodwithagun

Trump and his supporters wanted to "primary" him didn't they?

That's probably why the Beg-A-Thon is lagging.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

2016 Presidential election map.

:whistle:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline WingNot

That blue Square just south of DFW and Waco on I-35.   Someone please.... Nuke it from Space.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
That blue Square just south of DFW and Waco on I-35.   Someone please.... Nuke it from Space.

If we're lucky...the fall out will travel south and take out that blue swath along the Mexican border too.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline WingNot

If we're lucky...the fall out will travel south and take out that blue swath along the Mexican border too.

Yep.  I like it without Travis Co Everything will be coming up roses!

Offline libertybele

If the illegals vote Cruz is toast.

Yes indeed.  That's been my thoughts now for months.  The DEMS are angry, disgruntled and pushing very hard since they lost the oval office.  No other state would be any more of a significant win than TX.  Registering illegals, dead people and voting more than once, is within their realm of possibilities.

Though this is the primary, the DEM turn out should have everyone concerned.  This is the DEMS jackpot.  They win TX, they know that the GOP is done.   

I would hope that Trump and McConnell would cast aside their differences and help Cruz out ... I know I'm dreaming, but a loss in TX will be historical this time around.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Yep.  I like it without Travis Co Everything will be coming up roses!

But you have to admit...for the most part we DO manage to keep our Liberal nut jobs confined to one area of the state.

Better than most states I'd say.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Yes indeed.  That's been my thoughts now for months.  The DEMS are angry, disgruntled and pushing very hard since they lost the oval office.  No other state would be any more of a significant win than TX.  Registering illegals, dead people and voting more than once, is within their realm of possibilities.

Though this is the primary, the DEM turn out should have everyone concerned.  This is the DEMS jackpot.  They win TX, they know that the GOP is done.   

I would hope that Trump and McConnell would cast aside their differences and help Cruz out ... I know I'm dreaming, but a loss in TX will be historical this time around.

Y'all are forgetting that the 5th Circuit upheld the Texas Voter ID law in September of 2017.

They can put illegals on the voter rolls all the want to...but unless they have the proper ID...their vote es no Bueno.

Offline libertybele

Y'all are forgetting that the 5th Circuit upheld the Texas Voter ID law in September of 2017.

They can put illegals on the voter rolls all the want to...but unless they have the proper ID...their vote es no Bueno.

That is true.  However, you get a precinct that is heavily populated with illegal voters and a Hispanic or perhaps less than honorable precinct captain, and you can throw the proper ID law out the window. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
That is true.  However, you get a precinct that is heavily populated with illegal voters and a Hispanic or perhaps less than honorable precinct captain, and you can throw the proper ID law out the window.

Even if that were to happen...look at the sea of red on the map.  They can't cheat enough to overcome that.

Offline GrouchoTex

I am in that blue spot next to Harris County.
It surprised the heck out of me that Fort Bend County went Blue.