Author Topic: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread  (Read 46440 times)

Offline berdie

Re: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread
« Reply #575 on: January 05, 2023, 11:40:26 pm »
Not necessarily. The others may not be able to take the heat, being up for committee placements and such... Only the ones that can play hardball are playing hardball.

Like Rosendale - I guarantee he is getting standing ovations here in the state.
He not only can afford to take a hit, he is actually laying down big-time Conservative creds and staking em in with a 9 pound jack. This is making him golden.

Well, then the ones that think they can't play hardball aren't that devoted imho. The ones standing up face just as much retribution.

I think Rosendale was the guy who made the speech I liked so much. Good for Montana!

I've already said what I think should happen, so I won't repeat. I'm a lot of things, but I'm not a nag. :laugh:

The optics shouldn't matter, but they do to a lot of people. But of course most people aren't watching this.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #576 on: January 05, 2023, 11:40:40 pm »
Neither does 22.

The 22 aren't voting to make someone else Speaker.  They are voting to block McCarthy from becoming Speaker.  Their target is 5, not 218.  And they have hit their target vote after vote after vote.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #577 on: January 05, 2023, 11:41:02 pm »
Those 200 are not voting for McCarthy. They are voting for themselves, and whatever McCarthy has promised them. They all know McCarthy is a flaming RINO, but McCarthy made it worth it for them.

How do you know that to be true?  I mean, if his only appeal to the 200 is that he can give them stuff, that's worthless because anyone in the caucus could run for Speaker and make the exact same promises.  So why him?

Maybe - shocker! - a good number of them actually prefer him as Speaker.   Just because you don't think he's a good choice for speaker doesn't mean they don't.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #578 on: January 05, 2023, 11:41:02 pm »
I’m calling the 22 congressman morons…because they are behaving as such. I’m NOT calling anyone on this board anything other than by their names. I’ll be first admit I’m damn mad watching conservatism dragged through the mud and tarnished for 2024. I will take your advice and reduce the rudeness. Mea Culpa.

I know.... :thumbsup:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #579 on: January 05, 2023, 11:41:42 pm »
Actually, I think you could - with more justification -  view the 20 as the wreck in the highway, and they should get out of the way.
They are standing for what they believe is in the best interests of the entire nation.
Romney is standing only for himself and his own self glorification.
Every big change in history started with 20 people or less.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline oldno7

« Reply #580 on: January 05, 2023, 11:43:23 pm »

In today's world it's easy enough to find how people vote, even in private.

This has the optics of "willy nilly".

It's not so much the voting as the process.

There has been no process.

That's why debate here is illuminating.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #581 on: January 05, 2023, 11:43:31 pm »
They are standing for what they believe is in the best interests….”

So are the 200.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #582 on: January 05, 2023, 11:44:32 pm »
I know.... :thumbsup:

@Mesaclone is an old friend of the Forum.  I know too.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #583 on: January 05, 2023, 11:45:27 pm »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #584 on: January 05, 2023, 11:45:52 pm »

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #585 on: January 05, 2023, 11:46:06 pm »
The 22 aren't voting to make someone else Speaker.  They are voting to block McCarthy from becoming Speaker.  Their target is 5, not 218.  And they have hit their target vote after vote after vote.

If that’s true, it’s utterly reprehensible.

If they have a better candidate, put them forward. If they don’t, grow up because all they’re doing is having at tantrum at the expense of the entire Conservative movement.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #586 on: January 05, 2023, 11:47:10 pm »
They are standing for what they believe is in the best interests of the entire nation.
Romney is standing only for himself and his own self glorification.
Every big change in history started with 20 people or less.

I'm pretty sure that a large chunk of the 200 do not believe the 20 are doing what is in the best interests of the nation, and believe that it would be a huge mistake to give them what they are demanding.

Both sides believe they are right.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #587 on: January 05, 2023, 11:47:27 pm »
So what?

So what, then, is what we should say to the 22 who can’t even gather the courage to put forward their own candidate.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #588 on: January 05, 2023, 11:48:42 pm »
So what, then, is what we should say to the 22 who can’t even gather the courage to put forward their own candidate.

They have been Nominating at least one every Ballot.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #589 on: January 05, 2023, 11:51:25 pm »
@Mesaclone is an old friend of the Forum.  I know too.

I actually appreciate Cyber tapping me on the shoulder and saying “Chill, Bro.” I needed that, so thank you. That said, still passionate and pretty fired up about this. We can’t just go on looking ridiculous as a party…it’s killing us and creating endless material for Dem campaigns.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #590 on: January 05, 2023, 11:51:36 pm »
Another vote down the drain.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #591 on: January 05, 2023, 11:51:39 pm »
If that’s true, it’s utterly reprehensible.

If they have a better candidate, put them forward. If they don’t, grow up because all they’re doing is having at tantrum at the expense of the entire Conservative movement.

Republican-ism is NOT Conservatism.
That they took the opportunity to drag a RINO through a knothole is reason enough. And once they drag him through they should drag him back again.

Suits me fine.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #592 on: January 05, 2023, 11:53:14 pm »
They have been Nominating at least one every Ballot.

Yes. Each one losing in a landslide to McCarthy. Should that not be a sign of who the caucus supports for Speaker. And shouldn’t the caucus’ support mean something?

Online Hoodat

« Reply #593 on: January 05, 2023, 11:53:18 pm »
I'm pretty sure that a large chunk of the 200 do not believe the 20 are doing what is in the best interests of the nation

I'm pretty sure that a large chunk of the 200 can't see outside the Beltway and have no concern for what is in the best interests of the nation.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #594 on: January 05, 2023, 11:54:20 pm »
Yes. Each one losing in a landslide to McCarthy. Should that not be a sign of who the caucus supports for Speaker. And shouldn’t the caucus’ support mean something?

Not sure how you can classify a 0-0 tie as "losing in a landslide".

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #595 on: January 05, 2023, 11:54:29 pm »

I don't see as they need to. If they vote their conscience and can't stomach the candidate on principle, that's all the reason they need.

This is the same dang argument you gave me, in all it's varied forms, to get me to vote for that which I did not want. Screw that.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #596 on: January 05, 2023, 11:55:13 pm »
Another vote down the drain.

Think of it this way. Each round of votes “down the drain” ensures another seat lost to the Dems in 2024 and/or another state lost in the Presidential election.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #597 on: January 05, 2023, 11:55:47 pm »
Looks like the 20 or so hit their target again.  Another win for the Conservatives.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #598 on: January 05, 2023, 11:56:20 pm »
Think of it this way. Each round of votes “down the drain” ensures another seat lost to the Dems in 2024 and/or another state lost in the Presidential election.

Bullshit.  This will not be a campaign issue in 2024.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #599 on: January 05, 2023, 11:57:10 pm »
Look guys ... let's just BOTTOM LINE this whole episode.
McCarthy needs to step aside so we can move on. It is that simple.
The fact that he will not, shows that he cares more for himself than his Party or his Country.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.