Author Topic: GOP Concedes to Obama on Net Neutrality  (Read 9319 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP Concedes to Obama on Net Neutrality
« on: February 25, 2015, 02:57:03 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=626719

Newsmax
GOP Concedes to Obama on Net Neutrality
Wednesday, February 25, 2015 06:26 AM

By: Elliot Jager

Republicans, acknowledging that they are — for now — unable to win a grueling fight, are giving way on net neutrality.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is set to vote Thursday to regulate Internet service as a public good, applying controls similar to the ones it uses on utilities.

Republicans, led by Sen. John Thune of South Dakota, admit that they have no legislative workaround to the Democratic-controlled FCC in the absence of a bipartisan congressional consensus, The New York Times reported.

"We're not going to get a signed bill that doesn't have Democrats' support," Thune said.

Democrats, led by President Barack Obama, and backed by new media firms such as Twitter, Tumblr, and Reddit, favor imposing FCC regulation so that companies that control the broadband world — Comcast, Verizon, and Time Warner Cable, for example — can be blocked from charging for faster delivery to transport their content.

The argument in favor of net neutrality is that poorer companies and news outlets that can't afford to pay for fast-lane services will quickly lose impatient customers to those who can.

Opponents of the impending FCC decision say that Internet overregulation will reduce incentives for necessary continued investment to speed up Internet access, and that regulation might further lead to taxation of web services.

Brian Dietz, a spokesman for the National Cable & Telecommunications Association, said that the pro-net neutrality camp was able to frame the debate. It took the thorny issue of how to keep the Internet efficient, and made it appear that opponents were against a free Internet.

"Many of the things they have said just belie reality and common sense," Dietz told the Times.

While the FCC's Democratic chairman, Tom Wheeler, is expected to win Thursday's vote, cable companies and Internet service providers can be expected to take the matter to court.

Congress, for now, can do little to reverse the FCC. But down the line, a Republican-leaning commission might do just that, the Times reported.

At this stage, Democratic claims that Internet gatekeepers have to be regulated by the FCC to prevent them from discriminating among competing companies has overwhelmed conservative warnings that "heavy-handed regulation" and potential taxation will stymie the Internet, the Times reported.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: GOP Concedes to Obama on Net Neutrality
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 02:57:45 pm »
Just great!...another cave........wonder how long this site will last :smokin:
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 03:04:56 pm »
We're losing our country, one bureaucratic regulation at a time.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 03:06:29 pm »
I tried to warn everybody about McConnell.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 03:10:28 pm »
I tried to warn everybody about McConnell.

Yes you did Alice but the fact is that it's not just McConnell who is the problem! It's the entire, inside the beltway establishment crowd, and it matters not what letter is behind their names!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 03:44:36 pm »

Well, we do have Anonymous on our side. 

Maybe they (and others like them) are what this is all about in the first place...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Longiron

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 04:09:34 pm »
Yes you did Alice but the fact is that it's not just McConnell who is the problem! It's the entire, inside the beltway establishment crowd, and it matters not what letter is behind their names!

You are correct it is more the McConnell. However, everyone out side of KY wanted McConnell defeated even if a DEM won. He was the one RINO that needed taken out but that did not happen. So thank you KY and the worst is still to come from this scumbag RINO leader. The people should be able to vote in DEC for the leaders of the HOUSE and SENATE by a special election and only those registered to that party can vote for the leaders. Has about much chance of that happing as term limits ????  **nononono*
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 04:11:20 pm by Longiron »

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 04:17:19 pm »
Net neutrality is a good thing and you don't completely understand the issue if you think otherwise. The GOP caved because a lot of their voter base understands the net neutrality issue and didn't want them to side with the cable companies. Without net neutrality the government and cable companies would have been able to secure even more control over the internet. The entire argument that this will somehow lead to higher taxes is complete baloney probably made up by somebody that was being paid by cable companies to figure out a way to mislead people on this issue.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 04:44:10 pm by Dex4974 »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 04:20:30 pm »

Well, we do have Anonymous on our side. 

Maybe they (and others like them) are what this is all about in the first place...

Anonymous supports net neutrality.
-Socrates

Offline Relic

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 04:21:20 pm »
Just great!...another cave........wonder how long this site will last :smokin:

Net neutrality is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Leaving Comcast and Time Warner to their own devices isn't good for the consumer.

Giving the FCC the ability to regulate the internet has it's own obvious downside.

I'm no expert, but I favor net neutrality.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 04:22:25 pm »
Net neutrality is a good thing and you don't completely understand the issue if you think otherwise. The GOP caved because a lot of their voter base understands the net neutrality issue and didn't want them to side with the cable companies. Without net neutrality the government and cable companies would have been able to secure even more control over the internet.

Sure it is! But exactly WHO is it a good thing for Dex?

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Dexter

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 04:23:34 pm »

Everybody but the cable companies that want to monopolize the internet and hand it to the government.
-Socrates

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 04:25:40 pm »
Everybody but the cable companies that want to monopolize the internet and hand it to the government.

As usual you are completely full of BS!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Dexter

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 04:25:43 pm »
Net neutrality is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Leaving Comcast and Time Warner to their own devices isn't good for the consumer.

Giving the FCC the ability to regulate the internet has it's own obvious downside.

I'm no expert, but I favor net neutrality.

We cannot allow the cable companies to take over and ransack the internet. It also opens the doors for them to be able to block certain content because of the way their fast lanes work. If you want internet censorship like China has then you should not support net neutrality. If you want information to be treated equally you should absolutely support net neutrality. 
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 04:26:33 pm »
As usual you are completely full of BS!

You've been manipulated by the people that want to seize control of the internet.
-Socrates

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 04:27:14 pm »
Everyone needs to read this...

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,163350.0.html
 Rush: Obama Exploits the Ignorance of Young People to Seize Control of the Internet
Support the USO

Offline Relic

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 04:29:14 pm »

TBR is a winner in net neutrality.

The internet is configured like the interstate system. You are responsible for the car you drive (computer), and how you get to the interstate, (your ISP). Once on the interstate, you have the ability to go as fast as anyone else.

Without net neutrality, there would be speed lanes, that would cost extra. The left lane would be top speed, and cost the most. The middle lanes, speed limited to 50 mph, and cost a little less. The right lane would be 25mph and would be the cheapest, and most clogged. Under that model, sites like TBR would likely be in the slow lane, while FOXNEWS, MSNBC, and CNN would be in the fast lane.

The investment issue is kind of dubious, since the internet has evolved this far with net neutrality as the de facto standard.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 04:31:03 pm »
Everyone needs to read this...

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,163350.0.html
 Rush: Obama Exploits the Ignorance of Young People to Seize Control of the Internet

Rush is completely full of crap. Where has anybody said anything about needing licenses for websites? They have flipped it upside down; they're lying to you. Allowing the cable companies to prioritize what information we have access to is what is truly going to lead to government control of the internet. This is so important; we can't screw this up. Anonymous, the hacker organization that has completely devoted itself to making sure the internet is not taken over by the government understands this issue and supports net neutrality. Please don't allow yourself to be fooled, because rest assured they will be back and they will try again.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 04:36:19 pm by Dex4974 »
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 04:37:42 pm »
The investment issue is kind of dubious, since the internet has evolved this far with net neutrality as the de facto standard.

A lot of people don't understand that net neutrality is already the law of the land. The cable companies want to change it.
-Socrates

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 04:45:37 pm »
Rush is completely full of crap. Where has anybody said anything about needing licenses for websites? They have flipped it upside down; they're lying to you. Allowing the cable companies to prioritize what information we have access to is what is truly going to lead to government control of the internet. This is so important; we can't screw this up. Anonymous, the hacker organization that has completely devoted itself to making sure the internet is not taken over by the government understands this issue and supports net neutrality. Please don't allow yourself to be fooled, because rest assured they will be back and they will try again.

No one even knows what is in these over 300 pages...pass it to find out...sound familiar?....do you really want the government involved in the internet...please!.....btw..please link me to what Anonymous says...last I heard they were fighting this.

Support the USO

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 04:46:37 pm »
ANYONE who believes that ANYTHING proposed by any government agency controlled by Obama appointees is going to be good for them is flat out {{{{{{{C R A Z Y }}}}}}}!!!!!!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2015, 04:48:55 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpB1catq2rI
Anonymous: The FCC Killing Net Neutrality
Support the USO

Offline flowers

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 04:50:59 pm »
This is all about control of speech. They cannot stand we can get the truth on the net and they NEED to control it. That is what all this is about and anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. 

Offline Dexter

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 04:51:31 pm »
No one even knows what is in these over 300 pages...pass it to find out...sound familiar?....do you really want the government involved in the internet...please!.....btw..please link me to what Anonymous says...last I heard they were fighting this.

I don't think any regulations on the internet need to be passed at all; we just need to leave net neutrality alone. The powers that be want to turn you against net neutrality. Anonymous absolutely supports net neutrality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CMFabT7Tyk

Please find me anything on the internet that indicates that anonymous supports getting rid of net neutrality. You won't find anything legitimate because they completely support net neutrality and have been making that known for years. They are a big part of the reason people actually understand the threat involved with getting rid of it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 05:44:45 pm by Dex4974 »
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 04:52:47 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpB1catq2rI
Anonymous: The FCC Killing Net Neutrality

You do know the link you provided shows that anonymous supports net neutrality, yes?
-Socrates