Author Topic: GOP Senator Tom Cotton Blasts The Idea Americans Won't Work Certain Jobs  (Read 3258 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
GOP Senator Tom Cotton Blasts The Idea Americans Won't Work Certain Jobs

"I'm not aware of any job that an American won't do."

CN  Jacob Airey

?  August 3, 2017

Excerpt:

aware of any job that an American won't do."

CN  Jacob Airey

?  August 3, 2017

Arkansas Senator Tom Cotton, a Republican, blasted the notion that illegal immigrants are doing the jobs that Americans refuse to do. He called the constantly repeated claim by the left, “emotional and opinionated, and yet uninformed.”

Cotton appeared on The Laura Ingraham Show on Thursday where he defended his immigration reform bill known as the RAISE Act against the left and even establishment members of his own party. He pointed to the fact that Americans are doing those jobs, according to statistics from the Labor Department.

Senator Cotton said, "I'm not aware of any job that an American won't do. The facts are native-born Americans make up the majority in every single industry in this country."

http://www.conservativenews.com/article/3789/gop-senator-tom-cotton-blasts-idea

Next President?
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline dfwgator

Arkansas Senator Tom Cotton, a Republican, blasted the notion that illegal immigrants are doing the jobs that Americans refuse to do. He called the constantly repeated claim by the left, “emotional and opinionated, and yet uninformed.”

So, George W. Bush is now considered, "the Left"?

Online DB

Is that a trick question?

Offline Chosen Daughter

George W. Bush wasn't really Conservative.  He was always pandering to Presidente Fox.  One time Fox came and was dictating how people from his country should be treated.  I thought to myself there is a Fox in the hen house.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online roamer_1

Well, he certainly wasn't 'the right'.

Offline Suppressed

Tom Cotton needs to get out into the real world.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Chosen Daughter

Tom Cotton needs to get out into the real world.

Explain

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Well, he certainly wasn't 'the right'.
Old GW certainly had and has his problems, but I am still glad we had him instead of manbearpig. When you look at these jobs that Americans supposedly won't do? They were all traditionally done by Americans, until they moved up and the jobs they left  were filled by lower paid and often undocumen.......screw it, illegals. And what has happened over time is that it has now become such a hostile environment for non Hispanics that those jobs are effectively out of reach of non Hispanics.

How many non Hispanic garbagemen do you see, here in California it's zero and those are relatively well paid and benefited jobs, Fast Food most all Hispanic with the exclusion of chains like In-N-Out, many areas of the construction trades have flat out been taken over by immigrants from south of our border and it sure as hell isn't because the work is too distasteful.

Online roamer_1

Old GW certainly had and has his problems, but I am still glad we had him instead of manbearpig.

I am done equivocating. I was not happy with dubya by the end of his first term. By the end of his second... This particular Nativist won't defend him for anything.

When you look at these jobs that Americans supposedly won't do? They were all traditionally done by Americans, until they moved up and the jobs they left  were filled by lower paid and often undocumen.......screw it, illegals. And what has happened over time is that it has now become such a hostile environment for non Hispanics that those jobs are effectively out of reach of non Hispanics.

How many non Hispanic garbagemen do you see, here in California it's zero and those are relatively well paid and benefited jobs, Fast Food most all Hispanic with the exclusion of chains like In-N-Out, many areas of the construction trades have flat out been taken over by immigrants from south of our border and it sure as hell isn't because the work is too distasteful.[/size]

I can't tell ya. Here in NW Montana, there are few illegals... Just cowboys and indians, other than orchard workers that come through.

So there seems to be plenty of folks workin' here doing the jobs Americans won't do... Except they're all Americans doing those jobs...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 05:12:37 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Chosen Daughter

Old GW certainly had and has his problems, but I am still glad we had him instead of manbearpig. When you look at these jobs that Americans supposedly won't do? They were all traditionally done by Americans, until they moved up and the jobs they left  were filled by lower paid and often undocumen.......screw it, illegals. And what has happened over time is that it has now become such a hostile environment for non Hispanics that those jobs are effectively out of reach of non Hispanics.

How many non Hispanic garbagemen do you see, here in California it's zero and those are relatively well paid and benefited jobs, Fast Food most all Hispanic with the exclusion of chains like In-N-Out, many areas of the construction trades have flat out been taken over by immigrants from south of our border and it sure as hell isn't because the work is too distasteful.

It is a hostile takeover of American jobs.  Tom Cotton is right on with this.  I can't take Trump seriously on immigration.  American first when he hires guest workers over Americans.  Trump himself has said the same.  He needs immigrants because Americans won't do it.  Horse crap. 

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: GOP Senator Tom Cotton Blasts The Idea Americans Won't Work Certain Jobs
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 05:32:34 am »
I am done equivocating. I was not happy with dubya by the end of his first term. By the end of his second... This particular Nativist won't defend him for anything.

I can't tell ya. Here in NW Montana, there are few illegals... Just cowboys and indians, other than orchard workers that come through.

So there seems to be plenty of folks workin' here doing the jobs Americans won't do... Except they're all Americans doing those jobs...
Not defending GW, don't want to and not trying to equivocate, that said with the choices we had we were still better with bad instead of worse. I know having worked and run food for over twenty years and several trades in construction or fifteen years in California exactly how those jobs were impacted and how that affected native Americans. And even though I'm first generation I wouldn't have a real problem with severely throttling back immigration across the board.

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 03:18:33 pm »
Mr. Cotton don't get out much, then. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 03:26:28 pm »
Mr. Cotton don't get out much, then.

O, remember that when Americans do the same jobs they have to file and pay taxes.  It puts them at a distinct disadvantage.  For instance, if you were to start doing lawn maintenance, you would have to pay more for American workers (taxes, SSN, Medicaid and Workers Comp), plus your own taxes, plus somebody to do the bookkeeping.  You couldn't compete.

Oceander

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 03:29:57 pm »
O, remember that when Americans do the same jobs they have to file and pay taxes.  It puts them at a distinct disadvantage.  For instance, if you were to start doing lawn maintenance, you would have to pay more for American workers (taxes, SSN, Medicaid and Workers Comp), plus your own taxes, plus somebody to do the bookkeeping.  You couldn't compete.

The fix for that is so blindingly obvious I don't know why nobody's picked up on it: give them all legalized guest worker status.  Without having the weapon of the IMMI hanging over their heads, guest workers would very quickly insist on getting paid minimum wage (or better) and would turn in the tax cheats. 

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 03:33:35 pm »
The fix for that is so blindingly obvious I don't know why nobody's picked up on it: give them all legalized guest worker status.  Without having the weapon of the IMMI hanging over their heads, guest workers would very quickly insist on getting paid minimum wage (or better) and would turn in the tax cheats. 

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy

Except that there's a lot more to it than that.  First, you have to shut down the border.  Why the hell would anyone bother going to the trouble of getting a card when they can just sneak across?  So, that involves enforcement too.  Sounds easy, but it's not.

And, of course, how would this stop criminals coming in? 

Oh, and the part about if you get a worker ID then you can file for an earned income credit AND claim your 14 children in Guatamela?  There's a whole lot that would need fixing before your idea would be workable.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 03:34:39 pm by Sanguine »

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 03:37:10 pm »
Except that there's a lot more to it than that.  First, you have to shut down the border.  Why the hell would anyone bother going to the trouble of getting a card when they can just sneak across?  So, that involves enforcement too.  Sounds easy, but it's not.

Oh, and the part about if you get a worker ID then you can file for an earned income credit AND claim you 14 children in Guatamela?  There's a whole lot that would need fixing before your idea would be workable.

Because being legal is much less of a headache than being illegal.  The key is not being xenophobic nativists with a persistent belief in fallacies such as a hermetically sealable border. 

Cost is also a factor.  Why pay a coyote $10,000 or more to get you across the border illegally when you can pay a small processing fee and come in legally?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 03:38:51 pm »
Because being legal is much less of a headache than being illegal.  The key is not being xenophobic nativists with a persistent belief in fallacies such as a hermetically sealable border. 

Cost is also a factor.  Why pay a coyote $10,000 or more to get you across the border illegally when you can pay a small processing fee and come in legally?

Xenophobic nativist?  Are you seriously accusing me of that?

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 03:41:49 pm »
Xenophobic nativist?  Are you seriously accusing me of that?

Not necessarily.  Just throwing it out there. 

But if you think Trump's wall is the solution to all, then you are deluded. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2017, 03:45:02 pm »
Not necessarily.  Just throwing it out there. 

But if you think Trump's wall is the solution to all, then you are deluded.

"Throwing it out there"?  That's not the sort of thing you just casually throw out there. 

And, why the hell are you bringing "Trump's wall" into this?  Where have I said anything even remotely referring to a wall?

Oceander

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2017, 03:47:07 pm »
"Throwing it out there"?  That's not the sort of thing you just casually throw out there. 

And, why the hell are you bringing "Trump's wall" into this?  Where have I said anything even remotely referring to a wall?

Do you, or do you not, want to shut the border down first, and do you, or do you not, think that people will continue to come in illegally, as opposed to legally, if they can just walk across the border?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2017, 03:50:10 pm »
Do you, or do you not, want to shut the border down first, and do you, or do you not, think that people will continue to come in illegally, as opposed to legally, if they can just walk across the border?

You didn't answer my question.  You first.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2017, 04:39:21 pm »
It's not that Americans won't do them. It's that they won't do them for the compensation being offered—and when there are those that will, the employers will redline them with bogus prerequisites.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Oceander

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2017, 04:41:42 pm »
It's not that Americans won't do them. It's that they won't do them for the compensation being offered—and when there are those that will, the employers will redline them with bogus prerequisites.

That's the basic meaning of refusing to do a job: won't do it for the pay offered.  There are plenty of jobs that plenty of Americans won't do.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2017, 04:47:11 pm »
George W. Bush wasn't really Conservative.  He was always pandering to Presidente Fox.  One time Fox came and was dictating how people from his country should be treated.  I thought to myself there is a Fox in the hen house.

Please don't start.  The hatred of a good man and the Last Good President on this forum infuriates me. 
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2017, 04:59:43 pm »
This discussion reminds me of something I read a few days ago while relatives were visiting from the Mainland.

It was about the sugar cane industry in Maui.  When we lived in Haiku, we passed fields of sugar cane every day and there was a huge Sugar processing plant on the Island.  Sugar cane had always grown here but the fields had been worked by natives and then the native population was decimated by diseases brought over by immigrants.  Native Hawaiians wouldn't work the plants ....they preferred to farm and fish.

Plantation owners imported workers from China, Japan, Korea, Portugal and The Philippines, eventually turning Hawaii into a melting pot with no majority population.

Sugar is gone now.  The old plant, a major employer for years, is closed.  We hope sugar will come back.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.