Author Topic: GOP Senator Tom Cotton Blasts The Idea Americans Won't Work Certain Jobs  (Read 3260 times)

Online roamer_1

Re: GOP Senator Tom Cotton Blasts The Idea Americans Won't Work Certain Jobs
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2017, 09:49:55 pm »
Very hard to find an American willing to do it around here from what I've seen and heard.

Right... but why isn't that vacuum being filled by poor Americans seeking their fortunes? Because y'all prefer your illegal alien culture, that's why.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2017, 09:51:43 pm »
Right... but why isn't that vacuum being filled by poor Americans seeking their fortunes? Because y'all prefer your illegal alien culture, that's why.

Yep.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2017, 09:52:59 pm »

If you say so. It's also hard, backbreaking, dangerous work. Most around here would rather code in an air conditioned office.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2017, 09:56:26 pm »
If you say so. It's also hard, backbreaking, dangerous work. Most around here would rather code in an air conditioned office.

Then y'all deserve your end. Folks that won't do for themselves wind up done by others. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 09:56:54 pm by roamer_1 »

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2017, 09:59:48 pm »
Then y'all deserve your end. Folks that won't do for themselves wind up done by others. Enjoy.

I try to do as much as possible. Physically I'm unable to do a lot of work myself.

Around here there just aren't a huge base of people willing to do this work. It's not ideal perhaps but imo it's reality.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 10:00:26 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Oceander

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2017, 10:07:50 pm »
Not so, @Oceander, and because people want illegal immigration slowed or stopped does not make them "xenophobic nativists".  Not sure what your comprehension problem is, but it apparently has little or nothing to do with facts.

Absolutely so.  Why don't you come visit my neck of the woods - LI, NY - and I'll show you facts. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2017, 10:20:01 pm »
Absolutely so.  Why don't you come visit my neck of the woods - LI, NY - and I'll show you facts.

Afraid not.  I'm in Texas and I actually know firsthand what I'm talking about. 

Offline skeeter

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2017, 10:24:38 pm »

I'm in the SF Bay Area and you're right.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2017, 10:30:01 pm »
I try to do as much as possible. Physically I'm unable to do a lot of work myself.

I wasn't pointing that at you directly (that's what the y'all is for). I ain't as good as I once was either.

Around here there just aren't a huge base of people willing to do this work. It's not ideal perhaps but imo it's reality.

Right - but that is because you have an illegal alien population that has everyone else frozen out. The money isn't even that much different anymore. I know we did door packages for folks down south of here, and out on the coast, and we were competitive with local pricing (we had a reputation for quality using old fashioned oil varnishes). I would be surprised if your cost per square ft floor is cheaper than mine here.

The vacuum caused by their departure will have little repercussion, with the exception of providing an avenue toward wealth for those who are willing - and I think they are there, even right in your area. The trades have long been the way forward for poor boys making a way for their families.

Oceander

« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2017, 10:52:20 pm »

Not about NY you don't.  Nor about any place other than Texas, it would appear.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2017, 11:02:10 pm »
I think excessive regulation and over-taxation is as big a factor in companies moving as is labor costs.

Fair enough.  And American workers have to realize that if they want OSHA protection, then they should expect to be paid less than foreign workers, in order to have the same labor cost.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2017, 11:03:46 pm »
Welp... around here the illegals I see, say what you will about them, but they friggin bust their ass. And I'm all for enforcing our immigrations laws.

Very rare to see an American work themselves that hard.

Sadly, that's been my experience, too.   :shrug:
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2017, 11:05:19 pm »
We'll have to disagree he is out of touch.  The background is essential to who he is and living in Washington hasn't changed that.  It's similar to professional athletes or entertainers that escape bad situations, but still engage in dumbassery, despite their change of venue.

So you really, honestly believe that there aren't people in this country who won't take certain jobs?

Wow.  Maybe you're a bit out of touch, too.  I don't mean that to cause offense, but if you're not familiar with that situation, then I can't say you're in touch with the world out here.
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2017, 11:18:28 pm »

They seem to have forgotten David French having to come to Kevin Williamson's defense about 15 or 16 months ago, over how formerly vibrant upstate NY has become lulled into dependency.

Many now would rather just get a government check or sleep in their parents' basement than to take a job they don't favor.
+++++++++

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2017, 11:52:40 pm »
Please don't start.  The hatred of a good man and the Last Good President on this forum infuriates me.

Then be infuriated.  I think Bush was good and bad.  He wasn't good on immigration.  Illegal immigration ballooned during his Presidency.  You always have to be a drama queen.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2017, 12:03:52 am »
Because being legal is much less of a headache than being illegal.  The key is not being xenophobic nativists with a persistent belief in fallacies such as a hermetically sealable border. 

Cost is also a factor.  Why pay a coyote $10,000 or more to get you across the border illegally when you can pay a small processing fee and come in legally?

Think about what you just wrote.  They pay coyote $10,000 or more.  Those are some poor people.....no.  They come here and get all the free benefits.  Have children in the hospitals for free.  Free health, dental.  Cash benefits and food stamps/cards.  You see them at the grocery store getting out of their Humvee and filling up three carts just to pay with their food stamps.  Some have homes in Mexico and come here to start a business so that they can retire well off in Mexico.  Our government issues tax id's that allow them to buy cars, homes, loans for businesses that Americans have to compete with.  Its an endless cycle.  But they are not poor people.  Then they file taxes just to get huge refunds.  I know an illegal who received a 10,000 dollar refund.  How?

http://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/james-agresti/

Its easy for them to work at a low wage when we all pay for their health, dental and food.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 12:29:29 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2017, 12:19:35 am »
As much as I'm against illegal immigration and think that border security is important, I get frustrated with people who think that cutting off cheaper labor will somehow make American companies -- that are already having trouble competing -- will suddenly decide they can still stay in business while paying over-market wages.   I hate to say it, but many Americans have an inflated self-worth and think they are entitled to get paid more than a foreign worker for the same job out of some birthright charity.

American companies in that scenario either have to go out of business (because they can't compete with foreign companies who use market-rate labor), or they have to leave the US so they can use market-rate labor.  Is this what we want?!

A guest worker program where publicly funded benefits are cut off, and costs are put onto the guest workers, is probably the best solution.

Usually I agree with you but your posts today are insulting to American workers.

First let me ask you do you have a distaste for people on welfare?  If your answer is yes then why do you want to provide employer welfare?  You start a business you know that you have to compete.  Your answer is illegal immigrants or guest workers.  Why should I give a crap if a business folds when they won't hire Americans?  All they are doing is sucking of tax payers who provide what they won't.  Health insurance and wages enough to live off.  Americans want to do the jobs but they have to make enough to live also.

I am not for welfare of any kind.  If you have a better product than the other guy you will succeed.  If you can't you deserve to fold. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 12:21:51 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2017, 12:25:01 am »
Sadly, that's been my experience, too.   :shrug:

You certainly don't work with the people I work with.  Work ethic has nothing to do with race.  So tired of the memes.  I am American and I work my butt off.  Over and above.  And being that in manufacturing illegals have driven wages down.  I have to work a ton of O.T. to pay my bills.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 12:25:24 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2017, 12:30:02 am »
You certainly don't work with the people I work with.  Work ethic has nothing to do with race.  So tired of the memes.  I am American and I work my butt off.  Over and above.  And being that in manufacturing illegals have driven wages down.  I have to work a ton of O.T. to pay my bills.

I'm in a very good place to be able to assess the work ethic of illegals - large sample size.

Surprise, surprise - some work hard, some are lazy as hell. Some clean up the worksite at the end of every work day, others will leave a pile of crap in your backyard for your dog to find.

Many won't take a job for less than thirty or forty dollars an hour. So you are right - the memes are as inaccurate as a stereotype can be and are growing tiresome.

Offline jedidah

« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2017, 12:30:48 am »
Saw a piece on national news a while ago about the shortage of qualified applicants, and they used Texas construction jobs as an example.

Housing is hot in Texas now, a seller's market for the past couple of years, because our economy is good and because lots of California jobs have relocated here.  Construction jobs are plentiful, but many hispanics have gone back south for fear of deportation and because the Mexican economy is improving.  Oil and gas is heating up again, too.

So ...  there are jobs aplenty, but not enough workers.

It's time to add a work requirement to welfare, including food stamps.  There truly are Americans unwilling to take those hot and laborious jobs.

(fyi:  I speak of what I see.  I work weekly with the low income demographic, many of whom are truly in need through disability or illness, but many more of whom are content to scrape by on charity and have no desire to support themselves.  I can also state with confidence that many hispanics have gone back south.  A used car dealer, a friend, lamented to me yesterday that his business was down as a result.  Stereotypical, for sure, but also true.)

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2017, 12:34:22 am »
I'm in a very good place to be able to assess the work ethic of illegals - large sample size.

Surprise, surprise - some work hard, some are lazy as hell. Some clean up the worksite at the end of every work day, others will leave a pile of crap in your backyard for your dog to find.

Many won't take a job for less than thirty or forty dollars an hour. So you are right - the memes are as inaccurate as a stereotype can be and are growing tiresome.

Thank you.  I work with many.  I know a lot who are lazy as hell and I work circles around them.  And I am loyal to the company.  Some continuously come back 5, 10 late from breaks and lunch.  They are socializing all day long.  And even I would not call them all lazy.  Like I said work ethic has nothing to do with race.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2017, 12:35:21 am »

And, you, from NY, are going to lecture me on illegal immigration and manual labor jobs?  Sure.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 12:36:08 am by Sanguine »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2017, 12:36:09 am »
Thank you.  I work with many.  I know a lot who are lazy as hell and I work circles around them.  And I am loyal to the company.  Some continuously come back 5, 10 late from breaks and lunch.  They are socializing all day long.  And even I would not call them all lazy.  Like I said work ethic has nothing to do with race.

If we need the labor then adjust the legal process.

There is NEVER a good reason to tolerate illegal immigration. Never.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2017, 12:38:57 am »
Saw a piece on national news a while ago about the shortage of qualified applicants, and they used Texas construction jobs as an example.

Housing is hot in Texas now, a seller's market for the past couple of years, because our economy is good and because lots of California jobs have relocated here.  Construction jobs are plentiful, but many hispanics have gone back south for fear of deportation and because the Mexican economy is improving.  Oil and gas is heating up again, too.

So ...  there are jobs aplenty, but not enough workers.

It's time to add a work requirement to welfare, including food stamps.  There truly are Americans unwilling to take those hot and laborious jobs.

(fyi:  I speak of what I see.  I work weekly with the low income demographic, many of whom are truly in need through disability or illness, but many more of whom are content to scrape by on charity and have no desire to support themselves.  I can also state with confidence that many hispanics have gone back south.  A used car dealer, a friend, lamented to me yesterday that his business was down as a result.  Stereotypical, for sure, but also true.)

In my state it is well known that Hispanics do those jobs now.  Maybe unenjoyment isn't doing their job placing people.  I am not saying there aren't lazy Americans but I don't buy it as a blanket statement.

And I agree.  Cut off welfare for those that won't work.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 12:40:09 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2017, 12:45:17 am »
If we need the labor then adjust the legal process.

There is NEVER a good reason to tolerate illegal immigration. Never.

Agree.  But they should not be eligible for state benefits.  If I could go without health insurance for years they can go without too until they get benefits from employer.  If an employer is not required to insure tuff luck.  Pay for it yourself like the rest of us do.  If we leveled the scales so that they had to provide for themselves like Americans they wouldn't come.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 12:45:52 am by Chosen Daughter »