Author Topic: WSJ: President Trump Criticizes Nordstrom for Dropping Daughter’s Fashion Label  (Read 4064 times)

Oceander

President Trump Criticizes Nordstrom for Dropping Daughter’s Fashion Label

Department store decided not to buy Ivanka Trump’s spring collection

By Suzanne Kapner and
Michael Rothfeld
Updated Feb. 8, 2017 6:17 p.m. ET

President Donald Trump criticized the department-store chain Nordstrom Inc. for dropping his daughter Ivanka’s fashion label, a controversial intervention by a president into a business dispute involving his family and a U.S. company.

“My daughter Ivanka has been treated so unfairly by @Nordstrom,” Mr. Trump tweeted on Wednesday. He didn’t elaborate, but a White House spokesman said Mr. Trump believed his daughter was being punished for his policies.

Nordstrom said last week it decided not to buy items from Ms. Trump’s spring collection based on the brand’s performance, not because of politics. “Over the past year, and particularly in the last half of 2016, sales of the brand have steadily declined to the point where it didn’t make good business sense for us to continue with the line for now,” a spokeswoman said Wednesday. “Ivanka was personally informed of our decision in early January.”

Some ethics experts said the tweet highlights pitfalls in Mr. Trump’s approach to navigating potential conflicts of interest involving his family’s business and the presidency. His Twitter messages, which he has operated under @realDonaldTrump, also appear under an official @POTUS account.

“This is misuse of public office for private gains,” said Richard Painter, former chief ethics officer for President George W. Bush. “And it is abuse of power because the official message is clear—Nordstrom is persona non grata with the administration.”

Read more at:  https://www.wsj.com/articles/president-trump-criticizes-nordstrom-for-dropping-ivankas-fashion-label-1486573728?mod=trending_now_4

Oceander

:facepalm2:

Apparently po' widdle Ivanka can't stand up for herself without Daddy's help

Offline libertybele

President Trump of course is entitled to his opinion ... but doesn't he have more pressing issues on his plate?  :shrug:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline montanajoe

Can always depend on Trump to put his and his families business interest before the Country's interests...

What ever happened to that old fashioned notion that a president would put his business interests in a blind trust during his term :whistle:

Oh yeah this is Trump... :shrug:

Oceander

President Trump of course is entitled to his opinion ... but doesn't he have more pressing issues on his plate?  :shrug:

He's not entitled to use the president's bully pulpit to vent his personal displeasure.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Just one more thing we won't be able to criticize democrats for in the future.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I for one am disgusted you all aren't out there buying Ivanka Trump products at Nordstroms. Where is your sense of patriotism?

Oceander

I for one am disgusted you all aren't out there buying Ivanka Trump products at Nordstroms. Where is your sense of patriotism?

:bigsilly:

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Not only is this 'Typical Trump'...but so will the results be...highly effective counter-punch.

Whose Bully Pulpit is bigger?   Nordstom's or the POTUS?

What you guys don't get is this is a typical day for Trump.

You don't think Donald Trump, the Developer, was juggling a dozen projects/goals at once?   The man only sleeps 4-5 hours @ day.

He tweeted this in between morning farts and belches.      :patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cripplecreek

I'll go out and run some overpriced Trump panties up the flagpole right now.  :patriot:

Oceander

Not only is this 'Typical Trump'...but so will the results be...highly effective counter-punch.

Whose Bully Pulpit is bigger?   Nordstom's or the POTUS?

What you guys don't get is this is a typical day for Trump.

You don't think Donald Trump, the Developer, was juggling a dozen projects/goals at once?   The man only sleeps 4-5 hours @ day.

He tweeted this in between morning farts and belches.

/snicker
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 02:10:07 pm by Oceander »

Oceander

I'll go out and run some overpriced Trump panties up the flagpole right now.  :patriot:

Yah.  How dare we criticize the Best President Ever.  We deserve to be punished with Epic Orange Wedgies!

Silver Pines

President Trump Criticizes Nordstrom for Dropping Daughter’s Fashion Label

Department store decided not to buy Ivanka Trump’s spring collection

By Suzanne Kapner and
Michael Rothfeld
Updated Feb. 8, 2017 6:17 p.m. ET

President Donald Trump criticized the department-store chain Nordstrom Inc. for dropping his daughter Ivanka’s fashion label, a controversial intervention by a president into a business dispute involving his family and a U.S. company.

“My daughter Ivanka has been treated so unfairly by @Nordstrom,” Mr. Trump tweeted on Wednesday. He didn’t elaborate, but a White House spokesman said Mr. Trump believed his daughter was being punished for his policies.

Nordstrom said last week it decided not to buy items from Ms. Trump’s spring collection based on the brand’s performance, not because of politics. “Over the past year, and particularly in the last half of 2016, sales of the brand have steadily declined to the point where it didn’t make good business sense for us to continue with the line for now,” a spokeswoman said Wednesday. “Ivanka was personally informed of our decision in early January.”

Some ethics experts said the tweet highlights pitfalls in Mr. Trump’s approach to navigating potential conflicts of interest involving his family’s business and the presidency. His Twitter messages, which he has operated under @realDonaldTrump, also appear under an official @POTUS account.

“This is misuse of public office for private gains,” said Richard Painter, former chief ethics officer for President George W. Bush. “And it is abuse of power because the official message is clear—Nordstrom is persona non grata with the administration.”

Read more at:  https://www.wsj.com/articles/president-trump-criticizes-nordstrom-for-dropping-ivankas-fashion-label-1486573728?mod=trending_now_4

@Oceander

He was twenty minutes into his daily intelligence briefing when he tweeted this petulant nonsense.  He can put down the damned phone and give the country's safety his undivided attention.  Whining about his adult daughter's business dealings can always come later.

Silver Pines

@Cripplecreek

What do you bet that somewhere, Trump loyalists are screeching about putting Nordstrom's out of business, along with its employees?

Seems Nordstrom's stock went up after this----the store's ninth best day in five years.  Good.

Offline Cripplecreek

@Cripplecreek

What do you bet that somewhere, Trump loyalists are screeching about putting Nordstrom's out of business, along with its employees?

Seems Nordstrom's stock went up after this----the store's ninth best day in five years.  Good.

Already seen the call to punish Nordstrom's on twitter. They're justifying it by claiming that Nordstrom's caved into a threat of a boycott if they didn't sell the Trump trash.

Silver Pines

Already seen the call to punish Nordstrom's on twitter. They're justifying it by claiming that Nordstrom's caved into a threat of a boycott if they didn't sell the Trump trash.

While ignoring the company's statement that declining sales were the reason.  No doubt they have the figures to back it up, but that wouldn't matter, either.

• Technical
How would it feel to be a Trump supporter right about now? Imagine having to defend stupid crap like this... and not know what Trump will tweet about tomorrow?

How do you think Trump's press people feel right about now? What is Spicer's blood pressure like?

Hey, he's making progress. He no longer Tweets about SNL.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Remember when Favoritism, Influence Peddling, Cronyism, and Nepotism were dirty words with Conservatives?

Offline jpsb

He's not entitled to use the president's bully pulpit to vent his personal displeasure.

President Truman would disagree with you. Since when is a father not entitled to defend his daughter?

Mr. Hume:

I've just read your lousy review of Margaret's concert. I've come to the conclusion that you are an "eight ulcer man on four ulcer pay."

It seems to me that you are a frustrated old man who wishes he could have been successful. When you write such poppy-cock as was in the back section of the paper you work for it shows conclusively that you're off the beam and at least four of your ulcers are at work.

Some day I hope to meet you. When that happens you'll need a new nose, a lot of beefsteak for black eyes, and perhaps a supporter below!

Pegler, a gutter snipe, is a gentleman alongside you. I hope you'll accept that statement as a worse insult than a reflection on your ancestry.

H.S.T.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
This is dumb. Really, really dumb.

• Technical
President Truman would disagree with you. Since when is a father not entitled to defend his daughter?

Mr. Hume:

I've just read your lousy review of Margaret's concert. I've come to the conclusion that you are an "eight ulcer man on four ulcer pay."

It seems to me that you are a frustrated old man who wishes he could have been successful. When you write such poppy-cock as was in the back section of the paper you work for it shows conclusively that you're off the beam and at least four of your ulcers are at work.

Some day I hope to meet you. When that happens you'll need a new nose, a lot of beefsteak for black eyes, and perhaps a supporter below!

Pegler, a gutter snipe, is a gentleman alongside you. I hope you'll accept that statement as a worse insult than a reflection on your ancestry.

H.S.T.

Yeah I heard limbaugh discussing this yesterday. More whataboutism.

Truman did this once  (AFIAK). Trump's only 3 weeks or so into his presidency.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Mr. Hume:

H.S.T.

He is no longer just a father, he is the President and he is using his office improperly.

According to one section of the Code of Federal Regulations, 'An employee shall not use his public office for his own private gain, for the endorsement of any product, service or enterprise, or for the private gain of friends, relatives, or persons with whom the employee is affiliated in a nongovernmental capacity, including nonprofit organizations of which the is an officer or member, and persons with whom the employee has or seeks employment or business relations.'

Another section dealing with federal employees states that 'an employee shall not use or permit the use of his Government position or title or any authority associated with his public office.'

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/5/2635.702

geronl

It's a business decision, he should know about things like that.

geronl

Since when is a father not entitled to defend his daughter?

His daughter was not attacked.

geronl

Nordstrom's wasn't the only one.

Didn't TJ Maxx also stop selling her stuff?