Author Topic: Live Thread>> Iowa Caucus 2024  (Read 10000 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Live Thread>> Iowa Caucus 2024
« on: January 15, 2024, 04:30:40 pm »
WHAT IS A CAUCUS?

A political caucus is a gathering of people with a shared interest or goal. The Iowa caucuses are a series of local meetings held throughout the state where participants conduct party business and usually indicate their preference for a presidential nominee to represent the party on the November ballot. It’s also the first step in a months-long process to select people to serve as delegates to the national party conventions this summer.

HOW ARE CAUCUSES DIFFERENT FROM PRIMARIES?

One of the main differences between caucuses and primaries is the amount of time allotted for voting to occur and the methods by which people can vote. In a primary, people can show up at the polls and cast ballots throughout Election Day, from the early morning until polls close in the evening. They have the option of casting an absentee ballot if they can’t make it to the polls on Election Day, and in some states, people may vote before Election Day. The Iowa caucuses, on the other hand, are held in the evening and voters must attend in person in order to participate, except in a few isolated instances. Caucuses are run by political parties, whereas primaries are usually (but not always) run by the state.

ARE BOTH THE REPUBLICANS AND DEMOCRATS HOLDING CAUCUSES IN IOWA THIS YEAR?

Sort of. While both the state Republican and Democratic parties will hold caucuses on Jan. 15, only the Republican event will have an immediate, binding impact on the presidential race. In a departure from previous years, the Democratic caucuses will be held only to conduct administrative party business and to start the process of choosing delegates to the national conventions. Iowa Democrats will express their preferences for their party’s presidential nominee through a mail-in voting process, the results of which will not be known until March.

WHAT’S AT STAKE?

For Democrats, nothing is at stake, since the 2024 caucuses will have no bearing on the presidential race.

For Republicans, there are usually two prizes in the Iowa caucuses: delegates and bragging rights. Iowa Republican voters will indicate their picks for the party’s presidential nominee, and the results of that vote will determine how many of the state’s 40 convention delegates each candidate will receive. Candidates win national convention delegates in direct proportion to the percentage of the vote they receive. There is no minimum threshold required to qualify for delegates.

However, Iowa makes up a minuscule share of the total number of Republican delegates nationwide (only 1.6%). So, in theory, a candidate who performs poorly in Iowa has plenty of opportunities in the remaining states and territories to more than make up the difference. But because of Iowa’s first-in-the-nation placement in the presidential campaign calendar, the caucus results often give a disproportionate boost to the winners and to those who perform strongly or surpass expectations, while often having a winnowing effect on the field by nudging underperforming candidates out of the race. They can also signal to voters in other states, fairly or unfairly, which candidates are possibly on a better footing in the race for the nomination and have momentum (or the “Big Mo” as candidate George H.W. Bush called it after winning the 1980 caucuses) heading into the next contests.

HOW WILL THE REPUBLICAN CAUCUSES WORK IN 2024?

There will be two main agenda items at every Republican caucus site: holding a binding vote for the party’s presidential nominee and electing delegates to attend county conventions, which is the next step in the multi-tiered process of electing delegates to attend the Republican National Convention in Milwaukee this summer.

The binding presidential vote functions essentially like a party-run primary, only with very limited polling hours and no accommodation for absentee voting, except for a tiny handful of overseas and military voters. There are speeches on behalf of various candidates before the voting and a variety of party business after the vote. Individual caucus chairs are allowed to exercise some discretion in how to conduct the vote, but the voting is done by secret ballot and there is no set list of candidates. Voters must be given the option to vote for any candidate they choose. In the past, some caucus sites have pre-printed the names of major candidates and provided a write-in option, but typically, voters vote by writing the name of a candidate on a blank slip of paper.

There is no walking around the caucus room to form candidate preference groups. That voting method was a feature of Democratic caucuses from 1972 to 2020 but is no longer in use by either party in 2024.

The Republican caucuses will convene statewide at 7 p.m. local time (8 p.m. EST), and begin with the election of a caucus chair and secretary. Only registered Republicans may participate in the caucuses and only in their designated home precincts. However, Iowans may register or change their party affiliation on caucus day. Voters must turn 18 by the November general election in order to participate.

HOW WILL THE DEMOCRATIC CAUCUSES WORK IN 2024?

Iowa Democrats had to completely redo their caucus and presidential delegate selection process after their 2020 caucuses devolved into chaos and failed to produce a clear, undisputed winner.

This year, Iowa Democrats will still hold caucuses on the same day as Republicans, but unlike in previous years, caucus-goers will not vote or indicate their pick to represent the party on the November presidential ballot. Instead, they will vote for a party nominee through a mail-in voting process that begins Jan. 12 and concludes on March 5.

The Democratic caucuses on Jan. 15 will elect delegates to the county conventions in March, which is the next step in selecting the individuals to serve as delegates to the Democratic National Convention in Chicago in August. National convention delegates will be required to vote for a presidential nominee in accordance with the results of the mail-in voting process.

https://apnews.com/article/how-iowa-caucus-works-2024-democrats-republicans-592ab40b9b9b948c0540f2cf132bab5c

Fast facts

Iowa voters will caucus Monday, Jan. 15 to select their pick for the Republican presidential nominee in 2024

Caucuses in Iowa kick off at 7 p.m. CT

Former President Donald Trump, Gov. Ron DeSantis, former Ambassador Nikki Haley and entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy face off for the GOP nomination

In Iowa, caucusing will happen at 1,657 precincts across the state including school gymnasiums, church basements, union halls, community centers, libraries or other places where voters can gather

The GOP caucuses are only open to registered Republicans in Iowa, however, Iowans can register or change their party affiliation on caucus day
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 05:15:48 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Live Thread>> Iowa Caucus 2024
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 04:39:27 pm »
:bkmk:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 05:16:57 pm »
Iowans are most concerned about inflation and the southern border this election cycle

Iowa voters are most concerned about high inflation and the crisis at the southern border going into the 2024 election cycle, according to a recent poll.

As presidential candidates gear up for the Iowa caucuses, a highly anticipated event that kicks of the presidential nomination calendar, residents will likely be focusing on these top issues when deciding which candidate to vote for.

A Des Moines Register poll released in November found that 81% of likely Republican caucusgoers believe inflation is an extremely important issue currently facing the country.

About 97% of likely GOP caucusgoers also noted that the southern border is an issue of top concern, being either extremely important or important to them when considering which candidate they will throw support behind this fall.

The Des Moines Register/NBC News/Mediacom survey was conducted October 22 to 26th among likely Republican caucusgoers, with a margin of error of plus or minus 4.9 percentage points.
Posted by Aubrie Spady
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 05:58:40 pm »
Iowa voters are most concerned about high inflation and the crisis at the southern border going into the 2024 election cycle, according to a recent poll.

And there's only one candidate out there who will address both.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2024, 06:25:10 pm »
Exclusive — Montana Senate Republican Candidate Tim Sheehy to Surrogate for Donald Trump at Iowa Caucus

Tim Sheehy will serve as a surrogate for President Donald Trump during the Iowa Caucus, Breitbart News has learned exclusively.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2024/01/15/exclusive-montana-senate-republican-candidate-tim-sheehy-surrogate-donald-trump-iowa-caucus/
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2024, 06:31:52 pm »
Poll: Donald Trump Support in Republican Primary ‘Highest Level Yet’

Former President Donald Trump’s lead in the Republican primary race is at its “highest level yet,” according to the latest CBS News/YouGov survey.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2024/01/15/donald-trump-support-republican-primary-highest-level-yet/
Support the USO

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2024, 06:37:09 pm »
Exclusive — Montana Senate Republican Candidate Tim Sheehy to Surrogate for Donald Trump at Iowa Caucus

Tim Sheehy will serve as a surrogate for President Donald Trump during the Iowa Caucus, Breitbart News has learned exclusively.

Sheehy is Mitch McConnell's boy.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2024, 06:37:57 pm »
Poll: Donald Trump Support in Republican Primary ‘Highest Level Yet’

Former President Donald Trump’s lead in the Republican primary race is at its “highest level yet,” according to the latest CBS News/YouGov survey.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2024/01/15/donald-trump-support-republican-primary-highest-level-yet/

@mystery-ak  @Hoodat  @LMAO  @catfish1957 @libertybele  @roamer_1  @Jack Russell  @Timber Rattler  @DB

And doesn't that piss you ALL off, to no end???    :laugh:   :tongue2:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline LMAO

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2024, 06:39:59 pm »
@mystery-ak  @Hoodat  @LMAO  @catfish1957 @libertybele  @roamer_1  @Jack Russell  @Timber Rattler  @DB

Pissed? No.

I just view it as another lost opportunity. But it is what it is. I’ve had candidates that I’ve supported that lost elections, and I move on.

But your post does give credence to my belief that this election more about owning the other side than really solving the problems  both Biden and Trump helped usher in
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 06:43:12 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2024, 06:48:48 pm »

What pisses me off is to see Republicans supporting a NY Democrat whose fiscal policies are destroying this country.  Unlike you, I always place logic and substance over emotion and style.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2024, 06:49:39 pm »
But your post does give credence to my belief that this election more about owning the other side than really solving the problems  both Biden and Trump helped usher in

You sure got that right.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LMAO

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2024, 06:55:39 pm »
You sure got that right.

And Trump won’t have the luxury of low interest rates and relatively low inflation like he did when he took office in 2017

He has no plan on reining in inflation. He thinks he’s going to pressure the federal reserve to drop interest rates. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha fat chance.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2024, 07:17:23 pm »

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

Nikki Haley can never win in the General Election because she doesn’t have MAGA, and never will! Ron DeSanctimonious, at least, is MAGA-Lite. Remember, I think MAGA is almost ALL of the Republican Party. The days of the RINOS and non-AMERICA FIRST candidates are OVER! Nikki is a Globalist RINO, backed by American’s for Chinese Growth, the Charles Koch con job. It’s not going to happen for her, or DeSanctimonious! Vivek Votes are wasted, should come to “TRUMP.” MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Support the USO

Offline LMAO

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2024, 07:20:31 pm »

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

Nikki Haley can never win in the General Election because she doesn’t have MAGA, and never will! Ron DeSanctimonious, at least, is MAGA-Lite. Remember, I think MAGA is almost ALL of the Republican Party. The days of the RINOS and non-AMERICA FIRST candidates are OVER! Nikki is a Globalist RINO, backed by American’s for Chinese Growth, the Charles Koch con job. It’s not going to happen for her, or DeSanctimonious! Vivek Votes are wasted, should come to “TRUMP.” MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!

Trump doesn’t know what a RINO is. But, when you look at the evidence, that definition is Trump

Barry Goldwater

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2024, 07:29:56 pm »
Just a reminder - While Iowa Republicans try to showcase this State as a Red State panacea for its Trump support, Iowa went with Obama.  Twice.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2024, 07:32:31 pm »
Trump doesn’t know what a RINO is.

Trump may not know what a RINO is, but he sure as hell supports a lot of them.  Wasn't Nikki Haley Trump's pick for UN Ambassador?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2024, 07:43:35 pm »

@DCPatriot

Don't want to throw cold water on your Trump boner, but I never claimed Trump wouldn't win the primary.  It sucks, but there's nothing that can be done abut it.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2024, 07:46:54 pm »

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

Trump's a living breathing idiot, who hasn't brought a decent cognitive thought to the equation in ages.  Wooo hoo....  Freedom Cities, and the GOP rank and file buys off on this shit?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2024, 07:50:42 pm »
Nikki is a Globalist RINO, backed by American’s for Chinese Growth, the Charles Koch con job.

At least Charles Koch never gave money to either Clinton, Chuck Schumer, or Kamala Harris.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2024, 07:51:12 pm »
Just a reminder - While Iowa Republicans try to showcase this State as a Red State panacea for its Trump support, Iowa went with Obama.  Twice.

Just a reminder - While The Briefing Room "Trump Haters" try to showcase this forum as a Reagan style Conservative forum, all but a few wouldn't hesitate to withhold their vote for the GOP Nominee.

TWICE!

LOL!  You make this too easy...
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2024, 07:52:59 pm »
 :bkmk:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline LMAO

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2024, 07:54:10 pm »
Trump's a living breathing idiot, who hasn't brought a decent cognitive thought to the equation in ages.  Wooo hoo....  Freedom Cities, and the GOP rank and file buys off on this shit?

Or he’ll drill enough oil to pay for SS. Besides the fact that the math doesn’t even remotely match up, you can only drill so much oil that you would put a glut of it on the market and drop the price. And then how would Saudi Arabia and other oil producing companies respond to that? Donald Trump wanted to bail out the oil companies during the pandemic.

That would be good for consumers. But it won’t even touch Social Security.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 07:55:00 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline libertybele

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2024, 07:55:57 pm »

Pizz me off?? No it saddens me.  Only a true conservative has a very slight chance of saving this Republic.  While we sit here watching her demise the last thing we need is someone stomping on conservatism. The last thing we need is continuing to allow the DEMS to crush this country into nothing and that's exactly what a Trump nomination will do.   **nononono*  What you completely don't get is that he will never be seated in the WH. So in essence this is another wasted opportunity and perhaps the last opportunity to take our Country back.

You laugh.  I see absolutely no humor.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2024, 07:56:43 pm »
Trump supporters like to convince themselves that Donald Trump  inherited an economy that was collapsed, only to pull it out of that, and make it one of the best economies in the history of of the country

The reality is he inherited a growing economy, although slowly, with low interest rates and low inflation, and left office with it in a wreck

Barry Goldwater