Author Topic: Charges once again dismissed against Navy corpsman in ‘MARSOC 3’ case  (Read 150 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Charges once again dismissed against Navy corpsman in ‘MARSOC 3’ case
The latest turn in the MARSOC 3 case.

BY JEFF SCHOGOL | PUBLISHED AUG 4, 2023 1:55 PM EDT

For the second time, all charges have been dismissed against Chief Petty Officer Eric Gilmet, a Navy corpsman who is one of three service members collectively referred to by their supporters as the “MARSOC 3,” who had been accused of killing a former Green Beret who was working as a contractor in Iraq.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces ruled on Thursday that prosecutors had failed to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the proceedings would not be affected by unlawful command influence in the wake of November 2021 comments by a former top Marine Corps lawyer, who implied that military attorneys would face reprisal for defending their clients.

As such, the court dismissed the charges “with prejudice,” meaning they cannot be refiled.

The court’s move means that the government can no longer pursue its case against Gilmet, his attorney Colby Vokey told Task & Purpose on Friday.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/marsoc-3-eric-gilmet-charges-dropped/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson