Author Topic: Pets Welcomed  (Read 502186 times)

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: Pets Welcomed
« Reply #225 on: December 20, 2012, 04:10:11 pm »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #226 on: December 20, 2012, 06:40:19 pm »
Why was he leaping like that?
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #227 on: December 21, 2012, 12:15:06 am »
Remember 2012 Hero Dog - Gabe? 

The float Gabe will ride on in the Rose Parade Jan 1st in Pasadena, CA

BTW Gabe and his owner are doing yoeman's job of finding homes for dogs in pounds all over the country...
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #228 on: December 22, 2012, 03:44:09 pm »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2251986/Prickly-Pete-Its-good-thing-lives-Meet-Prickly-Pete-cat-curiosity-nearly-did-kill-got-stuck-CACTUS.html

It's a good thing he has nine lives! Meet Prickly Pete, the cat whose curiosity nearly did kill him after he got stuck in a CACTUS

By Snejana Farberov

PUBLISHED: 20:07 EST, 21 December 2012 | UPDATED: 21:14 EST, 21 December 2012

A cat in Arizona is lucky to be alive after getting into an especially thorny situation which has earned him a new nickname – Prickly Pete.

The orange and white one-year-old domestic cat became stuck in a cactus in Phoenix Wednesday afternoon, setting off a dramatic rescue operation.

Arizona Humane Society’s Emergency Animal Technicians received a call about a cat that got caught on the spiky succulent near 19th Avenue and the appropriately named Cactus Road.

Ouch! A domestic orange and white cat was punished for his curiosity with dozens of cactus needles after jumping on the succulent plant

« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 03:44:25 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #229 on: December 22, 2012, 10:10:03 pm »
OMG that is Jump-up Cactus.  I HATE -- H-A-T-E Jump Up cactus!!!!!!!!!!!  It's the worst.  We once had a dog get it in his mouth and had to rush across the lake from a day out boating to take him to the vet ASAP.....  I really -- really feel for that poor cat.

Offline TheMom

« Reply #230 on: December 23, 2012, 03:01:53 am »
Our "baby", Foster. 

Every morning he yells at a pesky squirrel, several birds and the dropping leaves to get out of his yard.

I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Profanity.

Offline TheMom

« Reply #231 on: December 23, 2012, 03:02:27 am »
EEK!  Didn't realize the picture was so huge.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #232 on: December 23, 2012, 03:41:56 am »
Wrote this on the death of one of our cats about a month ago. Please excuse the language - I was somewhat upset when it was written.

A Farewell

About 2 years ago, a heavily pregnant cat appeared in our house. No idea where she came from, how old she was, nothing. She just wiggled through the cat flap one day and sat neatly in the kitchen until she was noticed and fed. The poor thing was freezing cold, exhausted and starving, by the speed she shotgunned down the food we put out for her.

Then she just stayed around. Fleabag seemed cool with her being here and her constantly baffled expression quickly earned her the name Brainless. Two weeks after she arrived, her kitten made an appearance. Since I was dead set on not having three cats, I told the kids not to name him. He’s been called Nameless ever since. Kids can really bleep you up.

This morning was the usual routine. Wake up at around 4 AM, kick Fleabag off my legs and get up, grab the robe and stumble downstairs to make a cup of tea and have the first cig of the day. Let the missus sleep a bit longer, she needs her rest.

We have one of those little cat towers in the lounge, Nameless sleeps on top of it, Brainless in the little nest underneath. I am used to Brainless not bothering to wake up in the morning - she is usually out all night and has just gone to bed by the time I am stirring - so her not coming into the kitchen for some food was not a surprise. Fed the other two, made my tea and settled to do some writing.

As with all weekdays, the grandkids arrive for breakfast before hitting school. Claire needs to get to work early, Steve isn’t home yet from night shift so they come here. We make a game of it, doing the breakfast and making the packed lunches.

In the kitchen, bacon and eggs cooking, and Millie came in in tears. “Brainless is really cold and not moving even if I poke her.”

“Don’t poke the cats.” But I went to check anyway. Almost room temperature, stiff and neatly curled up in the one place she considered hers.

She died sometime during the night. No idea why, she was totally fine when we went to bed, perched on the back of the sofa and playing with my wife’s hair.No illness, no poisoning and the vet called her disgustingly healthy last month during her annual check up.

It’s only a bleep cat, so why am I crying?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #233 on: December 23, 2012, 05:31:54 am »
That's a beautiful story.  Thanks for sharing it.   

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #234 on: December 23, 2012, 06:54:03 pm »
EEK!  Didn't realize the picture was so huge.

He's adorable The Mom.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #235 on: December 23, 2012, 06:56:36 pm »
Sorry for your loss, EC.  Sadly we are only granted a limited time with those we love in this world...

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #236 on: January 10, 2013, 03:42:33 am »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #237 on: January 20, 2013, 06:05:27 am »
The newest member of our family, a 12 week old Papillon we named Rio.    Pick him up today.

[attachment deleted by admin]
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #238 on: January 20, 2013, 06:39:17 pm »
Aww he's so cute. 

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #239 on: January 26, 2013, 02:09:25 am »
The wife took an amazing video of our 250 gal reef aquarium. Simply beautiful with its new LED ighting. It literally will stop traffic outside our home as cars try to get a better look.  Nothing fake in the tank. We grew all that coral from small finger tip size cuttings. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Fmsvq2wQ8
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #240 on: January 26, 2013, 02:16:56 am »

Our 14 year old Shiba Inu taking a nap with our brand new puppy, a Papillon we named Rio.   Thought it would take longer for our Shiba to accept the new puppy, but within a few days, they are playing like old buddies.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #241 on: January 26, 2013, 02:17:43 am »
This, I hope, will give more than a few of you a smile (not my dogs, btw, just saw it somewhere). The Scottie Pinwheel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSTY9bjReJw
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #242 on: January 26, 2013, 02:20:12 am »
Navy that fish tank is beautiful!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #243 on: January 26, 2013, 02:26:50 am »
Love the Scotties...I had one as a little girl....would love to have another..
Support the USO

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #244 on: January 26, 2013, 02:43:30 am »
Navy... your tank is beautiful!  I'm impressed that you grew your own coral....

Love the pic of your pups.......

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #245 on: February 12, 2013, 10:59:52 pm »

Offline TheMom

« Reply #246 on: February 13, 2013, 01:01:40 am »
The wife took an amazing video of our 250 gal reef aquarium.

Beautiful and impressive. 

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #247 on: February 13, 2013, 01:14:42 am »
The wife took an amazing video of our 250 gal reef aquarium. Simply beautiful with its new LED ighting. It literally will stop traffic outside our home as cars try to get a better look.  Nothing fake in the tank. We grew all that coral from small finger tip size cuttings. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Fmsvq2wQ8

Wow!  Just WOW!   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #248 on: February 13, 2013, 09:08:56 pm »
Remember Gabe, the service dog I posted about last year when he was in the running for the Service Dog of the Year award - which he won.... he became a traveling ambassador after the win and his owner has been performing yoeman's work on Facebook posting about dogs in shelters about to be euthanized and finding homes for almost all of them as their posts get posted and reposted ...

Yesterday morning Gabe would not eat and when he started looking worse through the day his owner took to the emergency vet where it was determined he was bleeding internally  today he went to the Rainbow Bridge.

++++++++++++++++++++

Gabe 2012 Hero Dog 
‎26 DEC 2003 to 13 Feb 2013

I've been a dog man my entire life, I've lost many a dear friend along this road. It's a very special kind of friendship and an especially difficult loss. I know there are no words that can lighten the heartache, only time can ease the pain. MWD Gabe K-153, US Army war veteran and OEF hero, took his last breath at 12:44 pm today, in the arms of his loving dad and former handler Chuck. He was 10 My thoughts are with SFC @[586841354:2048:Chuck Shuck] in this time of deep sadness, he and Gabe shared more in their years together than many of us can imagine. They trained and deployed together. They are responsible for protecting countless lives in Iraq. Gabe retired in 2009 and spent his final years comfortable and happy in the home of his handler and best friend. I never met Gabe, nor have I ever met SFC Shuck, in person...But I've grown very close to both of them over this past year. I worked closely with them throughout the campaign for 2012 AHA Hero Dog and I feel as though I've known them for years. I will never forget what Gabe has done, not only for our country as a US Army Specialized Search Dog, but in his retirement to help spread word of the contribution MWDs make every day. He was instrumental in defending and rescuing shelter dogs and in his spare time, traveled to churches and schools, teaching kids about respect and honor. Gabe, you are forever my hero...Rest well, big boy! @[100003508818181:2048:Charles Gabe Shuck]
I've been a dog man my entire life, I've lost many a dear friend along this road. It's a very special kind of friendship and an especially difficult loss. I know there are no words that can lighten the heartache, only time can ease the pain.

MWD Gabe K-153, US Army war veteran and OEF hero, took his last breath at 12:44 pm today, in the arms of his loving dad and former handler Chuck. He was 10

My thoughts are with SFC Chuck Shuck in this time of deep sadness, he and Gabe shared more in their years together than many of us can imagine. They trained and deployed together. They are responsible for protecting countless lives in Iraq. Gabe retired in 2009 and spent his final years comfortable and happy in the home of his handler and best friend.

I never met Gabe, nor have I ever met SFC Shuck, in person...But I've grown very close to both of them over this past year. I worked closely with them throughout the campaign for 2012 AHA Hero Dog and I feel as though I've known them for years. I will never forget what Gabe has done, not only for our country as a US Army Specialized Search Dog, but in his retirement to help spread word of the contribution MWDs make every day. He was instrumental in defending and rescuing shelter dogs and in his spare time, traveled to churches and schools, teaching kids about respect and honor. Gabe, you are forever my hero...Rest well, big boy!

Charles Gabe Shuck
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 02:45:29 am by Rapunzel »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #249 on: February 13, 2013, 09:18:33 pm »
http://www.wistv.com/story/21189030/fort-jacksons-hero-dog-dies

Fort Jackson's Hero Dog dies
Posted: Feb 13, 2013 1:26 PM Updated: Feb 13, 2013 1:26 PM
By Renee Standera - email

FORT JACKSON, SC (WIS) -

Sgt. 1st Class Gabe will never have to worry about being in a war zone again. He's getting belly rubs and chasing endless tennis balls in doggie heaven.

Officials at Fort Jackson announced retired K-9 officer Gabe died Wednesday. 

In October, The American Humane Association announced Gabe won the Hero Dog contest.

Gabe served a successful 170 combat patrols and was stationed at Fort Jackson.

Gabe spent several years in Iraq where he helped to make 26 finds during his combat patrols. In those years, he was also a highly-decorated dog that received three Army Commendation medals, an Army Achievement medal, and almost 40 coins of excellence.

"Everyday we'd go out for 18 hour searches and he was a trooper," SSgt. Chuck Shuck, Gabe's handler, said. "We'd be stuffed into a humvee and the gunner would be stepping all over him, but he'd just find a place to sleep and when it was time to work he went out there and did his thing."

The American Kennel Club also recognized Gabe with the 2008 Heroic Military Working Dog Award medal.

Gabe began life as a pound puppy in Houston, Texas, and was adopted and trained by the Army to sniff out weapons, munitions, and other items.

During his retirement, Gabe visited wounded veterans