Author Topic: Beto O'Rourke: The Democrat launching a surprisingly strong challenge against Ted Cruz  (Read 5529 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Actually, almost everyone in El Paso speaks Spanglish and has a Spanish nickname.  It’s not “put-on”; it’s just part of being a border city.  So you have names like Lalo Korbanich, Cinco Feuille (Frank the fifth), Bambi Apodaca, Tita Ochoa (cue the boob jokes).  People called me Lala or Chacha. My son is called Pato (duck).  And people say things like, “Give me the leche, pues.”

Beto isn’t crude, regardless of  Urban Dictionary.  It’s short for Robert.  That’s what my dad’s friends called him.

Really?  I was always called by my given name as was my husband.  And, we had many friends who were hispanic.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Per Rush:  "If you add up the three Democrats in the Senate primary — Beto O’Rourke, Sema Hernandez, and Edward Kimbrough — those three don’t even total 800,000. Ted Cruz with 1.1 million. Ted Cruz beat every Democrat running combined. This was not supposed to happen."

Blue Wave?  Ride the trickle.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline jpsb

I voted at 5:30 yesterday, I was voter #68. In November, more than 600 will show up to vote, in a precinct that voted 3 to 1 for Cruz.

I think Cruz wins it. I certainly hope so, but we lost an even redder state Alabama. I all comes
down to turn out. Right now the rats have the momentum and the illegal vote. If the GOP does
not turn out in force Cruz might lose. But if the GOP gets it's butt in gear and begins to keep
promises made last election then the Rats will lose big time this midterm. If the GOP continues sits
on it's hands all bets are off.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I think Cruz wins it. I certainly hope so, but we lost an even redder state Alabama. I all comes
down to turn out. Right now the rats have the momentum and the illegal vote. If the GOP does
not turn out in force Cruz might lose. But if the GOP gets it's butt in gear and begins to keep
promises made last election then the Rats will lose big time this midterm. If the GOP continues sits
on it's hands all bets are off.

We lost Alabama because of a bad candidate.  Moore himself may not be a bad person, but he had too many perceived problems going into that election. 

Offline goodwithagun

It's a device to make him appear Hispanic.  And it probably works.

So he’s a white hispanic  :rolling:
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline WingNot

So he’s a white hispanic  :rolling:

No. He is a White nonhispanic who Identifies as one.

Offline goodwithagun

Don’t you just love using the term “identify”? Our English mastiff is in tact but the dog park near my in-laws requests spayed and neutered only. If you don’t abide, the soccer moms and Nancy looking dads take a pic of your dog and post on Facebook that you are a rule breaker. Any hoo, I just tell them that Goliath identifies as a spayed bitch. I make sure to use the term bitch often around the millennial crowd. They squirm.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Cruz pulled down 1.3 million votes last night.

Beto got 641thousand votes

Each primary had three candidates.

Beto is gonna get crushed.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Victoria33

So much for the feared "blue wave"
@txradioguy
@mystery-ak

Here is the problem with the Texas Primary numbers, comparing 2014 with 2018 - both non-presidential years.
Compare the Democrat votes 2018 with 2014.  The reality is, November is not a lock for Republicans, due to this Democrat increase.  If Independent voters vote Democrat this time in November (they tend not to vote in primaries), the outcome is more indefinite.

Democrats 2014 Primary Election   510,009
Democrats 2018 Primary Election 1,037,799

Republicans 2014 Primary Election 1,314,556
Republicans 2018 Primary Election 1,543,674

Offline WingNot

@txradioguy
@mystery-ak

Here is the problem with the Texas Primary numbers, comparing 2014 with 2018 - both non-presidential years.
Compare the Democrat votes 2018 with 2014.  The reality is, November is not a lock for Republicans, due to this Democrat increase.  If Independent voters vote Democrat this time in November (they tend not to vote in primaries), the outcome is more indefinite.

This points to the fact, that as always....You are a glass half empty type person.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
We lost Alabama because of a bad candidate.  Moore himself may not be a bad person, but he had too many perceived problems going into that election.

We lost Alabama because the inside the beltway bastards refused to mind their own damned business.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DB

This points to the fact, that as always....You are a glass half empty type person.

For engineers, the glass is too big...

Offline Frank Cannon

We lost Alabama because the inside the beltway bastards refused to mind their own damned business.

For Christ's sake. Roy Moore sucked.

Offline WingNot

For engineers, the glass is too big...

I wish I knew what that meant.  Maybe Roos can throw me a bone.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
@txradioguy
@mystery-ak

I don't know what the exact percentage of independents make up the TX voters.  It's usually less than 20%.  It seems as though, mathematically, they'd all need to vote against Cruz for O'Rourke to win.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
That's enough these days.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

According to everyone he scared the shit out of!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline WingNot

That's enough these days.

Ain't that the truth!

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

If I said it I'd be mocked.

Offline Frank Cannon

I couldn't give a shit if he won or lost. He would still be a slack jawed greasy bible salesman posing as someone who knew something.......which he did not.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 01:20:02 am by Frank Cannon »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
@txradioguy
@mystery-ak

Apples to oranges, though. Primary elections depend on a lot of things that may not carry over to the general. There were three candidates in that race. Looking at 2014, the only serious challenger to the Democrat nominee was a Larouchean, if you can even call them serious challengers. The Dems had a much bigger looming crisis on their hands than trying a fruitless effort to pick off Texas.

They were emboldened this time around, and even with a competitive voter turnout effort they still couldn't draw more voters than an incumbent Republican with a far less competitive primary.

Democrats have yet to show they can make Texas competitive in the 21st century. What are they going to do? Rehash Donald Trump's attacks from the '16 primary to depress GOP turnout?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline WingNot

If I said it I'd be mocked.

You kinda are a rubber ball.  What bounces of off us... sticks to you.  Well Once ..any way.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

<>
Let's hope Sen Cruz isn't too stupid to accept the support of jackasses.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 01:35:19 am by MOD3 »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

The campaign van didn't mitigate fears.

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Frank Cannon

Let's hope Sen Cruz isn't too stupid to accept the support of jackasses.

You mean the guy whose opening salvo against his opponent in his Senate race is pointing out that he is using a phony cultural name to get elected? What's his name? Oh yeah...... Rafael.