Author Topic: Trump falsely claims that 'when somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is tot  (Read 4985 times)

Online Hoodat

Powers not delegated are RESERVED to states & the PEOPLE.  There is nothing to rethink for me.

Reporter:  What if some States refuse to reopen, and you order them to?  The Tenth Amendment of the Constitution says all powers that don't reside with the President or Congress reside in the States.  How do you .  .  .

President Trump:  Well, if some States refuse to open, I would like to see that person run for election.

That pretty much covers "states" and "people" right there.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Mesaclone

Powers not delegated are RESERVED to states & the PEOPLE.  There is nothing to rethink for me.
@Once-Ler

And which SPECIFIC power is you feel the President has usurped from the states?
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

@Once-Ler

And which SPECIFIC power is you feel the President has usurped from the states?
I never said he usurped power in fact I said he does not have ultimate and absolute power,  Why do you think he has such power @Mesaclone ?

Online Hoodat

I never said he usurped power in fact I said he does not have ultimate and absolute power

President Trump openly admits that he does not have ultimate and absolute power.  But then admitting that would only proved the idiocy of this latest fake news attack.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Trump said that the president has the authority to do with the president has authority to do. He also said that the leader of any state not opening up their state will pay a political cost from their voters. He did not say that he had authority over them. More fake news.
Absolutely.

The Constitution conveys 100% of the power of the Presidency to a single individual.

This is fake news to the extreme.

TDS posting once again.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

President Trump openly admits that he does not have ultimate and absolute power.  But then admitting that would only proved the idiocy of this latest fake news attack.

You might want to read what President Trump actually said.  I didn't transcribe it but I'll vouch for the Briefer who did.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,398222.msg2190005.html#msg2190005

Well, I have the ultimate authority.
and
they can't do anything without the approval of the President of the United States.

I just finished watching today's Press Briefing and at 55 minutes in he states "There are some that want to open up almost now.  If we disagree with it we are not gonna let them open."

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfniwlxa2_8t=3130

https://twitter.com/PreetBharara/status/1250208436136148992
Preet Bharara @PreetBharara
I hereby authorize the squirrels in my neighborhood to scamper across my property in accordance with Squirrel Law
Quote Tweet
Jim Acosta @Acosta
Trump says he is authorizing governors to make their own decisions on when to reopen. Ok.
6:44 PM · Apr 14, 2020

« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 02:55:49 am by Once-Ler »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Absolutely.

TDS posting once again.

Wasting time by a member that repeatedly states he hates Trump, and alludes to homosexual deviant acts on member(s)

This situation is a feature here, not merely a bug.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Mesaclone

I never said he usurped power in fact I said he does not have ultimate and absolute power,  Why do you think he has such power @Mesaclone ?

@Once-Ler

Oh, let's not be coy.

Its you who's asserting the President is overreaching his authority...that he's claiming powers he doesn't have. So what Powers are you referring to? What power claim, specifically, has the President made that he's not entitled to under the Constitution?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 03:12:52 am by Mesaclone »

Offline Mesaclone

You might want to read what President Trump actually said.  I didn't transcribe it but I'll vouch for the Briefer who did.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,398222.msg2190005.html#msg2190005
and
I just finished watching today's Press Briefing and at 55 minutes in he states "There are some that want to open up almost now.  If we disagree with it we are not gonna let them open."

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfniwlxa2_8t=3130

https://twitter.com/PreetBharara/status/1250208436136148992
Preet Bharara @PreetBharara

If you find yourself quoting anything from Jim Acosta...you've already lost the argument in every way conceivable.

Offline Absalom

Better fact check that Constitution again.  The founders gave the President unpresidented powers during a National Emergency.
-------------------------------
Utter Nonsense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Once-Ler

Oh, let's not be coy.

Its you who's asserting the President is overreaching his authority...that he's claiming powers he doesn't have. So what Powers are you referring to? What power claim, specifically, has the President made that he's not entitled to under the Constitution?

No thanx @Mesaclone .  If you can't understand what I'm saying by now, going over it again isn't going to help.  11513

Offline Mesaclone

No thanx @Mesaclone .  If you can't understand what I'm saying by now, going over it again isn't going to help.  11513

I guess your just doomed to be the misunderstood genius...too smart for us regular folks to comprehend.

If you find yourself quoting anything from Jim Acosta...you've already lost the argument in every way conceivable.
You must have racked up a lot of huge wins, in your own mind, arguing with me. :thumbsup:

so is "Trump says he is authorizing governors to make their own decisions on when to reopen. Ok." Fake News?

I guess your just doomed to be the misunderstood genius...too smart for us regular folks to comprehend.

Don't worry about me, friend.  Most people understand me easy enough.

Offline Mesaclone

Don't worry about me, friend.  Most people understand me easy enough.

Do they?

Offline Mesaclone

You must have racked up a lot of huge wins, in your own mind, arguing with me. :thumbsup:

so is "Trump says he is authorizing governors to make their own decisions on when to reopen. Ok." Fake News?

So, the President said he's going to let Governors lead in reopening their own states...while offering any needed Federal support. And he's making clear that, if necessary, he can intervene in the process to ensure the people of the state's are protected.

Oh no. How COULD he say such a thing.

What's FAKE is pretending any of that is news at all...as its what the President has done all along and has continually stated he would do.

Offline Absalom

The President has declared a National State of emergency for this virus thing and that gives the tons of authority to regulate commerce etc.
Cannot find a clear write up on this... Maybe someone else can...
---------------------
Try the 10th Amendment written in 1791 which remains alive and well.

Offline Mesaclone

---------------------
Try the 10th Amendment written in 1791 which remains alive and well.

@Absalom: its a bit more complicated than simply observing the 10th amendment.

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/guide-emergency-powers-and-their-use

This article lists the 123 additional powers the President is granted under the National Emergency Powers Act of 1976...the President's use of these powers can be overridden by a 2/3 veto override vote of both houses of congress. As the Act grants congressional pre-approval for the President assuming these powers by his declaration of an Emergency (and by entering such into the Federal Register), the President is acting...by definition...with congressional imprimatur and using the listed powers.

The powers congress granted the President under this act are broad and are usable essentially at his discretion. He is, of course, still subject to challenges in the Supreme Court though that is an unwieldy and time consuming restraint on such powers.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 03:53:00 am by Mesaclone »

Offline Absalom

Much of the time Trump doesn't know what the hell he's saying, much to the delight of his adoring faithful who deliver the most sympathetic interpretations to the latest utterances.
One would think the Chief Executive of this country would have a better grasp of the Constitution.
---------------------------------
Like Barnum, Trump has been an entertainer since puberty.
Anything he blathers is Gospel to the Fan Club.

Do they?
Yes.  Why do you need to be told something multiple times?

Offline Mesaclone

---------------------------------
Like Barnum, Trump has been an entertainer since puberty.
Anything he blathers is Gospel to the Fan Club.

One can see how it would seem so to someone fully in the grip of Trump Derangement syndrome.

Offline Mesaclone

Yes.  Why do you need to be told something multiple times?

The more bizarre the utterance, the more likely you are to hear a request for repetition. The ears here it, but the brain takes time to encompass the absurd.

So, the President said he's going to let Governors lead in reopening their own states...while offering any needed Federal support. And he's making clear that, if necessary, he can intervene in the process to ensure the people of the state's are protected.

Oh no. How COULD he say such a thing.

@Mesaclone Acosta said "Trump says he is authorizing governors to make their own decisions on when to reopen. Ok."  I asked if it was Fake News.  I'm still no closer to an answer and I don't want you to be misunderstood.

The more bizarre the utterance, the more likely you are to hear a request for repetition. The ears here it, but the brain takes time to encompass the absurd.
I figured it was a brain thing.

Offline Mesaclone

@Mesaclone Acosta said "Trump says he is authorizing governors to make their own decisions on when to reopen. Ok."  I asked if it was Fake News.  I'm still no closer to an answer and I don't want you to be misunderstood.

And I answered you, quite clearly...perhaps you're having your own "brain thing". Its not News at all. I know that doesn't really fit the narrative your after, but there it is.

As for the President's authority to direct the states in this process...if the President feels necessary...below is but one statutory authority granted him under the Emergency Powers Act. The President is choosing, for now, to let the Governor's move at individualized paces...a wise call at this point in time:

42 U.S.C. § 5122 defines an emergency under this chapter as "any occasion or instance for which, in the determination of the President, Federal assistance is needed to supplement State and local efforts and capabilities to save lives and to protect property and public health and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a catastrophe in any part of the United States.” The same section defines a major disaster under this chapter as "any natural catastrophe (including any hurricane, tornado, storm, high water, winddriven [sic] water, tidal wave, tsunami, earthquake, volcanic eruption, landslide, mudslide, snowstorm, or drought), or, regardless of cause, any fire, flood, or explosion, in any part of the United States, which in the determination of the President causes damage of sufficient severity and magnitude to warrant major disaster assistance under this chapter to supplement the efforts and available resources of States, local governments, and disaster relief organizations in alleviating the damage, loss, hardship, or suffering caused thereby”
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 04:11:02 am by Mesaclone »