Author Topic: Senate Democrats set conditions for tax reform  (Read 3061 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate Democrats set conditions for tax reform
« on: August 01, 2017, 01:44:23 pm »

Senate Democrats set conditions for tax reform

By ELANA SCHOR

08/01/2017 07:00 AM EDT

Senate Democrats laid down a marker Tuesday for any future tax reform legislation, urging President Donald Trump and the GOP to seek a bipartisan bill and outlining the conditions to secure their votes.

Many Republicans are pressing their leaders to move past the controversial Obamacare repeal debate and dig in on a tax overhaul, but the tax reform debate looks increasingly likely to reflect the same partisan divisions. Still, Democrats are making their move early in hopes of trying to secure the seats at the negotiating table that the GOP denied them on Obamacare.

more
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/01/tax-reform-senate-democrats-241182?lo=ap_f1
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Re: Senate Democrats set conditions for tax reform
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 08:07:15 pm »
 :silly: :silly: :silly:

"Tax reform cannot be a cover story for delivering tax cuts to the wealthiest," the senators wrote. "We will not support any tax plan that includes tax cuts for the top 1 percent."

Just send it all in to us. ALL of it.

I can hear it already. Is it live or is it Memorex?

"But where's the money coming from to Pay for these tax cuts for the evil rich?"
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 08:10:06 pm »
Since when does the minority party get to set the terms?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 08:16:23 pm »
:silly: :silly: :silly:

"Tax reform cannot be a cover story for delivering tax cuts to the wealthiest," the senators wrote. "We will not support any tax plan that includes tax cuts for the top 1 percent."

Just send it all in to us. ALL of it.

I can hear it already. Is it live or is it Memorex?

"But where's the money coming from to Pay for these tax cuts for the evil rich?"

So the people who actually pay the most taxes cannot expect to share in the tax cuts?  Why am I not surprised.  I suppose my taxes will go up.  Just barely crack the top 1% (DH and me together)  We pay 6 figures in federal tax alone and we dont make THAT much.  The AMT and roll off of deductions kill us  Our effective tax rate is around 50% when all is said and done. Basically I work for the government and we live on what my husband makes. I'm so excited to hear we don't deserve a break after working nights, weekends, holidays etc to make money for others....
God is still in control

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 08:17:35 pm »

Since the majority party is a bunch of weak kneed pansies that fall over if you say BOO or members of the minority party in disguise.
God is still in control

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 08:29:25 pm »
So the people who actually pay the most taxes cannot expect to share in the tax cuts?  Why am I not surprised.  I suppose my taxes will go up.  Just barely crack the top 1% (DH and me together)  We pay 6 figures in federal tax alone and we dont make THAT much.  The AMT and roll off of deductions kill us  Our effective tax rate is around 50% when all is said and done. Basically I work for the government and we live on what my husband makes. I'm so excited to hear we don't deserve a break after working nights, weekends, holidays etc to make money for others....

The leadership is in the top 1%.  They try to make it sound like they don't want a break to soothe the masses.  In truth, they write tax law and know all the shelters, deductions, and exemptions.  Their accountants make sure the never pay anywhere near the bracket rate.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 08:38:42 pm »

Since the two parties' interests became indistinguishable.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 08:40:29 pm »

When the majority party can't get its motherflippin' act together.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 08:47:13 pm »
The leadership is in the top 1%.  They try to make it sound like they don't want a break to soothe the masses.  In truth, they write tax law and know all the shelters, deductions, and exemptions.  Their accountants make sure the never pay anywhere near the bracket rate.

Every piece of legislation that has been passed that was meant to 'soak the rich' winds up soaking the middle class.

That being said, let's try cutting the damn spending first, then we can talk about the taxes.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 12:47:45 pm »
Every piece of legislation that has been passed that was meant to 'soak the rich' winds up soaking the middle class.

That being said, let's try cutting the damn spending first, then we can talk about the taxes.

Cutting spending is difficult when so much of the federal budget is tied up in entitlements.   Even alleged budget hawks like John Kasich spit the bit when real spending cuts threaten a favored entitlement.   All that ends up happening is less money for the military,  even as global crises proliferate.

I want tax reform that directly emphasizes economic growth and domestic job creation.  Not Mike Lee-style tax reform.   I support cutting or eliminating corporate income taxes, and if the trade-off is raising individual income tax rates on the rich, then so be it. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 12:48:33 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 12:55:47 pm »

I want tax reform that directly emphasizes economic growth and domestic job creation. 

You do realize that's not the job of the government right?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 12:56:13 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 01:10:36 pm »
The can pass into law a single bill (HR25) currently languishing in the Ways and Means Committee and the economy will take off like a rocket!  Doing so will also cement the party in power when it happens for two full generations at least!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 01:18:20 pm »
You do realize that's not the job of the government right?

It's not the job of the government to collect taxes and set tax policy? 

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 01:23:01 pm »

Seriously? If you are paying 6 figures in federal taxes you are making a heck of a lot more than the majority of most people.  Somehow I don't feel sorry for you.  I would suggest though that if 50% of your earnings is going to taxes, you find a better CPA who can do a little creative accounting.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 01:24:51 pm »
It's not the job of the government to collect taxes and set tax policy?

Policy and collection is there job.  That's not what I asked you.

It's not their job to...as you put in the part I bolded...provide "economic growth and domestic job creation".

That's not their job.  Just making sure you understand that.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 01:25:42 pm »
Seriously? If you are paying 6 figures in federal taxes you are making a heck of a lot more than the majority of most people.  Somehow I don't feel sorry for you. I would suggest though that if 50% of your earnings is going to taxes, you find a better CPA who can do a little creative accounting.

And that is how class warfare takes root.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 01:26:40 pm »
The can pass into law a single bill (HR25) currently languishing in the Ways and Means Committee and the economy will take off like a rocket!  Doing so will also cement the party in power when it happens for two full generations at least!

So far all that I can see is that is was introduced in the House on 1-3-17 and has 45 co-sponsors -  nothing else.  :shrug:  Phone calls and e-mails are in the works!

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 01:29:14 pm »
So far all that I can see is that is was introduced in the House on 1-3-17 and has 45 co-sponsors -  nothing else.  :shrug:  Phone calls and e-mails are in the works!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 01:33:53 pm »
And that is how class warfare takes root.

Let me clarify ... she (they) are working for their money and have earned their money and should be able to keep more of their money; that's a given. However, taxes are killing most of us. My contention is not how much money they make, but find it ironic that they are complaining that they make so much money that they have to pay more in taxes. 

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2017, 01:35:16 pm »
Policy and collection is there job.  That's not what I asked you.

It's not their job to...as you put in the part I bolded...provide "economic growth and domestic job creation".

That's not their job. 

The government sets tax policy so they've the power to either stifle or promote economic growth.

So, yes, it is their job.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 02:07:17 pm »
The government sets tax policy so they've the power to either stifle or promote economic growth.

So, yes, it is their job.

No it's not. 

The government doesn't create jobs or wealth.  They can set the conditions for it so that business owners and citizens in the private sector can make the most of what they have or don't have...but as time and history has proven, the economy can flourish despite the Government's action or in some cases inaction.

And why is that?  Because of the individual, not because of the Government.

You act like any money, any wealth a person or a business has is because of the Government.  That's simply not true.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 02:11:02 pm »
Let me clarify ... she (they) are working for their money and have earned their money and should be able to keep more of their money; that's a given. However, taxes are killing most of us. My contention is not how much money they make, but find it ironic that they are complaining that they make so much money that they have to pay more in taxes.

You do realize don't you that the people that pay the most in taxes based on income are also the one that pay the bulk of the taxes period?

I don't blame them for complaining about the tax bill they have.  EVERYONE should be upset with their tax bill.

We are getting nothing in return for what we pay in except for a slush fund to give handouts to those that don't deserve it because they've learned they can sit on their lazy @ss and live quite well that way.

What do you think is going to happen when the Feds can't squeeze anymore money out of the people you are chiding for not being happy about their tax bill?

They're gonna come after you and me with higher tax rates next.

And then it will be you complaining about what you owe the taxman instead.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 02:13:45 pm »
No it's not. 

The government doesn't create jobs or wealth.  They can set the conditions for it so that business owners and citizens in the private sector can make the most of what they have or don't have...but as time and history has proven, the economy can flourish despite the Government's action or in some cases inaction.

And why is that?  Because of the individual, not because of the Government.

You act like any money, any wealth a person or a business has is because of the Government.  That's simply not true.

The government does not create jobs or wealth but they damned sure do have a tremendous affect on those who do with the policies they set!  There is only one reason why our economy isn't booming today and that reason is THEY don't want it to!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 02:15:54 pm »
The government does not create jobs or wealth but they damned sure do have a tremendous affect on those who do with the policies they set!  There is only one reason why our economy isn't booming today and that reason is THEY don't want it to!

I get that....but my point I guess I didn't make clear enough was that it's really the job of the Federal Government to get the hell out of our way and let us create jobs and wealth on our own.  Not to decide the winners and losers and who gets how much.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 02:23:42 pm »
I get that....but my point I guess I didn't make clear enough was that it's really the job of the Federal Government to get the hell out of our way and let us create jobs and wealth on our own.  Not to decide the winners and losers and who gets how much.

NOW your talking but THEY prefer having the ability to engage in social engineering at will! 

- J. R. R. Tolkien