Author Topic: Hurricane Response Reveals Ron DeSantis' Competence and Leadership and Trump’s Pettiness  (Read 13070 times)

Online libertybele

Our good governor gets things done!!

Gov. Ron DeSantis says ‘1100 missions fulfilled’ amid Hurricane Idalia recovery

Gov. Ron DeSantis held a press conference in Tallahassee Thursday morning to give an update on the aftermath of Hurricane Idalia and rescue efforts.

The governor said 40 rescues have been made since Idalia made landfall near Keaton Beach at 7:45 a.m., Wednesday, as a strong Category 3 hurricane. He said efforts will continue until there is no need.

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission officers are assisting in searches for anyone who may still need help.

There were 146,000 power outages across Florida since 6 a.m. Of those who lost power due to the storm, 420,000 homes have had it restored.

Thousands of linemen are still on site, working to restore power. The top priority is Taylor County, which is 100% out of power.

“We’re also fulfilling missions for counties,” said DeSantis. “There have been 1100 missions that have either been fulfilled or in process of being fulfilled, so the things that may be necessary, particularly in some of these hard-hit areas: fuel, water, MREs, tarps. all that stuff, we have an abundance of, and we will be providing that as needed to the affected communities.”

DeSantis said all bridges have been cleared. The 15-mile stretch of Interstate 10 in Madison has also cleared and reopened.............

https://winknews.com/2023/08/31/desantis-holds-press-conference-hurricane-idalia-aftermath/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bilo

@catfish1957

888high58888  :beer:

A few quick points of follow up:

1. We aren't as far apart as you think on this. (I have not committed to vote for DJT next year. Many of the things you mention about him irritate the living HELL out of me as well.)

2. I'm just trying to keep the record straight.

3. As much as Trump irritates me, I HATE the swamp one hundred times more and refuse to let the lawfare bastards win at the games they are playing. I value the rule of law more than anything else when it comes to government.

:amen:

Like you I did not vote for Trump in 2016. In 2020 I was 100% for him. He did most of what he said he would and that more than outweighed the negatives. If it were a normal election cycle I would probably support DeSantis, but it's not.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline roamer_1

I strongly suspect that we are about to find out my friend! And @bilo is 100% right about not allowing the lawfare bastards to win.

You're fighting in the wrong venue, @Bigun . Lawfare is in the jurisdiction of the courts, and fighting it on the stump is a dangerous game.

By rights, Tumpy ought to step down and fight his battles in the courts, leaving a sure candidate in his wake. But that ain't what he wants (or you, it seems). Making this election about Tump is going to lose the whole enchilada... or risk it all at the least.

Go ahead. Roll the bones. 

Offline roamer_1

What makes you think the swamp is going to roll over just because someone other than Trump shows up?

I don't think that. I think it's gonna be tough as hell. What it takes is a political machine, building coalitions from varied interests - And that's what it's always taken. That's why I know Tumpy will get absolutely nothing done but EOs.

Because he pisses everybody off. On purpose. Many, many, many people who matter in government sure as hell won't kiss the ring as all y'all expect or demand. They hate him with a white hot passion, because he already pissed them off. Try and build a coalition from that.

Offline roamer_1

They won't, but we do know for certain that Trump will not do anything about the swamp because he didn't do a damned thing when he had four years to do something.  We also know that someone like DeSantis is much, much better at building coalitions and at getting things done, and therefore is more likely to actually get something done against the swamp, much more so than Trump ever could.

pointing-up :yowsa:

Offline roamer_1

:amen:

Like you I did not vote for Trump in 2016. In 2020 I was 100% for him. He did most of what he said he would and that more than outweighed the negatives. If it were a normal election cycle I would probably support DeSantis, but it's not.

Y'all are playing with fire.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
You're fighting in the wrong venue, @Bigun . Lawfare is in the jurisdiction of the courts, and fighting it on the stump is a dangerous game.

By rights, Tumpy ought to step down and fight his battles in the courts, leaving a sure candidate in his wake. But that ain't what he wants (or you, it seems). Making this election about Tump is going to lose the whole enchilada... or risk it all at the least.

Go ahead. Roll the bones.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one @roamer_1 IMHO the very last thing Trump should do now is cut and run. That's the big enchilada the Lawfare crowd is playing for.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one @roamer_1 IMHO the very last thing Trump should do now is cut and run. That's the big enchilada the Lawfare crowd is playing for.

Suit yourself @Bigun ... But when he is the candidate, and a verdict comes down in late summer/early fall, complete with perp-walk to a jail somewhere, knocking thirty points off the top...

Well, don't say I didn't warn you.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Suit yourself @Bigun ... But when he is the candidate, and a verdict comes down in late summer/early fall, complete with perp-walk to a jail somewhere, knocking thirty points off the top...

Well, don't say I didn't warn you.

Consider me warned @roamer_1

If we lose this it's over anyway as far as I'm concerned.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

Consider me warned @roamer_1

If we lose this it's over anyway as far as I'm concerned.

Nah... It ain't over, @Bigun . We've hardly got into state nullification... Plenty of court actions to take.

But it's certainly going the wrong way.

Offline DB

Trump is not capable of cleaning out the swamp. That should have been self-evident by now.

He doesn't know the constitution, he doesn't know the law and he doesn't have people in the waiting with the know how to do it.

To vote for him as some sort of revenge towards the Democrats is not in the best interest of the country. It's an emotional vote, not a logical one with serious consequences.

Online libertybele

Trump is not capable of cleaning out the swamp. That should have been self-evident by now.

He doesn't know the constitution, he doesn't know the law and he doesn't have people in the waiting with the know how to do it.

To vote for him as some sort of revenge towards the Democrats is not in the best interest of the country. It's an emotional vote, not a logical one with serious consequences.

I would never vote for Trump simply to get revenge on DEMS.  Obviously the DEMS must be defeated or we lose our country.

It's quite a predicament that I find myself in; Trump I believe at this point is so full of vindictiveness and seeking revenge that I don't believe he'll be good for the country as he will spend too much time fulfilling his own agenda.  Secondly age, and he's made some grave errors along the way, accomplished little in the end game and has become a bit unhinged. I don't forsee voting for him, but nor do I want a DEM in the WH -- either way in the long run I suppose the end result will be the same.  Perhaps if he wins the WH it will make a slim possibility of the GOP seated again in '28.

I don't think they'll run Brandon; the DEMS will at the last minute arrange things so that Michael O'Bammy runs with Jarret or Rice which will be a very difficult ticket to beat.

Enter Ron DeSantis.  A very conservative, competent candidate.  I think he'd make an excellent president, but I'm not so sure he's going to have enough pull to get into the WH.  Once the DEMS get rid of Trump, he'll be their next target.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

That's right. Making the election about Tumpy instead of the myriad issues generated by Democrat rule is a grave, grave mistake.

Offline LMAO

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

That's where I'm at on it. I want results, all I've heard is excuses that well he was new to govt and didn't understand how things worked. If he couldn't get it after four years then he's too damn slow of a learner for another four years. Not to mention he constantly stabs candidates that they aren't experienced enough. The hypocrisy is knife worthy.
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
IMHO that is TOTAL BS! Having the ability to do something and being free to do whatever you like are two entirely separate things and had Trump named anyone but who he did to head that taskforce all parties would have severely criticized him at least and removed him from office at worst. I cannot stand either of those people (Fauci or Birx) but the FACT is that they were long time federal employees LONG before Trump got there. He had no choice but to appoint them despite his obvious (to me) personal animosity toward both. Presidents are NOT dictators!

@Bigun
alts four original sin,and ever
What's wrong with you,bubba? Don't you know that Trump is at fault for EVERYTHING that goes wrong,including original sin,VD,climate change,cancer,etc,etc,etc?

The ONLY thing he ever did that was good was help DeSanctimonious get elected as the governor of Florida!

Git wid it,dood!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Just the opposite.

It is the Republic that is up for grabs in the coming election. Trump represents the possibility the Republic can be saved. If the Rats win we can forget any possibility that a constitutional Republic will remain.

@bilo

You are actually going to let a little thing like saving the Republic influence who  you vote for?

Dey jist ain't no hope for yew,is dere,comrade?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
What makes you think the swamp is going to roll over just because someone other than Trump shows up?

@roamer_1

@bigheadfred

Obliviously ,he wished upon a star.

Besides,Trump is not only Orange,but he is also rude and rich!

The fiend!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@DB

To NOT vote for him is to vote for the continued destruction of the country,and the advance of globalism.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
DeSantis’ leadership. Speaking of visible, engaged and pitch-perfect on messaging, Gov. Ron DeSantis was all three this week. His appearances in major media markets across Florida before the storm hit brought necessary attention to risks across the state. Governors don’t man lifeboats or rebuild entire neighborhoods themselves, but they can mobilize vast resources and make long-term commitments that are vital in helping devastated communities get back on their feet. Filling that role becomes especially important for DeSantis now, as the rescue effort turns into cleanup and recovery. So, governor, keep your phone charged and handy.
-the Tampa Bay Times Editorial Board.

Notice the subtle dig in the last line. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I would never vote for Trump simply to get revenge on DEMS.  Obviously the DEMS must be defeated or we lose our country.

It's quite a predicament that I find myself in; Trump I believe at this point is so full of vindictiveness and seeking revenge that I don't believe he'll be good for the country as he will spend too much time fulfilling his own agenda.  Secondly age, and he's made some grave errors along the way, accomplished little in the end game and has become a bit unhinged. I don't forsee voting for him, but nor do I want a DEM in the WH -- either way in the long run I suppose the end result will be the same.  Perhaps if he wins the WH it will make a slim possibility of the GOP seated again in '28.

I don't think they'll run Brandon; the DEMS will at the last minute arrange things so that Michael O'Bammy runs with Jarret or Rice which will be a very difficult ticket to beat.

Enter Ron DeSantis.  A very conservative, competent candidate.  I think he'd make an excellent president, but I'm not so sure he's going to have enough pull to get into the WH.  Once the DEMS get rid of Trump, he'll be their next target.

@libertybele

IF Trump is as weak as you claim,WHY is the DNC spending billions to get him and everyone connected to him to prison on  bogus charges?

IF he is as weak as you and the DNC CLAIM,WHY isn't the DNC focusing on the braying weasel from Florida instead of Trump?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

I agree with this. We cannot let the Democratic willingness to bring lawsuits against a Republican candidate determine whether or not that candidate will stay in a race.  By the same token, the fact that Democrats bring such cases against a particular Republican is not a reason to support that Republican for the nomination. It is a reason to support him in those lawsuits.

That being said, I still think Trump will have a problem with the documents case because there likely is at least some merit to it.  Nobody advances an argument as dumb as "I can declassify documents in my head" if they actually have a good legal defense.

Online libertybele

@libertybele

IF Trump is as weak as you claim,WHY is the DNC spending billions to get him and everyone connected to him to prison on  bogus charges?

IF he is as weak as you and the DNC CLAIM,WHY isn't the DNC focusing on the braying weasel from Florida instead of Trump?

@sneakypete Trump is definitely the target of the DNC and marxists. I never stated that he was weak, I just think it is time for him to back a candidate rather than continue seeking revenge which will impact his presidency should he miraculously make it in.  With all the indictments he is facing it is doubtful. Then what will his supporters do??? What will the GOP do?

I guess it could be said that though Trump is taking aim at DeSantis that is keeping the DEMS off of his back as they are hoping that Trump will take him down.

Offline PeteS in CA

Donning my 88888walking kitty -Mod hat, I appreciate the reasonable tone in this lengthy thread!

If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online libertybele

-the Tampa Bay Times Editorial Board.

Notice the subtle dig in the last line.

Chalk it up to a liberal editorial board.  They'll be praising him one he's handled everything with expediency and competency.