Author Topic: Republicans rush to build firewall to save the House  (Read 17245 times)

Offline Suppressed

Re: Republicans rush to build firewall to save the House
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2016, 05:51:00 pm »
I'd just like to point out that had people listened to us awful 'purists' that said "elect principled people"...

Sorry, but since there aren't enough conservative votes for that to be principled conservatives, if purists had been listened to, we'd have a house totally composed of Democrats who are firm in their own principles.

I know you'd be fine with that, as it would mean not voting for a less-than-pure Republican, but it's the reality we'd have.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2016, 05:55:29 pm »
90% of a decimated start number? How many people left the party over Trump? Before even? You could have 100% and still not be close to the numbers you need to win.

You have never been able to win with 100% of the base.   You have always had to get a large chunk of the independents to win.   
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2016, 05:56:57 pm »

Haha, the violence promoting loony toons kook known as Diogenes Lamp thinks I live in an echo chamber?

Look at Trump's poll numbers... going down, down, down.

Really?   http://graphics.latimes.com/usc-presidential-poll-dashboard/
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2016, 06:03:43 pm »
Outliers. Trump is losing by nearly every statistic available.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2016, 06:11:19 pm »
Outliers. Trump is losing by nearly every statistic available.

lol... ya, but you are forgetting the 'system' is rigged!   22222frying pan
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline beandog

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2016, 06:22:38 pm »

So how much support does he currently have with the Republican base?   How about you put out a number so we can see if you have any awareness of the real world,  or whether you are locked in an echo chamber of your own mind.
Says the guy who posts at the biggest echo chamber of all, FR.  Down there, no dissent is allowed.  Just like Hell.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2016, 06:26:45 pm »
Sorry, but since there aren't enough conservative votes for that to be principled conservatives, if purists had been listened to, we'd have a house totally composed of Democrats who are firm in their own principles.

I know you'd be fine with that, as it would mean not voting for a less-than-pure Republican, but it's the reality we'd have.

I just looked at the ballot. Guess what I saw? A spot to write in. Thats the reality on my ballot.

Problem solved. There is no excuse.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2016, 06:38:11 pm »
GOP......

YANK EVERY $ FROM TRUMP ASAP!!!!!!

And please please please cancel his Twitter account.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2016, 06:47:14 pm »
Somebody needs to tell Trump that the House needs to be saved - because he is in full "attack the house" mode right now, and so are his supporters.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2016, 06:48:15 pm »
Somebody needs to tell Trump that the House needs to be saved - because he is in full "attack the house" mode right now, and so are his supporters.

Trump hates Paul Ryan, and so do his supporters.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2016, 06:53:33 pm »

@Suppressed

I'm calling BullBush on that one. Remember when actual unashamed conservatives ran for Congress and took control of it for the 1st time in 40 years? Actual conservatives ran on "Small Government" tickets,and won with historic numbers. Some people were even claiming it was the end of the Dim Party. This proves that "if you build it (a actual small government platform) they WILL come."

Then the Country Club Republicans joined forces with their Dim brothers and started talking some of them into switching party labels but not party values,and infiltrating the conservative movement to destroy it from within. And ALL the fools on Fool Republic were hailing all these "New Republicans that were old Dims who have seen the light and found their way as new members of the Republican Party! Sis! Boom! Bah!" Never once occurred to those loons they were being infiltrated and betrayed. Probably still hasn't to most of them because the typical FR poster is as thick as a brick.

The Dim Party has also been VERY successful with convincing the ignorant public that being a conservative" means you are a small-minded viscous Bible-Thumper that wants to outlaw sex,tv,dancing,and anything else that people enjoy,and to bring back Taliban-like tactics to punish people who don't obey. Hell,a lot of the people that were describing themselves as conservatives actually believed that themselves.

When Newt and allies organized the Republican Revolution of 1994 they were successful because they focused on small government and individual freedoms,not punishing non-believers. Believers still had the right (with conservatives in charge a GUARANTEED right to believe) to follow their faiths,so most of them fell into line,also.

Then the mass part changing and betrayals began.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2016, 08:25:02 pm »
I just looked at the ballot. Guess what I saw? A spot to write in. Thats the reality on my ballot.

Agreed.  It could have been done, and there would have been a lot more Dems in office.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2016, 08:33:50 pm »
Agreed.  It could have been done, and there would have been a lot more Dems in office.

Considering Barry got all his big issues I fail to see where that would have resulted in a difference.

The result of those liberal Rs is a 20T debt, unprosecuted officials, abandonment of marriage, Pen and phone legislation with zero penalty... We all bitched about it all through the last 2 years. It happened. Some of us warned about it and called it 100%. They caved across the board.

So beginning the process by voting write in for someone worth it would have set the precedent. This time would be easier. Next time a third party might be a real threat to win. But no. People refused. They refused over and over. And here we are with no hope and no recourse. Because no one would stand on principle and say 'no more'. Everyone wants magic bullets and instawins guaranteed. Not gonna happen. We have to take some pain now for gain later. Thats the way it is. Or we should all shut up, pop in a DVD and get drunk.

We got a couple bones to chew on. The liberals got the meat locker.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2016, 09:37:28 pm »
@Suppressed

I'm calling BullBush on that one. Remember when actual unashamed conservatives ran for Congress and took control of it for the 1st time in 40 years? Actual conservatives ran on "Small Government" tickets,and won with historic numbers.

Yeah,  I was part of it.   Since then about 20 million old school people have died and been replaced by "millenials"  who are simply ignorant and stupid.   

In 1994,  there was still enough of the old school generation which valued ethics,  morality and sound fiscal policy.  Again,  many of them have been replaced by amoral idiots. 

We won't get back that sort of citizen until we fix the education system and fix the media system where ethics and morality are once again valued nationally. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline libertybele

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2016, 09:40:59 pm »

There is also a spot for a write in on my ballot as well.  However, it depends on the rules in your state (access ballotpedia).  In Florida for example, unless the candidate that you write in has qualified/registered as a write in candidate, your vote will NOT count.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2016, 09:43:37 pm »

We won't get back that sort of citizen until we fix the education system and fix the media system where ethics and morality are once again valued nationally.

How do you propose to fix either one when it is the liberals that dominate the education system and control the media?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2016, 10:57:16 pm »

Yeah,  I was part of it.   Since then about 20 million old school people have died    <<

@DiogenesLamp

Sad,but at least party true. No one knows the exact numbers,but I think we would all agree the sum would equal "too many".

>>and been replaced by "millenials"  who are simply ignorant and stupid.<<

Yeah,another "Sad but true" factoid. This is partially our fault for not taking the time to educate the upcoming generations. I am NOT speaking about you or I specifically,but about people of our age group in general.

>>In 1994,  there was still enough of the old school generation which valued ethics,  morality and sound fiscal policy.  Again,  many of them have been replaced by amoral idiots.  <<

Once again,those of us in the Geezer Generation share a part of the blame for that. We had vague memories of how things were SUPPOSED to be when we were growing up,and that gave  us an advantage when things started to go seriously wrong. The under-40 generation of today didn't and don't have that advantage,so it is up to use to explain things to them. If not us,WHO?

>>We won't get back that sort of citizen until we fix the education system and fix the media system where ethics and morality are once again valued nationally. <<

I'm with ya on that one,but a wise man once said,"The longest trip started with the first step". That still applies today,and we need to be taking those steps daily,at every opportunity. I have found that one helpful way to start is to point out how their teachers and the history books have lied to them,and give them just enough information to get them to look it up for themselves so they can "prove me wrong". NOBODY of any age likes being lied to by those he or she trusted,so IMHO that is one of the best methods to use.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2016, 11:03:08 pm »
How do you propose to fix either one when it is the liberals that dominate the education system and control the media?

That is a question that requires a very long answer.   The simple version is attack the existing media.   Attack it with criminal prosecutions,  with legal fines,  lawsuits,  boycotts,  competition and any other method that will cut it's financial throat.    We have to destroy it or it will destroy us. 

There is an old saying:   "Politics is downstream of culture."   Well guess who's been steering the culture for the last 50 years?   

New York   (News)  and Los Angeles (Entertainment)   with a smattering of a few other places thrown in. 

Once you get equal representation for conservatives in the media,  then we can work to elect people who will do something about the Education system.   
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2016, 11:07:00 pm »

@libertybele

You do it by injecting yourself  into the conversations of younger people you don't know when you hear them quoting something you know to be wrong when you hear them talking to each other in public places. For example,when they talk about how evil the white man was to enslave the blacks,tell them that it was the Africans that first enslaved the blacks brought to North and South America,and the first actual slave owner in the Original 13 Colonies was a black man named Johnson that lived in Jamestown and took his indentured servant to court to claim the right to hold him as a slave. Johnson had came here himself as an indentured servant who received a land grant to grow tobacco after working off his debt,and imported the indentured servant he later enslaved.

Then throw in another tidbit about how "Lincoln freed the slaves with the Emancipation Proclamation" is a total lie because the ONLY slaves it "freed" were the ones living in the south that were not under the dominion of the American government at that time. Lincoln didn't free a single slave,and wrote in his diaries that he would be content to leave slavery in place if it would keep the country from separating.  Their jaws will drop and they won't believe you,but all you have to do this days is tell them to do web searches using "Johnson+slavery+Jamestow" and "The Emancipation Proclamation"  as the keywords.

The best education people ever receive is the one they teach themselves from researching the history of issues.

All it takes to open minds is to remove just a few bricks from the wall of indoctrination. 

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2016, 11:25:30 pm »

Yeah,another "Sad but true" factoid. This is partially our fault for not taking the time to educate the upcoming generations. I am NOT speaking about you or I specifically,but about people of our age group in general.

I would like to speak to this point.   I do not think the problem is that simple.   I think the 20th century was  hit with events and circumstances that are unusual in the history of man.   We did not respond to them properly because we did not know how to respond to them properly,  or even realize that certain events were actual threats to our future.

We were never going to be able to fight the propaganda from Television.   Once it took hold,  it produced a steady decline in culture by promulgating a steady stream of fantasy and propaganda disguised as news and entertainment.   It normalized degeneracy and kept people from doing more wholesome things with their families.   

There were other factors as well.   The Unionization of government Employees had far reaching and devastating consequences for the nation.    The Passage of the 24th amendment separated the cost of government from the control of government.   It also created the subsequent crime wave that hit the nation around 1978.   

A lot of the disasters we currently face had their roots in what were regarded as innocuous events and policies at the time they occurred.   

The 19th amendment got FDR elected.   He and Truman appointed two decades worth of liberal crackpot judges to the Federal Bench,  which then proceeded to wreck the structure of society.

The schools do not teach properly because they are not permitted to teach properly,   and now people don't even remember what "properly"  felt like.   

We are being propelled by events which are mostly out of our control and we are lucky if we can steer even a little bit. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2016, 11:30:38 pm »

We are being propelled by events which are mostly out of our control and we are lucky if we can steer even a little bit.

@DiogenesLamp

Yeah,but regardless of how steep that hill is to climb,we MUST try to climb it. None of us can afford to just sit back and home the problem self-corrects because that ain't gonna happen.

If we each as individuals do our best to bring about change by education and still fail,at least we can console ourselves with the knowledge that we tried.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2016, 11:56:26 pm »

That is a question that requires a very long answer.   The simple version is attack the existing media.   Attack it with criminal prosecutions,  with legal fines,  lawsuits,  boycotts,  competition and any other method that will cut it's financial throat.    We have to destroy it or it will destroy us. 

There is an old saying:   "Politics is downstream of culture."   Well guess who's been steering the culture for the last 50 years?   

New York   (News)  and Los Angeles (Entertainment)   with a smattering of a few other places thrown in. 

Once you get equal representation for conservatives in the media,  then we can work to elect people who will do something about the Education system.

The reality of the matter is this; we have elected RINO's who side with the DEMS.  Common Core (liberal brainwashing) is now the foundation of our educational system and liberals own (literally) the MSM ... so I don't see things changing anytime soon.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2016, 12:03:58 am »
@sneakypete , @libertybele , @DiogenesLamp

Great discussion.

There's one other factor that us older types tend to overlook - the globally connected world and the ability and tendency of all of us to stay with what we feel comfortable with.  There are fewer and fewer opportunities to interact with people who have different beliefs and values.  And, most of us tend to shy away from things we don't like. 

I remember sometime back reading about one of those cannibal cases - I think it was some German who was looking for and found someone willing to be the cannibalized.  The article revealed that there were places online where people of that bent could go to find like-minded individuals.  Good God!  Before our successful de-Babelization of the world, someone who thought like that would probably never get beyond a few sick thoughts about it.  They would probably never meet anyone who thought like they did and encouraged them to explore their sickness.  Now, every little niche and narcissistic impulse can be affirmed on the internet.  Heck, one can find people sicker and more warped than you ever imagined possible!

I don't know how you break through that.  TV used to be 3 channels and maybe the local channel.   Pretty easy to get a particular piece of information or disinformation out there. 

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2016, 01:58:31 am »
The reality of the matter is this; we have elected RINO's who side with the DEMS. 

Because the New York Elite controlled media will crucify them if they make too much trouble.   Remember 1994 and 1995?   

Remember the "Gingrich that stole Christmas" Propaganda war?   

Remember the lies the media told about why they were balancing the budget?  Remember how they blamed the Congressional Republicans in 1995 for shutting down the government when Clinton vetoed the Budget Bill,   and remember how they blamed Ronald Reagan for shutting down the government  when Tip O'Neill sent him a bloated budget bill?   

The Republicans in congress during the Clinton years were maligned and socially ostracized,  and the lesson they learned is to never challenge the powers that spend the money and control the media.   They have been pathetic cowards ever since.   

The media gelded them.   

Common Core (liberal brainwashing) is now the foundation of our educational system and liberals own (literally) the MSM ... so I don't see things changing anytime soon.

And I believe the media is Liberal precisely because the Elite and Powerful "Upper classes"  of the Boston/Washington DC corridor want the government to continue spending excessive amounts of money,  from which their own wealth is derived.   

The media is their tool to keep the money spigot in Washington D.C. flowing other people's tax money and borrowed debt into the pockets of that "Harvard, Princeton, Yale,  Cornell,  etc. "  elite class of wealthy movers and shakers who live between Washington and Boston. 

— Lord Melbourne —