Author Topic: Cruz expected to endorse Trump: report  (Read 17908 times)

Offline Norm Lenhart

Re: Cruz expected to endorse Trump: report
« Reply #125 on: September 23, 2016, 11:26:54 pm »
@RAT Patrol

Actually it's kind of freeing, because after all, if Cruz will change, who won't? 

Me for one.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #126 on: September 23, 2016, 11:30:00 pm »
@aligncare

#NeverTrump forever, baby.

Don't you have a massage to give or something?

Some necks to crack.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2016, 11:32:34 pm »
@INVAR 
@RAT Patrol
@CatherineofAragon
@Norm Lenhart 
@Ghost Bear
@jmyrlefuller

I'm where y'all are on this. It's heartbreaking to learn that Cruz is just another politician. As @bolobaby said, “There’s no one left in Washington to trust.”

Color me jaded.

------------------------------

@mystery-ak
1. I vote that you add that surprised look emoticon to our options. It's great.
2. I need help on how to put someone on ignore. There's a certain feline who brings NOTHING to any conversation, and because my time is important, I'd like to remove those posts from my screen.
3. I'm sad to say that I haven't given a rat's toches about who wins this election for a very long time. I know the nation's going down for the count; I'm just not willing to participate in its demise.  8888crybaby

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Silver Pines

« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2016, 11:34:23 pm »
Me for one.

@Norm Lenhart

You'd best be getting on some ballots, lol.

Silver Pines

« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2016, 11:35:08 pm »

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2016, 11:35:52 pm »
@Ghost Bear

Here's what I don't get.  In his statement he mentioned the "pledge" he took to support the nominee.  I'll pass over the fact that he pledged his loyalty to his wife over everyone else when he married her, and he said he couldn't support anyone who attacked her, but okay. 

He doubtless had his pledge in mind when he made his convention speech, so what was it all about?  Why didn't he just endorse Trump then?

My opinion only: When he thought Trump couldn't win, he felt he could stay detached from the race and then play "I told you so!" after the Hillary win. Now that Hillary appears to be collapsing (literally and figuratively), he thinks that he can jump on the bandwagon and play either "I saved the party!" after a Trump win, or "I did my best to save it!" after a Trump loss (and simultaneously avoid blame if the loss is close.)

Personal political calculation over all, that's the only way I see to reconcile his past statements with his endorsement today.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 11:37:45 pm by Ghost Bear »
Let it burn.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2016, 11:36:25 pm »
@INVAR 
@RAT Patrol
@CatherineofAragon
@Norm Lenhart 
@Ghost Bear
@jmyrlefuller

I'm where y'all are on this. It's heartbreaking to learn that Cruz is just another politician. As @bolobaby said, “There’s no one left in Washington to trust.”

Color me jaded.

Never underestimate the ability of your fellow 'American' to sell out to liberalism. Most are wholly co-opted by the left. Just stand on your principles and leave the libs to the hell they created. they'll regret it soon enough when Trump sells them out as well after the election.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2016, 11:38:59 pm »
@Norm Lenhart

You'd best be getting on some ballots, lol.

Not my yob mang. I have no desire to step into the mess liberal idiots created. I think we pretty well established that after a near perfect record of prediction over the last several years, no one listened to me anyway no matter how many times i was proven right. they wouldn't listen if i got elected either.

Offline Longmire

« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2016, 11:44:47 pm »
Gee same day Heidi returns to work at GS.....Cruz endorses Trump. Best election evah!

Wait.......anyone seen Beck after this? I hope his family is checking up on him.

@flowers  :beer:

Silver Pines

« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2016, 11:47:32 pm »
My opinion only: When he thought Trump couldn't win, he felt he could stay detached from the race and then play "I told you so!" after the Hillary win. Now that Hillary appears to be collapsing (literally and figuratively), he thinks that he can jump on the bandwagon and play either "I saved the party!" after a Trump win, or "I did my best to save it!" after a Trump loss (and simultaneously avoid blame if the loss is close.)

Personal political calculation over all, that's the only way I see to reconcile his past statements with his endorsement today.

@Ghost Bear

Interesting take on it.  I don't know what to think. 

Offline Longmire

« Reply #135 on: September 23, 2016, 11:50:30 pm »
Meanwhile, back at the gaming table, the dominoes keep falling, one, after the other, after the other, after the other...

@aligncare  :smokin:

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #137 on: September 24, 2016, 12:00:11 am »
Never underestimate the ability of your fellow 'American' to sell out to liberalism. Most are wholly co-opted by the left. Just stand on your principles and leave the libs to the hell they created. they'll regret it soon enough when Trump sells them out as well after the election.

Yep. There are several folks who are doing a "I-told-you-so" victory dance, but you know what...?

I'm actually not surprised in the end. Sure, I was holding out hope that Cruz might have the strength and courage to hold out, but every member of the GOP has already betrayed me at some point or another. In retrospect, why would Cruz be different?

The core difference here - of course - is that Cruz seldom betrays me (although this is a biggie). Whereas The (D)onald has spent practically his whole life working for the opposition or its causes.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #138 on: September 24, 2016, 12:10:40 am »
Yep. There are several folks who are doing a "I-told-you-so" victory dance, but you know what...?

I'm actually not surprised in the end. Sure, I was holding out hope that Cruz might have the strength and courage to hold out, but every member of the GOP has already betrayed me at some point or another. In retrospect, why would Cruz be different?

The core difference here - of course - is that Cruz seldom betrays me (although this is a biggie). Whereas The (D)onald has spent practically his whole life working for the opposition or its causes.

They can 'I told you so' all they want. There is not a single day i wake up, look myself in the mirror and have to lie to myself about what i believe in...or debate what i believe in with my conscience.

i can look my daughter in the face and know that in her mind, she is sure her father isn't a complete sham. The sellout crowd can't do that. they'll never be able to do that. Because when the chips were down, they took the left fork in the road. Not the 'right' one. figuratively or literally.

They can bitch about the above all they like. they arent any more important on my list of cares than pond scum.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #139 on: September 24, 2016, 12:12:57 am »
@RAT Patrol

I'm the first one to admit I really believed Cruz was different.  Now for some, that might throw them into paroxysms of delighted gloating, but I couldn't care less about that.  I won't lie just to appear cool and disinterested;  Trumpers can think whatever they want.  It's immaterial.  But Cruz was the first and only candidate my husband and I ever donated money to. 

Cruz has really messed himself up here.  I've been looking around on twitter, and his supporters are angry, and rightfully so.  One of them mentioned the hours he put in going door to door, and for what---so that Cruz could turn into just another run of the mill disingenuous politician.  I'm mad, too.  I want my money back.  I could pretend and say, oh yeah, I disagree with him but he's still a good guy.  No, that isn't how I feel.  Either he played completely into the caricature of calculating self-interest, or it was always true.  I don't know which is true. 

A few weeks ago he was asked why he didn't endorse Trump and he said, "I'm not a servile puppy."  Well....this was a total beta move.

If he won't defend his wife and father, I can't trust him to stand up for me.

RAT, just so you know, I'm not yelling at you, lol....I'm just ranting.
To tell the truth, I've always had my suspicions about Cruz. For one, I have a few maxims in life and one of them is "never trust anyone or anything from Harvard." Cruz was a Harvard graduate. He seemed to defy most stereotypes and conventions. His stand against Obamacare was the gutsiest thing I've ever seen a sitting government official do. Through it all, he seemed to actually hold the values he preached.

I can't help thinking that this was coerced—the Pence meeting out of nowhere, the sudden return of Heidi to Goldman Sachs, and the endorsement after holding out as long as he did all point to something much more than coincidence. I truly believe he didn't want to endorse Donald Trump.

That's what angers me about this all. All of this looks just like the trading favors that Donald Trump has openly bragged about doing ever since he entered this race. It's the same garbage that led Trump to donate to the Clinton Foundation, and it's exactly what's wrong with politics today. It's a shame Cruz felt he was in a position where he had to make that endorsement. He wouldn't have done so with a typed response on Facebook if he meant it—after all, press conferences and cameras are pretty easy to set up.

Will I hold a grudge against Cruz? I'm not sure, but it looks bad to cave like this after making a career of NOT caving in the face of this kind of pressure.

I'm still not going to vote for Trump, and antics like this make me even LESS likely to do so.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 12:13:46 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #140 on: September 24, 2016, 12:18:39 am »
I'm with these guys:    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Donald_Trump_presidential_campaign_endorsements,_2016

"Virgil Goode,* VA (1997–2009)[212]"

Virgil Goode, he was the Constitution Party candidate last time; I hope they can pull Virginia up somehow.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #141 on: September 24, 2016, 12:18:56 am »
@Suppressed

I have.  What makes you think otherwise?

@CatherineofAragon

You spoke of what his opponents could do ("they'll say he isn't a man who keeps his word"), but I think that his statement belies that.  Further, his first reason given for doing this was to keep his word to support the nominee.

I don't agree with his actions, but he was acting on principle.  Rolling the dice that the Deceitful Donny will let some honor slip into his behavior vs going with Hillary was something he has chosen to do...and I think it was out of principle, just like those who are reluctant Trump voters here.

My conscience guides me differently, but I don't hold this against him.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #142 on: September 24, 2016, 12:19:48 am »
To tell the truth, I've always had my suspicions about Cruz. For one, I have a few maxims in life and one of them is "never trust anyone or anything from Harvard." Cruz was a Harvard graduate. He seemed to defy most stereotypes and conventions. His stand against Obamacare was the gutsiest thing I've ever seen a sitting government official do. Through it all, he seemed to actually hold the values he preached.

I can't help thinking that this was coerced—the Pence meeting out of nowhere, the sudden return of Heidi to Goldman Sachs, and the endorsement after holding out as long as he did all point to something much more than coincidence. I truly believe he didn't want to endorse Donald Trump.

That's what angers me about this all. All of this looks just like the trading favors that Donald Trump has openly bragged about doing ever since he entered this race. It's the same garbage that led Trump to donate to the Clinton Foundation, and it's exactly what's wrong with politics today. It's a shame Cruz felt he was in a position where he had to make that endorsement. He wouldn't have done so with a typed response on Facebook if he meant it—after all, press conferences and cameras are pretty easy to set up.

Will I hold a grudge against Cruz? I'm not sure, but it looks bad to cave like this after making a career of NOT caving in the face of this kind of pressure.

I'm still not going to vote for Trump, and antics like this make me even LESS likely to do so.

And everything you describe is what it looks like in the aftermath of a post-Constitutional velvet coup where the new order is being entrenched.

Trump just adds the superstructure onto the foundations the Democrats and Obama have laid over the bedrock of what was once a republic.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #143 on: September 24, 2016, 12:32:09 am »
And everything you describe is what it looks like in the aftermath of a post-Constitutional velvet coup where the new order is being entrenched.

Trump just adds the superstructure onto the foundations the Democrats and Obama have laid over the bedrock of what was once a republic.

Invar, if you ever make it down near Bullhead City on the Colorado River in AZ, remind me to buy you a beer. We may be about the only two people left in the western hemisphere that can see the forest for the trees.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #144 on: September 24, 2016, 12:42:55 am »
@aligncare

Don't you have a massage to give or something?

Hey @CatherineofAragon since you're so into ridiculing a profession you obviously know nothing about .... why not tell us how you spend your time....after the critical "paper or plastic?" question.  Don't hesitate to tell us everything dear, we won't ridicule you.   :smokin:

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #145 on: September 24, 2016, 12:45:16 am »
Hey @CatherineofAragon since you're so into ridiculing a profession you obviously know nothing about .... why not tell us how you spend your time....after the critical "paper or plastic?" question.  Don't hesitate to tell us everything dear, we won't ridicule you.   :smokin:

Must be 'Golden toilet syndrome" on your part. or do you fEeeEEeeEL that gainful employment of any kind is just another thing to scorn?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #146 on: September 24, 2016, 12:53:19 am »
This saddens me greatly.....

As a Christian first I don't understand Ted's thinking..

As a Texan, I'll still support our senator, but I'm very disappointed.

I do understand his thinking here about the court.  He has strong ties to the court and he sees the danger to our country if the court falls....as if it hasn't fallen enough already.  I understand his thinking, but sadly I don't agree with him.   8888crybaby

Darn, I just ran out of crying towels.

Some here have suggested that I take a more conciliatory tone. Sorry. Just not up to that right now. Get back to me in, oh, about a year.

#NeverTrump: #NeverRight

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #147 on: September 24, 2016, 12:59:53 am »

Thanks to you and all of the other Trumpists on this board for reminding me yet again just why I'll never support Trump.  **nononono*
Let it burn.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #148 on: September 24, 2016, 01:03:07 am »
Darn, I just ran out of crying towels.

Some here have suggested that I take a more conciliatory tone. Sorry. Just not up to that right now. Get back to me in, oh, about a year.

#NeverTrump: #NeverRight

You shouldn't be conciliatory. You should stand up for your principles and mock the hell out of us.

Oh hell, you are now SURE to abandon them and be nice.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #149 on: September 24, 2016, 01:08:38 am »
Take that back right this instant.

As a man with over a decade in the grocery business, that was uncalled for.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024