Author Topic: GOP Concedes to Obama on Net Neutrality  (Read 9317 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: GOP Concedes to Obama on Net Neutrality
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2015, 03:28:32 am »
Net neutrality means that nobody can decide some information is better than other information on the internet and then give preferential treatment to the information they like. Whatever the FCC is doing, that's not net neutrality. I think the double speak is being used to get people to turn on something that is good and has helped us enjoy a free internet since its creation.

You say we have net neutrality now?

I can buy better outcome from search engines.

I can buy faster transfer speeds for my house and business

I can buy better, more efficient web sites by buying more space.

I can buy more bandwidth.

If the statement highlighted in your post is true, then how can all the things I posted also be true?

"Neutrality" is an artificial concept in almost any application you may assign to it.

From survival of the fittest to the toys of the richest, those that are stronger, faster, smarter and richer will always have more than those who are not.

It's the natural order of things.

January 14, 2014 - A federal appeals court has struck down the Federal Communications Commission's net neutrality rules, which prohibited Internet providers from blocking or prioritizing Web traffic.

The decision on Tuesday is the latest in a lengthy legal battle over whether the FCC can regulate the Internet. In an opinion written by Judge David Tatel, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia found that the network neutrality rules contradicted a previous FCC decision that put broadband companies beyond its regulatory reach.

"Given that the Commission has chosen to classify broadband providers in a manner that exempts them from treatment as common carriers," Tatel wrote, "the Communications Act expressly prohibits the Commission from nonetheless regulating them as such."

We don't have "net neutrality" now, what we have is a largely unregulated Internet where the few remaining vestiges of true free market concepts still thrive.

And the Federal government can't stand that.

The government is engaged in doublespeak to get some people to support their argument that more regulations = freer Internet.

It is absurd to argue or believe that a more regulated, largely out of the reach of the Federal government Internet, equals a more free Internet
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2015, 04:20:23 am »

If the statement highlighted in your post is true, then how can all the things I posted also be true?

"Neutrality" is an artificial concept in almost any application you may assign to it.

From survival of the fittest to the toys of the richest, those that are stronger, faster, smarter and richer will always have more than those who are not.

We don't have "net neutrality" now, what we have is a largely unregulated Internet where the few remaining vestiges of true free market concepts still thrive.

The government is engaged in doublespeak to get some people to support their argument that more regulations = freer Internet.

It is absurd to argue or believe that a more regulated, largely out of the reach of the Federal government Internet, equals a more free Internet

I'm done arguing about it. If you want to stand against reality and believe the internet does not currently operate under net neutrality that is of course your prerogative. We'll see how nice things are after it gets handed over to the cable companies.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 04:23:09 am by Dex4974 »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2015, 04:41:56 am »
I'm done arguing about it. If you want to stand against reality and believe the internet does not currently operate under net neutrality that is of course your prerogative. We'll see how nice things are after it gets handed over to the cable companies.

How can someone access the Internet without using a cable company or some other company?

Who developed the hardware, software and pipelines that you access the Internet through right now?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline aligncare

« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2015, 10:14:35 am »

God bless you, Luis. Wonderful post. Distilled the argument beautifully.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2015, 12:59:12 pm »
The big cable companies are the ones behind the push to regulate.  Knocks the little guys out and leaves them with a bigger piece of the pie....

Exactly like how big insurance supported Obamacare.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #130 on: February 26, 2015, 01:00:33 pm »

I was trying to find a good way to put it and you summed it up.