Author Topic: Trump falsely claims that 'when somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is tot  (Read 4984 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I thought it was funny in the press conference that the press has finally got on the side of federalism and states rights. Pence made it clear that this was about what a President can do in a declared national emergency. I can’t believe there is so much naysaying and outrage here. What the President said was true.

Verdict with Ted Cruz

April 11,2020

Senator Cruz and Michael sit down with energy expert Wil VanLoh to discuss the collapse of America’s oil and gas industry and what we can do about it

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Here, I dictated the video myself and typed out a transcript for you.

Thank you @Hoodat that is not easy with this President.  I speak from experience.

President Trump: Well, I have the ultimate authority.

Reporter 2:  My question to you is what provision in the Constitution gives the President the power to open or close State economies.  And then, .  .  .

President Trump:  Numerous provisions, we will give you a legal brief if you want.

Reporter 3:  It is the states that have ordered schools closed, it is the states that have ordered businesses like restaurants closed .  .  .

President Trump:  Because I let that happen.  Because I would have preferred that, I let that happen.  But if I wanted to, I could have closed it up.  But I let that happen.  And I like the way they've done it.  And the seven that remain - really it's sort of a semi-lockdown.  If you look at those states, they've really done a very good job.  They're very much different from a New York or from other places where they've been hit very hard.

Reporter 4:  Yes, Mr. President, I am following up on that.  There are two consortiums of states today, California-Oregon-Washington on the west coast, northeastern states, totally representing about 100 million people, who said they're going to cooperate and decide when to reopen.

President Trump:  Well, they can decide, but . . .

Reporter 4:  You're trying to .  .  .

President Trump:  Not at all.  Let me just tell you, very simple, I am going to put it very simply.  The President has the authority to do what the President has the authority to do, which is very powerful.  The President of the United States calls the shots. If we weren't here for the States, you would have had a problem in this country like you have never seen before.  We were here to back them up, and we have more than backed them up.  We did a job that nobody ever thought was possible.  It is a decision for the President of the United States.  Now with that being said, we're going to work with the States because it's very important.  You have local governments - they're pinpointed.  It's really - you're talking about - it's like a microchip.  They're pinpointed.  We have local government that hopefully will do a good job.  And if they don't do a good job, I'd step in so fast.  But no, they can't do anything without the approval of the President of the United States.

Reporter 6:  Just to clarify your understanding of your authority vis-a-vis governors, to be very specific.  For instance, if a governor issues a stay-at-home order .  .  .

President Trump:  You say 'my authority'.  The President's authority - not mine.  Because when somebody is the President of the United States, the authority is total.  And that's the way it's got to be.  It's total.  It's total.  And the governors know that.  The governors know that.  You have a couple of bands of Democrat governors, but they will agree to it.  They will agree to it.  But the authority of the President, the authority of the President of the United States having to do with the subject we are talking about is total.

Nice job @Hoodat .  It is exactly what I heard too.   :thumbsup:

Never in my wildest imagination did I ever think I would hear a leftist cite Amendment X.

Those damn rats and their agreeing with the Constitution.  Where will it end? :shrug:

Online libertybele

Didn't Trump declare a National Emergency?  Wouldn't he then have authority??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline truth_seeker

A little trivia:

Shortly after the time General Haig made that remark, He purchased one of my listings on...IIRC, Cape Cod Ct., Bethesda, MD.    happy77
That is fascinating.

See Ted Cruz interview video below, in which he mentions nothing of the daily anti-Trump, anti-Faucci drumbeat found on this site.

Offline mountaineer

Those damn rats and their agreeing with the Constitution.  Where will it end? :shrug:
I suspect we've already seen both the beginning and the end of that.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Hoodat

Didn't Trump declare a National Emergency?  Wouldn't he then have authority??

It's OK for Grover Cleveland to order railroad workers back to work.  It's OK for Teddy Roosevelt or Jimmy Carter to order coal miners back to work.  It's OK for Harry Truman to order the steel mills to remain open.  It's OK for George Bush to order longshoremen back to work.  It's OK for Baraq Obama to order NHL players back on the ice.  But not Trump.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline skeeter

Any correlation between the rats' rhetoric and the Constitution is purely coincidental.

Any correlation between the rats' rhetoric and the Constitution is purely coincidental.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.  I'm not gonna stop calling them rats @skeeter . wink777

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

We both know congenital liars in our lives, and you know they tell the truth every great once in a while, just to confuse you.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Hoodat

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Even the devil can quote scripture when it suits his purpose.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline skeeter

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.  I'm not gonna stop calling them rats @skeeter . wink777

Well at least there's that.  :patriot:

Offline mountaineer

On the topic of federalism:
A Remedial Explanation Of Federalism For Jonah Goldberg
The point of federalism is that it keeps tyrants little.
By John Daniel Davidson
April 14, 2020

Jonah Goldberg seems to think I’ve been inconsistent in a series of recent articles about state and local government efforts to fight the spread of the coronavirus, suggesting that my past praise for federalism conflicts with my recent criticism of mayors and governors who have taken their emergency powers too far—little tyrants, I called them.

But of course there’s nothing inconsistent about affirming the primary role of state and local governments in a crisis, and also noting that in some places, local officials will behave badly and will have to be held accountable, either by voters or by the courts.

That’s sort of the entire point of federalism, and one of its chief blessings: the tyrants are little.  ...

During a press briefing yesterday President Trump averred that the authority of the president is “total,” and that governors “can’t do anything without the approval of the president.”

This is obviously not true. The most charitable explanation is that Trump was simply reacting to the media in his usual provocative way, pretending he can do whatever he wants and daring the media to flip out (which they did). When pressed on details, it seems clear he meant it would be politically untenable for most governors to keep their states closed after Trump says they should open, which is probably true.

But in the era of NeverTrump and Trump Derangement Syndrome, some people have developed an unhealthy preoccupation with the current occupant of the White House.  ...
More at the Federalist
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

It's OK for Grover Cleveland to order railroad workers back to work.  It's OK for Teddy Roosevelt or Jimmy Carter to order coal miners back to work.  It's OK for Harry Truman to order the steel mills to remain open.  It's OK for George Bush to order longshoremen back to work.  It's OK for Baraq Obama to order NHL players back on the ice.  But not Trump.

Reagan Air Traffic Controllers.

I think a strong case exists, for war since China placed us at risk by lying.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I think, at the end of the day, restrictions will be lifted the same way they were imposed:  By the Governors.  The President can strongly advise, but it's ultimately not his call.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Reagan Air Traffic Controllers.

I think a strong case exists, for war since China placed us at risk by lying.

War?

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1250090771702743043

Senator Rand Paul @RandPaul
The constitution doesn’t allow the federal gov’t to become the ultimate regulator of our lives because they wave a doctor’s note. Powers not delegated are RESERVED to states & the PEOPLE. If we dispense with constitutional restraints, we will have more to worry about than a virus
10:57 AM · Apr 14, 2020

My apologies to Senator Rand for the Presidential tweet headed his way.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:27:10 pm by Once-Ler »

Offline truth_seeker

I think, at the end of the day, restrictions will be lifted the same way they were imposed:  By the Governors.  The President can strongly advise, but it's ultimately not his call.

I listen to local news, which is often days ahead of the click-bait national legacy media.

LA City, LA county, Orange County, California have good coverage in media, mainly AM radio.

There is a lot of discussion about restarting the economy.

No mention yet of goods coming into LA/Long Beach Harbor--largest commercial in the country.
That harbor feeds rail lines, and truck routes across the nation.

On example-Interstate Hwy 10, from Santa Monica CA to Jacksonville FL via Phoenix, Houston, NO etc.

Hwy 40 LA to Flagstaff to Albuquerque, Amarillo, etc. Hwy 15 LA/San Diego to Vegas to SLC.

Hwy 5 San Diego to Seattle Hwy 80 SF to Reno to SLC

Besides goods, many of those paths also carry agriculture, from the nation's largest producer of same.

Plus several large international airports (LAX, SF, Ontario, San Diego, Oakland.

Plus several large universities with internaional students.

Let's hope the institutions serve us well.

Offline EdinVA

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1250090771702743043

My apologies to Senator Rand for the Presidential tweet headed his way.
So, then it is ok if the states let illegals or 16 year olds vote?
States can the let unlimited abortions?
Sanctuary locals are ok?
We need to rethink this "states rights" thing a tad... 

Can you have as many rights as you can beg, borrow or steal?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Sanctuary locals are ok?

I think 16-year-olds are already voting in some places, for School Boards.  The catch is voting in Federal elections, where 18 was the age set in the 26th Amendment to the Constitution.
I will NOT comply.

Online Hoodat

Which President Trump openly admitted in his response.

Offline Absalom

Better fact check that Constitution again.  The founders gave the President unpresidented powers during a National Emergency.
---------------------------
Respectfully, what on this earth are you talking about?????
The Bill of Rights includes the 10th Amendment, articulating the core Principle of Federalism/States Rights.
It stipulates that the National Government possesses only those powers enumerated/delegated
by the Constitution.
Those not enumerated belong to the people to be exercised thru their elected representatives.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 10:07:28 pm by Absalom »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
That is fascinating.

See Ted Cruz interview video below, in which he mentions nothing of the daily anti-Trump, anti-Faucci drumbeat found on this site.

Thanks, @truth_seeker !!

The shitshow never ends 'round here.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Sanctuary locals are ok?

Powers not delegated are RESERVED to states & the PEOPLE.  There is nothing to rethink for me.

Offline EdinVA

Powers not delegated are RESERVED to states & the PEOPLE.  There is nothing to rethink for me.
Ok, the you gotta live with the consequences.....