Author Topic: House GOP eyeing $1B disaster funds cut to finance wall  (Read 7553 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: House GOP eyeing $1B disaster funds cut to finance wall
« Reply #125 on: September 03, 2017, 05:04:06 am »
The US government does not have a revenue problem, they have a spending problem.  Because they treat the national debt separately from other spending, whether it be discretionary or not, they spend and spend like crazy. Then they remember they have to borrow more to pay the debt. There is enough revenue taking in by the government that should easily pay normal obligations.  It will never change until they are forced to have a balanced budget to include paying the debt.
From personal experience, there are those times when revenue does not equal outflow, but the outflow can be cut or revenue increased by making an investment, even if that is done on credit.

In the future, through savings, that investment will pay for itself. Some see that as a more reliable vehicle, for some it is the purchase of tools to fix things which would cost far more, A student loan is a common example to obtain the qualifications for a better job or higher pay.
A means, including a physical barrier, of controlling the influx of people who cost the taxpayer in services, criminal activity, drug trafficking, and a host of other ways, is an investment in America's future.
So, too, is the restoration of functionality, not just to the industry of flood affected areas, but to the daily lives of the millions of people who have been affected by this flood, and the restoration of the economic dynamics involved in such a large community.

It isn't a question of which can be paid for, we cannot afford to shirk either.
If cuts must be made elsewhere, so be it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #126 on: September 03, 2017, 12:30:12 pm »
From personal experience, there are those times when revenue does not equal outflow, but the outflow can be cut or revenue increased by making an investment, even if that is done on credit.

In the future, through savings, that investment will pay for itself. Some see that as a more reliable vehicle, for some it is the purchase of tools to fix things which would cost far more, A student loan is a common example to obtain the qualifications for a better job or higher pay.
A means, including a physical barrier, of controlling the influx of people who cost the taxpayer in services, criminal activity, drug trafficking, and a host of other ways, is an investment in America's future.
So, too, is the restoration of functionality, not just to the industry of flood affected areas, but to the daily lives of the millions of people who have been affected by this flood, and the restoration of the economic dynamics involved in such a large community.

It isn't a question of which can be paid for, we cannot afford to shirk either.
If cuts must be made elsewhere, so be it.
I'm for doing both. Cut elsewhere, except national defense because it is the only spending mandated by the constitution. But the congress critters in DC, want to make it look like we're throwing grandma off a cliff if they touch any other program funds. As long as they keep the freebies on the books, the leftist progressives will perpetuate their stranglehold on their seats.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #127 on: September 03, 2017, 01:14:25 pm »
The US government does not have a revenue problem, they have a spending problem.  Because they treat the national debt separately from other spending, whether it be discretionary or not, they spend and spend like crazy. Then they remember they have to borrow more to pay the debt. There is enough revenue taking in by the government that should easily pay normal obligations.  It will never change until they are forced to have a balanced budget to include paying the debt.
You are not getting any argument on any of that from me.  We are. by definition, broke, however.  A prior poster said we were so broke that we could not afford a wall and hurricane relief, but that is not an argument at all as we proceed to spend money we do not have anyway.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Oceander

« Reply #128 on: September 03, 2017, 01:15:48 pm »
I'm for doing both. Cut elsewhere, except national defense because it is the only spending mandated by the constitution. But the congress critters in DC, want to make it look like we're throwing grandma off a cliff if they touch any other program funds. As long as they keep the freebies on the books, the leftist progressives will perpetuate their stranglehold on their seats.

Where in the Constitution is military spending mandated?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #129 on: September 03, 2017, 06:02:24 pm »
Preamble: "...to provide for the Common Defense...".  What isn't mandated is 'nation building'.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Oceander

« Reply #130 on: September 03, 2017, 06:05:20 pm »
Preamble: "...to provide for the Common Defense...".  What isn't mandated is 'nation building'.

That doesn't mandate military spending, it merely permits it.  And if nation building advances the goal of providing for the common defense, then nation-building falls under that rubric too.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #131 on: September 03, 2017, 06:14:21 pm »

"The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States;"

"Shall be" makes the requirement of having at least an Army and Navy.

Oceander

« Reply #132 on: September 03, 2017, 06:30:54 pm »
"The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States;"

"Shall be" makes the requirement of having at least an Army and Navy.

No, it doesn't.  It requires only that IF there is an Army and/or Navy, then the president is CinC.  It doesn't mandate that there be an Army or a Navy. 

Offline LMAO

« Reply #133 on: September 03, 2017, 06:33:52 pm »
Oceander is  right

In fact is there anything in the Constitution  that mandates Congressional spending? I've been unable to find anything in the constitution that says "Congress must fund  X,Y and Z program"
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 06:38:55 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #134 on: September 03, 2017, 06:49:38 pm »
No, it doesn't.  It requires only that IF there is an Army and/or Navy, then the president is CinC.  It doesn't mandate that there be an Army or a Navy.

There is no *if*.  There already was an Army and a Navy.  Is there any indication that they were to be dissolved?  No.  But there is a lot of inference throughout that they were to be continued

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #135 on: September 03, 2017, 07:15:56 pm »
"To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;  To provide and maintain a Navy;"

Sounds to me like the idea was to have a permanent Navy, and to raise "an" army as necessary.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #136 on: September 03, 2017, 07:29:04 pm »
That doesn't mandate military spending, it merely permits it.  And if nation building advances the goal of providing for the common defense, then nation-building falls under that rubric too.
How is the meddling in another country's most seminal affairs "defense". If you want to go down that path, you could justify the assassination of any national leader out there who doesn't toady up to the US.
That ain't it.
If you are going to defend a country, that will cost some money, to train, maintain, and supply forces sufficient to that task. "Provide" means some expenditure will be made. That. by no means gives us a mandate to mess around in Lower Slobovia telling them how to structure their government. If we need to address a threat to our nation, go in, break things and kill people until the threat is neutralized, and go home. A lingering presence implies conquest, and that isn't in the Constitution.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #137 on: September 03, 2017, 07:44:42 pm »
"To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;  To provide and maintain a Navy;"

Sounds to me like the idea was to have a permanent Navy, and to raise "an" army as necessary.
A navy was seen as necessary to safeguard commerce and repel invaders. That need was perceived as one which all colonies(States) shared.

One of the big arguments was about having a standing Federal Army, and if so, how large that force was to be.

It was discussed at length in The Federalist Papers, and the decision was to have a Federal Army large enough to settle or intervene in conflicts between States, which had their own armies, called "Militia", (which is defined in Barclay's English Dictionary, (London, mine is ca.1820) as "The army, in its entirety"), but not so large as to present a threat to the Liberty of any State.
The founders had just been engaged in a war to remove an occupying Army (British), and were ever conscious of the threat such power posed to Liberty if concentrated in the wrong hands. As a safeguard, each State had an Army, the Federal Government had its Army, and everyone, together had the Federal Navy.

Beyond that, however, "A well regulated (controlled) Militia being necessary to the security of a Free State,..." [keep the military in check and you stay free], "...the Right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. " provided that the overwhelming remainder of the population would be armed for the purpose of keeping any threat to Liberty posed by internal forces (be those State or Federal militaries) would be able to be countered by the People, thus safeguarding their Liberty for posterity.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #138 on: September 03, 2017, 08:15:44 pm »
A 2013 report by The Heritage Foundation.

In terms of public policy and government deficits, an important figure is the aggregate annual deficit for all unlawful immigrant households. This equals the total benefits and services received by all unlawful immigrant households minus the total taxes paid by those households.

Under current law, all unlawful immigrant households together have an aggregate annual deficit of around $54.5 billion.

In the interim phase (roughly the first 13 years after amnesty), the aggregate annual deficit would fall to $43.4 billion.

At the end of the interim phase, former unlawful immigrant households would become fully eligible for means-tested welfare and health care benefits under the Affordable Care Act. The aggregate annual deficit would soar to around $106 billion.

In the retirement phase, the annual aggregate deficit would be around $160 billion. It would slowly decline as former unlawful immigrants gradually expire.

So now someone can explain to me how a wall is "unaffordable".

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline libertybele

« Reply #139 on: September 03, 2017, 08:45:14 pm »

When Constitutional issues come up, I usually refer to the Heritage Foundation:

...." Most Americans had to memorize the preamble to the Constitution when they were children, so they are aware that one of the purposes of the document was to “provide for the common defense.” But they are not aware of the extent to which the document shows the Founders’ concern for national security.

Providing for the Common Defense

In brief, the Constitution says three things about the responsibility of the federal government for the national defense.

National defense is the priority job of the national government. Article One, Section Eight of the Constitution lists 17 separate powers that are granted to the Congress. Six of those powers deal exclusively with the national defense— ...........

http://www.heritage.org/defense/report/constitutional-basis-defense
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 09:23:48 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #140 on: September 03, 2017, 08:51:36 pm »
When Constitutional issues come up, I usually refer to the Heritage Foundation:

...." Most Americans had to memorize the preamble to the Constitution when they were children, so they are aware that one of the purposes of the document was to “provide for the common defense.” But they are not aware of the extent to which the document shows the Founders’ concern for national security.

Providing for the Common Defense

In brief, the Constitution says three things about the responsibility of the federal government for the national defense.

National defense is the priority job of the national government. Article One, Section Eight of the Constitution lists 17 separate powers that are granted to the Congress. Six of those powers deal exclusively with the national defense— ...........

http://www.heritage.org/defense/report/constitutional-basis-defense

The info at your link explains it well.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley