Author Topic: Kevin McCarthy’s fate on the line, House conservatives warn speaker’s election could take days  (Read 10648 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Just as his supporters have argued that there was nothing McCarthy could do to stop Democrats, it is clear now that he is equally impotent when it comes to Republicans.

Imagine if this were the other way around. The screechy wailing by the swampy RINO's for a consensus candidate would be excruciating.

They can't even live up to the rules they put on everyone else. I see no reason to give into their entitlement.
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

For some reason, you seem to equate holding a meaningless vote in the House on a balanced budget amendment that is 100% certain to fall short of the 2/3rds required threshold with actually having a Balanced Budget Amendment added to the Constitution.

To the contrary - Such a meaningless vote should be a no-brainer to secure his speakership... Especially one that is sure to fail. And he did not have to promise to bring it to the vote, but only to bring it to conference - to allow the debate.
That's a pretty meaningless concession. And he wouldn't give it the time of day.

Which is always the case - fiscal conservatism has been thrown under the bus consecutively ever since '94. And your boy, no doubt, will do the same.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 06:56:35 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Eh, make a deal with the Democrats to change the rules for election of Speaker so that only a plurality rather than a majority is required.  So only one more round of voting.

Give Gaetz and his buddies a clear choice.  Either vote for McCarthy, or Jeffries is the new Speaker.

Online DefiantMassRINO

Term limits would be more effective than balanced budget amendment.

With a balanced budget amendment, Big Government would tinker with the definition and the accounting principles of "balanced budget" until that phrase was meaning less.

Term lmits puts accountability in the hands of the voters and not in Swamp Creatures.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

With a balanced budget amendment, Big Government would tinker with the definition and the accounting principles of "balanced budget" until that phrase was meaning less.

Term lmits puts accountability in the hands of the voters and not in Swamp Creatures.

Term limits won't do anything other than limit your choices and make the political graft even worse than it already is.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

Federal term limits is unconstitutional. You'd have to go state by state.

Offline roamer_1

Eh, make a deal with the Democrats to change the rules for election of Speaker so that only a plurality rather than a majority is required.  So only one more round of voting.

Give Gaetz and his buddies a clear choice.  Either vote for McCarthy, or Jeffries is the new Speaker.

If the GOP is willing to do that, then don't tell me about all the difference. Because there ain't none.

Online DefiantMassRINO

Might require a Federal Constituional Amendment, but that's why we need Republicans who fight, not appease.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline roamer_1

Might require a Federal Constituional Amendment, but that's why we need Republicans who fight, not appease.

No... It will not stand. The state is sovereign in elections, not the fed.

Online DefiantMassRINO

Why does the Constitutional Amendment to limit Presidential terms still stand?

Why does the Constitutional minimum age of elected Federal Reps (25), Senators(30), and Pres(35) still stand?

A Term Limits Constituional Amendment should be put forth and tested in the states, courts, and Congress.  Progress can't be made if nothing is tried.

Offline roamer_1

Why does the Constitutional Amendment to limit Presidential terms still stand?

Why does the Constitutional minimum age of elected Federal Reps (25), Senators(30), and Pres(35) still stand?

A Term Limits Constituional Amendment should be put forth and tested in the states, courts, and Congress.  Progress can't be made if nothing is tried.

In the states, I agree... I believe SCOTUS already struck it down in the fed.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Imagine if this were the other way around. The screechy wailing by the swampy RINO's for a consensus candidate would be excruciating.

They can't even live up to the rules they put on everyone else. I see no reason to give into their entitlement.
If they had actually done that, you'd be right.  But they haven't - you're literally just "imagining" what they might do if the situation was reversed.  So its kind of bogus to spin this as them "not living up to the rules they put on everyone else."
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 07:39:30 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online DefiantMassRINO

Did SCOTUS strike down a law or a ratified Federal Constitutional Amenment?

I'd like to see a ratified Federal Constiution Term Limits Amendment be tested.

Offline roamer_1

I believe a law, but I don't remember.

And I do not want a federal term limit. State is fine, if that's what they want.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
If they had actually done that, you'd be right.  But they haven't - you're literally just "imagining" what they might do if the situation was reversed.  So its kind of bogus to spin this as them "not living up to the rules they put on everyone else."

Apparently you've missed the last 50 years of GOP politics. Conservatives are always expected to fall in line, and the swampy RINO's never shut up no matter how much they are beat, or fail, or lose.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Kamaji

The Supreme Court struck down a state-level attempt to impose term limits on Members of Congress as well as a federal statute.  Source:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Term_limits_in_the_United_States#Congress

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

A Constitutional Amendment obviously can't be unconstitutional, but you need 2/3 of both houses plus 3/4 of the states for ratification.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 08:40:13 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Hoodat

Either vote for McCarthy, or Jeffries is the new Speaker.

See logical fallacies:  False Dilemma
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

The Supreme Court struck down a state-level attempt to impose term limits on Members of Congress as well as a federal statute.  Source:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Term_limits_in_the_United_States#Congress

In 1995, SCOTUS struck down various state laws that limited the terms for US representatives. In the opinion, they said that states could not lawfully impose restrictions on running for office in excess of those stated in the Constitution. So by that reasoning, Congress could not do it either by law.

A Constitutional Amendment obviously would work, but you need 2/3 of both houses plus 3/4 of the states for ratification.

I stand corrected - I knew it to be deemed unconstitutional at the federal level, but was unaware of the states.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 08:11:34 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Hoodat

In 1995, SCOTUS struck down various state laws that limited the terms for US representatives. In the opinion, they said that states could not lawfully impose restrictions on running for office in excess of those stated in the Constitution. So by that reasoning, Congress could not do it either by law.

A Constitutional Amendment obviously would work, but you need 2/3 of both houses plus 3/4 of the states for ratification.

So for McCarthy to cut a deal for the Conservative votes he needs to become Speaker, all he had to do was to allow such vote.  It would have been an effortless exercise for him and would have cost him nothing.  Yet he couldn't bring himself to say 'yes' to Conservatives.  Wow.  Just wow. 
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online DefiantMassRINO

Kevin McCarthy lacks the political intelligence, carisma, and saavy to be Speaker.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

See logical fallacies:  False Dilemma

How is that a logical fallacy if the rules are changed to make it a plurality rather than majority for Speaker?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

So for McCarthy to cut a deal for the Conservative votes he needs to become Speaker, all he had to do was to allow such vote.  It would have been an effortless exercise for him and would have cost him nothing.  Yet he couldn't bring himself to say 'yes' to Conservatives.  Wow.  Just wow.

Well, if you believe that was literally the only demand that Gaetz was making - which I don't - then McCarthy should do it unless there is some procedural reason that makes it a bigger deal than it sounds.  I'm not well-versed enough in House procedures to know the answer to that.

What I do know for certain is that purely symbolic votes doomed to fail in the House are a stupid reason to be embarrassing the GOP like this.

Offline Hoodat

How is that a logical fallacy if the rules are changed to make it a plurality rather than majority for Speaker?

So if A and B and C and D, then and only then can a binary option be considered with high enough probability to discount any other outcomes?  Sure, if that works for you.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

What I do know for certain is that purely symbolic votes doomed to fail in the House are a stupid reason to be embarrassing the GOP like this.

Well then maybe McCarthy should end it by withdrawing his name from consideration instead of repeating the same vote over and over without offering anything different.

Good grief, it isn't that difficult.  Just give the Conservatives something here to ensure that this won't be two more years of Paul Ryan.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-