Author Topic: Can Trump win back his base after signing the abominable spending bill? By Thomas Lifson  (Read 1707 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
March 24, 2018
Can Trump win back his base after signing the abominable spending bill?
By Thomas Lifson

I, too, wish that President Trump had vetoed that spending that bill that put smiles on the faces of Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer, and permitted them to gloat openly. The only reason for his cave-in that I find credible is what he said: that the huge spending increase for our now-depleted military cannot wait. Our airplanes and helicopters are falling from the skies and roughly half of some aircraft models are not airworthy; some of them suffering cannibalization of their parts to keep the rest flying.

I suspect that his attention now is focused on the pending talks with North Korean leader Kim Jong un, and he absolutely requires a credible threat to use our military. Iran and other bad actors are watching closely, and military weakness going into those talks would be my priority if the responsibility were on my shoulders.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/03/can_trump_win_back_his_base_after_signing_the_abominable_spending_bill.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jpsb

After years of sending people to DC only to be back stabbed it is not going to be easy to win
back supporters who feel betrayed AGAIN.

Offline endicom

Looks like Lifson has summed it up.

I would have liked to see a veto just to see it. I don't think it would be effective as both parties, with some exceptions, want to spend.

Let's see how Ryan and McConnell explain the vote.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Good column.  I agree.  This was a tactical retreat in service of a greater and far more important goal - to get the military the funds it needs to improve its readiness and ability to fight the next war.    Is that worth a few bucks for Planned Parenthood?  Yeah,  I'd say so,  and if there are conservatives foolish enough to stay at home and let full-blown taxpayer subsidization of abortion be enacted by the next Congress,  then the only task remaining for me is to register my contempt at such short-sightedness.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
It seems to me that Ron Reagan signed some pretty bloated budgets as well.
Granted, he didn't have both houses of Congress on his side, but he signed them anyway.

If I were to assign "blame" to the current spending bill's largesse, that blame would be on the Republicans who crafted and voted for it.

On Mr. Trump... not so much.

Offline musiclady

There is a segment of his base that is so in love with him that he literally could shoot someone and they wouldn’t care.

But some people who voted for him can think for themselves, and for them this is a bridge too far.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

It seems to me that Ron Reagan signed some pretty bloated budgets as well.
Granted, he didn't have both houses of Congress on his side, but he signed them anyway.

If I were to assign "blame" to the current spending bill's largesse, that blame would be on the Republicans who crafted and voted for it.

On Mr. Trump... not so much.

On mr. trump, never any blame.....   **nononono*

You sir, are one of the loyal ones..
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline dfwgator

He can, but he'd better start doing it quickly.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
There is a segment of his base that is so in love with him that he literally could shoot someone and they wouldn’t care.

But some people who voted for him can think for themselves, and for them this is a bridge too far.
@musiclady
And some think it's all Congress's fault for writing it, forgetting that nobody necessarily held a gun to Donaldus Minimus's head and forced him to sign that atrocity.

It's like an indulgent momma blaming the China closet for being there in the first place and not Junior who just put his foot through it after he was told not to go
near it.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Victoria33

@mystery-ak
You said, "The only reason for his cave-in that I find credible is what he said: that the huge spending increase for our now-depleted military cannot wait."

As of yesterday, he's going to use military money to fund his wall and have the military build it.  Since he is the commander in chief he can spend that money anyway he wants and use military men/women as employees to build a wall.  He can also spend the military money for a golden chandelier - in his mind, it's HIS money - not YOUR money.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

The only reason for his cave-in that I find credible is what he said: that the huge spending increase for our now-depleted military cannot wait. Our airplanes and helicopters are falling from the skies and roughly half of some aircraft models are not airworthy; some of them suffering cannibalization of their parts to keep the rest flying.

You bought the boldfaced bullshit and the Big Lie about why he signed that budget Friday Mr. Lifson. 

Behold the facts that our short-term memories that Government counts on have obscured your ability to see through the bovine excrement being flung by POTUS:

Trump signed a 700 BILLION DOLLAR Military Budget into law on February 9th, the largest budget they have ever received - a little over a month ago.

The budget bill that President Donald Trump signed Friday includes huge spending increases for the military: The Pentagon will get $94 billion more this budget year than last -- a 15.5 percent jump. It's the biggest year-over-year windfall since the budget soared by 26.6 percent, from $345 billion in 2002 to $437 billion the year after, when the nation was fighting in Afghanistan, invading Iraq and expanding national defense after the 9/11 attacks.

The enormous increases in defense spending agreed to by lawmakers on Friday go beyond what Trump ask for.

The deal Congress approved early Friday also sets the Pentagon's 2019 budget at $716 billion, giving Mattis the financial stability he's been demanding.

The biggest winners in the military buildup are the country's largest defense contractors, such as Lockheed Martin, Boeing and General Dynamics, that spend millions of dollars each year lobbying Congress.

So Trump boldfaced lied to you on Friday, and you bought it as a credible excuse, when that was the excuse used and accepted last month for the two 700 Billion budgets for the military this year and next.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Concerned

@musiclady
And some think it's all Congress's fault for writing it, forgetting that nobody necessarily held a gun to Donaldus Minimus's head and forced him to sign that atrocity.

It's like an indulgent momma blaming the China closet for being there in the first place and not Junior who just put his foot through it after he was told not to go
near it.

I know Trump likes to paint himself as the victim, and here he acts like his staff weren't involved in the drafting of this bill and he's a victim of Congress.  Well, reports are that Marc Short, White House Legislative Affairs Director, was “deeply involved in the talks” with Congress. Had the President been serious about getting some of the things he didn't like out of the Omnibus Spending Bill, he could have told Marc Short where his non-negotiable red lines and requirements were so Congress wouldn’t present him a bill with some of the nonsense that's in this one.  Better yet, the self-described "great deal-maker" could have rolled up his sleeves and crafted a "great deal" himself.  Sadly, he was apparently tied up tweeting about fighting Joe Biden.     

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/379573-white-house-backs-omnibus-spending-bill
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline jpsb

I know Trump likes to paint himself as the victim, and here he acts like his staff weren't involved in the drafting of this bill and he's a victim of Congress.  Well, reports are that Marc Short, White House Legislative Affairs Director, was “deeply involved in the talks” with Congress. Had the President been serious about getting some of the things he didn't like out of the Omnibus Spending Bill, he could have told Marc Short where his non-negotiable red lines and requirements were so Congress wouldn’t present him a bill with some of the nonsense that's in this one.  Better yet, the self-described "great deal-maker" could have rolled up his sleeves and crafted a "great deal" himself.  Sadly, he was apparently tied up tweeting about fighting Joe Biden.     

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/379573-white-house-backs-omnibus-spending-bill

I was making that very point yesterday on Twitter. If Trump did not know what the omnibus bill
had in it. Then the first order of business is to fire Short. Since Short is still employed the
obvious conclusion the Trump knew what was in the bill.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Of course Trump knew a lot of crapola was in the bill.   Everyone tosses in their pet projects in exchange for their support.  The problem isn't Trump,  but the nature of these omnibus spending bills and the President's lack of a line item veto.    Trump signed the bill to get full funding for the military.    That was his priority, and why he reluctantly had to "sign on" to the pork.    Bottom line is he did the right thing given the options available.   Congress during the Obama years spent eight years starving the military, to the point that our readiness and ability to fight the next war has been affected.

Trump acted as a President should under such circumstances.   
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 01:24:53 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

True, but this mess falls equally on McConnell and Ryan. The hyperbolic seizure from the 'I HATE TRUMP, I HATE HIM I HATE HIM I HATE HIM, HE'S SO MEAN AND EVIL AND A BAD BAD MAN!!!' crowd seems to not spreadl to the the leadership in Congress that oversaw the crafting of the bill and the passing of it in their chambers.

I question the conservatism of the never-Trumpers who can't seem to get equally riled at the other two shysters involved in this debacle.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 05:23:43 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Online LMAO

True, but this mess falls equally on McConnell and Ryan.

Yup

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Trump signed the bill to get full funding for the military.    That was his priority, and why he reluctantly had to "sign on" to the pork.   

BULLSHIT!

Trump signed a 700 BILLION DOLLAR Military Budget into law on February 9th, the largest budget they have ever received

The budget bill that President Donald Trump signed [February 9th] includes huge spending increases for the military: The Pentagon will get $94 billion more this budget year than last -- a 15.5 percent jump. It's the biggest year-over-year windfall since the budget soared by 26.6 percent, from $345 billion in 2002 to $437 billion the year after, when the nation was fighting in Afghanistan, invading Iraq and expanding national defense after the 9/11 attacks.

The enormous increases in defense spending agreed to by lawmakers on Friday go beyond what Trump ask for.

The deal Congress approved early Friday also sets the Pentagon's 2019 budget at $716 billion, giving Mattis the financial stability he's been demanding.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
True, but this mess falls equally on McConnell and Ryan.

Oh no.... let's not limit the responsibility for this 'debacle' to just three morons: Trump, Ryan and McConnell.  Nearly the ENTIRETY of the Republican Party in Congress voted for this.  They voted on a bill crafted in secret, large and expansive, and not given time to read and properly digest it before voting on it as their party promised.    The same crap many of them ran against after how Obamacare became law to win their seat.

They are ALL to blame - the whole stupid party - for fostering this debacle on the taxpayers.

Some very real consequences of this are going to come home to roost.

One of them needs to be the repudiation of the Republican Party in total by anyone who holds to Conservative principles.

Offline Concerned

True, but this mess falls equally on McConnell and Ryan. The hyperbolic seizure from the 'I HATE TRUMP, I HATE HIM I HATE HIM I HATE HIM, HE'S SO MEAN AND EVIL AND A BAD BAD MAN!!!' crowd seems to not spreadl to the the leadership in Congress that oversaw the crafting of the bill and the passing of it in their chambers.

I question the conservatism of the never-Trumpers who can't seem to get equally riled at the other two shysters involved in this debacle.

There’s no question a huge part of the blame for this debacle has to fall on both McConnell and Ryan.  Neither appear to know what to do with the majorities they have.  Having said that, Trump sold himself as the master deal-maker and that only he could fix Washington.  Well?  A deal was just made with the Democrats and the great deal-maker is trying to paint himself as being a victim of Congress.  He set the expectation of fixing this kind of nonsense. 

Instead of personally driving “the art of the deal”, it looks like he left it to McConnell, Ryan, and the White House Legislative Affairs Director, Marc Short, who was reportedly “deeply involved in the talks”.  If “only he” can fix it, I do wonder why the President wasn’t more personally engaged in something that so clearly required deal-making skills.  I had really hoped that the President would bring a fresh perspective and creative ideas to Washington deal-making, but he often appears largely disengaged.  I’m afraid these master deal-making skills are in his head because I certainly haven’t seen evidence of them since he became President.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
Oh no.... let's not limit the responsibility for this 'debacle' to just three morons: Trump, Ryan and McConnell.  Nearly the ENTIRETY of the Republican Party in Congress voted for this.  They voted on a bill crafted in secret, large and expansive, and not given time to read and properly digest it before voting on it as their party promised.    The same crap many of them ran against after how Obamacare became law to win their seat.

They are ALL to blame - the whole stupid party - for fostering this debacle on the taxpayers.

Some very real consequences of this are going to come home to roost.

One of them needs to be the repudiation of the Republican Party in total by anyone who holds to Conservative principles.

Oh I agree, but those three are the gatekeepers, the leadership. The mantle falls on them because they had full power to stop it, and from it even starting.

Only saving grace for me is the entire Iowa GOP delegation voted a big fat negatory on the bill.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Trump?   How is he to blame?   The omnibus bill, for better or worse,  is a product of the Congress.  About half the GOP Senators didn't vote for the bill; this bill was supported by most Dems and many Republicans.   It is no different from other omnibus bills.  For many Republicans,  the money for the military was the big get.   For Dems,  they got their poke-in-the-eye funding for PP.   For Senators in the northeast, they got funding for the Gateway project - the single most important infrastructure project in the nation.    And lots of individual Senators got their pet projects funded.   This is how sausage is made.   The actor with the least influence is the President, who can either sign or veto the whole thing.   

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
Trump?   How is he to blame?   The omnibus bill, for better or worse,  is a product of the Congress.  About half the GOP Senators didn't vote for the bill; this bill was supported by most Dems and many Republicans.   It is no different from other omnibus bills.  For many Republicans,  the money for the military was the big get.   For Dems,  they got their poke-in-the-eye funding for PP.   For Senators in the northeast, they got funding for the Gateway project - the single most important infrastructure project in the nation.    And lots of individual Senators got their pet projects funded.   This is how sausage is made.   The actor with the least influence is the President, who can either sign or veto the whole thing.

He has the power of veto as the Founders wrote into the Constitution. Send them back to the drawing board and come up with something better. We don't have the luxury of these big pork bills with $21T in debt.
The Republic is lost.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
For many Republicans,  the money for the military was the big get.

You keep pushing this bullshit lie, right along with Trump.

Trump signed the largest budget for the military back on February 9th to the tune of 700 and 716 BILLION for two years. 

This is how sausage is made.   

Your sausage factory is only going to last until it runs out of other people's money - which - it already has.

All it runs on now is debt.  And, debt when called - wipes everything out - including the sheep who were fleeced to keep it running.

Silver Pines

@Free Vulcan

I can't speak for @musiclady, but the article and the thread speak to Trump's involvement, so he's the one being discussed here.  IMO, most of his base will stick with him no matter what he does.  Some of them will make excuses, others will get upset and rail a little, but they'll get over it.

Has anyone at TBR screamed that Trump is mean and evil and they hate him?  To me, the claim is a little hyperbolic, don't you think?

I don't hate Trump, and I don't hate Ryan and McConnell.  Dislike?  Yeah, that.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
I don't hate Trump, and I don't hate Ryan and McConnell.  Dislike?  Yeah, that.

I despise all three of them, even moreso than I do the Democrats.

At least the Democrats are honest about what they intend to do to their victims.

These three bastards promised and promised and promised and campaigned, campaigned and campaigned to stop, end and repeal root and branch, the crap Obama and the Democrats have done.

Instead, these three have made the Obama, Clinton and Democrat Agenda their own, and crafted their own deals in secret with the Democrats in thousand-page omnibus bills no one had the time to read before voting it into "law".

I despise them all and they make me sick.  They are beyond loathsome, and they and their party I hope meet the just deserts they have sown for themselves.

Unfortunately, they will take us all out with them when the consequences of what they have done to stab us in the heart from the back come to fruition.

Neither God, or the laws of economics are mocked.