Author Topic: Beto O'Rourke: The Democrat launching a surprisingly strong challenge against Ted Cruz  (Read 5559 times)

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
I don't believe an El Pasoan has ever won a statewide race. Not gonna happen this year, either.

Believe me, no one outside of West Texas pays any attention to El Paso.

:tongue2:
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Cruz's latest game changing radio spot.
! No longer available

Offline Frank Cannon

Cruz's latest game changing radio spot.

Good Christ. That one will get old quick with regular air play. How corny.

Offline corbe

That Song Suxs, I hope my local Americana Radio Station, which loves PAC money, doesn't start playing it..  He did a pretty good interview with Hugh Hewitt today though the phone reception was spotty, it's here:

http://therightscoop.com/ted-cruz-weighs-in-on-election-special-counsel-and-trump-tariffs-also-its-votin-day-in-texas/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Trump may go on the campaign trail for Ted and pull him across the finish line.
I don't know why this is worthy of ridicule for some.  maybe it is the wording...it implies Cruz can't win without Trump's help.  I didn't take offense, but I ain't from TX.  There are Trump voters who don't like Cruz.  Trump won TX by 9 points in 2016.  I think it is extremely likely that Trump will remain popular in TX for some time and Cruz will seek his endorsement and support on the campaign.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
That Song Suxs, I hope my local Americana Radio Station, which loves PAC money, doesn't start playing it.

It's terrible, but VA congressional candidate Dan Helmer has him beaten hands down for worst song/ad.....

! No longer available
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 05:45:54 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline corbe

Brain Bleach in case you watched @edpc's Virginia Commercial:

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline LauraTXNM

It's terrible, but VA congressional candidate Dan Helmer has him beaten hands down for worst song/ad.....

@edpc That ad is so terrible it's almost great.  He must have giant cojones.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 06:48:55 am by LauraTXNM »
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I don't know why this is worthy of ridicule for some.  maybe it is the wording...it implies Cruz can't win without Trump's help.  I didn't take offense, but I ain't from TX.  There are Trump voters who don't like Cruz.  Trump won TX by 9 points in 2016.  I think it is extremely likely that Trump will remain popular in TX for some time and Cruz will seek his endorsement and support on the campaign.

@Once-Ler that's exactly what Tom is implying and it's crap.

He detests Cruz and he has a fantasy that the Senator would somehow need Trump's help to win Texas.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline kidd

Cruz beat the democrat in 2012 by 16 percent.
You can start to worry if Cruz only wins by 6% in 2018.

But Cruz will win. Probably by 16%.
Let the democrats throw their money at this one. Money can only buy so many votes.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:34:02 pm by kidd »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Beto won guesstimating, 4% of the eligible voters in Texas, Cruz won about 8% of the eligible voters.   That shows, there is quite a bit to go in this battle.

I'd always have to go against the Democratic agenda but in turn, I would not forget the dirty backstabbers of never-Trump media like Red State, Glen Beck and others.  Some of these folks are already declaring victory.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:36:21 pm by TomSea »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Cruz beat the democrat in 2012 by 16 percent.
You can start to worry if Cruz only wins by 6% in 2018.

But Cruz will win. Probably by 16%.
Let the democrats throw their money at this one. Money can only buy so many votes.

And that is exactly the reason why I'm not panicking about Beto O'Rourke.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Beto won guesstimating, 4% of the eligible voters in Texas, Cruz won about 8% of the eligible voters.   That shows, there is quite a bit to go in this battle.

I'd always have to go against the Democratic agenda but in turn, I would not forget the dirty backstabbers of never-Trump media like Red State, Glen Beck and others.  Some of these folks are already declaring victory.

I honestly hope it just ruins your day when Cruz wins the state by a double digit margin...again.

I know you're praying every night that O'Rourke the Liberal Democrat wins...but much to everyone in the states delight...you're going to be extremely heartbroken on election night.

And all of Texas will smile.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The dems pulled in 1,036,942 votes total; the reps 1,541,264 in this race.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

So much for the feared "blue wave"

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Only 49.7% of eligible voters even in 2012 voted in the US Senate race in Texas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_Texas,_2012
This shows how people need to turn out for elections. The people who don't vote dwarfs even that 1.8 million dreamer figure we hear about.

I'm solidly for Cruz in this, only a team works but never-Trump media like Red State, Glenn Beck and others can go jump in the lake. Sorry backstabbers.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:56:17 pm by TomSea »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

You have to think more people will show up in November, even though it is a midterm. The results from the numbers above give Cruz a 19 point MOV.  That's a slight increase from his last election.

I don't see how they get so many more to come out to cut into that margin by any appreciable amount.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:59:53 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Night Hides Not

:tongue2:

@LauraTXNM , I lived in El Paso for 15 years, love the city. I should have said "politically speaking, no one outside of West Texas gives a damn about El Paso."
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

I voted at 5:30 yesterday, I was voter #68. In November, more than 600 will show up to vote, in a precinct that voted 3 to 1 for Cruz.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline GrouchoTex

Pretty amazing, since all the pundits had it flipped.
I got in about 5:45 pm  last night to vote.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
It is 'Robert Francis O'Rourke', not 'Beto'. That is a nickname and per Urban dictionary, a rather crude one.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
It is 'Robert Francis O'Rourke', not 'Beto'. That is a nickname and per Urban dictionary, a rather crude one.

It's a device to make him appear Hispanic.  And it probably works.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LauraTXNM

Actually, almost everyone in El Paso speaks Spanglish and has a Spanish nickname.  It’s not “put-on”; it’s just part of being a border city.  So you have names like Lalo Korbanich, Cinco Feuille (Frank the fifth), Bambi Apodaca, Tita Ochoa (cue the boob jokes).  People called me Lala or Chacha. My son is called Pato (duck).  And people say things like, “Give me the leche, pues.”

Beto isn’t crude, regardless of  Urban Dictionary.  It’s short for Robert.  That’s what my dad’s friends called him. 

Offline Frank Cannon

Probably not by the weak showing he had last night.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Probably not by the weak showing he had last night.

It's a sad world when you have a nonhispanic rat faking being a Hispanic in an election against a real live Hispanic.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."