Author Topic: Christmas Day Forecast: Snowiest and Coldest Since 2000  (Read 15140 times)

Offline Polly Ticks

Re: Christmas Day Forecast: Snowiest and Coldest Since 2000
« Reply #125 on: December 23, 2022, 01:34:38 pm »
-7/-30 here this morning, but less snow than they thought might hit.  Haven't attempted to drive anywhere to see how much ice is under it.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #126 on: December 23, 2022, 02:04:02 pm »
-7/-30 here this morning, but less snow than they thought might hit.  Haven't attempted to drive anywhere to see how much ice is under it.

Look at the Accuweather channel radar for the East/Northeast..

Looks like the rain of the last several hours is going to 'stall' ...the subfreezing temperatures are goi,g to turn it into sleet and snow...or at the very least, an ice rink for public roads.

IOW..."We're all gonna DIE!!!"
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #127 on: December 23, 2022, 02:09:53 pm »
We're staying above -20 tonight... and my truck is plowed out... and my water is back on... Lost something electrical on the pump which blew the breaker, which means the heat quit, and it all froze up solid...

And I hate it when my mustache and beard stick to my parka. Stupid fake fur. Trying to get at a coyote to fix that... But meh - I am looking for a new arctic parka. One that goes half way to my knees... and is trimmed in real fur.

We  got down to -12 last night. I know, lightweights.  :drunk:

Wasn't alot of snow though, should belch the ground up really nice.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #128 on: December 23, 2022, 02:10:40 pm »
IOW..."We're all gonna DIE!!!"

My dachshund certainly thought so when I let him out to do his business this morning. His entire under-carriage was in the snow drifts when he tried to make his way down the deck steps to the yard.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #129 on: December 23, 2022, 02:42:29 pm »
Got a lot of rain and wind last night.

@Polly Ticks

Dachshunds are great dogs.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #130 on: December 23, 2022, 02:47:53 pm »
I woke up to 20mph winds and a balmy 11 deg this morning down here in Texas for God's sake!  Somebody close that damned gate!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #131 on: December 23, 2022, 03:00:03 pm »
-8 degrees here -32 wind chill..... :terror:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #132 on: December 23, 2022, 03:02:06 pm »
I was awakened at 2:55 a.m. by the garbage truck picking up our neighbors' trash (we use a different service; theirs usually comes around 6 a.m. on Fridays). Clearly, they wanted to get it picked up before the front hit, which it did at 4:15 a.m. The neighbors' trash cans now are nowhere to be seen. Those 40 mph gusts have sent them to places unknown.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #133 on: December 23, 2022, 03:45:47 pm »
It's a rainy, balmy 56 degrees with slight breezes from the south east (away from the coast).
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #134 on: December 23, 2022, 04:59:12 pm »
We  got down to -12 last night. I know, lightweights:drunk:

Wasn't alot of snow though, should belch the ground up really nice.

Hey. You'll not get that from me. Anything below zero is dangerous, and anything under negative ten is plenty rough enough...

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #135 on: December 23, 2022, 05:41:41 pm »
Hey. You'll not get that from me. Anything below zero is dangerous, and anything under negative ten is plenty rough enough...

I went out to get the mail and warm the car a bit. It was already below zero and the wind was brutal. I've got good surplus gear for going out in the cold and I was frozen in very short order.

This is one of those rare years where I wasn't working during a cold snap. So nice not to have to go be out during all the crap.
The Republic is lost.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #136 on: December 23, 2022, 06:34:26 pm »
This is what I wore when I was younger to go sledding in -50F wind chills:

... it's all about wearing multiple layers of clothing, no exposed skin, and plenty of hot cocoa (made with milk, not water - marshmallows optional).
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #137 on: December 23, 2022, 06:49:30 pm »
Live on the top floor of a typical garden condominium (3 flrs).

We have 6 story tall fir trees and 5 minutes ago, a HUGE limb cracked off and crushed a 25 year old flowering crab tree...just in front of my window.

Good thing it didn't hit anyone.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline libertybele

« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2022, 06:51:38 pm »
This is what I wore when I was younger to go sledding in -50F wind chills:

... it's all about wearing multiple layers of clothing, no exposed skin, and plenty of hot cocoa (made with milk, not water - marshmallows optional).

When I  was a kid, I looked much the same.  We bundled up and layered clothing underneath our snowsuits. Double mittens and double socks underneath our boots.  We would build snow forts and have snowball fights, and we would go sledding and tobogganing. 

I bundled up my kids the same way when we lived up north, we would build snowmen and by that time they had the snow saucers.  Before we moved to FL we had one last 'snow celebration' with lots of sledding and hot cocoa -- definitely milk and not the instant stuff.

I've been down here for 30 years and I do not miss the cold.  However, a fresh powder snow glistening with the sun shining on it is truly beautiful.

It's supposed to dip down into the 30's for the next several days -- right in time for Christmas.  That will be enough cold for me.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #139 on: December 23, 2022, 07:40:47 pm »
It’s snowing here, flurries, but I’ll take it

Offline libertybele

« Reply #140 on: December 23, 2022, 07:47:33 pm »
Live on the top floor of a typical garden condominium (3 flrs).

We have 6 story tall fir trees and 5 minutes ago, a HUGE limb cracked off and crushed a 25 year old flowering crab tree...just in front of my window.

Good thing it didn't hit anyone.

Yikes. 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline berdie

« Reply #141 on: December 23, 2022, 08:42:49 pm »
I woke up to 20mph winds and a balmy 11 deg this morning down here in Texas for God's sake!  Somebody close that damned gate!

Same here @Bigun . A little better now but not enough to make me un-cranky, lol.

I have been sitting here this afternoon fantasizing about putting a dome, like the stadiums, over my house  and keeping it a balmy 75 to 80 degrees year round. :laugh: That's the first thing I'm gonna do as soon as I become a multi-billionaire.

Until that happens, I guess I'll just wait until next week when things get back to normal. There is no way I could live where this is a months long event. It's just too hard on my bones.

Offline berdie

« Reply #142 on: December 23, 2022, 08:48:24 pm »
When I  was a kid, I looked much the same.  We bundled up and layered clothing underneath our snowsuits. Double mittens and double socks underneath our boots.  We would build snow forts and have snowball fights, and we would go sledding and tobogganing. 

I bundled up my kids the same way when we lived up north, we would build snowmen and by that time they had the snow saucers.  Before we moved to FL we had one last 'snow celebration' with lots of sledding and hot cocoa -- definitely milk and not the instant stuff.

I've been down here for 30 years and I do not miss the cold.  However, a fresh powder snow glistening with the sun shining on it is truly beautiful.

It's supposed to dip down into the 30's for the next several days -- right in time for Christmas.  That will be enough cold for me.

Same here. When I was a kid, my Dad got ants in his britches and we moved for a while to Chicago...and then northwest Indiana. That really was cold and snowy. There are a lot of fun activities for that kind of weather.

But I'm sure glad we came home. :laugh:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #143 on: December 23, 2022, 09:15:54 pm »

Same here @Bigun . A little better now but not enough to make me un-cranky, lol.

I have been sitting here this afternoon fantasizing about putting a dome, like the stadiums, over my house  and keeping it a balmy 75 to 80 degrees year round. :laugh: That's the first thing I'm gonna do as soon as I become a multi-billionaire.

Until that happens, I guess I'll just wait until next week when things get back to normal. There is no way I could live where this is a months long event. It's just too hard on my bones.

I hear you loud and clear @berdie    :shotglass:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #144 on: December 23, 2022, 09:55:51 pm »
Ok, freaking 12 degrees here and still some sun light... We may see zero tonight (in freaking Alabama).... Talking about Rolling blackouts to conserve electricity... a first for us (got a mostly done nuclear plant and they closed down the coal plant .... Uggg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltcu5Cx8A7I
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 09:57:36 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline libertybele

« Reply #145 on: December 23, 2022, 10:00:30 pm »
Our temps are still dropping. Right now it's 65 with 15 mph wind -- tonight we're supposed to see a low of 37. Christmas Eve and Christmas day we will have a low of 36 and a high of 52.  Just too darn cold for SWFL!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 10:04:18 pm by libertybele »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #146 on: December 23, 2022, 10:09:40 pm »
@jmyrlefuller

Should we start a separate thread for this storm?
We should be okay using this thread. These weather events are all tied together. (Unlike the mostly discrete hurricanes, hence why you will see meteorologists up in arms when The Weather Channel tries to give names to winter storms.)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #147 on: December 23, 2022, 10:14:04 pm »
US bomb cyclone - live updates: State of emergency in New York; airport runways close; millions without power

https://news.sky.com/story/us-bomb-cyclone-live-updates-millions-without-power-three-dead-on-kentucky-roads-airports-close-12773857

Online roamer_1

« Reply #148 on: December 23, 2022, 10:35:54 pm »
I went out to get the mail and warm the car a bit. It was already below zero and the wind was brutal. I've got good surplus gear for going out in the cold and I was frozen in very short order.

This is one of those rare years where I wasn't working during a cold snap. So nice not to have to go be out during all the crap.

As I get older, and considerably less capable, going 'out in it' has become more optional... When the pump went out yesterday, it was the neighbor and my kid that went down in there... No one even asked me... Everybody knows my fat ass don't bend enough to get down in that hole.

Now, I could have had the courtesy to stand out there with em -  there's a kinda equal-opportunity-misery clause on your MAN card - It's kinda required to gather around the problem - I don't know why - Maybe as a wind-break or something...

But everybody knows I am on my stick right now, and it's tough for me to navigate snow... So it turns out no-fault, no-foul, and all I really did the whole time was stick my head out the back door and say "Y'all need more coffee?" or some such thing.

And the part that tells the tale... I'm alright with that.  happy77