Author Topic: KC-46A tanker still has 6 category 1 deficiencies, but fixes are in the works: USAF official  (Read 212 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
KC-46A tanker still has 6 category 1 deficiencies, but fixes are in the works: USAF official

Each KC-46A will take about two months to retrofit with a new vision system, according to the Air Force’s program lead, a fix that will address two of six remaining critical defects in Boeing’s Pegasus air refueling tanker.
By   MICHAEL MARROW
on August 04, 2023 at 11:52 AM

DAYTON, Ohio — More than a year and a half after a government watchdog flagged several serious problems with the KC-46A Pegasus refueling tanker, a total of six category 1 deficiencies remain on the aircraft, according to an Air Force official who also provided new details on the timeline for several fixes.

“We’re down to six Cat 1 DR’s” said chief of the Air Force’s program office Col. Lee Ottati during the Life Cycle Industry Days conference here, using a shorthand for category 1 deficiency reports.

Category 1 deficiencies indicate a serious problem with an aircraft, which Air Force spokesman Brian Brackens said “are those which if uncorrected may cause death, severe injury, or severe occupational illness; or may cause loss or major damage to a weapon system; or critically restricts the combat readiness capabilities of the using organization; or which would result in a production line stoppage.”

Seven category 1 deficiencies were previously listed in a January 2022 report by the Government Accountability Office [PDF], though many were identified prior to that report. One deficiency, an issue with the jet’s flight management system, was downgraded to a category 2 problem in April, Ottati said. The issue will remain open to ensure software fixes are functioning properly, he added, after which the deficiency will be closed out.

https://breakingdefense.com/2023/08/kc-46a-tanker-still-has-6-category-1-deficiencies-but-fixes-are-in-the-works-usaf-official/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
After how many years? *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson