Author Topic: Senate confirms Gorsuch to Supreme Court, giving Trump big win  (Read 3106 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: Senate confirms Gorsuch to Supreme Court, giving Trump big win
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2017, 07:50:40 pm »
Sorry, but Scalia is a once in a lifetime SC justice.  We lost a bit no matter how well Gorsuch performs.

And I do hope he does not like to hunt in West Texas.

Who do you think was really on the grassy knoll?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2017, 07:52:58 pm »
If I had my druthers Alito would be Chief Justice. 
But then no one asked me.   And there are more Judges to be confirmed in the future.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2017, 07:53:51 pm »
Sorry, but Scalia is a once in a lifetime SC justice.  We lost a bit no matter how well Gorsuch performs.

And I do hope he does not like to hunt in West Texas.

No Justice is a mountain, we're a nation of laws not men...not even Scalia.  That said, he was mighty good.  Not just because he was one out of nine, but because he had a way of persuading others along to his point of view.  I wish Roberts would have listened to him more than he did.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2017, 07:57:13 pm »
If I had my druthers Alito would be Chief Justice. 
But then no one asked me.   And there are more Judges to be confirmed in the future.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.  Getting Gorsuch on the bench just gets us to where we were before Scalia met up with that pillow on the hunting trip.  The next justice to retire (or croak) will probably be one of the older Liberal justices, and I hope Trump seizes the opportunity to shift the SCOTUS to the right with a good pick.  It's nice that Schumer saw fit to force the Nuke Option because it's going to be a whole lot harder to stop whomever it is.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2017, 09:31:17 pm »
Senate confirms Gorsuch to Supreme Court, giving Trump big win
By Alexander Bolton - 04/07/17 11:58 AM EDT

The Senate on Friday confirmed Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court, giving President Trump the biggest victory of his first 100 days in office.

The 54-45 vote caps a bitter political battle that began with the death of Justice Antonin Scalia more than a year ago and resulted in the Senate triggering the so-called “nuclear option” to block the Democrats’ ability to filibuster Gorsuch.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/327797-senate-confirms-gorsuch-to-supreme-court-giving-trump-big-win

Awesome.   Three more to go. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2017, 09:34:26 pm »
If, like me, you like Roberts you will like Gorsuch.

It will be interesting to see if the folks that are calling this a big win will be thinking the same way a year or two down the road.....

I don't hear a lot of love for Roberts by many on the right so all this big win talk a bit puzzling to me  :shrug:

I suspect like sports fans, Trump fans are simply cheering because their side scored...

There are some things I have read about Gorsuch that give me pause,   but they are heavily dwarfed by things I have read about him of which I approve.   

Yes,  he is a bit of an unknown quantity,   but can we not all honestly say he is infinitely better than anyone whom Hillary would have picked?   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2017, 09:57:48 pm »

There are some things I have read about Gorsuch that give me pause,   but they are heavily dwarfed by things I have read about him of which I approve.   

Yes,  he is a bit of an unknown quantity,   but can we not all honestly say he is infinitely better than anyone whom Hillary would have picked?   

I'll take Binary Choices for  $1000, Alex.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2017, 09:59:08 pm »
I agree with this wholeheartedly.  Getting Gorsuch on the bench just gets us to where we were before Scalia met up with that pillow on the hunting trip.  The next justice to retire (or croak) will probably be one of the older Liberal justices, and I hope Trump seizes the opportunity to shift the SCOTUS to the right with a good pick.  It's nice that Schumer saw fit to force the Nuke Option because it's going to be a whole lot harder to stop whomever it is.

Next court nominee will be Cruz. I'll bet on it, any takers? Could do with some free money.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2017, 10:02:15 pm »
+1 for Trump and conservatives.

Not so much for Trump supporters.

:whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2017, 10:06:01 pm »
Next court nominee will be Cruz. I'll bet on it, any takers? Could do with some free money.

Senators who served on SCOTUS

https://www.senate.gov/reference/Supreme_Court.htm

John and Linda might both stroke out.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2017, 10:13:52 pm »
As ump he also believes he should not effect the outcome of the game. The majority passed the ACA and he would not overturn the statute, he told Congress to fix it themselves...

Ha? Roberts re-wrote the Obama Administration's ACA argument, then ruled on his own wording. Thats about as involved as a jurist can get in the outcome of a game.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2017, 10:16:29 pm »

Not now.   Cruz is needed in the Senate. 

He may run for the presidency again, but unless there is a radical shift to true conservatism in this country, Cruz likely will not succeed.  He has too many enemies among the liberal backstabbers in  his own party.

If perhaps Cruz does not make it to the presidency, I would hope we have a smart enough president who will nominate him for SCOTUS.  But looking at our recent past presidents, that may be unlikely.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2017, 10:54:38 pm »
Given that DT promised Napolitano a seat on the Court, I have no confidence in his next choice..NONE

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2017, 10:58:39 pm »
Why are you whining about nothing.  Praising Trump for something good is okay.  In fact, it should be done.

@Emjay

Because the wrong people are trying to take credit for Gorsuch.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2017, 11:04:25 pm »

Never.  Cruz has a far different future in mind.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2017, 11:05:40 pm »
@Emjay

That is a truly idiotic reply.  Congrats.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2017, 11:14:09 pm »
@Emjay

Oh please!   *****rollingeyes*****

He's a helluva lot better than anybody Hillary Clinton would have selected. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2017, 11:17:57 pm »
Given that DT promised Napolitano a seat on the Court, I have no confidence in his next choice..NONE
You seem to be among those most likely to find negativity in almost anything.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2017, 11:23:52 pm »
Never.  Cruz has a far different future in mind.
Supreme Court Justices almost by definition are types of individuals very comfortable to remain out of the limelight

Cruz strikes me as wanting a more publicly prominent role.  Nothing "good" or "bad" about either type of role.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2017, 11:26:27 pm »

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2017, 02:34:04 am »
Way, way more street smarts. Don't expect the thanks.  The #nevertrump obsession "trumps" all else.

Oh, sweetie... it's so cute the way you think.
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2017, 02:35:08 am »
:whistle:

Oh, hon... your devotion to your beliefs is adorable.
1. Trump is never wrong.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2017, 02:35:13 am »

I don't see that happening. He's already stated several times that he doesn't want the position.  My bet is Cruz will seek re-election to the Senate in 2018.  I also bet that Trump will be a one term president.  IF Pence decides to run for POTUS in 2020, he will appoint Cruz as his VP and Cruz will run for POTUS in 2024.  I think its pretty much already been planned out.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2017, 02:37:54 am »
Oh please!   *****rollingeyes*****

He's a helluva lot better than anybody Hillary Clinton would have selected.

Oh @DCPatriot... is so cute the way you misconstrue the message. Conservatives have no problem with Gorsuch, nor would they expect Hillary to appoint anyone remotely as good as Gorsuch.

It's just precious the way you twisted that all up and try to take credit for Gorsuch. Truly precious.
1. Trump is never wrong.