Author Topic: Pets Welcomed  (Read 502187 times)

famousdayandyear

Re: Pets Welcomed
« Reply #250 on: February 13, 2013, 09:29:26 pm »
http://www.wistv.com/story/21189030/fort-jacksons-hero-dog-dies

Fort Jackson's Hero Dog dies
Posted: Feb 13, 2013 1:26 PM Updated: Feb 13, 2013 1:26 PM
By Renee Standera - email

FORT JACKSON, SC (WIS) -

Sgt. 1st Class Gabe will never have to worry about being in a war zone again. He's getting belly rubs and chasing endless tennis balls in doggie heaven.

Officials at Fort Jackson announced retired K-9 officer Gabe died Wednesday. 

In October, The American Humane Association announced Gabe won the Hero Dog contest.

Gabe served a successful 170 combat patrols and was stationed at Fort Jackson.

Gabe spent several years in Iraq where he helped to make 26 finds during his combat patrols. In those years, he was also a highly-decorated dog that received three Army Commendation medals, an Army Achievement medal, and almost 40 coins of excellence.

"Everyday we'd go out for 18 hour searches and he was a trooper," SSgt. Chuck Shuck, Gabe's handler, said. "We'd be stuffed into a humvee and the gunner would be stepping all over him, but he'd just find a place to sleep and when it was time to work he went out there and did his thing."

The American Kennel Club also recognized Gabe with the 2008 Heroic Military Working Dog Award medal.

Gabe began life as a pound puppy in Houston, Texas, and was adopted and trained by the Army to sniff out weapons, munitions, and other items.

During his retirement, Gabe visited wounded veterans

Sorry--just can't take it when a loyal fearless service dog dies.  Tears me up.  Requiescat In Pacem Gabe

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #251 on: February 14, 2013, 02:47:39 am »
He had cancer of the spleen and liver... same thing that took one of our dogs... one day she was great the next day poof she was gone.

+++++++++++++

Gabe Nation....Thank you for being there in my time of need. Gabe never truly recovered from last night and his liver and spleen were so full of cancer. I could have opted for more transfusions and plasma and chemo, but I saw the pain in my boy's eyes. This picture was taken about 5 minutes before my Pooh bear was gone. He had his favorite toys, his snack foods and his medals. My heart is truly broke in a million pieces. I took him for a final walk, kissed him a thousand times, but I felt peace when he laid his head in my lap and left me
Gabe Nation....Thank you for being there in my time of need. Gabe never truly recovered from last night and his liver and spleen were so full of cancer. I could have opted for more transfusions and plasma and chemo, but I saw the pain in my boy's eyes. This picture was taken about 5 minutes before my Pooh bear was gone. He had his favorite toys, his snack foods and his medals. My heart is truly broke in a million pieces. I took him for a final walk, kissed him a thousand times, but I felt peace when he laid his head in my lap and left me

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #252 on: February 14, 2013, 03:01:12 am »
Oh God....sorry I clicked this.....crying like a baby....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

famousdayandyear

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #254 on: February 18, 2013, 06:15:03 am »
Roflol...sounds like he needs a visit from the dog whisperer.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline TheMom

« Reply #255 on: March 03, 2013, 04:55:42 pm »
Not a pet, but cute.  This baby giraffe was born Feb. 25 at the Houston Zoo.

I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Profanity.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #256 on: March 03, 2013, 05:41:14 pm »
CUTE!!!Thanks for sharing.

Offline TheMom

« Reply #257 on: March 03, 2013, 05:44:49 pm »
The little guy sitting on the ground will be one year old in July.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #258 on: March 03, 2013, 06:17:07 pm »
The little guy sitting on the ground will be one year old in July.

What is the gestation period for a giraffe?

Offline TheMom

« Reply #259 on: March 03, 2013, 07:47:12 pm »

What is the gestation period for a giraffe?

14 months.

Those two little fellows have different mothers.  With the addition of the newest baby, the Houston Zoo now has nine giraffes.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #260 on: March 03, 2013, 08:38:02 pm »
14 months.

Those two little fellows have different mothers.  With the addition of the newest baby, the Houston Zoo now has nine giraffes.

They are so cute. 

Offline TheMom

« Reply #261 on: March 03, 2013, 09:47:26 pm »
They are so cute.

They are indeed cute.

I love the giraffe exhibit at the zoo, especially because you can feed them.  That is way cool.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #262 on: March 04, 2013, 06:30:27 am »
One of the most beautiful places I have been is the David Sheldrick wildlife trust, just outside Nairobi. They give homes and companions to orphaned baby elephants - usually found next to the corpses of their mothers who have been shot for their tusks.

Baby elephants are so amazingly fun and affectionate with their people - they get one handler who basically becomes Mom for the 12 years it takes for them to mature.

http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/ - and be warned, the photos are WAY too cute.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #263 on: March 10, 2013, 02:23:19 am »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

famousdayandyear

« Reply #264 on: March 10, 2013, 02:56:12 am »
God Doesn't Make Mistakes

Oh my.......no words

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #265 on: March 10, 2013, 03:01:41 am »

Oh my.......no words

I should have put a tissue alert...I sat and cried watching it...
Support the USO

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #266 on: March 10, 2013, 03:03:07 am »
That's a wonderful video, Myst.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #267 on: March 10, 2013, 03:41:17 am »
I should have put a tissue alert...I sat and cried watching it...

That's great Myst.  I just sent that to a friend of mine, who is a big Down's Syndrome advocate.

Offline TheMom

« Reply #268 on: March 13, 2013, 12:06:47 am »
Last Monday morning one of our dogs passed away.  We and the vet are stumped as to what happens, although he is leaning toward her heart giving out.  This morning I picked up her ashes.

The people who did the cremation included a certificate of cremation, a sympathy card and our dogs ceramic paw print.

Here is a picture of PITA ~ she was my drinking buddy (none of the other dogs could hang like she did!).

This is the paw print.

Even though we are down to six dogs, it is strange not to hear her yapping voice when we get home from work.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #269 on: March 15, 2013, 06:23:44 pm »
What a day. The wife kept me up all night with here snoring and afterwork instead of going home and taking a nap I got to take our 5 month old puppy to the vet to get his nuts cut off.    I know that sounds like a verse in a country song, but its not. Just another day in the life of a dog owner.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #270 on: March 23, 2013, 04:10:54 pm »
http://www.glennbeck.com/2013/03/22/glenn%E2%80%99s-emotional-farewell-to-%E2%80%98best-friend%E2%80%99-victor/

Glenn’s emotional farewell to ‘best friend’ Victor

Friday, Mar 22, 2013

Glenn’s dog Victor has been the protector of the family for quite some time, but more than that he’s been a ‘best friend’ as Glenn described on radio today. Victor has been battling health issues in recent years and tomorrow, the family will say their final goodbyes as he will be relieved of his suffering. On radio this morning, Glenn reflected on what Victor has meant to he and his family and the difficulty in coming to this decision.

“Most people after a long relationship with their pets know what it feels like. They become member of the family,” Glenn told listeners.

Glenn and Tania got Victor years ago when Glenn got his first death threat. Neither of them felt they were ready to have a gun in the house for protection at the time, and they agreed that it would be better to have a guard dog. They ended up going to Harrison K9 where they found Victor.

“Here’s a dog that looked like a lion or a bear, giant. Head the size of a cinder block,” Glenn remembered.

Victor was always very kind and gentle, and Glenn recalled that when Raphe was a baby he would hang onto Victor’s teeth like they were rattles.

But Victor was more than just the family dog, he was the kind and gentle protector of the Beck family.

“I never knew what it felt like to be afraid for your life. We now have 24-hour protective details on my family and I. And I can’t even explain to the men who stand by my side or in front of me or behind me, what it means to know that someone will risk their life for you. Victor has been our best friend — I apologize. And a guardian,” Glenn said through tears.

Listeners and viewers know that Victor has been sick for the past several months, and the Beck’s have been preparing to say goodbye for some time now. And despite knowing that their time with Victor on Earth is coming to an end, the decision has not been an easy one.

“When they get sick you usually have to bring a decision in a short period of time. You bring them to the hospital, and you have to decide now to put them down. Once in a while you watch your best friend decay and suffer and you wonder when? You pray, please Lord, just take him.”

“Nobody wants to put an animal down. But somebody has to say the hard things. We’ve known this day is coming. He’s very old. He’s 13 now. Which is extraordinarily old for a purebred German shepherd. We thought we were going to lose him two summers ago, but he just kept coming back. And last summer, we talked about putting him down when we were up at the ranch we have. We have a place where if he were younger he would have chasing the cows and barking at the sky, and running through the fields. We brought him up, thought he was doing better last summer. When we came home I think Victor retired,” he explained.

“We’ve decided to have him cremated even though I’m not sure that’s the right thing to do. We wanted to bury him up at the ranch because we just are afraid that God forbid, things happen, we’d sell our house, and move away. We didn’t want him alone. I’ve tried to give my kids the experience this week that they’ll always remember, and wanted to be able to dig his grave myself and bury him because I think there is something in that honor and dignity and I think it’s something that a boy and his dad should do,” Glenn said.

“I just wanted to thank you. Especially those who have listened in Tampa or Philadelphia when we got Victor. We’d go out and meet people, and so many people say how is he? I thought of you yesterday as we took a walk. I told him that he’s been loved by people he’s never even met. I don’t know if it means anything to him, but it means something to me.”

“It’s going to be a tough weekend obviously. And sure would appreciate your prayers one last time,” Glenn said.

video at link
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #271 on: March 23, 2013, 04:14:54 pm »
Sorry Mom for your loss...we have all experienced the death of a beloved pet...I still tear up at the mention of my bulldog Daisy who passed 3 years ago.... 8888crybaby
Support the USO

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #272 on: March 23, 2013, 06:03:09 pm »
My Daisy will be 13 in July.  She is blind, deaf and has had some mini-strokes.  I take it a day at a time with her.. Was just remembering this morning when she was a young dog her best friend was a standard poodle.  They were so funny together out on the lake fishing and running all over the place together.. Daisy would go over to our friends boat and stand there waiting fir Bichette to come off the boat and play.  Now Bichette is long gone and Daisy sleeps most of the time.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #273 on: April 19, 2013, 03:28:08 am »
The refrigerator talk on FD&Y's birthday thread reminded me of this when my Daisy was still a puppy..

I was cooking and left the fridge door open while I was taking stuff over to the stove, turned around and saw this -- grabbed the camera to take the pic.  My Daisy had decided she should go snooping in the fridge while my back was turned and was pushing everything aside with her nose in search of pumpkin pie.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #274 on: April 19, 2013, 03:39:22 am »
The refrigerator talk on FD&Y's birthday thread reminded me of this when my Daisy was still a puppy..

I was cooking and left the fridge door open while I was taking stuff over to the stove, turned around and saw this -- grabbed the camera to take the pic.  My Daisy had decided she should go snooping in the fridge while my back was turned and was pushing everything aside with her nose in search of pumpkin pie.

Too funny!  Did she find the pie?