Author Topic: Bob Dole Warns of ‘Cataclysmic’ Losses With Ted Cruz, and Says Donald Trump Would Do Better  (Read 7512 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2016/01/20/bob-dole-warns-of-cataclysmic-losses-with-ted-cruz-and-says-donald-trump-would-do-better/?_r=0

3:34 pm ET By Maggie Haberman

Bob Dole Warns of ‘Cataclysmic’ Losses With Ted Cruz, and Says Donald Trump Would Do Better

Bob Dole, the former Kansas senator and 1996 Republican presidential nominee, has never been fond of Senator Ted Cruz of Texas. But in an interview Wednesday, Mr. Dole said that the party would suffer “cataclysmic” and “wholesale losses” if Mr. Cruz was the nominee, and that Donald J. Trump would fare better.

“I question his allegiance to the party,” Mr. Dole said of Mr. Cruz. “I don’t know how often you’ve heard him say the word ‘Republican’ — not very often.” Instead, Mr. Cruz uses the word “conservative,” Mr. Dole said, before offering up a different word for Mr. Cruz: “extremist.”

“I don’t know how he’s going to deal with Congress,” he said. “Nobody likes him.”

But Mr. Dole said he thought Mr. Trump could “probably work with Congress, because he’s, you know, he’s got the right personality and he’s kind of a deal-maker.”

The remarks by Mr. Dole reflect wider unease with Mr. Cruz among members of the Republican establishment, but few leading members of the party have been as candid and cutting.

“If he’s the nominee, we’re going to have wholesale losses in Congress and state offices and governors and legislatures,” said Mr. Dole, who served in the House and Senate for 35 years and won the Iowa caucuses twice. He described Mr. Cruz as having falsely “convinced the Iowa voters that he’s kind of a mainstream conservative.”

The only person who could stop Mr. Cruz from capturing the nomination? “I think it’s Trump,” Mr. Dole said, adding that Mr. Trump was “gaining a little.”

He said he had met Mr. Trump only once, 30 years ago. “But he has toned down his rhetoric,” he added. As for Mr. Cruz, he said: “There’ll be wholesale losses if he’s the nominee. Our party is not that far right.”

Mr. Dole repeatedly said he was strongly supporting Jeb Bush, the former governor of Florida, although he acknowledged that Mr. Bush has had trouble gaining traction.

“He needs to break out, and he hasn’t done it yet,” said Mr. Dole. But he was openly concerned that Mr. Cruz would win the presidential nomination but then lose the Senate for the Republicans in the process.

The animosity between the two men began after Mr. Cruz invoked Mr. Dole’s name as an example of the missteps the party had made with past presidential nominees — as in, “Remember President Dole? Remember President McCain? Remember President Romney?”

“In other words, we weren’t right-wing like he is, and I didn’t like that very much,” Mr. Dole said in the interview. “It kind of hurt, because we worked hard, we did the best we could. We are conservatives, we are traditional Republican conservatives. And then, of course, he doesn’t have any friends in Congress. He called the leader of the Republicans a liar on the Senate floor.”

“If you want to call somebody a liar in the Senate, you go to their office — you don’t go on the Senate floor and make it public,” Mr. Dole said.

He described Mr. Bush as well qualified to be president, but he also described Senator Marco Rubio and Gov. Chris Christie warmly. Mr. Bush, he said, “doesn’t scream and yell in the debates, so I guess that’s a minus, but he’s a decent, honest guy who’s had experience, and he’s dealt with a legislature.”

“He’s got a lot of friends in this town, and in the Congress,” Mr. Dole said.

Mr. Dole added that he thought it would be harder for Hillary Clinton to defeat Mr. Trump in a general election than Mr. Cruz.

“I think she’d be a pretty easy target in the general, if we nominate the right person,” Mr. Dole said. Was Mr. Cruz in that category, just in case there was any doubt? “No, he’s not that person,” said Mr. Dole. “If he does it, I think she’ll win in a waltz.”

Mr. Dole’s comments came a day after the governor of Iowa, Terry E. Branstad, said in an interview that Mr. Cruz’s opposition to federal ethanol mandates would erode his lead in polls heading into the state’s caucuses on Feb. 1.

Mr. Dole is one of the most prominent members of the Republican “establishment,” a term he described as meaningless. “Cruz is in the Senate, so maybe he’s part of the establishment. You know, I’ve never really known what the establishment was.”

He sounded a sorrowful note about how difficult a time people like Mr. Bush have had in an election cycle dominated by voter anger.

“Experience is important,” Mr. Dole said. “That’s the one thing that the voters don’t seem to care about this cycle, and I don’t know – there’s no substitute for experience.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

Just what I was waiting with baited breath to hear.......Bob Dole and his opinion.   :chairbang:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 09:42:47 pm by flowers »

HAPPY2BME

For perhaps the third or fourth time in his life, Bob Dole is right.

HAPPY2BME

Just what I was waiting with baited breath to hear.......Bob Dole and his opinion.   :chairbang:

=================================

Would you believe it if Mitt Romney said it?

Offline flowers

=================================

Would you believe it if Mitt Romney said it?
None of the GOPe.....I listen to nothing they have to say anymore. If they told me grass was green I would go outside to make sure.  :smokin:

Offline Longiron

Who cares what DOLE has to say. He was just another Conservative Republican POLITICAN at election time. :chairbang:

Offline Carling

Trump haranguing Cruz yesterday for not playing nice with the GOPe Senare leadership, establishment GOPe types are warming to Trump ... Looks like a deal has been made.

It would be interesting to see how much Trump starts sounding like a Dole, McCain, or Romney in a general election.  He's already softening his message at all other GOP candidates other than Cruz.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Longiron

Trump haranguing Cruz yesterday for not playing nice with the GOPe Senare leadership, establishment GOPe types are warming to Trump ... Looks like a deal has been made.

It would be interesting to see how much Trump starts sounding like a Dole, McCain, or Romney in a general election.  He's already softening his message at all other GOP candidates other than Cruz.

They are warming BUT they do not own him. He is the only one they cannot control including CRUZ. Interesting to see them kiss up when they are use to be kissed up to! Typical business move and trying to cut the future losses they know that are coming. If most were in their shoes they would do the same thing and they have to deal with SP. PRICELESS. Just watch and enjoy because their money means nothing to TRUMP. :patriot:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
“If you want to call somebody a liar in the Senate, you go to their office — you don’t go on the Senate floor and make it public,” Mr. Dole said.

Wonderful point, lost on "internet forum" conservatives, who like the flash-bang of insults, but haven't the first clue about gaining results in politics.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Right_in_Virginia

To think I used to respect Bob Dole.  What a jerk.

Just an FYI ... it IS possible to respect someone and disagree with them. 

Offline Right_in_Virginia

He sounded a sorrowful note about how difficult a time people like Mr. Bush have had in an election cycle dominated by voter anger.

Nice try there, Bob.  But Jeb would need to lose the "Bush" regardless of the election year.  And he'd still need a personality.

Offline Carling

Wonderful point, lost on "internet forum" conservatives, who like the flash-bang of insults, but haven't the first clue about gaining results in politics.

Yes, the Bob Dole way of statesmanship has worked wonders.  Things are great!   :silly:

Offline Carling

Nice try there, Bob.  But Jeb would need to lose the "Bush" regardless of the election year.  And he'd still need a personality.

Yes, little Jebbie is the poor establishment sap who after two decades of nonsense from the GOPe gets the brunt of the pent-up anger of voters sick of being lied to and of the GOP being Dem Lite.

Boo Hoo, Bob.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
Hey, he spoke in first person at least 3 times that I counted in that interview.  That's progress.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Bob Dole is the world's leading authority on cataclysmic defeats isn't he?

After all he orchestrated one of the biggest ones ever!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Carling

That was only my second election in which I was eligible to vote.

This is my memory of Dole's campaign.  I felt bad for him, but what a terrible and uninspiring candidate for a guy in his early 20s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWib8GbrIlA

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Damn, another endorsement by a Conservative, anti-Establishment, Outsid..... Oh wait..

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
If anybody is an expert on cataclysmic losses it would be Bob and Giddy Dolt.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

HAPPY2BME

None of the GOPe.....I listen to nothing they have to say anymore. If they told me grass was green I would go outside to make sure.  :smokin:

===========================

I wouldn't have to go outside to check, I would just know (from almost 50 years of testing these waters).

But if I did go outside to check, chances are really good the grass would be artificial.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
If it is personal business, yes.  If it is the people's business, no.  Whatever happened to open, transparent government?  Debate happens in the Senate and if someone lied about something then it should be brought out.

Trump is the king of insults.  He compared sweet Ben Carson to a child molester.  He insulted Scalia.  Frankly, who has he NOT insulted.  To waggle the finger at Cruz for standing up to the GOPe and their "campaign one way but govern another" ways when you are a self-serving insulter like Trump or you support him, well, is the height of hypocrisy.

It took courage for Cruz to make that stand in the Senate.  He deserves our praise, not opportunistic condemnation.

:amen: to the whole post.

I still think Trump is going to pull out late in the primary season when no one else has the time to mount an effective campaign. IMHO,he is a totally selfish and self-centered SOB that cares nothing about anyone or anything other than himself and his mini-mes,and he is hoping for a payoff from the Dims for dropping out. He will then spend the rest of his life bragging about how "I COULD have been president if I wanted,but decided the job was beneath me."

Quick! How many of you Trumpeters think he will be willing to place all his business interests in blind trusts for at least 4 years while he is in the WH?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

IIMHO,he is a totally selfish and self-centered SOB that cares nothing about anyone or anything other than himself and his mini-mes,and he is hoping for a payoff from the Dims for dropping out. He will then spend the rest of his life bragging about how "I COULD have been president if I wanted,but decided the job was beneath me."

methinks we are going to get along.

Online libertybele

I still think Trump is going to pull out late in the primary season when no one else has the time to mount an effective campaign. IMHO,he is a totally selfish and self-centered SOB that cares nothing about anyone or anything other than himself and his mini-mes,and he is hoping for a payoff from the Dims for dropping out. He will then spend the rest of his life bragging about how "I COULD have been president if I wanted,but decided the job was beneath me."

Quick! How many of you Trumpeters think he will be willing to place all his business interests in blind trusts for at least 4 years while he is in the WH?

Cruz has mounted a very  effective campaign -- don't count him out.  Kasich is polling 2nd in New Hampshire. Rubio is close behind, I wouldn't count him out either. I agree with you on a couple of points; Trump is a selfish, self-centered SOB who is very narcissistic.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 04:28:05 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

HAPPY2BME

===============================

Where was Karl Rove when Bob needed him?

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Dole is still alive?  How is that even possible?

HAPPY2BME

I still think Trump is going to pull out late in the primary season when no one else has the time to mount an effective campaign.

=================================================

What you just said was that nobody running against Trump right NOW has an effective campaign.

Word.