Author Topic: Why Trump’s dictator remarks are working for him  (Read 4703 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Why Trump’s dictator remarks are working for him
« on: December 13, 2023, 02:40:46 pm »
 Why Trump’s dictator remarks are working for him
by Brett Samuels - 12/13/23 6:00 AM ET

Republicans are mostly shrugging off former President Trump’s comments about being a dictator for a day if he wins reelection to a second term.

Trump, who doubled down on his dictator comments over the weekend, has faced sparse pushback from others in the GOP and in most cases has seen Republican lawmakers and allies rally to his defense and brush off the comments as yet another manufactured media storyline.

The reaction underscores Trump’s enduring power in the party and serves as the latest example of how legal woes and incendiary rhetoric have done little to damage his standing with GOP voters.

One former Trump White House official told The Hill the reaction to the former president’s remarks “plays into his hands,” arguing obsessive media coverage and outrage among Democrats and Trump critics only serves to reinforce the “us against them” narrative Trump has pushed for years.

Trump initially set off a furor last week when he told Fox News host Sean Hannity at an Iowa town hall that he did not plan to be a dictator if reelected, “except for day one.”

“He says, ‘You’re not going to be a dictator, are you?’ I said, no, no, no — other than day one. We’re closing the border and we’re drilling, drilling, drilling. After that, I’m not a dictator,” Trump added, drawing applause from the crowd.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4356533-why-trumps-dictator-remarks-are-working-for-him/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Why Trump’s dictator remarks are working for him
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2023, 02:59:07 pm »
I'm guessing it has something to do with increasing donations.

A grifter gotta grift, especially with Trump's legal bills.

Trump does mean what he says, even when its wrapped in humor, satire, or sarcasm.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2023, 08:08:10 pm »
Scott Adams
@ScottAdamsSays

Watching the mentally challenged people in the media cry that "Trump is Thanos" will be the comedy theme for 2024.

Trump's "I'll only be a dictator for one day" is looking brilliant. Total nut-bait.

Nuts, show us your stuff! Lol.

Video: 

https://twitter.com/tomselliott/status/1734679864152625626

9:31 AM · Dec 13, 2023

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2023, 08:15:22 pm »
"Nut bait".  :bingo:    88888cool

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2023, 08:15:23 pm »
Perhaps for some people but his dictator remarks sure aren't working for me.  Just one more reason not to vote for him.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2023, 08:18:17 pm »
Perhaps for some people but his dictator remarks sure aren't working for me.  Just one more reason not to vote for him.

9999what

Offline LMAO

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2023, 10:30:25 pm »
What would the MAGA response be if Hillary Clinton made a similar statement in 2016?

It's becoming increasingly apparent that both sides of the political spectrum want "their" dictator while they accuse their opponents of dictatorship

« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 10:49:05 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2023, 10:51:04 pm »
What would the MAGA response be if Hillary Clinton made a similar statement in 2016?

It's becoming increasingly apparent that both sides of the political spectrum want "their" dictator while they accuse their opponents of dictatorship

No. I don't want a dictator period. A dictator shouldn't be running our Republic. Yes, Trump said for one day -- that in itself is outrageous.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2023, 11:03:48 pm »
“He says, ‘You’re not going to be a dictator, are you?’ I said, no, no, no — other than day one. We’re closing the border and we’re drilling, drilling, drilling. After that, I’m not a dictator,” Trump added, drawing applause from the crowd.

Hey... that works for me.
Sorry if you don't like it.
Nor do I care.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2023, 11:08:48 pm »

Nor do I care.

So, please enlighten me @Fishrrman , how you expect him to drill, drill, drill, for one day and if I recall he's going to secure the border too. All in one day as dictator. He's going to build a border wall in one day -- miraculous isn't it??  BTW ... maybe he'll arrive in one of his proposed flying cars too.

Dictator for one day -- explain how that'll work @Fishrrman   It doesn't matter if I don't like it, or if you don't care, but if you are going to make such comments and participate in a forum -- a bit of explaining is in order.  Otherwise, what you say Trump is going  to do or can do, just doesn't hold water.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 11:20:03 pm by libertybele »

Offline LMAO

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2023, 11:20:24 pm »
We have to be careful.

There are things that the Executive branch is allowed to do under the Constitution that wouldn't mean he would be a dictator if he exercised those rights as president. I don't seem to get why he thinks that opening up more federal lands to energy exploration would make him a dictator.

But I do believe that many of his supporters would have no problem if he went outside the US Constitution

It's not Trump himself that's the issue but the ignorance of many of his supporters that's the problem
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 11:21:31 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2023, 11:29:08 pm »

Nor do I care.
I'm so sick of your passive-aggressive "sorry if you don't like it" you seem to append to everything. No, you're not, because you'd stop if you were.

Anyway.

What happens Day 2? How does he maintain any gains he would supposedly make Day 1?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2023, 11:34:51 pm »
No. I don't want a dictator period. A dictator shouldn't be running our Republic. Yes, Trump said for one day -- that in itself is outrageous.

Last time he said 'two weeks' so... :whistle:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2023, 11:38:29 pm »
j. myrle wrote:
"I'm so sick of your passive-aggressive "sorry if you don't like it" you seem to append to everything. No, you're not, because you'd stop if you were."

No, I don't think I'll stop.
Sorry if you don't like THAT, either.
But thanks for your concern.

On day 1, If I were Mr. Trump, I'd:
- declare a national emergency, to wit, that we were undergoing foreign invasion at the border. Such an emergency would of course last beyond one day. But it has to be declared, first.
Mr. Trump wouldn't do the following, but I WOULD:
Declare martial law from the southern border to a point 10 miles north of the border. And then act accordingly.

- repeal EVERY executive order and regulation the leftist-communists have enacted to destroy the coal, petroleum, and natural gas industries.
Let them fight it out in court.

- order the EPA to close as an ongoing agency. Put all employees on "home furlough with pay" until I could figure out the next move.
WHY "with pay"?
Because I argue that even if all of them sit home and collect full pay, it will do less damage and cost less to the nation than if they "continued their work" at the office...

Offline LMAO

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2023, 06:43:05 am »
I don’t believe that Trump is going to dissolve opposition parties and declare himself “Il Duce.”

But there is every indication he will use the power of government against his enemies. He’s told his supporters he’s their retribution. I’m safe in assuming that people don’t elect presidents so they can enact revenge on their political enemies on behalf of their supporters.

He will probably surround himself with loyalist. Yes men and women.

Trump supporters would have no problem if he went around the constitution from time to time. And I  stand behind my assertion out of Hillary Clinton utter these words, Trump’s unpopular MAGA movement would be gnashing their teeth and howling at the moon

Barry Goldwater

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2023, 10:14:26 am »
I'm so sick of your passive-aggressive "sorry if you don't like it" you seem to append to everything. No, you're not, because you'd stop if you were.

Anyway.

What happens Day 2? How does he maintain any gains he would supposedly make Day 1?

Stop your nonsense.

When asked, he responded "Only on DAY 1, when I order "DRILL...BABY DRILL!...."
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2023, 11:36:42 am »
What is the point of focusing a campaign on oil production?  Barrels produced are at an all-time high.  The cost of gas is at or somewhat below the inflation-adjusted historic price.  We are depleting our stocks.  Is Trump going to pretend the voters have no access to this information, or will he claim the numbers are falsified? 

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2023, 11:50:02 am »
Dictators don't give up total power once they taste it.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2023, 01:11:33 am »
Not a single vote has been cast for the 2024 election, and yet the author of this piece claim that his comment is "working" for him.  Nostradumbass.

Trump apparently was quite correct when he said he wouldn't lose his support even if he shot someone on 5th avenue. The problem is that the number of people who won't abandon him even if he shoots somebody isn't enough to win a general election.

When the Democrats yank the Joe Biden chair out from under Trump when he tries to sit down, that's when we'll truly know how much support he really has.

Unfortunately, by then it will very likely be too late.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2023, 05:22:26 am »
Stop your nonsense.

When asked, he responded "Only on DAY 1, when I order "DRILL...BABY DRILL!...."

Considering that you can't even start drilling in one day, much less complete drilling and actual extraction, it is Trump's own comments that are the "nonsense".
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 05:26:06 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline LMAO

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2023, 11:55:43 am »
Not a single vote has been cast for the 2024 election, and yet the author of this piece claim that his comment is "working" for him.  Nostradumbass.

Trump apparently was quite correct when he said he wouldn't lose his support even if he shot someone on 5th avenue. The problem is that the number of people who won't abandon him even if he shoots somebody isn't enough to win a general election.

When the Democrats yank the Joe Biden chair out from under Trump when he tries to sit down, that's when we'll truly know how much support he really has.

And I don’t believe it’ll be Newsom. I think that last debate performance with DeSantis kind of shot that idea away.

And it will not be Michelle Obama. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s another Democrat governor.

Barry Goldwater

Offline corbe

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2023, 03:16:42 pm »
Trump inflames worries with calls for revenge and 'retribution,' but there are limits

by Haisten Willis, White House Reporter
December 16, 2023 07:00 AM

Former President Donald Trump has big plans for a second term in office, but exactly what those plans are is the subject of much debate.

Trump has been speaking of revenge and retribution for months, though the remarks are receiving more and more attention as polls find him besting not only GOP rivals but often President Joe Biden. To his critics, Trump is laying the groundwork to stretch the law or even become a full-fledged dictator.

“In 2016, I declared, 'I am your voice,'" Trump said at the Conservative Political Action Conference last March. "Today, I add, 'I am your warrior. I am your justice. And for those who have been wronged and betrayed, I am your retribution.'”

Similar remarks have followed in the months since, such as Trump saying he'll "root out" the "radical-left thugs that live like vermin within the confines of our country."

Whether such talk is typical Trump hyperbole or a serious threat depends on one's perspective. For Mike Davis, a former chief counsel to Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) who has been rumored for attorney general in a new Trump administration, it smacks of hypocrisy.

"The same Democrats who impeached President Trump twice for nonsense, indicted him four times for non-crimes, tried to bankrupt his business, illegally gagged him twice, and are using a bogus legal theory to disqualify him from state ballots are suddenly concerned about a weaponized justice system?” Davis said.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/white-house/trump-inflames-worries-revenge-retribution-dictator
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2023, 03:37:59 pm »
Trump inflames worries with calls for revenge and 'retribution,' but there are limits

by Haisten Willis, White House Reporter
December 16, 2023 07:00 AM

Former President Donald Trump has big plans for a second term in office, but exactly what those plans are is the subject of much debate.

Trump has been speaking of revenge and retribution for months, though the remarks are receiving more and more attention as polls find him besting not only GOP rivals but often President Joe Biden. To his critics, Trump is laying the groundwork to stretch the law or even become a full-fledged dictator.

“In 2016, I declared, 'I am your voice,'" Trump said at the Conservative Political Action Conference last March. "Today, I add, 'I am your warrior. I am your justice. And for those who have been wronged and betrayed, I am your retribution.'”

Similar remarks have followed in the months since, such as Trump saying he'll "root out" the "radical-left thugs that live like vermin within the confines of our country."

Whether such talk is typical Trump hyperbole or a serious threat depends on one's perspective. For Mike Davis, a former chief counsel to Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) who has been rumored for attorney general in a new Trump administration, it smacks of hypocrisy.

"The same Democrats who impeached President Trump twice for nonsense, indicted him four times for non-crimes, tried to bankrupt his business, illegally gagged him twice, and are using a bogus legal theory to disqualify him from state ballots are suddenly concerned about a weaponized justice system?” Davis said.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/white-house/trump-inflames-worries-revenge-retribution-dictator

The 2024 election already is mainly about which side gets to own the other. Screw the US Constitution.

I read an article were Democrats want to amend parts of the FISA act in case Trump wins. What hypocrisy. If those provisions in the FISA law would be bad to have in the law under Trump, why are Democrats ok with then under Biden?

Organized Religion and politics are overrun with hypocrisy and double standards

Barry Goldwater

Offline libertybele

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2023, 04:19:10 pm »

Exactly!

Offline LMAO

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2023, 05:01:26 pm »
The question to MAGAs would be would they be OK with Donald Trump going around the US Constitution even if they thought it would provide some benefit for them?

I think I know the answer to that… Lol

Barry Goldwater