Author Topic: Ukraine 4  (Read 233196 times)

Offline Kamaji

Re: Ukraine 4
« Reply #1725 on: September 22, 2023, 02:34:52 pm »
Like the German Leopard 2s that Ukraine is using, the training for the M1 Abrams involved a lot more than learning where levers and gauges were located. Leopards and Abrams were designed for a very different strategy than the Soviets/Russians planned to employ, and the sensors on both are much more capable that what the Soviet era tanks Ukraine had inherited and updated have.

Which means we should expect a few early battlefield losses, just as with the Leopards.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1726 on: September 22, 2023, 03:35:38 pm »
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #1727 on: September 22, 2023, 03:55:28 pm »
Do drones make MBT's irrelevant though? Seems like it...

And I love tanks.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #1728 on: September 22, 2023, 03:58:31 pm »

And I love tanks.

Only if one can blanket the field with enough drones to stop each and every tank.

So far, that hasn't been the case.

• Technical
« Reply #1729 on: September 22, 2023, 04:07:17 pm »
Only if one can blanket the field with enough drones to stop each and every tank.

So far, that hasn't been the case.

One mass production hits though... seems 5-10 drones may be cheaper than 1 tank.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #1730 on: September 22, 2023, 04:29:03 pm »

And I love tanks.

Every major weapon has its day. During that "day", for example, battleships evolved from pre-Dreadnoughts to Dreadnoughts to super-Dreadnoughts (main guns larger that 12") to fast battleships (fast enough to steam in formation with carriers). Then those carriers showed they were much more capable - more destructive, from longer ranges, and harder to find.

Drones complicate the threat environment in which tanks operate. Drones can damage tanks or direct artillery onto a tank (column). OTOH, drones can help tanks find threats and targets.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 05:04:21 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1731 on: September 22, 2023, 04:41:06 pm »
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #1732 on: September 22, 2023, 06:38:18 pm »

And I love tanks.

I don't think so.  Ukraine has been fighting in a drone-heavy environment for a year and a half, and they are still desperate for tanks.  That wouldn't be the case if they still weren't useful.

There are counters to drones, both electronic and otherwise.  They're also limited by weather, visibility, range, etc..  Isolated tanks are always going to be vulnerable to various countermeasures, including drones, but there aren't unlimited drones everywhere.  Tanks and other armored vehicles used en masse and moving fast are still a very potent battlefield weapon, and really the only way to take ground quickly.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1733 on: September 22, 2023, 06:41:20 pm »
One mass production hits though... seems 5-10 drones may be cheaper than 1 tank.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

I'm with ya on this one.

In FACT,put me down  as someone that thinks Drones are going to make tanks obsolete.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #1734 on: September 22, 2023, 08:12:01 pm »

Only if those 5-10 drones can absolutely shut down the tanks.  So far, that has not proven to be the case.  Each drone also still has to carry tank-killer munitions, and those are not as easy to produce as the drone itself.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1735 on: September 22, 2023, 08:32:37 pm »
@Weird Tolkienish Figure

I'm with ya on this one.

In FACT,put me down  as someone that thinks Drones are going to make tanks obsolete.
Unless and until tanks become even more than they are today. Keith Laumer's Bolo stories (Sci-fi) come to mind.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

« Reply #1736 on: September 22, 2023, 08:33:43 pm »
Only if those 5-10 drones can absolutely shut down the tanks.  So far, that has not proven to be the case.  Each drone also still has to carry tank-killer munitions, and those are not as easy to produce as the drone itself.

I wonder how affective thermite strategically placed on tank armor is. I think thermite is pretty light.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #1737 on: September 22, 2023, 08:34:54 pm »
I wonder how affective thermite strategically placed on tank armor is. I think thermite is pretty light.

Probably not very effective, particularly against the ceramic components.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1738 on: September 22, 2023, 09:00:10 pm »
Only if those 5-10 drones can absolutely shut down the tanks. 
It is not needed to 'absolutely shut down' the tanks. All that is needed is to harass and wound it. The tanks are far from any form of repair and Russia has no parts to repair it anyway. Even a small thing such as taking out communication or warping a hatch or some component of the tank, is enough to make it vulnerable. The crew will abandon it and run away.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

• Technical
« Reply #1739 on: September 22, 2023, 09:06:53 pm »
It is not needed to 'absolutely shut down' the tanks. All that is needed is to harass and wound it. The tanks are far from any form of repair and Russia has no parts to repair it anyway. Even a small thing such as taking out communication or warping a hatch or some component of the tank, is enough to make it vulnerable. The crew will abandon it and run away.

Russian tank turrets fly off in like every tank explosion ever due to them designing their tanks with the ammunition stored in a ring under the turret. Means even a little breach can be totally catastrophic. Basically they have consistently designed their equipment for very little regard for crew safety, much like their wider military strategy. Not sure how anyone who calls themselves a patriot could design equipment for no regard for human safety.

• Technical
« Reply #1740 on: September 22, 2023, 09:07:59 pm »
Unless and until tanks become even more than they are today. Keith Laumer's Bolo stories (Sci-fi) come to mind.

Absolutely tanks could evolve some sort of anti-drone strategy.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #1741 on: September 22, 2023, 09:08:29 pm »

Well, then so far drones are a bust, because they haven't been able to chase tanks off the battlefield.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1742 on: September 22, 2023, 09:18:31 pm »
Well, then so far drones are a bust, because they haven't been able to chase tanks off the battlefield.
Maybe. But Ukraine has so many defunct and abandoned Russian tanks in salvage now that they cannot fit anymore. Something is working.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #1743 on: September 22, 2023, 09:21:12 pm »
Maybe. But Ukraine has so many defunct and abandoned Russian tanks in salvage now that they cannot fit anymore. Something is working.

Then why haven't the Russians demolished all of Ukraine's tanks with drones?

Ukraine has made a couple of interesting tank kills with drones, but most of their kills have come from anti-tank missiles.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1744 on: September 22, 2023, 09:34:51 pm »
Then why haven't the Russians demolished all of Ukraine's tanks with drones?
Russia does not use their drones on military targets like tanks. Russia sends drones to hospitals, schools, and apartment blocks. Russia is salvaging technology/chips from smart appliances such as dishwashers to make pseudo-drones. They are out of parts.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #1745 on: September 22, 2023, 10:59:22 pm »
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #1746 on: September 22, 2023, 11:33:56 pm »
Storm Shadow cruise missiles.

https://rumble.com/v3jwroo-footage-of-ukrainian-missiles-hitting-the-headquarters-of-russian-black-sea.html

A day or two ago the Ukrainians took out a significant Black Sea Fleet communications facility, possibly with the communications people as well. Crimea, Sevastopol particularly, has become a much less useful and usable naval base.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1747 on: September 23, 2023, 12:27:32 am »

@Kamaji

How long have tanks been around?

How long have  tank-killer drones been around?

Tank-killing drones are still a new technology,but this technology is developing rapidly when it comes to Soviet tanks.

Don't forget that it is not really necessary to "kill" the tank. All you need to do is kill or disable the tank crew,and being inside one of those SOB's when a couple of drones loaded with  HE come a-knock,knock,knocking is NOT something that *I* ever want to experience.

Now,to further "seal the deal",how long does it take to train a tank crew to the point where they are effective,compared to hold long it takes to train a drone operator that might not even be in the  same country as the drone he is guiding?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1748 on: September 23, 2023, 01:01:02 am »
'Many Officers' Reported Killed After Strike on Russian HQ Near Kherson

BRENDAN COLE  |  9/20/23 AT 5:54 AM EDT

Russian army officers key to Moscow's war effort in Ukraine were killed following a strike on their military headquarters, a Russian Telegram channel has reported.

The VChK-OGPU outlet, which purports to have inside information from Russian security forces, said that the command post of Russia's 7th Airborne Division located in the occupied part of the southern Ukrainian oblast of Kherson had been hit.

"Many officers died from a targeted strike," said the post, "the exact number of victims has been carefully concealed. At the time of the shelling, the paratroopers had been undergoing daily planning."

The channel said the information was confirmed by Yevgeny Khanin, the chairman of the veterans organization of the 7th Guards Air Assault Division stationed in Novorossiysk, in Russia's Krasnodar region, which lies close to Kherson.  .  .

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-officers-kherson-vchk-ogpu-1828371
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1749 on: September 23, 2023, 01:02:20 am »
Russian Commander of Elite Air Assault Brigade Killed in Ukraine

ISABEL VAN BRUGEN  |  9/18/23 AT 5:23 AM EDT

Colonel Andrey Kondrashkin, the commander of a Russian elite air assault brigade, has reportedly been killed in Ukraine.

The news was announced by Alexander Khodakovsky, the commander of the Russian-aligned "Vostok" battalion fighting on the Donetsk front, whose troops were pushed out of the village of Urozhaine in August.

Kondrashkin, the commander of the elite 31st Airborne Storm Brigade, is reported to have played a crucial role in Russia's siege of Mariupol in 2022. Khodakovsky suggested he was killed in a Ukrainian strike.  .  .

https://www.newsweek.com/russian-commander-elite-air-assualt-brigade-andrey-kondrashkin-killed-ukraine-1827697
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-