Author Topic: Beto O'Rourke: The Democrat launching a surprisingly strong challenge against Ted Cruz  (Read 5553 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

You mean the guy whose opening salvo against his opponent in his Senate race is pointing out that he is using a phony cultural name to get elected? What's his name? Oh yeah...... Rafael.
Which side are you on Frank?

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Which side are you on Frank?

What side are you on?
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline WingNot

Offline corbe

@Once-Ler ignore the clatter from the cheap seats, you are an appreciated and respected Member here.

*As is @Victoria33 who is also catching flak from the usual suspects.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:10:44 am by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline WingNot

@Once-Ler ignore the clatter from the cheap seats, you are an appreciated and respected Member here.

The great thing about Once is he is normal.  You are one f'd up dude,
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:14:12 am by Wingnut »

Offline Victoria33

I don't know what the exact percentage of independents make up the TX voters.  It's usually less than 20%.  It seems as though, mathematically, they'd all need to vote against Cruz for O'Rourke to win.
@edpc

I'm not considering Cruz, am thinking of every State Republican office holder and every county Republican office holder.

The great thing about Once is he is normal.
ahhh....

Offline WingNot

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
@txradioguy
@mystery-ak

Here is the problem with the Texas Primary numbers, comparing 2014 with 2018 - both non-presidential years.
Compare the Democrat votes 2018 with 2014.  The reality is, November is not a lock for Republicans, due to this Democrat increase.  If Independent voters vote Democrat this time in November (they tend not to vote in primaries), the outcome is more indefinite.

Democrats 2014 Primary Election   510,009
Democrats 2018 Primary Election 1,037,799

Republicans 2014 Primary Election 1,314,556
Republicans 2018 Primary Election 1,543,674

The problem with that is that democrats have figured out that they can't win squat running as democrats and run in the republican primary instead. Their buds then crossover and vote for their bud instead of the actual republican(s) in the race.  Some, but by no means all, of that got sorted out last night.

You can't tell squat about what will happen in November by looking a March primary races anymore.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Is the Twilight Zone on?
I voted for Sen Cruz in the GOP primaries.  He won my state (WI).  I am not at all embarrassed when I recount this TRUTH.  I know what Cruz stands for and I understand  his political philosophy.  I disagree with him on a few issues, but know that he has actually thought about the issues we disagree about, and I know he has honorable intentions.  I wished Walker and Perry had done better, but I could have been very satisfied by President Cruz. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:35:07 am by Once-Ler »

Offline Victoria33

@corbe

When a "usual suspect" starts a sentence with, "You are...", the subject has been changed to personal instead of staying on subject.

Offline libertybele

I voted for Sen Cruz in the GOP primaries.  He won my state (WI).  I am not at all embarrassed when I recount this TRUTH.  I know what Cruz stands for and I understand  his political philosophy.  I disagree with him on a few issues, but know that he has actually thought about the issues we disagree about, and I know he has honorable intentions.  I wished Walker and Perry had done better, but I could have been very satisfied by President Cruz.

IMHO, I think a President Cruz would be excellent; not to say that the swamp creatures would have tried to bury him as well, but he would have brought a level of respect and decency to the office of the President.  I think he would have had greater success than Trump has had so far in draining the swamp; certainly I don't think Ted would have let his AG look the other way as all the evidence of corruption surfaced surrounding Hillary and Bammy, et., al.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Yes indeed.  That's been my thoughts now for months.  The DEMS are angry, disgruntled and pushing very hard since they lost the oval office.  No other state would be any more of a significant win than TX.  Registering illegals, dead people and voting more than once, is within their realm of possibilities.

Or they could win it fair and square.   The dynamic that seems obvious to me is that the Dems are motivated this year, they haven't nominated a wild-eye,  and Cruz himself is not a particularly warm or likeable person.   He'd be great for the SCOTUS,  but he could very well lose an election for Senate. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Cruz himself is not a particularly warm or likeable person.

Nonsense
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 03:46:26 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
  and Cruz himself is not a particularly warm or likeable person.   

BS.  I met him at a campaign event during his first senatorial primary, and he was an absolutely genuine, friendly, and sincere conservative.  Just because  you've bought off on the MSM crap, and Cruz' turncoat RINO colleagues is your business.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
BS.  I met him at a campaign event during his first senatorial primary, and he was an absolutely genuine, friendly, and sincere conservative.  Just because  you've bought off on the MSM crap, and Cruz' turncoat RINO colleagues is your business.

Yes, same here, but then Jazzy lives in a different universe.

Offline Frank Cannon

Sen Ted Cruz's

Well maybe you should tell Ted/Rafael to stop doing stupid shit that will blow up in his face. You are constantly claiming Donny makes unforced errors. This stupid name shit is one of the most blatant I have ever seen.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Hey, you can react to constructive criticism by denigrating the messenger, or by taking steps to recognize, correct and overcome the problem.

If I were a voter in Texas, I'd vote for Sen. Cruz. This isn't a matter of supporting him;  he is smart, polished, loaded for bear with wonderful arguments and is a decent, principled and honorable man.   But I'm not the only one who realizes he tends to  spawn enemies, and is no one's idea of Mr. Warmth.   

GOP unity is a must,  and Cruz must do what he must (e.g., the requisite arse-kissing) to see that he gets it.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Yes, same here, but then Jazzy lives in a different universe.

Agreed.  Cruz went to Princeton, an ordinarily unpardonable sin.   

Offline Frank Cannon

If I were a voter in Texas, I'd vote for Sen. Cruz.

Too bad you can't vote for Americans where you live.......Cuba.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
GOP unity is a must, ...................

Wrong site, for that idea.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Wrong site, for that idea.

This is a conservative site not necessarily a GOP site.  So, wrong comment for this site.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

This is a conservative site not necessarily a GOP site. 

No, this is a big tent site.  All opinions are welcome.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
No, this is a big tent site.  All opinions are welcome.

No, not really.  Wild-eyed leftists, for instance.