Author Topic: House GOP eyeing $1B disaster funds cut to finance wall  (Read 7550 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: House GOP eyeing $1B disaster funds cut to finance wall
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2017, 12:52:13 pm »
Thankfully your views aren't shared by a majority of Republicans.

uh huh

That is a fail.

That majority of Republicans voted Trump into office expecting that he curb illegal immigration.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Oceander

« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2017, 12:55:38 pm »
uh huh

That is a fail.

That majority of Republicans voted Trump into office expecting that he curb illegal immigration.

A majority of Americans voted against him completely, therefore implicitly against his wall insanity, and not all republicans support the idiotic, asinine wall fetish. 

Offline jpsb

« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2017, 12:56:00 pm »
Thankfully your views aren't shared by a majority of Republicans or Christians. 

Government policy created the illegal immigration problem.  It is morally unjust to treat these folks as pariahs - they came here to work.   

Trump won the election on the issue of illegal immigration. So obviously most Republicans and Christians do want the illegal immigrates gone.

Where is your compassion for those that wait years to come here LEGALLY. How do you like it when you are waiting in a very long line and you constantly see people cutting in front of you?

You are not a conservative, you are a progressive globalist that does not believe in the rule of law.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2017, 01:00:20 pm »
A majority of Americans voted against him completely, therefore implicitly against his wall insanity, and not all republicans support the idiotic, asinine wall fetish.

OMG. You're siding with @Jazzhead?

:thud:

:laugh:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Oceander

« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2017, 01:06:21 pm »

I don't see the point in wasting billions of dollars and trashing millions of acres of land for the sake of some ego-driven monstrosity.

I also understand the basic fact that unless the US is willing to subject itself to Gestapo-like limitations on freedom, demands for papers, and arrests at random, we aren't getting rid of all the illegals and we aren't going to stop everyone from entering. 

So the basic rational way of dealing with it is legalizing those who are here now who are behaving themselves, but leave them with a permanent disability such as never being able to naturalize, so they're always at risk of deportation if they later on commit a felony, and implementing a broad-based guest-worker program that allows those who are going to come here anyway to do so legally (and also with a disability such as not allowing time spent under a guest-worker visa to count toward a green card or naturalization).

Offline Applewood

« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2017, 01:07:53 pm »

Government policy created the illegal immigration problem.  It is morally unjust to treat these folks as pariahs - they came here to work.   

Not necessarily.  How many are receiving government handouts?  How many are robbers and murderers? 

And then you have the so-called refugees from the Middle East.  Who knows how many of them are ISIS?

My mother came over from Italy at age 9.  My father was born here, but his parents emigrated from Austria.  They all came here LEGALLY.  They worked, obeyed the law, stayed out of trouble.  Those who are coming here now -- ILLEGALLY -- and those alleged refugees being imported from terrorist countries are here to mooch off the legal, law abiding citizens and in many cases, to commit acts of terrorism and violence.  They were either brought here or encouraged to come here by commie Democrats who want to destroy this nation.  The illegals and alleged refugees will most likely vote Democrat and as more and more of them come in and are eventually allowed to vote, this nation will become a dictatorship. 

You paint this picture of poor immigrants looking for a better life and willing to work hard to get it.  Maybe that was true years ago, but not now.  This country is being overrun and overburdened by people pouring into this country at an unprecedented rate and living off the rest of us.  Eventually, those of us who pay taxes to take care of these people will run out of money.  This country will either collapse under the weight of this burden or be destroyed through violence and terrorism.  Is this what you want for America?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2017, 01:30:21 pm »
Applewood, there are so many canards in your post, and I have too busy a workday to respond in detail.   Try reading the article posted here

No question the law needs to be fixed.  But if you aren't willing to seek a just solution for those who've been here for years, the law won't get fixed.   That's the reality of politics.   Oceander, for example,  has articulated some good, conservative ideas - but how can they be implemented without addressing those who've been lured here by past Government policy, and kept their noses clean? 

Contrary to what some may say,  Trump's election was not an abdication of moral responsibility toward our fellow man.   
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 01:33:29 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2017, 01:37:10 pm »
Applewood, there are so many canards in your post, and I have too busy a workday to respond in detail.   Try reading the article posted here

No question the law needs to be fixed.  But if you aren't willing to seek a just solution for those who've been here for years, the law won't get fixed.   That's the reality of politics.   Oceander, for example,  has articulated some good, conservative ideas - but how can they be implemented without addressing those who've been lured here by past Government policy, and kept their noses clean? 

Contrary to what some may say,  Trump's election was not an abdication of moral responsibility toward our fellow man.   

There is no moral responsibility in aiding and abetting illegal activities. Period.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2017, 01:40:03 pm »

Liberals stick together
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 01:40:23 pm by jpsb »

Offline jpsb

« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2017, 01:44:56 pm »
I don't see the point in wasting billions of dollars and trashing millions of acres of land for the sake of some ego-driven monstrosity.

I also understand the basic fact that unless the US is willing to subject itself to Gestapo-like limitations on freedom, demands for papers, and arrests at random, we aren't getting rid of all the illegals and we aren't going to stop everyone from entering. 

So the basic rational way of dealing with it is legalizing those who are here now who are behaving themselves, but leave them with a permanent disability such as never being able to naturalize, so they're always at risk of deportation if they later on commit a felony, and implementing a broad-based guest-worker program that allows those who are going to come here anyway to do so legally (and also with a disability such as not allowing time spent under a guest-worker visa to count toward a green card or naturalization).

Turn tens of millions into second class citizens huh? And how long do you think that would last? What Ted Cruz was pitching was a bait and switch. The courts would never allow it and neither would the Rats should they ever regain power. Only the uninformed fell for that snake oil pitch from Lying Ted.

Prior to Reagan throwing the rule of law into the trash can with his 86 amnesty we did not have a broken immigration system. All we had to do was periodically sweep up the illegals and send them home like Ike did in Operation Wetback.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 01:48:08 pm by jpsb »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2017, 02:01:42 pm »

Though I fully support Pres. Trump, I'm not a big fan of the wall either, though I have on occasion argued that walls did help certain Eastern European countries stop the flow of out-of-control migration – in particular, Hungary. The difference there was their government was on board getting the fence installed.

I think investing in high tech, enforcement personnel and procedures makes more sense. Look at what stepped up enforcement has already accomplished just since Trump took office, illegal crossings way down.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2017, 03:16:22 pm »
Liberals stick together

So do cretins.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2017, 03:26:36 pm »
cretin -  from French crétin, from Swiss French crestin, from Latin Chrīstiānus Christian, alluding to the humanity of such people, despite their handicaps

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2017, 03:32:08 pm »

You are SO very wrong on this. Amnesty will destroy what is left of the Republicans.

They are not pariahs. They are people. But they are here illegally and we are a nation of laws. There is a 'path to citizenship'. Immigrants do it all the time. Why should these be any different?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2017, 04:11:06 pm »

Cite your statistics, please. Show me where Republicans and Christians are for breaking the law.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2017, 04:18:53 pm »
Just a thought.

We build a big secure wall, including along the southern border of TX. 

Then a big storm comes along.  How does the wall effect flooding?

Just a thought.  How important is a wall?  I know Trump ran on building one but the length of the border and the terrain will make it difficult. 

Maybe walls in certain places combined with increased border patrol, drones, etc. might work as well, along with stricter enforcement on hiring illegals and stricter policies on benefits, along with no citizenship to children of illegals.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #91 on: September 01, 2017, 04:22:27 pm »
Not necessarily.  How many are receiving government handouts?  How many are robbers and murderers? 

And then you have the so-called refugees from the Middle East.  Who knows how many of them are ISIS?

My mother came over from Italy at age 9.  My father was born here, but his parents emigrated from Austria.  They all came here LEGALLY.  They worked, obeyed the law, stayed out of trouble.  Those who are coming here now -- ILLEGALLY -- and those alleged refugees being imported from terrorist countries are here to mooch off the legal, law abiding citizens and in many cases, to commit acts of terrorism and violence.  They were either brought here or encouraged to come here by commie Democrats who want to destroy this nation.  The illegals and alleged refugees will most likely vote Democrat and as more and more of them come in and are eventually allowed to vote, this nation will become a dictatorship. 

You paint this picture of poor immigrants looking for a better life and willing to work hard to get it.  Maybe that was true years ago, but not now.  This country is being overrun and overburdened by people pouring into this country at an unprecedented rate and living off the rest of us.  Eventually, those of us who pay taxes to take care of these people will run out of money.  This country will either collapse under the weight of this burden or be destroyed through violence and terrorism.  Is this what you want for America?

Not to mention the drugs coming over ....  I'm becoming an isolationist.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2017, 04:30:32 pm »
You are SO very wrong on this. Amnesty will destroy what is left of the Republicans.

Anyone who cannot see that there are already forces at work who seek to disenfranchise traditionally minded Americans (not to be confused with republicans) in their own land, and that massive immigration both legal and illegal is part of that effort, is hopelessly naive or just plain dishonest.

Another amnesty, and this one will be huge, will be the icing on that cake.

At this stage it seems silly to even have to point it out.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 04:30:57 pm by skeeter »

Online libertybele

« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2017, 04:56:25 pm »

Actually the fence was voted on in 2006 and passed by both Houses and signed.  Funding has been slow to non-existent.  Trashing land?  Seriously?  Have you been to the border?  Many areas are 'trashed' from debris by illegals.  You're not going to harm the land by putting in a viable fence, it would keep traffic (foot and vehicle) to a minimum, give me a break here!  That's ridiculous.

Secondly, with a wall, that is a visible barrier.  Building a wall and making it known to the Mexican government that those crossing over illegally will be considered any enemy of the U.S would send a very clear message.

For Congress to say they're going to have to dip into the budget to pay for Harvey that would have gone to the wall is absolutely pure B.S.!!! It's an excuse.  Millions are pouring into TX from private donations, corporations, individuals and even President Trump himself.  I'm not saying TX has all the money it needs by any means, all I'm saying is Congress is trying to use Harvey to their benefit. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2017, 05:07:52 pm »
Just a thought.  How important is a wall?  I know Trump ran on building one but the length of the border and the terrain will make it difficult. 

There won't be a wall, so fighting about it is a waste of time.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2017, 05:09:06 pm »
Anyone who cannot see that there are already forces at work who seek to disenfranchise traditionally minded Americans (not to be confused with republicans) in their own land, and that massive immigration both legal and illegal is part of that effort, is hopelessly naive or just plain dishonest.

QFT.

Oceander

« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2017, 05:12:35 pm »
Actually the fence was voted on in 2006 and passed by both Houses and signed.  Funding has been slow to non-existent.  Trashing land?  Seriously?  Have you been to the border?  Many areas are 'trashed' from debris by illegals.  You're not going to harm the land by putting in a viable fence, it would keep traffic (foot and vehicle) to a minimum, give me a break here!  That's ridiculous.

Secondly, with a wall, that is a visible barrier.  Building a wall and making it known to the Mexican government that those crossing over illegally will be considered any enemy of the U.S would send a very clear message.

For Congress to say they're going to have to dip into the budget to pay for Harvey that would have gone to the wall is absolutely pure B.S.!!! It's an excuse.  Millions are pouring into TX from private donations, corporations, individuals and even President Trump himself.  I'm not saying TX has all the money it needs by any means, all I'm saying is Congress is trying to use Harvey to their benefit. 

:bigsilly:

So now it's a fence, is it?

Heck, if everyone in the US just donated a 2x4 and a single picket, we could have a nice little white picket fence built in no time.

Walls and fences on the border should be used strategically to prevent dangerous crossings, and in conjunction with a rational guest-worker visa program, not as some fetish for the construction of a false Fortress America. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2017, 05:17:12 pm »

Drama queen. 

Online libertybele

« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2017, 05:36:08 pm »
:bigsilly:

So now it's a fence, is it?

Heck, if everyone in the US just donated a 2x4 and a single picket, we could have a nice little white picket fence built in no time.

Walls and fences on the border should be used strategically to prevent dangerous crossings, and in conjunction with a rational guest-worker visa program, not as some fetish for the construction of a false Fortress America.

Really??  That's your argument?  Wall vs. fence?  Pardon me.  Please insert wall where I mentioned fence.  Same difference.  You argument is frankly, quite foolish.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2017, 06:13:15 pm »
Not was, is - he's 91 this year.   Yeah, he's a Mexican immigrant - he was a gardener - and still speaks with such a thick accent that I can barely understand him.  But he raised eight kids - ALL of whom graduated from college, including one from Yale and two from Stanford.   So forgive me if I get a bit perturbed at all the Mexican immigrant-bashing I see around here.   These folks are STRIVERS, and are part of the fabric that helps make this country great, IMO.
I bash only those who are illegal.  No immigrant should be bashed if they are legally here, whether from green cards or becoming citizens.

You are way, way off base with saying  1. All immigrants are just decent people,STRIVERS(whatever that means)  and 2. Because all they want to do is work hard, somehow deserve to be here.

There are 7 billion other people in the world that want to be here in America.  Getting them all to live here will not make this country great.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington