Author Topic: House GOP eyeing $1B disaster funds cut to finance wall  (Read 7556 times)

Offline DB

Re: House GOP eyeing $1B disaster funds cut to finance wall
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2017, 09:36:47 am »

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2017, 10:44:42 am »
It's being reported that the damage estimate could be $160 billion. 

The wall can wait.

Besides Mexico was supposed to be paying for the stupid wall.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Oceander

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2017, 10:45:40 am »

Exactly

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2017, 12:07:35 pm »
The problem with congress is in the details. They may start with a certain number for Hurricane Harvey, but when the silly thieves add marks to divert a dime for study of the impact of rainwater on flies in Maine, or turtles in Kentucky, soon there is only a couple dimes left for disaster help. Then that is used by local officials to rebuild disaster operations centers.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2017, 12:15:35 pm »
Heck, let's be honest with ourselves - immigrants will be needed, and in huge numbers, to rebuild Texas. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2017, 12:22:02 pm »
As far as I'm concerned the feds shouldn't be in the business of paying for acts of God and Texans should be the ones saying it the loudest.

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2017, 01:33:59 pm »
Heck, let's be honest with ourselves - immigrants will be needed, and in huge numbers, to rebuild Texas.

Yes, I'm being real honest; illegals aren't wanted or needed to rebuild this country.  Lots of jobs opening up in TX and other jobs opening up to help rebuild TX; why would we give them to the illegals?  Maybe we can get the illegals to help build the wall... but from the other side.  :seeya:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2017, 01:36:28 pm »
Well there's a limited amount of money.

Since when?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2017, 01:43:37 pm »
Yes, I'm being real honest; illegals aren't wanted or needed to rebuild this country.  Lots of jobs opening up in TX and

Latinos get Little Thanks for Rebuilding New Orleans

You may not want them; that's your problem.  But if past is prologue, thousands of Mexican immigrants will be needed to rebuild Texas.   But will they be scared off by Trump immigration enforcement policies?   That could exacerbate the crisis in Texas,  with no one to cart off debris and install new drywall in flooded homes.  Prices for home repair borne by ordinary Texans - many without flood insurance - will soar.    Don't let your dislike of Mexican immigrants blind you to the reality that Texans will need these folks, soon and in great  numbers.   
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 01:45:26 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2017, 01:52:05 pm »
Texas already has thousands of illegals and they are filling the Welfare rolls, not rebuilding. .
Countdown to Resignation

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2017, 02:59:04 pm »
Take the billion from the EPA instead. They certainly do not need it.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2017, 03:01:50 pm »
Texas already has thousands +million of illegals and they are filling the Welfare rolls, not rebuilding. .
https://www.texastribune.org/2015/01/28/undocumented-population-demographics/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2017, 03:03:47 pm »
That is a ridiculous, stupid statement.

When did Americans, much less Texans become that dependent?

You are lifting the curtain wide open to display your liberalism, for all the world to see.

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2017, 03:04:50 pm »

Why?  We are being invaded, so you want to just buckle under and take it instead?

Offline jpsb

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2017, 03:08:56 pm »

Do you live in Texas? South East Texas to be exact?

Offline jpsb

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2017, 03:11:58 pm »
Yes, I'm being real honest; illegals aren't wanted or needed to rebuild this country.  Lots of jobs opening up in TX and other jobs opening up to help rebuild TX; why would we give them to the illegals?  Maybe we can get the illegals to help build the wall... but from the other side.  :seeya:

Correct illegals are not needed there a plenty of out of work Americans that can rebuild whatever needs building in Tx and La. All the illegals do is put Americans out of work.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 03:18:45 pm by jpsb »

Offline jpsb

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2017, 03:15:41 pm »

You may not want them; that's your problem.  But if past is prologue, thousands of Mexican immigrants will be needed to rebuild Texas.   But will they be scared off by Trump immigration enforcement policies?   That could exacerbate the crisis in Texas,  with no one to cart off debris and install new drywall in flooded homes.  Prices for home repair borne by ordinary Texans - many without flood insurance - will soar.    Don't let your dislike of Mexican immigrants blind you to the reality that Texans will need these folks, soon and in great  numbers.

As usual you are full of it. How did we rebuild prior to President Reagan opening the borders in 86?

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2017, 03:31:04 pm »

@Jazzhead
So mexicans are only good for doing that work?    I guess I shouldn't be surprised, most leftist are racists.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline bilo

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2017, 03:50:50 pm »
It's being reported that the damage estimate could be $160 billion. 

The wall can wait.

Nonsense. They are 2 unrelated issues.

A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2017, 03:56:30 pm »

Cut welfare spending and there will be plenty of labor available.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Applewood

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2017, 04:22:45 pm »

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2017, 04:27:10 pm »
Nonsense. They are 2 unrelated issues.

Really?  People are going to need money to rebuild -- a lot of money.  Something has to give. 

Instead of spending on a wall, how about enforcing the laws already on the books against illegal immigration?  That is what Trump supporters should be insisting upon.  Hasn't it been long ugh that this country hasn't been enforcing the laws?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2017, 04:31:25 pm »
Cut welfare spending and there will be plenty of labor available.

Guess you have the same cynical attitude towards American labor as many employers do.   Let's not forget -  immigrants come here because employers love 'em.  They show up for work on time, and work hard.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2017, 04:33:41 pm »
@Jazzhead
So mexicans are only good for doing that work?    I guess I shouldn't be surprised, most leftist are racists.

Where did you get that  from?  See the article I linked to - after Katrina,  it was immigrant labor that rebuilt New Orleans.   And it'll be, no doubt, the same in Texas.   Whether they'll be appreciated for that hard work is the question - but you're not, I'm sure, any kind of racist.   *****rollingeyes*****
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 04:34:11 pm by Jazzhead »