Author Topic: Senate Democrats set conditions for tax reform  (Read 3060 times)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: Senate Democrats set conditions for tax reform
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2017, 12:14:59 pm »
In what way is something that got zero repub votes "bipartisan"?

You're correct - thanks for catching that.   I was thinking of the so-called "Gang of 14" compromise to permit some federal judges to be confirmed, but that was a temporary agreement that expired in 2007.   The rule eliminating the filibuster for judicial nominees other than the SCOTUS was, as you point out,  enacted with no GOP support when the Dems had a slight majority.   Of course, the GOP when it retook the Senate retained the rule and expanded it to allow Gorsuch to be confirmed.

The Dems' move proved to be short-sighted - they figured that Hillary would coast to election and the Dem Senate would be able to ignore the minority with ease.   Now the GOP is faced with the same decision -  eliminate the filibuster rule generally and hope they can retain the majority indefinitely.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2017, 12:15:40 pm »
The Dems' move proved to be short-sighted - they figured that Hillary would coast to election and the Dem Senate would be able to ignore the minority with ease.   Now the GOP is faced with the same decision -  eliminate the filibuster rule generally and hope they can retain the majority indefinitely.
The problem with the filibuster rule or 60 vote threshold is that it no longer encourages bipartisanship, but actually emboldens the minority to delay and oppose for no reason while proposing nothing. Instead, they ought to go back to simple majority rule and open legislation for amendments and open votes. They maybe should limit a Senators speaking time in floor debate to prohibit filibusters. This would allow the Senate to become much more productive
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2017, 02:01:11 pm »
The problem with the filibuster rule or 60 vote threshold is that it no longer encourages bipartisanship, but actually emboldens the minority to delay and oppose for no reason while proposing nothing. Instead, they ought to go back to simple majority rule and open legislation for amendments and open votes. They maybe should limit a Senators speaking time in floor debate to prohibit filibusters. This would allow the Senate to become much more productive

:amen: and should become a footnote in the history books this instant!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien