Author Topic: Republicans rush to build firewall to save the House  (Read 17252 times)

geronl

Re: Republicans rush to build firewall to save the House
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2016, 02:02:43 am »
I'd just like to point out that had people listened to us awful 'purists' that said "elect principled people", the House and senate would be in no danger at all. Because the voters could trust the people they elected.

The fact that people CANNOT trust the people they elected is exactly the reason the House and Senate are in danger.

So myself and the other evil, vile, know it all, purist scum that were once again correct will be over to the side murmuring "we told you so'.

:thumbsup:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2016, 02:04:05 am »

Because the New York Elite controlled media will crucify them if they make too much trouble.   Remember 1994 and 1995?   

Remember the "Gingrich that stole Christmas" Propaganda war?   

Remember the lies the media told about why they were balancing the budget?  Remember how they blamed the Congressional Republicans in 1995 for shutting down the government when Clinton vetoed the Budget Bill,   and remember how they blamed Ronald Reagan for shutting down the government  when Tip O'Neill sent him a bloated budget bill?   

The Republicans in congress during the Clinton years were maligned and socially ostracized,  and the lesson they learned is to never challenge the powers that spend the money and control the media.   They have been pathetic cowards ever since.   

The media gelded them.   

And I believe the media is Liberal precisely because the Elite and Powerful "Upper classes"  of the Boston/Washington DC corridor want the government to continue spending excessive amounts of money,  from which their own wealth is derived.   

The media is their tool to keep the money spigot in Washington D.C. flowing other people's tax money and borrowed debt into the pockets of that "Harvard, Princeton, Yale,  Cornell,  etc. "  elite class of wealthy movers and shakers who live between Washington and Boston.

:amen: :amen: :amen:
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2016, 02:10:55 am »
@sneakypete , @libertybele , @DiogenesLamp

Great discussion.

There's one other factor that us older types tend to overlook - the globally connected world and the ability and tendency of all of us to stay with what we feel comfortable with.  There are fewer and fewer opportunities to interact with people who have different beliefs and values.  And, most of us tend to shy away from things we don't like. 

I remember sometime back reading about one of those cannibal cases - I think it was some German who was looking for and found someone willing to be the cannibalized.  The article revealed that there were places online where people of that bent could go to find like-minded individuals.  Good God!  Before our successful de-Babelization of the world, someone who thought like that would probably never get beyond a few sick thoughts about it.  They would probably never meet anyone who thought like they did and encouraged them to explore their sickness.  Now, every little niche and narcissistic impulse can be affirmed on the internet.  Heck, one can find people sicker and more warped than you ever imagined possible!

I don't know how you break through that.  TV used to be 3 channels and maybe the local channel.   Pretty easy to get a particular piece of information or disinformation out there.

You are making a point that I attempt to make when I discuss the influence of Television and mass communications.    It spreads decadence and sickness in numerous and sundry ways.   

I recall reading that when Thomas Edison invented movies,  he thought they would be used for wonderful and educational purposes.   They quickly turned to the sleazy decadence of the "Roaring 20s."   When Philo Farnsworth invented Television,  he too thought it would be a great and wonderful  educational device.    It took a little longer,  but it eventually became "That vast Wasteland"  that Newton Minow called it in the 1960s.   

The sickness of big city depravity soon became spread all across the nation and eventually all across the Western world.   We could watch dystopia every evening on the television screen,  and because people could see it every day,  they eventually regarded the abnormal as normal.   

Even if Television (and now Computer screens)  were not completely under Liberal control,   I think over time they would eventually become so, because a form of instant gratification is inherent in their usage.   

To many people,  television is more interesting than real life,  and as a result it steals real life from people. 

This is part of what we have to fight.   Also,  fake lives on television affect real opinions in reality.   People literally emulate the nonsense they see on television. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2016, 02:49:46 am »

You are making a point that I attempt to make when I discuss the influence of Television and mass communications.    It spreads decadence and sickness in numerous and sundry ways.   

I recall reading that when Thomas Edison invented movies,  he thought they would be used for wonderful and educational purposes.   They quickly turned to the sleazy decadence of the "Roaring 20s."   When Philo Farnsworth invented Television,  he too thought it would be a great and wonderful  educational device.    It took a little longer,  but it eventually became "That vast Wasteland"  that Newton Minow called it in the 1960s.   

The sickness of big city depravity soon became spread all across the nation and eventually all across the Western world.   We could watch dystopia every evening on the television screen,  and because people could see it every day,  they eventually regarded the abnormal as normal.   

Even if Television (and now Computer screens)  were not completely under Liberal control,   I think over time they would eventually become so, because a form of instant gratification is inherent in their usage.   

To many people,  television is more interesting than real life,  and as a result it steals real life from people. 

This is part of what we have to fight.   Also,  fake lives on television affect real opinions in reality.   People literally emulate the nonsense they see on television.

@DiogenesLamp

Let's be clear,here. Are you calling for official censorship over the media by the government?

« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 02:52:02 am by sneakypete »

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2016, 03:10:50 am »
@DiogenesLamp

Let's be clear,here. Are you calling for official censorship over the media by the government?

That is what we effectively have now.   Regarding television,  I don't know of any way to put that genie back in the bottle.   

The only suggestion I have offered is to amend the constitution to create a board of governors elected by the people to  control the staffing of national networks.   

I figure if most of the nation votes Republican,  then most of the elected Governors will be Republican,  and the one party control of the media system will be broken.   

It's hard to force a Liberal bias on a network that employs half or more conservatives.   

A lot of people strenuously objected to that Idea,  and I've asked for other ideas,  but most people simply refuse to concede that one party control of the media is a serious problem that needs to be dealt with. 

It is.  One way or the other we need to get a voice of at least equal status on the Information delivery systems of this nation.   96% Liberal is killing us. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

geronl

« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2016, 04:24:37 am »
@DiogenesLamp

government control would make it worse

geronl

« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2016, 04:25:39 am »
The only suggestion I have offered is to amend the constitution to create a board of governors elected by the people to  control the staffing of national networks.   

Simply insane

HonestJohn

« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2016, 04:48:58 am »

@DiogenesLamp has a thing for this.  I've asked the same thing as @sneakypete and gotten the same response.

Your response to it was the same as mine.

And he finds that insane.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,229007.msg1089544.html#msg1089544

(and following posts)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2016, 08:20:44 am »

That is what we effectively have now.   Regarding television,  I don't know of any way to put that genie back in the bottle.   

I figure if most of the nation votes Republican,  then most of the elected Governors will be Republican,  and the one party control of the media system will be broken.   

It's hard to force a Liberal bias on a network that employs half or more conservatives.   

A lot of people strenuously objected to that Idea,  and I've asked for other ideas,  but most people simply refuse to concede that one party control of the media is a serious problem that needs to be dealt with. 

It is.  One way or the other we need to get a voice of at least equal status on the Information delivery systems of this nation.   96% Liberal is killing us.

We have that with the BBC. It doesn't work terribly well.  :shrug:

The vast majority of media workers are left leaning. Even in an ostensibly impartial media organisation (and, to be fair, the BBC does try) those biases come through in a lot of subtle ways.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2016, 11:47:57 am »

One way or the other we need to get a voice of at least equal status on the Information delivery systems of this nation.   96% Liberal is killing us.

And even worse, 100% of the POTUS candidates are liberal
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2016, 01:01:40 pm »
-

What we have now is control by the party of government.    What we have now is exactly what you claim would be "worse."   

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2016, 01:02:40 pm »
Simply insane

It is insane to let the information delivery systems operate with 96% Liberal Democrats.   *THAT*  is what is insane. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2016, 01:06:47 pm »
We have that with the BBC. It doesn't work terribly well.  :shrug:

The vast majority of media workers are left leaning. Even in an ostensibly impartial media organisation (and, to be fair, the BBC does try) those biases come through in a lot of subtle ways.

The BBC has a board of governors elected by the people?   Wikipedia says they are appointed,  and that won't work because it won't represent the demographics of the people at large.   

They have no fear of losing their positions,  and therefore no incentive to buck the existing system,  which badly needs to be bucked. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2016, 01:09:01 pm »

The BBC has a board of governors elected by the people?   Wikipedia says they are appointed,  and that won't work because it won't represent the demographics of the people at large.   

They have no fear of losing their positions,  and therefore no incentive to buck the existing system,  which badly needs to be bucked.

They are appointed by parliament.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2016, 01:09:14 pm »
And even worse, 100% of the POTUS candidates are liberal

You are putting the cart before the horse.   The reason the candidates are Liberal is because the media skews coverage to support liberalism.   

Over the years the media has moved the "Overton Window"  where policies and ideologies which were once considered insane are now "mainstream." 
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2016, 01:14:37 pm »

It is insane to let the information delivery systems operate with 96% Liberal Democrats.   *THAT*  is what is insane.

Yep.  Just what we need.  Even more government control.  Empower even more liberal bureaucrats with the authority to dictate what we can say or do.  That ought to do the trick.

The obvious solution here is to grow some balls and defund NPR for starters.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Oceander

« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2016, 01:16:28 pm »
Yep.  Just what we need.  Even more government control.  Empower even more liberal bureaucrats with the authority to dictate what we can say or do.  That ought to do the trick.

The obvious solution here is to grow some balls and defund NPR for starters.

How do you plan to defund NPR, particularly in the face of a near-certain veto by President Clinton?

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2016, 01:21:00 pm »
How do you plan to defund NPR, particularly in the face of a near-certain veto by President Clinton?

Simple.  You omit funding from any spending bill.  Same with Planned Parenthood.  These things only get funded because Republicans vote in favor of funding.

If Hillary wants to veto the budget, then let her.  After two weeks, people will realize that it doesn't matter.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Oceander

« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2016, 01:23:00 pm »
Simple.  You omit funding from any spending bill.  Same with Planned Parenthood.  These things only get funded because Republicans vote in favor of funding.

If Hillary wants to veto the budget, then let her.  After two weeks, people will realize that it doesn't matter.

Yeah, that defunding thing worked real well the last time around.  It ain't gonna happen because President Clinton will do exactly what Obama did:  ostentatiously close down the parks and everything else where the average Jane or Joe interacts with the government, and will blame it on the GOP.  You really have a political death wish, don't you?

This might have had a chance of happening if the next president were a republican, but the Trumpists pretty much screwed that to a fair-thee-well.  You'll just have to wait at least 4 more years and hope the Trumpists aren't allowed to vote in primaries next time.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 01:24:06 pm by Oceander »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2016, 01:27:49 pm »
Yeah, that defunding thing worked real well the last time around.  It ain't gonna happen because President Clinton will do exactly what Obama did:  ostentatiously close down the parks and everything else where the average Jane or Joe interacts with the government, and will blame it on the GOP.  You really have a political death wish, don't you?

This might have had a chance of happening if the next president were a republican, but the Trumpists pretty much screwed that to a fair-thee-well.  You'll just have to wait at least 4 more years and hope the Trumpists aren't allowed to vote in primaries next time.

Let her do that!  Let's just see what REALLY happens rather than spouting leftist propaganda!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2016, 01:30:35 pm »

What defunding thing?  Republicans, forever stuck in their Beltway mentality, capitulated as always, totally oblivious to the fact that the overwhelming majority of Americans have grown cynical and don't care.

Political death wish?  Republicans maintained control of both houses of Congress in the aftermath.

The people want leaders with balls.  Obama showed some.  The Republican Congress didn't.  If Republicans ever decided to show some, we could end the current slavery state.

Defunding NPR and Planned Parenthood is a win-win for Conservatives.  It forces Democrats to expend political capital to defend programs that are unpopular with a majority of Americans.  And the shutdown will showcase that the 'sky-is-falling' message the Democrats have been feeding us for decades is all BS.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2016, 02:07:24 pm »

That is what we effectively have now. <<

>> Regarding television,  I don't know of any way to put that genie back in the bottle.  <<

Entertainment shows are entertainment,so we,the people,control that by boycotts. If we can't be bothered to do that,we deserve what we get.

Beyond that I am tired of hearing people whine about how their children are being taught false history and to accept Globalist/communist fascism as the wave of the future. They are YOUR damn kids,so the primary responsibility for informing them of truths is YOUR responsibility. If you can't be bothered to educate your own children,I don't want to hear you whining about how some group of multi-billionaires is influencing them and their opinions.  THIS is the conservative approach. It's called accepting responsibility for your own actions and the actions and thoughts of your minor children.

>>The only suggestion I have offered is to amend the constitution to create a board of governors elected by the people to  control the staffing of national networks.  <<

Oh,yeah! Every other board created by our political masters is failing at everything BUT destroying America,but THIS one is going to be different,huh? The government are NOT our daddies and mommies,and they are NOT our children's babysitters. Ruling by appointed and even elected committee IS the heart and soul of fascism.

ANYTIME ANYONE comes up with a suggestion that requires amending the US Constitution they are on the wrong track for solutions,and need to come up with new suggestions.

Besides,it's not like our government pays any attention to Constitutional limitations on government power NOW,so why would they do so for future amendments the ruling class doesn't like?

What we need is MORE allegiance to the Constitution,not more amendments that allows government to ignore limits to their authority.

>>I figure if most of the nation votes Republican,  then most of the elected Governors will be Republican,  and the one party control of the media system will be broken.  <<

Uhhhh.....,uhhh......h,uhhhhhh.......

Yeah,if only we had more Bushes and McLunatics in the WH,the Senate,and in Congress,huh?

>>It's hard to force a Liberal bias on a network that employs half or more conservatives.   <<

I don't want to burst your bubble,but teebee and radio networks,blogs,and print media AIN'T government organizations.

>>A lot of people strenuously objected to that Idea,  and I've asked for other ideas,  but most people simply refuse to concede that one party control of the media is a serious problem that needs to be dealt with. <<

First of all,you have the cart before the horse. The government doesn't control the media. The media is owned and controlled by the people that are now in control of the government. Giving the government even MORE power and the legal responsibility to ignore the Constitution is NOT the way to go about fixing that problem.

Your suggestion is akin to shooting yourself in the head to counter a drug overdose. Nothing more than a fast lane to a destination you don't want to arrive at.

>>It is.  One way or the other we need to get a voice of at least equal status on the Information delivery systems of this nation.   96% Liberal is killing us. <<

Creating a People's Police State is NOT an effective counter to a Fascist Police State. Either way the people end up living in a police state. The ONLY effective way to prevent America from becoming a police state is to allow NO amendments to the Constitution and for we,the people,to DEMAND that our EMPLOYEES that we elect to office do all their governing on a Constitutional basis. One WITHOUT amendments.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2016, 02:08:40 pm »

@geronl
 :amen: :amen: :amen:

If anything it would grant official approval over the corruption and illegalities.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 02:09:29 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2016, 02:10:29 pm »
Simply insane

@geronl

Government by committee. Why not? Look at how well that worked for the Soviets!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2016, 02:13:02 pm »
-

What we have now is control by the party of government.    What we have now is exactly what you claim would be "worse."

@DiogenesLamp

What you are suggesting is "more of the same with Supreme Court approval",which could only result in more of what you are upset about.

How is it that you can not see something this obvious?