Author Topic: Wow, Just Wow – Presidential Candidate Mike Pence Says a Collapsing USA is Not His Concern, Supporti  (Read 4032 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Article II - Section 1

The Electors shall meet in their respective States, and vote by Ballot for two Persons, of whom one at least shall not be an Inhabitant of the same State with themselves. And they shall make a List of all the Persons voted for, and of the Number of Votes for each; which List they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the Seat of the Government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate. The President of the Senate shall, in the Presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the Certificates, and the Votes shall then be counted. The Person having the greatest Number of Votes shall be the President ...

Cruz and Hawley raised objections of vote counts due to allegations and concerns of voter fraud -- they had the right to be heard and were not. Their objections were raised before Pence certified the election and he ignored them. As I pointed out before, during the time that Cruz and Hawley objected the insurrection conveniently took place, certification was delayed and their objections were never heard.  Pence did NOT do his job.  It is very doubtful that the objections and Congress voting would have made a difference, but it still should have been done.  A slim chance that it would have made a difference.

Also I believe that the insurrectionists were not comprised of Trump supporters but rather those within the ranks, including Pence and Pelosi who staged the insurrection so that no objection would be heard or even given merit.

@libertybele

You damn sure have no reason to feel lonesome about THAT one!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
@libertybele

Article II - Section 1

The Electors shall meet in their respective States, and vote by Ballot for two Persons, of whom one at least shall not be an Inhabitant of the same State with themselves. And they shall make a List of all the Persons voted for, and of the Number of Votes for each; which List they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the Seat of the Government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate. The President of the Senate shall, in the Presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the Certificates, and the Votes shall then be counted. The Person having the greatest Number of Votes shall be the President ...

For starters, the Constitution itself says nothing about a requirement to hear objections, nor does it say anything about the President of the Senate having the right to reject votes.  It simply says that the certificates are opened, and counted.  It doesn't even say that the VP/President of the Senate is the one who actually counts them.  Literally the only task assigned to him by the Constitution is the opening of the Certificates.  Presumably, the Framers figured that between all those presumably educated people, they'd be able to add up the totals correctly.

The entire issue of objections, etc., comes from the Electoral Count Act, not the Constitution.  Now personally, I don't believe that Congress is bound by the Electoral Count Act, and that each Congress is entitled to set its own rules for the counting of ballots without being bound by the law set by a prior Congress and President.  But leaving that aside, if you're going to claim that Pence didn't do what he was supposed to do for objections, your only possible source is the Electoral Count Act because the Constitution itself is silent.

Cruz and Hawley raised objections of vote counts due to allegations and concerns of voter fraud -- they had the right to be heard and were not.  Their objections were raised before Pence certified the election and he ignored them.

That is just not true.  I don't know from where you are getting that.  The procedures specified in the Electoral Count Act provided for the filing of written objections, and both Cruz and Hawley filed their written objections that were made available to all members of Congress.  There was nothing in the Electoral Count Act requiring that the objectors be granted the right to speak at the time of making the objection.  That makes sense given that it wasn't Pence's job to rule on the objections anyway. 

What the ECA did require was that if a proper objection was made, the vote counting would be stopped, and the House and Senate would then meet, debate, and vote separately on the merits of the objection.  And that's exactly what happened!!  Cruz filed his objection to the Arizona slate.  While that was being debated by the members of each House, the riots started and the debates stopped.  But after the riot was over, they met again, continued to debate, and eventually voted on Cruz's objection.  At 10:10 p.m., the Senate voted 93-6 against Cruz's objection.

https://edition.cnn.com/politics/live-news/congress-electoral-college-vote-count-2021/h_7075aaec7a5bc1133b62ff0cdeea5962

At 11:15 p.m., the House voted 303-121 against it.

https://clerk.house.gov/Votes/202110

So rather than Pence "ignoring" Cruz' objection, he stopped the counting after the objection was made, and properly waited while the two Houses of Congress met, debated, and voted on that objection.  Only after those votes were finished did the counting resume.  That's exactly what was supposed to happen, right?

The same thing happened when Hawley objection to the Pennsylvania election.  The Joint Session was again adjourned at 12:15 a.m. so that the Houses could debate and vote on that objection.  The Senate chose to vote immediately, and voted 92-7 against Hawley's objection.

https://edition.cnn.com/politics/live-news/congress-electoral-college-vote-count-2021/h_cb9fb54432fcc772d6b37c95dc0569cf

The House chose to debate, and finally, at 3:08 a.m., the House voted 282-138 against Hawley's objection.  It was only after the vote on that objection that the counting of the electoral votes resumed.

https://clerk.house.gov/Votes/202111

So what did Pence do wrong??  He didn't "ignore" the objections.  Rather, he followed the statutory procedure to stop counting if there was a proper objection, let the two Houses debate and vote on the objection, and then continue the counting after that vote was completely.  Pence was not the arbiter of which votes were acceptable -- Congress was, and Congress voted.

I have no idea where this idea that the objections were "never heard" and that Congress "never voted" came from.  Both are wrong.  The only thing I can guess is that because the counting was adjourned for the riot, and people expected the counting/objections to happen then and they didn't see it on TV, they assumed it never happened.  They got outraged, listened to agitators claim "the debate on objections was cancelled", and just weren't paying attention when the debates resumed and votes on objections occurred.  The objections were heard, debated, and voted upon by each House of Congress before counting resumed.  That's just a historical fact.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 04:45:23 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

I just feel compelled to point out that the Trump campaign argued that Pence, not Congress, was the arbiter of whether or not the votes were valid, and that he and he alone had the right to reject them.  I don't see anything in the Constitution or ECA saying anything of the sort, and it seems to be ridiculous on its face  The Constitution clearly deferred a bunch of election-related decisions to Congress -- why would it give the Vice-President, who might very well be one of the actual candidates running for President, the sole discretion to reject or accept Electoral Votes?  That would be the dumbest system ever.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The entire issue of objections, etc., comes from the Electoral Count Act, not the Constitution.  Now personally, I don't believe that Congress is bound by the Electoral Count Act, and that each Congress is entitled to set its own rules for the counting of ballots without being bound by the law set by a prior Congress and President.  But leaving that aside,

No, let's not leave this aside.  3 U.S. Code § 15 was the law of the land on Jan 6, 2021. 

No Congress is "entitled" to ignore any law, including this one, because it was passed by another Congress and signed by another president.  Using your deeply flawed logic, there would be no law whatsoever in the United States, nevermind could the rule of law serve as the building block of our entire system of government.

It took another act, passed by Congress and signed by the President, to change 3 U.S. Code § 15 ---  the LAW of the land on Jan 6, 2021.

Biden signed the Electoral Count Reform Act into law on Dec 22, 2022.

The Electoral Count Reform Act revised he framework for the joint session of Congress to count electoral votes and make a formal declaration of which candidates have been elected President and Vice President. Among other changes, the bill (1) specifies that the role of the Vice President during the joint session shall be ministerial in nature, and (2) raises the objection threshold in Congress to at least one-fifth of the duly chosen and sworn members of both the House of Representatives and the Senate.

(ICYMI @kevindavis007 )

« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 03:15:27 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I just feel compelled to point out that the Trump campaign argued that Pence, not Congress, was the arbiter of whether or not the votes were valid, and that he and he alone had the right to reject them. 

I just feel compelled to ask:  Is being wrong a hobby for you or your raison d'être?

Offline Hoodat

One thing is for sure.  Trump sure did a piss poor job of choosing his VP.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline ScottinVA

Did anyone watch the actual clip for context, or is everyone just going off how it was characterized by the nuts at the Conservative Treehouse?

Because I having a hard time believing Pence would actually say just "a collapsing USA is not my concern" without any further context.

I'm going to see if I can find a more full clip or transcript somewhere else because I refuse to give those dirtbags a click.

Exactly.  While it’s fun to be outraged, it seems many aren’t applying critical thinking and giving a discerning look at what he said.  Is it possible his meaning was “the possibility of collapse of this country doesn't concern me, because I don’t believe that possibility exists?”  I realize Pence isn’t the favorite among conservative circles these days, but I find it rather hard to believe he isn’t concerned for the welfare of the country.  And really now.. “Conservative Treehouse?”

Online mountaineer

I added context to Pence's remarks in my post of July 15, 8:12 am
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online kevindavis007

God forbid someone adheres to the Constitution! Also, so much for Trump hiring the best people.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline libertybele

:yowsa:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

Only the best!

Online kevindavis007

Only the best!

It was the Deep State Uni-party establishment that made Trump pick Pence as VP that Trump is going to fight if he is President again. (please note this is sarcasm)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

What, specifically should Pence have done that he didn't do?

He opened the certificates, halted counting when a valid (had to have both a Representative and Senator) objection was filed, waited while the House and Senate independently debated and voted on each objection, and continued opening certificates and counting only after those votes were held.  That's the exact procedure specified in the Electoral Count Act.  What was wrong there?

Do people think that Louis Gohmert's lawsuit claiming that the Electoral Count Act was unconstitutional was correct, and that Pence and Pence alone had the right to accept or reject each state's slate of electors?

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/28/gohmert-suit-pence-overturn-trumps-defeat-451485

That was Trump's position:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1346488314157797389?s=20

If people think that is correct, can someone please point to the specific language in the Constitution that gives the VP - rather than Congress - this right?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 04:20:25 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online kevindavis007

What, specifically should Pence have done that he didn't do?

He opened the certificates, halted counting when a valid (had to have both a Representative and Senator) objection was filed, waited while the House and Senate independently debated and voted on each objection, and continued opening certificates and counting only after those votes were held.  That's the exact procedure specified in the Electoral Count Act.  What was wrong there?

Do people think that Louis Gohmert's lawsuit claiming that the Electoral Count Act was unconstitutional was correct, and that Pence and Pence alone had the right to accept or reject each state's slate of electors?  Because if you buy that argument, you're conceding right off the top that the entire issue of objections doesn't matter because that only exists in the ECA.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/28/gohmert-suit-pence-overturn-trumps-defeat-451485

Here's what Trump himself said about that:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1346488314157797389?s=20

If people think that is correct, can someone please point to the specific language in the Constitution that gives the VP this right?  And just right off the bat, if you're the one person on my ignore list, don't bother because I won't see it.

Anyone else??

I checked the Constitution again and I don't see that specific language.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@kevindavis007

Surely SOMEONE has the authority to remove FRAUDENTLY CHOSEN ELECTORS? If not,the whole system is already beyond saving.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

It's like a bad joke.  Obviously, that language isn't in the Constitution.  And obviously, giving to a sitting Vice-President -- who will on many occasions actually be one of the candidates for President -- the sole discretion to toss electoral votes is ridiculous.   I mean, think about the implications of that.  That would have given Al Gore -- not Congress, not the Supreme Court, but just Al Gore himself -- the right to toss Bush electors on nothing more than Gore's own say-so in 2000.  Essentially, to put himself into office on nobody's authority except his own.  Does anyone seriously think the Framers of the Constitution or the 12th Amendment would have intended that??

I swear, there are a whole lot of self-described conservatives out there who are just as bad as the left when it comes to twisting the Constitution to suit their own ends.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

@kevindavis007

Surely SOMEONE has the authority to remove FRAUDENTLY CHOSEN ELECTORS? If not,the whole system is already beyond saving.

@sneakypete

Of course!  That authority belongs to the Courts, and/or Congress.  That's why Cruz and Hawley filed objections, why the objections were debated, and why they ultimately were voted upon and rejected by Congress.  That's why lawsuits were filed in the courts.  The alternative -- the VP alone makes that decision -- not only appears nowhere in the Constitution, but is fundamentally incompatible with the basic principles of checks and balances/separation of powers.  It basically gives to the Executive Branch the power to choose itself.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
It's like a bad joke.  Obviously, that language isn't in the Constitution.  And obviously, giving to a sitting Vice-President -- who will on many occasions actually be one of the candidates for President -- the sole discretion to toss electoral votes is ridiculous.   I mean, think about the implications of that.  That would have given Al Gore -- not Congress, not the Supreme Court, but just Al Gore himself -- the right to toss Bush electors on nothing more than Gore's own say-so in 2000.  Essentially, to put himself into office on nobody's authority except his own.  Does anyone seriously think the Framers of the Constitution or the 12th Amendment would have intended that??

I swear, there are a whole lot of self-described conservatives out there who are just as bad as the left when it comes to twisting the Constitution to suit their own ends.

@Maj. Bill Martin

Someone correct me if  I am wrong,but how would such a thing be possible without first passing a Supreme Court review?

Or at least some other (assumed) impartial review board?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

@Maj. Bill Martin

Someone correct me if  I am wrong,but how would such a thing be possible without first passing a Supreme Court review?

Or at least some other (assumed) impartial review board?

Hey, it's not my argument.  That was Trump and Gohmert's argument.  As I said in the post that must have crossed with your last one, the right to reject/accept electors for fraud would come -- depending on the stage -- from either (ultimately) the Supreme Court, or Congress.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
It's like Pence and Christie are trying to outdo each other in swampiness.

@Free Vulcan

I see Pence as basically being a clueless drone.

I see Christie as being a weasel,with full apologies going out to all the actual weasels for slandering them.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
That was Trump's pick for VP...

@DB

Trump's pick,or the pick of the professional politicians that were on his team when these selections were being made?

Offline Hoodat

@DB

Trump's pick,or the pick of the professional politicians that were on his team when these selections were being made?

It's the latter.  Trump essentially allowed the GOP Establishment to make all his picks for him.  He's the best friend the Swamp ever had.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Important question Why didn't Trump fix things when he was President like the cities?

@kevindavis007

Paraphrase,"Why didn't Trump fix 60+ years of political corruption when he had a whole 4 years to do it,relying on help from many of the same people who originated those problems?"

Offline Hoodat

@kevindavis007

Paraphrase,"Why didn't Trump fix 60+ years of political corruption when he had a whole 4 years to do it,relying on help from many of the same people who originated those problems?"

In other words, relying on the Swamp.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Yes he certified the election but he never heard the objections from Sen. Cruz or Rep. Josh Hawley. That proceeding was conveniently interrupted by the J6 insurrectionists.  Pictures/video have shown that they were NOT affiliated with Trump -- but linked to Pence, Pelosi and others in DC.  It was pre-arranged. 

The J6 insurrection was orchestrated in order to overturn an election; obviously by both sides and an election was stolen by the DEMS. You will NEVER convince me otherwise.

@libertybele

Or me.

Pence is evil just as Pelosi, McConnell and most of the DOJ are.

Ditto!

Again, I lay odds that Pence will be the GOP(e) nominee.

I hope you are wrong on this one.