Author Topic: GOP Concedes to Obama on Net Neutrality  (Read 9366 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Re: GOP Concedes to Obama on Net Neutrality
« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2015, 10:05:45 pm »
I think that is why we are having this debate.

So you support net neutrality in its current form without the FCC regulations? (just like I do)
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2015, 10:07:28 pm »
Exactly....not hard for me to understand. No mater what is the rule now net neutrality or not.....If a site is deemed "offensive", the provider will be fined up the whazoo, unless said content is shut-off from the public.

That is why net neutrality (AS IT IS NOW WITHOUT THE FCC REGULATIONS) needs to be left alone. The double speak is actually being used to turn people on net neutrality, which is actually a good thing. Net neutrality is not a regulation; the 300+ pages of nonsense the FCC wants to pass are regulations.
-Socrates

Offline aligncare

« Reply #102 on: February 25, 2015, 10:07:33 pm »
I think that is why we are having this debate.

Yes, exactly.

You know, until the government regulators came along pushing net neutrality, I didn't know just how terrible the cable companies were treating me. /s

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2015, 10:09:15 pm »
So, if I post,, 'Hey I really like Rubio/Cruz/Walker, then I am forced to post by government that I equally support Hillary? Even though I really want her to smoke shit and die?

What does 'neutral' mean?

Are we ants, in a colony? Are we bees in a hive?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2015, 10:09:38 pm »
Yes, exactly.

You know, until the government regulators came along pushing net neutrality, I didn't know just how terrible the cable companies were treating me. /s

So we have determined that there are two understandings of what net neutrality is, yes? We have what the FCC is trying to pass, which is not good, and we have net neutrality as it always has been on the internet. Do you support the latter? Nobody here supports the FCC regulations. I am trying to ascertain whether or not people here understand that net neutrality (not what the FCC is trying to pass) is a good thing.
-Socrates

Offline aligncare

« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2015, 10:10:17 pm »
We're not children here. We understand net neutrality is short hand for the proposed changes to FCC regulations.

We all like and appreciate 'net neutrality'.

What we hate is red tape in an area that currently has none.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:13:07 pm by aligncare »

Offline flowers

« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2015, 10:11:45 pm »

Let me say...............I don't care whatever it is or called. Tomorrow all on the net will be controlled by the regime soon.  Only the sites they deem OK for the masses will be allowed and not fined up the wazzoo. How long until they go for the bank accounts of those deemed to wealthy? Net neutrality good or bad , tomorrow all changes. They win. Once again.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2015, 10:12:34 pm »
We're not children here. We understand net neutrality is short hand for the proposed changes to FCC regulations.

We all like and appreciate 'net neutrality'.

We we hate is more red tape in an area that currently has none.

If you support net neutrality as it is now (without FCC regulation) then you cannot at the same time support what the cable companies want to do. They want to get rid of net neutrality as it is now so they can create new standards for the internet.
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2015, 10:16:13 pm »
So, if I post,, 'Hey I really like Rubio/Cruz/Walker, then I am forced to post by government that I equally support Hillary? Even though I really want her to smoke shit and die?

What does 'neutral' mean?

Are we ants, in a colony? Are we bees in a hive?

Net neutrality means that nobody can decide some information is better than other information on the internet and then give preferential treatment to the information they like. Whatever the FCC is doing, that's not net neutrality. I think the double speak is being used to get people to turn on something that is good and has helped us enjoy a free internet since its creation.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:18:26 pm by Dex4974 »
-Socrates

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2015, 10:18:31 pm »
All through history, there have been times like this.

We are experiencing history itself.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline flowers

« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2015, 10:45:13 pm »
All through history, there have been times like this.

We are experiencing history itself.
Yes we are. Off topic I watched Night Will Fall last night.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2015, 11:42:33 pm »
Net neutrality means that nobody can decide some information is better than other information on the internet and then give preferential treatment to the information they like.

That's the propaganda of what Net Neutrality is.  Even that propaganda is pretty bogus once you scratch the surface.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2015, 11:55:32 pm »
Net neutrality means that nobody can decide some information is better than other information on the internet and then give preferential treatment to the information they like. Whatever the FCC is doing, that's not net neutrality. I think the double speak is being used to get people to turn on something that is good and has helped us enjoy a free internet since its creation.

Follow the money Dex.  It is about taxes (revenue enhancements).  The feds have tried for years to get a tax on internet usage and by classifying the internet as a utility, they get to tax it, and they will tax it heavily (use tax, excise tax and sales tax).  No matter how it gets twisted that is the end game.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2015, 12:04:28 am »
Follow the money Dex.  It is about taxes (revenue enhancements).  The feds have tried for years to get a tax on internet usage and by classifying the internet as a utility, they get to tax it, and they will tax it heavily (use tax, excise tax and sales tax).  No matter how it gets twisted that is the end game.

I think the FCC AND the cable companies should leave the internet alone.
-Socrates

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2015, 12:07:31 am »

Yeah, and I thought Obama should leave our healthcare alone...and that happened..../s
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2015, 12:15:32 am »

The big cable companies are the ones behind the push to regulate.  Knocks the little guys out and leaves them with a bigger piece of the pie....

Offline Dexter

« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2015, 12:23:40 am »
The big cable companies are the ones behind the push to regulate.  Knocks the little guys out and leaves them with a bigger piece of the pie....

Indeed.
-Socrates

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2015, 12:37:34 am »

Big companies are always in favor of regulation for this very reason.  Makes the cost of entry higher and reduces competition.

Peeps never learn...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Dexter

« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2015, 12:43:20 am »
Big companies are always in favor of regulation for this very reason.  Makes the cost of entry higher and reduces competition.

Peeps never learn...

:thumbsup:
-Socrates

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2015, 03:00:00 am »
alice wrote above:
[[ I tried to warn everybody about McConnell. ]]

It's now almost two months since the "new Republican majority" assumed office, and they've led the way from one defeat to another to the next.

Unless something happens to change this progression 180 degrees in the next 3-4 months or so, I'm going on record today to predict a BIG Republican loss in election year 2016.

The American people are simply going to turn away from the Republicans -- who they thought would put a brake on the Obammunists -- with a "what's the use?" shrug of the shoulders.

Even a strong Republican presidential candidate in 2016 (and I think Scott Walker might be the strongest) may not be enough.

Voters will mutter "we gave you the House, and we voted you into the majority in the Senate, and you STILL didn't make a stand. Why should we bother giving you the presidency as a reward?"

If the Republican party loses the presidency in 2016, it may be quite some time before they win it again, if ever.

But unless there's a reversal of fortune in the Congress, and unless the Republicans there begin acting as a majority and using every reserve of the powers they may yet retain against an out-of-control presidency, they don't have a chance in '16...

Hopefully, I'll be proven wrong.
But I think not....

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2015, 03:01:51 am »
alice wrote above:
[[ I tried to warn everybody about McConnell. ]]

It's now almost two months since the "new Republican majority" assumed office, and they've led the way from one defeat to another to the next.

Unless something happens to change this progression 180 degrees in the next 3-4 months or so, I'm going on record today to predict a BIG Republican loss in election year 2016.

The American people are simply going to turn away from the Republicans -- who they thought would put a brake on the Obammunists -- with a "what's the use?" shrug of the shoulders.

Even a strong Republican presidential candidate in 2016 (and I think Scott Walker might be the strongest) may not be enough.

Voters will mutter "we gave you the House, and we voted you into the majority in the Senate, and you STILL didn't make a stand. Why should we bother giving you the presidency as a reward?"

If the Republican party loses the presidency in 2016, it may be quite some time before they win it again, if ever.

But unless there's a reversal of fortune in the Congress, and unless the Republicans there begin acting as a majority and using every reserve of the powers they may yet retain against an out-of-control presidency, they don't have a chance in '16...

Hopefully, I'll be proven wrong.
But I think not....

WOW...that is exactly how I feel also....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2015, 03:10:20 am »

Fair enough; however, the cable companies actually have skin in the game:  they own the physical plant, and they cannot simply force revenue out of unwilling consumers at the point of a gun, unlike the government, which can simply impose a tax and enforce it by seizing your property and throwing your a$$ in jail.  Go ask Wesley Snipes about that.

The FCC has absolutely no business messing with the internet.  And the cure to the cable companies is competition, and if there isn't enough, then the fault usually lies with the way in which state and/or local law has prescribed the ability of start-ups to compete with the established market.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2015, 03:12:10 am »
One thing I've come away from insofar as the net neutrality argument in this thread goes...

By imposing what it calls "neutrality", the policy of the government is the last thing that is going to remain "neutral" towards the 'net.

No longer neutral, but VERY MUCH in CONTROL....
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 03:12:43 am by Fishrrman »

Oceander

« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2015, 03:13:26 am »
One thing I've come away from insofar as the net neutrality argument in this thread goes...

By imposing what it calls "neutrality", the policy of the government is the last thing that is going to remain "neutral" towards the 'net.

No longer neutral, but VERY MUCH in CONTROL....

And that is the only take-away that matters.  The only "neutrality" will be the neutrality of the grave.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2015, 03:26:43 am »
And that is the only take-away that matters.  The only "neutrality" will be the neutrality of the grave.

The only place where everyone is equal.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!