Author Topic: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread  (Read 46390 times)

Online Hoodat

Re: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread
« Reply #550 on: January 05, 2023, 11:16:53 pm »
Here it comes.  Round 11.  If you vote against McCarthy, then you are voting to kill kittens and puppies.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #551 on: January 05, 2023, 11:16:54 pm »
Well just perhaps congress shouldn't be a bill mill machine turning out endless unaccountable laws buried in mountains of crap to obscure what they're doing.

Bingo!
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online Hoodat

« Reply #552 on: January 05, 2023, 11:17:30 pm »
Well just perhaps congress shouldn't be a bill mill machine turning out endless unaccountable laws buried in mountains of crap to obscure what they're doing.

Word.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Kamaji

« Reply #553 on: January 05, 2023, 11:17:58 pm »
That's not true. He has given them some of what they asked but not the most important. Didn't you hear the guy from Montana? They want single issue bills. What American doesn't want that? Why wouldn't McCarthy agree to that?

What is a "single issue" bill?  Suppose that one has a legislative proposal to modify the Internal Revenue Code by (a) increasing the personal exemption, (b) increasing the individual AMT threshold, (c) increasing the number of qualified shareholders an s-corporation can have and still be an s-corporation, (d) adding (back) a per-country limitation to the foreign tax credit, and (e) changing the sourcing rules for income derived from self-produced inventory, is that five single issues, four single issues (the first two, dealing with individual taxes, being treated as a "single" issue), three single issues (the first two being treated as a "single" issue as before, and the last two being treated as a "single" issue because they both deal with taxation of income derived from within and without the U.S.), or one single issue because they all involve changes to the income tax provisions of the IRC?

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #554 on: January 05, 2023, 11:18:12 pm »

200 people VOTED FOR HIM TO BE SPEAKER. This is not McCarthy stubbornly opposing 22 people…it’s 22 people demanding that TWO HUNDRED other Republicans kowtow to them.
Doesn't matter. The reason does not matter. The point is McCarthy is going nowhere but he will not get out of the way.

McCarthy needs to get out of the way and let the traffic flow. Right now, he is acting as highway wreck which is plugging up the whole road. He needs to recognize that and needs to do right to get things flowing again.

If there is a wreck on the highway, I do not care why they wrecked. I just want them out of the way.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #555 on: January 05, 2023, 11:20:38 pm »
So were you saying the same thing when Manchin was hanging up the Democrat's trillion dollar spending bills by one vote?

Had Manchin’s vote put the House in perpetual limbo AND destroyed the credibility of the Conservative movement…damn right I’d say the same thing.

Since he’s a Senator and a Dem, I’m thrilled he damaged his own party. I actually WANT liberalism stymied and undermined…I sure as hell don’t want that done to Conservatism.

Your analogy is correct that both damaged their own party.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Online corbe

« Reply #556 on: January 05, 2023, 11:21:36 pm »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #557 on: January 05, 2023, 11:21:42 pm »
Here it comes.  Round 11.  If you vote against McCarthy, then you are voting to kill kittens and puppies.

No. Just voting to hurt Conservatism.

Online DB

« Reply #558 on: January 05, 2023, 11:23:00 pm »
Had Manchin’s vote put the House in perpetual limbo AND destroyed the credibility of the Conservative movement…damn right I’d say the same thing.

Since he’s a Senator and a Dem, I’m thrilled he damaged his own party. I actually WANT liberalism stymied and undermined…I sure as hell don’t want that done to Conservatism.

Your analogy is correct that both damaged their own party.

One could easily argue that Manchin saved the Democratic party from themselves by putting the brakes on.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #559 on: January 05, 2023, 11:23:15 pm »

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #560 on: January 05, 2023, 11:24:26 pm »
Doesn't matter. The reason does not matter. The point is McCarthy is going nowhere but he will not get out of the way.

McCarthy needs to get out of the way and let the traffic flow. Right now, he is acting as highway wreck which is plugging up the whole road. He needs to recognize that and needs to do right to get things flowing again.

If there is a wreck on the highway, I do not care why they wrecked. I just want them out of the way.

So, the guy with 200 votes is “in the way”, but the ones with 22 votes are not. Logical.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #561 on: January 05, 2023, 11:25:31 pm »
So, the guy with 200 votes is “in the way”, but the ones with 22 votes are not. Logical.

Don't matter if he's got 217. It don't make.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online DB

« Reply #563 on: January 05, 2023, 11:28:25 pm »

He's promised a good number of those 200 various goodies in return for their vote. So if they want the goodies, that's how they have to vote as long as he is the source of their goodies.

If he steps aside, then we'll see if there really is no one else who can lead.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #564 on: January 05, 2023, 11:28:56 pm »

4 possible outcomes in order of likelihood.

1) 18 of the 22 morons cave and make a deal. McCarthy becomes Speaker.
2) McCarthy cuts a deal with devil and a dozen Dems vote for him to be Speaker. And McCarthy becomes speaker.
3) Enough Repubs miss a vote and the threshold drops to 212, and Hakeem Jeffries becomes Speaker.
4) 8 RINO’s crossover and join Dems to make…take your pick..Cheney, Kinzinger or some other such filth Speaker of the House.

Theirs is no option in which some member of the Freedom Caucus becomes Speaker.

Worse, in every one of those outcomes, the credibility and perceived competence of Republicans and the conservative cause are devastated for years to come.

You would come out lightyears ahead if you would stop calling people with which you disagree names like "morons."  I should not be the person teaching you that.  And I like yiu.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #565 on: January 05, 2023, 11:31:01 pm »
David Brody
@DBrodyReports
·
1m
To all the Never Kevins’: you do realize how this is going to end right? McCarthy & the Never Kevin Caucus will cut a deal where he becomes speaker & they get pretty much everything they want so that McCarthy is on a tight leash & politically neutered. Would that be a win?

Those terms are acceptable.
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Offline berdie

« Reply #566 on: January 05, 2023, 11:31:10 pm »
Thats how they do "normal" business, I prefer in the light of day with constituents watching.

In today's world it's easy enough to find how people vote, even in private.

This has the optics of "willy nilly".

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #567 on: January 05, 2023, 11:32:04 pm »
He's promised a good number of those 200 various goodies in return for their vote. So if they want the goodies, that's how they have to vote as long as he is the source of their goodies.

If he steps aside, then we'll see if there really is no one else who can lead.
Those 200 are not voting for McCarthy. They are voting for themselves, and whatever McCarthy has promised them. They all know McCarthy is a flaming RINO, but McCarthy made it worth it for them. When I look at McCarthy, I see Romney.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online corbe

« Reply #568 on: January 05, 2023, 11:32:39 pm »
   Now it's becoming a $hit Show...Gaetz just nominated DJT
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #569 on: January 05, 2023, 11:35:25 pm »
Don't matter if he's got 217. It don't make.

Neither does 22.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #570 on: January 05, 2023, 11:36:44 pm »

Actually, I think you could - with more justification -  view the 20 as the wreck in the highway, and they should get out of the way.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #571 on: January 05, 2023, 11:37:01 pm »
Those terms are acceptable.

No, they are not.  In negotiations with an opponent known to bargain in bad faith, never trade "Actions" for "Promises."  McCarthy only offers promises.  He's demanding actions (votes).
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #572 on: January 05, 2023, 11:37:46 pm »
You would come out lightyears ahead if you would stop calling people with which you disagree names like "morons."  I should not be the person teaching you that.  And I like yiu.

I’m calling the 22 congressman morons…because they are behaving as such. I’m NOT calling anyone on this board anything other than by their names. I’ll be first admit I’m damn mad watching conservatism dragged through the mud and tarnished for 2024. I will take your advice and reduce the rudeness. Mea Culpa.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 11:40:24 pm by Mesaclone »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #573 on: January 05, 2023, 11:38:57 pm »
Kevin McCarthy spotted in heated discussion with GOP holdout amid House speaker vote gridlock

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/kevin-mccarthy-spotted-heated-discussion-with-gop-holdout-house-speaker-vote-gridlock
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #574 on: January 05, 2023, 11:39:20 pm »
I’m calling the 22 congressman morons…because they are behaving as such. I’m NOT calling anyone on this board anything other than by their names.

I noticed that, and I thank you.
I will NOT comply.